• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

VAPEHUNTER

I used some strut on my Rosin table to mount my vise vertical. It is very strong and will not bend by hand.
"Unistrut" brand strut is very over priced. Look for other makers of strut like "PHD Manufacturing", "Power Strut", "Nustrut" by Kumar.... Depending on where you live you may be able to find others.
Here is a link to the PHD website. LINK → http://phd-mfg.com/product-category/strut-products-accessories/
The "90° fittings" and "Channel" are most likely the sections where you will find what you need.

JwuOJxs.jpg

PSnkRmF.jpg

dabsonthemountain

Yep unislut can't be bent by mere mortals...no way. And you're right they came strong with this stuff considering the connections possible. Its applications are endless. Can't believe you bent it but maybe you aren't mortal!

Channel-web.jpg

Some c-channel 8620 steel bars is what we use to build commercial 30 tons presses but its $40/ft...not cheap but built to take a pounding.
I'm definitely mortal... that's why I questioned it. I didn't bend it forever, but got the ends to flex in my hands. Lucky me I could get pre-cut sections just the right length too. Should I use those with the channel facing outward as the vertical bars or re-do the whole frame? I could just get 1/4 inch steel flatbar for 25% cheaper, My problem would be drilling the holes perfectly with just a hand drill.

Then the top and bottom plate don't seem to deform at all. I can't see them blowing up disastrously like the vertical bars, only bending. I'm going to reinforce that with the steel left over i used from the plates just incase to put it to use. I guess as it sits was just the first step, I can't afford to squish right now anyway. It's only been put under pressure a few times now and it's taken back apart.

I think the jack isn't holding pressure though now too. I'll test it on my car later, it seems to sink back down under pressure in the press.

dabsonthemountain,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

EpicNameGuy

Hi all, it's been awhile. I tried to search this beast thread but was unable to do so because my search criteria is too small..

I remembers seeing plenty of times an ideal psi to be shooting for. I even remember seeing a reference to ideal psi/temp combos. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction?

EpicNameGuy,

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Impossible to tell unless you can watch and verify, but 28% seems a bit high, as the flower would have to have contained 28% at least to begin with. Thats a crazy high % for a strain. Cup winners occasionally go higher...but that's really rarified air. If its true...WANT.

Technically isn't rosin about 60-70% THC? So you could get 28% yield off 18-20% flowers because not all the yield is goodies, right?
I was pulling 28% consistently off some Cookies Kush I grew, and though it was frosty and dank, it was also not really cured yet and I'm betting had more than average water weight.

Also if anyone missed it Bubbleman put up a short review of Soilgrown's new press, a compressed air bottle jack design

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Impossible to tell unless you can watch and verify, but 28% seems a bit high, as the flower would have to have contained 28% at least to begin with. Thats a crazy high % for a strain. Cup winners occasionally go higher...but that's really rarified air. If its true...WANT.
You're not accounting for plant fats from trichomes and terpenes which can contribute to higher yields.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Nintenjoo

I got my Joel W. plates and my eBay soldering irons.

Spent some time yesterday dialing in temps with my Fluke IR gun, taking readings off of a piece of parchment covering the plate.

Seems to be very consistent temps.

The plates are great. I could see wanting bigger ones for production, but these are great for personal use/friends etc.

It's definitely a quicker and easier big step up from my metal plates heated in a toaster oven.

I'm using them on a 1 ton arbor press. May someday work up to a multi ton Hydraulic press, but will most likely go with bigger plates if I do that.

Overall, great experience. Joel W. was great to deal with, and the eBay soldering irons fit perfectly and work great.

Haven't checked yields etc yet, but I should be in the ballpark of 10-20% depending on strain.

EDIT: Just more thoughts: I had no problem paying for bigger more expensive plates, but the heaters/pid were always another large added expense.

Using $28 worth of soldering irons, which actually let you dial in temps with great consistency is genius.

It's unobtrusive and you get a heater for each plate.

You can get everything you need for like $240, which is pretty sweet.

Anyway, just wanted to expand on what I said previously.

As we all know, it's rad to be able to make concentrates quickly and easily. The Joel W. plates are a perfect low cost middle ground for someone wanting to step it up, but doesn't need anything for high volume production.

Thanks dude!

Last edited:

dabsonthemountain

I got around to finishing my press. After using it a few times I did need to make some changes. I trippled the vertical beams, and added more steel to the top and bottom. And a bunch more bolts... And a hideous but tough wooden base. There's basically no "tension" on anything now, It's all just relaxing in it's place. I tested it just doubled up seemed perfect, but then trippled it because why not at that point.

I didn't use filters, and my scale only does .1 increments so yield will always be slightly a mystery, but so far its been +-20% on bud i didnt really think would press too well. It smells very coffee like. But the pucks still seem moist... after 8 tons,, how? On represses i'm getting just about nothing, but the pucks still look like they have oil... whether i press a g or a half g. I could smoke one and see if I feel anything i guess, but does that really prove anything either way no matter what happens? Should I try an iso run on it and see what's up?

Could I have gone with too much pressure for my small plates and pucks? Did I press the oil into the plants fibers? Is it just the bud?

dabsonthemountain,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I got around to finishing my press. After using it a few times I did need to make some changes. I trippled the vertical beams, and added more steel to the top and bottom. And a bunch more bolts... And a hideous but tough wooden base. There's basically no "tension" on anything now, It's all just relaxing in it's place. I tested it just doubled up seemed perfect, but then trippled it because why not at that point.

I didn't use filters, and my scale only does .1 increments so yield will always be slightly a mystery, but so far its been +-20% on bud i didnt really think would press too well. It smells very coffee like. But the pucks still seem moist... after 8 tons,, how? On represses i'm getting just about nothing, but the pucks still look like they have oil... whether i press a g or a half g. I could smoke one and see if I feel anything i guess, but does that really prove anything either way no matter what happens? Should I try an iso run on it and see what's up?

Could I have gone with too much pressure for my small plates and pucks? Did I press the oil into the plants fibers? Is it just the bud?
You haven't mentioned temperatures you're using and how long you're pressing?

No you will not extract all of the oils from the rosin chips, mine don't come out "moist" or glistening with a lot of oil. There's a little but not a lot. If you press too long it starts to vaporize the bud, is that happening with your setup? What's the cure on it like? If nothing is coming out on the second press I guess it's done... when I do a second press I get the rosin chip warm from the first press and fold it in half and press that. Sometimes if I do less time on the first press the second will yield decent yellow oil, usually not. You can vape the rosin chips, yeah. I'm not sure what to do with mine.

dabsonthemountain

You haven't mentioned temperatures you're using and how long you're pressing?

No you will not extract all of the oils from the rosin chips, mine don't come out "moist" or glistening with a lot of oil. There's a little but not a lot. If you press too long it starts to vaporize the bud, is that happening with your setup? What's the cure on it like? If nothing is coming out on the second press I guess it's done... when I do a second press I get the rosin chip warm from the first press and fold it in half and press that. Sometimes if I do less time on the first press the second will yield decent yellow oil, usually not. You can vape the rosin chips, yeah. I'm not sure what to do with mine.

I pressed at 190-200 for the first press, and bumped it to 230-240 for the second press to get everything. I didn't count times to be honest, i press until it seems done squirting, anywhere from 45-60 seconds usually? It's never exact.

It's just the oil thats left looks like oil that would normally come out in my old vise setup or the kreg clamp setup. it looks like it should have another press. I got more yield than with the clamp setup, but the chips look much drier. I'm thinking it's just temps now, i'm not too worried about this now.

And i've been smoking the chips to be honest... I press a g a day, and then I have 2 bowls for at night. I was making coconut oil with them, but it took maybe 10-12 grams worth of chips to feel any effects. I think I'm going to make some rso and make caps this time, i'm guessing it should be more effective.

dabsonthemountain,

063_XOBX

Ganjapreneur
Sorry to just jump in here with a personal question but please bear with me.

I have somewhere between 5-7g of very nice kief, some pressed, some loose and was considering pressing rosin out of it.

Could I realistically expect high enough yields (<60%) to be worth the initial investment instead of just vaping the kief as is?

063_XOBX,

Vapodudule

In fact where you use some SS 50+ microns mesh filers, you can save the chips of kif to be vaped. return rate depends on material and technique.

dabsonthemountain

Sorry to just jump in here with a personal question but please bear with me.

I have somewhere between 5-7g of very nice kief, some pressed, some loose and was considering pressing rosin out of it.

Could I realistically expect high enough yields (<60%) to be worth the initial investment instead of just vaping the kief as is?
Depending on your setup theres basically no initial investment. The clamp setup on the page before runs at about $40 in total, and to upgrade right away from the clamp, you can get a cheap vice at lowes for the same price as a clamp, but you need a sturdy place to mount it. It's more than worth that 40 bucks though, that's dinner you don't go out on next week. You'll live, and have more fun at home pressing everything in sight for months on end...

dabsonthemountain,

raunchmonster

I'm new to this whole rosin thing so bear with me here. If I were to use classic hair straightener technique, should I vape the pressed weed too? You know, to make sure I get everything out of it?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
should I vape the pressed weed too? You know, to make sure I get everything out of it?
There is no 'should' , it's totally up to you. I do especially because I'm using wimp power and some straighteners, so the extraction is puny.

Though I warn you, although the left over puck will get you high, it don't taste too great, as you have already remove most of the flavour by applying heat and pressure to the bud and extracting the terpenes / flavanoids into the Rosin.

Top Bottom