Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Turned 40g of Blue Dream trim into 9g of sift, and squished out 4g

q4tUfxc.jpg

Think I'm done with alcohol quick washes...
Nice!! It's a lot better than alcohol washes isn't it?? The closest I've used ISO for that recently is to clean my grinders... Your stuff looks great, especially for being trim sift!

It's not something i'd recommend every day really, dabbing claim that is, but wait till you see how nice you're rosin's reclaim will be. If you could stand the taste of your old claim, this will be even better, you might even like the taste.
I make bho's reclaim into edibles exclusively, I always have, because i can't stand the taste of dabbing it. But the reclaim from rosin i'll dab some, and cook with some, maybe 50/50. I don't mind dabbing it, it isn't that bad at all. Its nice at night or in the early early morning if i feel like crap from a rough night. It's great to keep around.
When I hit proper low-temp carb capped rosin hits the reclaim in my drop down seriously looks almost as good as the good BHO I see in the dispensaries lol.

Don't mind the pieces of flower! I poked at it when it was cold and the reclaim was snapping off like shatter. I wash this all out with the same bottle of ISO. I wonder if it would be any good for a topical?

KEDEDrL.jpg

Sunset Sherbert, very nice smell off this. I love being able to do large or small runs, pull an eighth of oil or a few nightcap dabs.

USHrMrs.jpg

40lm0F4.jpg

Last edited:

Dangus

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
@Dangus - Hey, how are you liking that SmashLab set up? mind giving a quick review on it? im also in a position where i really dont have enough time to mess with a DIY but dont want to shell out thousands for a rig..

I’d say so far so good. I’ve only done a handful of squish sessions though, maybe 5 or 6? Mainly with sift but also testing it out with bud. Overall I don’t have a lot of experience with other presses, but this one sure seems to work pretty well for me.

I think if I did it over again I’d buy the plate/controller combo, and then buy a slightly bigger press…but then again, I like that the controller came mounted and it was ready to go. Overall I’m a happy camper here, squishing away…In fact; I’m hoping to press a lot more in the future, so hopefully I can give a better rundown soon.

@Quetzalcoatl - I'd say so. Head to head I think the rosin seems to have better flavor, and has better stability.

Cheers!

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I have my press, but I am not getting great results.

The rosin is like tar, gooey and dark, and the press is so strong it's totally squished oil deep into the parchment.

th1ndU1.jpg

You can see it smudged everywhere where I tried to recover it with my dab tool.

I had the heat @200C which I think is way too high and no-doubt helped sublimate the oil into the parchment paper and was hoping you guys could advise.

I have read https://errlax.com/2015/04/25/rosin-tech-tips-and-tricks/ and see that I got confused with 200F & 200C, so do I set my press temperature to 100C and what is best length of time to squish for and what size nuggs?

Thanks,
1DMF

koclem

Those plates you linked say they are for 1 ton press, beware

I have that HF press, got it of Craigslist :)

I went with 3x3 plates kit from 710snob for like $425 and free shipping with their coupon

No complaints

Last edited:

koclem

I have my press, but I am not getting great results.

The rosin is like tar, gooey and dark, and the press is so strong it's totally squished oil deep into the parchment.

th1ndU1.jpg

You can see it smudged everywhere where I tried to recover it with my dab tool.

I had the heat @200C which I think is way too high and no-doubt helped sublimate the oil into the parchment paper and was hoping you guys could advise.

I have read https://errlax.com/2015/04/25/rosin-tech-tips-and-tricks/ and see that I got confused with 200F & 200C, so do I set my press temperature to 100C and what is best length of time to squish for and what size nuggs?

Thanks,
1DMF
I am no expert just a guy with 3x3 12 ton and I typically press 220-260F for like 20 seconds and use a cold pack or frozen dinner package as a base to collect on if it's gooey

Also I press 1.5 grams flower at a time and puck the flowers with a 3/4" hash press before extraction

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@koclem thanks, I will do some testing over the weekend and see how I get on. I got very poor results with the small nuggs, but I had the temp way too high and was only squishing a 0.15g nugg, clearly too small from what you have just said.

I have read that some slowly increase the pressure as they squish, my press doesn't have this control, well it does, but not really that adjustable in such a short time span...

3RKo3Ht.jpg

I can set the top & bottom plate temps and I can set the length of squish in second (from 1 to 99), but the only way to increase pressure is via the valve regulator...

I47EbZY.jpg

So should I use this to increase the pressure as best I can during squish, or is it fine to just set pressure to max, and squish full pressure from the get go?

The press apparently is between @ 10,000-13,000 PSI. (@ 5-6 tons), any advice on finding the sweet spot is appreciated as I've never used a pneumatic tool in my life before.

Last edited:

koclem

@koclem thanks, I will do some testing over the weekend and see how I get on. I got very poor results with the small nuggs, but I had the temp way too high and was only squishing a 0.15g nugg, clearly too small from what you have just said.

I have read that some slowly increase the pressure as they squish, my press doesn't have this control, well it does, but not really that adjustable in such a short time span...

3RKo3Ht.jpg

I can set the top & bottom plate temps and I can set the length of squish in second (from 1 to 99), but the only way to increase pressure is via the valve regulator...

I47EbZY.jpg

So should I use this to increase the pressure as best I can during squish, or is it fine to just set pressure to max, and squish full pressure from the get go?

The press apparently is between @ 10,000-13,000 PSI. (@ 5-6 tons), any advice on finding the sweet spot is appreciated as I've never used a pneumatic tool in my life before.
I cant help you with this press or anything but if you are just pressing flowers I wouldnt worry too much about progressive pressure as it's probably the least of your issues if it is even an issue at all

koclem,
Reactions: 1DMF

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I wouldnt worry too much about progressive pressure
phew, that's one thing to cross off.

I appreciate that this press is not anything you know about, it was more pointers regarding pneumatic and Rosin Tech.

If progressive pressure isn't that important, then I just need to work out how to get the press to max pressure.

I think the temps was the killer in my initial tests and too small a nugg. I do have some Afghani squidgy black I intend squishing, but I'll wait till I have found a good setting with flower before I give that a try.

It's funny as I stuck that parchment in the freezer for an hour and was able to collect the sticky goo, stuck it in my Yocan Evolve and it tastes like I'm smoking squidgy black. So I somehow made concentrated squidgy black rosin from 'second press' flowers. Is that normal?

1DMF,

koclem

phew, that's one thing to cross off.

I appreciate that this press is not anything you know about, it was more pointers regarding pneumatic and Rosin Tech.

If progressive pressure isn't that important, then I just need to work out how to get the press to max pressure.

I think the temps was the killer in my initial tests and too small a nugg. I do have some Afghani squidgy black I intend squishing, but I'll wait till I have found a good setting with flower before I give that a try.

It's funny as I stuck that parchment in the freezer for an hour and was able to collect the sticky goo, stuck it in my Yocan Evolve and it tastes like I'm smoking squidgy black. So I somehow made concentrated squidgy black rosin from 'second press' flowers. Is that normal?
lol never heard of squidgy black before but when I searched it produced this page http://www.fakehash.com/products.php :o

koclem,
Reactions: 1DMF

miguelovic

I haven't used a pneumatic press but without progressive pressure with hash, blow outs abound. I've even blown out a few flower presses.

1000-2000PSI is the target for the next press, based off Heady Blunts, Elysian, etc.

miguelovic,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
@miguelovic Sorry not familiar with that term, what does 'blow out' mean? do you mean a tear in the parchment or pressing pouch or do you mean 'broke the press'?

1DMF,
Reactions: Pyr0

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
blow outs are when the pouch or parchment splits on the side.
I've had more blowouts trying to press hash than flower.

Keep temps low (around 100c ish)but different strains seem to flow at slightly differing temperatures in my experience

see if pressing closer to the edge of your heated plates helps so the rosin has somewhere cool to escape to :shrug:

you could also experiment with different methods of folding parchment to try to direct the flow

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
see if pressing closer to the edge of your heated plates helps so the rosin has somewhere cool to escape to :shrug:
Yeah I think you are right. I just found this...
The only diference between their press and mine is I only have one 2"x8" squishing plate, they have two, and my PSI (13k) goes slightly higher than theirs (10k).

So it looks like I need to get some squishing pouches from vapefiend, lower the temps, increase nugg size and as you say ensure it's near the edge, though as the plate is only 2" wide, it's already pretty close to the edge ;)

Looking at the comparison between the hard press 'press' and mine, I feel I am just a few steps away from having some seriously awesome rosin on my hands. Plus if I do find a sweet spot and start getting the results they produce, I'll be even more over the moon as my press cost $455.00 and theirs costs $3,500.00 :whoa:

Last edited:

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Yeah I think you are right. I just found this...
The only diference between their press and mine is I only have one 2"x8" squishing plate, they have two, and my PSI (13k) goes slightly higher than theirs (10k).

So it looks like I need to get some squishing pouches from vapefiend, lower the temps, increase nugg size and as you say ensure it's near the edge, though as the plate is only 2" wide, it's already pretty close to the edge ;)

Looking at the comparison between the hard press 'press' and mine, I feel I am just a few steps away from having some seriously awesome rosin on my hands. Plus if I do find a sweet spot and start getting the results they produce, I'll be even more over the moon as my press cost $455.00 and theirs costs $3,500.00 :whoa:
No need for pouches when squashing plants imho it would be an unnecessary expense.. maybe if it's really dry. :shrug:
I just use parchment for bud, and if I'm squashing hash, I'll wrap it in either a coffee filter or some fine steel mesh before putting it in the parchment.

I mainly squash the crap (frosty leaves and shitty buds) from my jars these days and use a t-bar pollen press to form it into pucks before squashing

I purchased a cheap 50m roll of parchment last time I restocked..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0254182003

Last edited:
Top Bottom