Rosin suited portables

mc

So everyone is thinking I'm much better off with a DTv3 than a Puffco+ from the sounds of it ... pain that can't be had in Canada, but oh well.

On another note, would about any decent pen work well if the rosin was pressed using a fine micron filter bag? And continuing that thought ... what size bag would be good for 2-4g at a time? I've typically been doing 2g presses for .4 - .5g of rosin depending on starting material ... would be comfortable doubling that to do 3.5-4g presses I think now.

What do you mean can't be had in Canada? You can get it for 30 bucks with the links below. Mine got here in under 2 weeks to the same province you live in.

Matts' Discounts for the holidays

hydratube http://ineedhemp.com/product/large-hydratube-attachment-v3-donut-atomizer/

v3 concentrate http://ineedhemp.com/product/divine...mic-donut-atomizer-fcombustion-discount-link/

dry herb gen 2 http://ineedhemp.com/product/generation-2-dc-ceramic-rebuildable-dry-herb-atomizer-copy/

As for the question about the pen and filters. You can't filter out ALL the wax and lipids but you can make it "cleaner". But it'll still be much more dirty than Solvent wax.

mc,
Reactions: JCat

shredder

So everyone is thinking I'm much better off with a DTv3 than a Puffco+ from the sounds of it ... pain that can't be had in Canada, but oh well.

On another note, would about any decent pen work well if the rosin was pressed using a fine micron filter bag? And continuing that thought ... what size bag would be good for 2-4g at a time? I've typically been doing 2g presses for .4 - .5g of rosin depending on starting material ... would be comfortable doubling that to do 3.5-4g presses I think now.

Rosin works in most pens, and the cleaner the better. I think most of the concern is it can build up on metal coils making them messy and their hard to clean. And if you don't clean them it tastes funky.

Bags 20-40 microns should do a respectable job catching plant wax in rosin. You can also double up coffee filters instead of bags. U tube has videos that show how to wrap pucks.

It's just my theory but I think the temps you press at can make a difference as well. Hotter would melt more wax than cooler. I have zero data on this tho.

shredder,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
What do you mean can't be had in Canada? You can get it for 30 bucks with the links below. Mine got here in under 2 weeks to the same province you live in.
Lol ... I know I can order it from the US to CA but 2 weeks instead of 2 day. (I'm so far north in the province it takes less time to ship a province over from the south than to me!)

Great that it's free shipping, but if I want it in <1 week it will cost 40-50 in shipping!

Likely I will order one but I need a full kit as I don't have a battery for it.

JCat,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Because Source keeps using bad heater designs, they just don't "get it" - I'd be surprised if anyone at Source actually dabs. Look at the power capabilities of box mods, the ONLY reason a quartz cup would take too long to heat up is due to bad heater design choices. If you could slam that bucket with 200 watts it would heat up almost instantly. It might not even take half that much power with the right design. Source only rates their XXL quartz at 33 watts max, that's what I run my Divine Tribe donuts at and that's without trying to pass heat through another material entirely like the Source buckets. The crucible cup would need an embedded heating element like a donut to save on power requirements as the thermal transfer is faster, especially if subbing in something with higher thermal conductivity like a silicon carbide bucket, which would be ideal. Have you tried the Source SiC nail yet? Might deliver better performance, though I do agree with you that their heaters caused pooling for me also.
I think you misunderstood my heat issues. The Source atomizer design does not lack power IME, nor does it take long to heat. In fact its instant as you can immediately see the wax run from the center of the floor of the quartz cup as soon as you press the button. The issue with heat is not speed but retention. These quartz dishes are so thin and are heating at the bottom so fast that the oil runs to the walls. With the xxl being so much bigger the oil does not make it up the walls so this is a big plus over the xl nails. This would probably fix your leaking over the top of the cup issues @FlyingLow as it does not seem to even run up the walls, just pools along them whereas in the xl nail it would run straight up the wall and over.

Since the quartz dish does not retain heat well I find myself heating the dish in a pulsing method as to avoid overheating as well as to allow the material to run back over the center of the cup floor where the little bit of heat retention exists.

I do this because I am looking for the sublimation effect. IMO the biggest difference from actual dabbing and portable concentrate devices is the sublimation process that takes place in actual dabbing. Sublimation for those who don't know is when a solid turns to a gas without going to a liquid form in between. I don't think there is much sublimation going on in any of the portable concentrate devices.

I have not tried the Source sic nail yet, however I did just put in my preorder for one about an hour ago so we will see if that has any more potential than their quartz.

I took my family to Disneyworld this week and brought a lot of devices. I brought my Dynavap M, DTV3 with Source Terra 2 crucible cup, Puffco +, Source xl quartz nail, Source quartz xxl, and a j hook with the TAG sic dish and a big fucking torch all for hotel use. I brought 2 prefilled carts (Space Ape and TheTruth- both medical grade from CA) and 1 Trinity tank for park use.

The clear winners from performamce and effect were the Source xxl quartz nail, jhook with TAG sic dish, and the Trinity Tank. The only device not used or tried on the entire trip was the DTV3. Maybe the crucible cup will change this for me but I just have no desire to use the DTV3 even in my modified version.

The Trinity tank tho...a couple times in the park had me thinking I was a little...goofy! @Accept also has me interested in the V2 Amigo carts he said he runs with straight rosin as well as that inception coil. The inception coil seems like it could make for a better hotel device while the V2 amigo sounds good for out of the house use if the Trinity cart(still testing) does not work out. Then there are the big ecig tank options @Vape Donkey 650 and @Steven have been testing and finding success with but those probably don't fit in this topic since they can only handle distillate or concentrate mixed with a thinning material of some sort.

I used to love the Puffco + but all the reasons posted in this thread are the same valid reasons I fell out of love. I would baby those atomizers for a month and then get overzealous one day and the thing would taste like shit from there on out. Within a week or two after the carts would read no atomizer and find the trash can promptly after. I tried justifying using them by getting them in a 5 pack when they were 25% off on their site. Eventually I got tired of taking baby sips and constant reloading and qtipping so thats how I ended up going to pre-filled carts and the Trinity Tank. The pre-filled carts are more or less microdosing at my tolerance but the Trinity Tank really does have potential in the performance arena.

asdf420

There's the G4:20-C... seems like gigawax hasn't even been mentioned in the whole forums?

Last edited:
asdf420,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I think you misunderstood my heat issues. The Source atomizer design does not lack power IME, nor does it take long to heat. In fact its instant as you can immediately see the wax run from the center of the floor of the quartz cup as soon as you press the button. The issue with heat is not speed but retention. These quartz dishes are so thin and are heating at the bottom so fast that the oil runs to the walls. With the xxl being so much bigger the oil does not make it up the walls so this is a big plus over the xl nails. This would probably fix your leaking over the top of the cup issues @FlyingLow as it does not seem to even run up the walls, just pools along them whereas in the xl nail it would run straight up the wall and over.

Since the quartz dish does not retain heat well I find myself heating the dish in a pulsing method as to avoid overheating as well as to allow the material to run back over the center of the cup floor where the little bit of heat retention exists.

I do this because I am looking for the sublimation effect. IMO the biggest difference from actual dabbing and portable concentrate devices is the sublimation process that takes place in actual dabbing. Sublimation for those who don't know is when a solid turns to a gas without going to a liquid form in between. I don't think there is much sublimation going on in any of the portable concentrate devices.

I have not tried the Source sic nail yet, however I did just put in my preorder for one about an hour ago so we will see if that has any more potential than their quartz.

I took my family to Disneyworld this week and brought a lot of devices. I brought my Dynavap M, DTV3 with Source Terra 2 crucible cup, Puffco +, Source xl quartz nail, Source quartz xxl, and a j hook with the TAG sic dish and a big fucking torch all for hotel use. I brought 2 prefilled carts (Space Ape and TheTruth- both medical grade from CA) and 1 Trinity tank for park use.

The clear winners from performamce and effect were the Source xxl quartz nail, jhook with TAG sic dish, and the Trinity Tank. The only device not used or tried on the entire trip was the DTV3. Maybe the crucible cup will change this for me but I just have no desire to use the DTV3 even in my modified version.

The Trinity tank tho...a couple times in the park had me thinking I was a little...goofy! @Accept also has me interested in the V2 Amigo carts he said he runs with straight rosin as well as that inception coil. The inception coil seems like it could make for a better hotel device while the V2 amigo sounds good for out of the house use if the Trinity cart(still testing) does not work out. Then there are the big ecig tank options @Vape Donkey 650 and @Steven have been testing and finding success with but those probably don't fit in this topic since they can only handle distillate or concentrate mixed with a thinning material of some sort.

I used to love the Puffco + but all the reasons posted in this thread are the same valid reasons I fell out of love. I would baby those atomizers for a month and then get overzealous one day and the thing would taste like shit from there on out. Within a week or two after the carts would read no atomizer and find the trash can promptly after. I tried justifying using them by getting them in a 5 pack when they were 25% off on their site. Eventually I got tired of taking baby sips and constant reloading and qtipping so thats how I ended up going to pre-filled carts and the Trinity Tank. The pre-filled carts are more or less microdosing at my tolerance but the Trinity Tank really does have potential in the performance arena.

As far as I understand there is no sublimation going on when dabbing under normal circumstances, that was marketing used by the Sublimator team. You would have to do screaming red hot dabs to (theoretically) achieve sublimation. The liquid phase exists, it's just short termed since concentrates are so easily meltable.

I've had Source Nails and had to send them back due to other design flaws I won't get into, but the oil ran on mine because of the heating element not soaking thoroughly, it was only heating the floor.
Unlike a design like this.

fqn_nail3_.jpg

I haven't used the XXL Source nails so I can't comment on the spiral tungsten coil heater they switched to from the ceramic donuts in past Source Nails. One cool thing with wax pens compared to other dabbing methods is that you get a stabilized uptemp, where cannabinoids and terpenes are vaporized in order based on their volatility and vaporization points for amazing flavors. A $500 Hex-Nail accomplishes this for enails, though the wax pen community has been enjoying that feature for some time.
http://www.d-nail.com/PDF/uptemp-procedure-writeup.pdf

I use the DTv3 as a torchless uptemp e-nail with the screws out of the housing for easy loading. I'm getting to the point where I see concentrate use in general as quite finicky and requiring lots of maintenance for a great experience. If I don't q tip my nail after every hit performance absolutely declines and that just doesn't happen to me when vaping flower. I q-tip my V3 also because it's ultimately less maintenance than trying to clean them later. Obviously that changes the portability of the device but it's all subjective. I know people who won't use pens at all, they bring a mini pelican flight case everywhere with a whole dab setup. And sometimes it really is faster/easier to do a torched dab, my mini tube is about as big as a box mod, and with a smaller quartz banger I can dab off it even with a small triple jet torch lighter.

I really want to try the Trinity, it's like #1 on the list of devices I want to try, the W9 SiC/Ti heaters do taste great. I'm running an Amigo Liberty V9 right now with straight extract, no dilution. I'm curious how the Trinity compares. Trinity heater technology with Amigo removable center post loading would be epic. Being able to scoop in extract instead of syringing is a game changer.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Those liberty tanks look neat man. I am hoping to grab some, but when I look on DHGate, I see 12 versions available. Which one do you use @invertedisdead/which is recommended if you know?

Also been thinking about those Trinity tanks as well, was just waiting to see if w9tech was going to do some sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday thingie.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
As far as I understand there is no sublimation going on when dabbing under normal circumstances, that was marketing used by the Sublimator team. You would have to do screaming red hot dabs to (theoretically) achieve sublimation. The liquid phase exists, it's just short termed since concentrates are so easily meltable.

I've had Source Nails and had to send them back due to other design flaws I won't get into, but the oil ran on mine because of the heating element not soaking thoroughly, it was only heating the floor.
Unlike a design like this.

fqn_nail3_.jpg

I haven't used the XXL Source nails so I can't comment on the spiral tungsten coil heater they switched to from the ceramic donuts in past Source Nails. One cool thing with wax pens compared to other dabbing methods is that you get a stabilized uptemp, where cannabinoids and terpenes are vaporized in order based on their volatility and vaporization points for amazing flavors. A $500 Hex-Nail accomplishes this for enails, though the wax pen community has been enjoying that feature for some time.
http://www.d-nail.com/PDF/uptemp-procedure-writeup.pdf

I use the DTv3 as a torchless uptemp e-nail with the screws out of the housing for easy loading. I'm getting to the point where I see concentrate use in general as quite finicky and requiring lots of maintenance for a great experience. If I don't q tip my nail after every hit performance absolutely declines and that just doesn't happen to me when vaping flower. I q-tip my V3 also because it's ultimately less maintenance than trying to clean them later. Obviously that changes the portability of the device but it's all subjective. I know people who won't use pens at all, they bring a mini pelican flight case everywhere with a whole dab setup. And sometimes it really is faster/easier to do a torched dab, my mini tube is about as big as a box mod, and with a smaller quartz banger I can dab off it even with a small triple jet torch lighter.

I really want to try the Trinity, it's like #1 on the list of devices I want to try, the W9 SiC/Ti heaters do taste great. I'm running an Amigo Liberty V9 right now with straight extract, no dilution. I'm curious how the Trinity compares. Trinity heater technology with Amigo removable center post loading would be epic. Being able to scoop in extract instead of syringing is a game changer.
This was such an easy post to like. I will even go as far to say you could be right on your thoughts on sublimation. I am not looking for that stabilized uptemp you mention tho. I find dabbing at a steady temp tastes well enough for my preference without the need to uptemp but I do understand the joy of uptemping. I believe there is something to that timeframe of turning your concentrate from a solid/liquid state to a vapor. Furthermore, I am thinking that dropping onto a fully heat retained dish compared to a room temperature flash heated dish drastically changes this process as well as the timeline. Otherwise I just cannot explain why I cannot get the feeling of 3 dabs from a wax pen without loading 3 times as much and taking much longer.

I plan to order some amigos soon. I also would love a good link for US delivery if you have one. Scooping in concentrate sounds pretty good. My Trinity tank needs a refill and I am dreading having to heat my material to an unstable sticky liquid/sauce and making a mess again. Perhaps this time will go much better.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@seaofgreens @nosmoking I'm using the Amigo Liberty V9. Though I just loaded it yesterday, so I definitely haven't spent enough time with it to reach any conclusions. There's US sellers on eBay, though the price is higher than ordering abroad. I'll report more on how this works out, though this is BHO, not rosin. Undiluted though, so that's interesting. I know exactly what you mean about nail hits hitting harder. Perhaps it is more thoroughly decarboxylating going straight to that hot nail? I definitely agree I get stronger effects off the e-nail or banger.

GTxi8uG.jpg

GVjN1ogO.jpg

GVjOaxP.jpg

2clicker

Observer
the best option for a portable rig ripping like an actual dab is going to be a load as you go option. forget about any of the devices that let you load more than one dab at a time. i say this because while youre vaping that first rip the rest of the oil is being heated up also. and that kills terps. and that kills flavor. fuck that.

the closest thing to an actual dab is going to be an rebuildable atomizer with a coil that wicks and heats. that way you load a dab, vape it, and its gone until the next dab. there is nothing left behind. thats the problem with all of the manufacturered options IMO. every one i have tried leaves shit behind and that doesnt taste good. all of these attys taste nice at first and then meh after some use. sure they still work, but youve already sacrificed the flavorful “dab” youre after.

if youre after a “dab” that you can carry around in your pocket... then do yourself a favor and get a nice temperature control device, a mesh AND wire rebuildable dripping atomizer like the Vandy Vape Mesh RDA, and some 316SS mesh. you can build coils with wire also, but no everyone is into building and the mesh atomizers are so damn easy to install.

just put your dab on the mesh in the pic below, cap it, rip it, and repeat if needed. “dab” quality flavor and speed in your pocket. its so easy and the mesh can be cleaned and reused many times.
ttbQEtL.jpg

EDIT*. i should add that i did realize this was about rosin specifically. i dont see much contaminate in my rosin so i just run it on my coils like any other oil.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That's why I love the Divine Tribe V3. It offers true dab quality hits in that the donut can actually be swabbed clean every hit like a real nail. It's the only atomizer I've used that mimics a real low temp nail hit. Any system that wicks is going to hold residuals which contaminate the experience. I think that's a pretty sweet looking setup though, I'd like to try it!

2clicker

Observer
That's why I love the Divine Tribe V3. It offers true dab quality hits in that the donut can actually be swabbed clean every hit like a real nail. It's the only atomizer I've used that mimics a real low temp nail hit. Any system that wicks is going to hold residuals which contaminate the experience. I think that's a pretty sweet looking setup though, I'd like to try it!

yeah DT gets a lot of love here and it seems for good reason. DT always seems friendly and helpful as hell. and the reviews are great. i just have never pulled the trigger on one. so the donuts can be run in TC? or do you need to utilize the TCR settings?

ill have to go check out the DT website again.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
yeah DT gets a lot of love here and it seems for good reason. DT always seems friendly and helpful as hell. and the reviews are great. i just have never pulled the trigger on one. so the donuts can be run in TC? or do you need to utilize the TCR settings?

ill have to go check out the DT website again.

Yeah, they run in TC Ni mode, but better with a custom TCR value. I run mine with an Arctic Fox profile on a few different Joyetech mods. His sealed floor quartz cup version should be out soon though which is what most of us are waiting for.

2clicker

Observer
Yeah, they run in TC Ni mode, but better with a custom TCR value. I run mine with an Arctic Fox profile on a few different Joyetech mods. His sealed floor quartz cup version should be out soon though which is what most of us are waiting for.

are you a windows or OS user? i want to put Arctic Fox on my VTC mini and Vtwo mini, but have a mac and im not sure how to install it. can it only be installed on a PC, but then can be adjusted on a mac?

i am having some wonky performance issues with my new VV Mesh RDA. basically the TC works most of the time and then out of nowhere just gets a faint red hot burning my dab. then when i turn it up to watch the glow i can see the “TC” doing its thing. it pulses up and down to attempt to keep a steady temp, but unfortunately the pulses are quite big adjustments. in short Joyetech devices simply do not do true temp control. the Arctic Fox guys explained how Joyetech use a work around for their week 510 connection. i forget exactly how they designed it to work, but its shit. and this goes for all Joyetech affiliated products like Eleaf and Wismec. i understand that Arctic Fox will appear to improve a Joyetech device, but even the Arctic Fox developers say their firmware makes the device worse overall. so i dont know if i even want to use my Joyetech devices anymore. i want true temp control. and thats only gonna come from a DNA, yihi, or FSK chip.

so now im in the market for a DNA device i think. looking at the lost vape paranormal and the lost vape therion. i like the look of the therion a bit more, but prefer the hinged battery door on the paranormal to the magnet door on the therion. honestly id LOVE to find a single 18650 DNA device that looks nice and is available in the US.

oh the drama of a concentrate user wanting true temp contro for his portabe dabs. the struggle is real.

Hey 2clicker, do you wick with cotton on the mesh rda or just run the mesh open air? I hated the mesh rda's for actual ejuice, maybe I can use them for my homemade rosin too.

I would recommend an fsk chip over the dna. The hohmslice is 26650 but has the fsk chip with 2 amp fast charge on the limited. There's limited firmware updates and you do all the tc on the device, rather than setting up on pc, downloading then using. I love my dna mods, but they can be a hassle.

downslexia,

BiPolarBear

I've had no real problems vaping dirty rosin out of my Source Orb 4 Signature kit. It could be improved upon but with 9 atomizers to choose from. Some work much better and cleaner than others for rosin. Lol

Last edited:
BiPolarBear,

mc

This will handle ANYTHING you throw into it; You can do this with either DT atomizer, the Gen 2 DH or DTv3 donut atomizer. I did it with the Gen 2 DH one to keep my DTv3 with the donut for flavour town. But this I describe below, will handle rosin like a champ, and leak proof. (when upright)

So watching others like /u/WPTA011 by way of /u/vapeverythingnyc do this with their DTv3 I decided to do this with the Gen 2 Dry Herb instead since it's kind of built for that type of coil. Well it works wonderfully, fits great, and can be used with your DT HT.

Here's the Terra 2 core atomizer cup on top of the base dish from the DT Gen 2 coil. I removed everything from both coil setups and only kept these 2 pieces, 1 from each.

https://imgur.com/sOp3rBf

Top view: https://imgur.com/4UrueL7

Air flow from letters comes through sides, into the cup, and then up into the splash guard holes.

https://imgur.com/wjHpK6f

With splash guard, makes the airflow great!

https://imgur.com/t7MXhIr

And with the HVT HT ring I can use the Gen 2 with the DT Hydrotube.

https://imgur.com/weEhGuH

It's working very well on TCR 450 (.0045) at 30w and 415f.

2clicker

Observer
my understanding is that the SAI is a great vape for concentrates... https://humboldtvapetech.com/

that's what i'd go with if i wanted a portable option.

interesting. hadnt seen this yet. its like the DTV3, but not a ceramic atty body. of which i think is ideal. the ceramic V3 looks cool, but id be worried about dropping and breaking it. or someone else dropping it. also... wondering why these “dab” attys are so tall...? certainly you can fit the cup and coil into a smaller cavity. of which means more flavor.

That's why I love the Divine Tribe V3. It offers true dab quality hits in that the donut can actually be swabbed clean every hit like a real nail. It's the only atomizer I've used that mimics a real low temp nail hit. Any system that wicks is going to hold residuals which contaminate the experience.

been thinking about this statement more. so when you say “swabbed clean after every hit”... how is this done? and are you saying that you get absolutely everything left over from your last rip when swabbing? and that there is no residual oil left? nothing creeps under the donut where it cant be swabbed?

i think im going to cop a DT cup/donut kit. the one with the two sizes of cups and donuts. and install them in a standard sized RDA. do the swabbing bit and see whats up.

the only negative i see here is that the mod/rig cannot be inverted for sticking into the gong of some glass. thats where wicking coils shine.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
been thinking about this statement more. so when you say “swabbed clean after every hit”... how is this done? and are you saying that you get absolutely everything left over from your last rip when swabbing? and that there is no residual oil left? nothing creeps under the donut where it cant be swabbed?

i think im going to cop a DT cup/donut kit. the one with the two sizes of cups and donuts. and install them in a standard sized RDA. do the swabbing bit and see whats up.

the only negative i see here is that the mod/rig cannot be inverted for sticking into the gong of some glass. thats where wicking coils shine.

Pretty much all the residuals are wiped clean as long as proper temp control was used so nothing burns on. Some material will eventually make its way under the donut though. It's just one of those things, if you're proactive about holding the atomizer vertical, and don't overload you can be pretty good at preventing it though. A sealed floor cup which can't leak out of the bottom is ideal though. The new Divine Tribe Quartz Quest atomizer should be out soon which will have a sealed crucible.

Yeah, doesn't work for inverting into glass, I agree wicks work well for that, I like to use my W9 Gen 3 KISS carts for that. The porous SiC works quite well inverted, and the mouthpiece for this atty fits directly into 10mm and 14mm joints.

2clicker

Observer
Pretty much all the residuals are wiped clean as long as proper temp control was used so nothing burns on. Some material will eventually make its way under the donut though. It's just one of those things, if you're proactive about holding the atomizer vertical, and don't overload you can be pretty good at preventing it though. A sealed floor cup which can't leak out of the bottom is ideal though. The new Divine Tribe Quartz Quest atomizer should be out soon which will have a sealed crucible.

Yeah, doesn't work for inverting into glass, I agree wicks work well for that, I like to use my W9 Gen 3 KISS carts for that. The porous SiC works quite well inverted, and the mouthpiece for this atty fits directly into 10mm and 14mm joints.

how were you “swabbing” the donut?

2clicker,
Reactions: Morty

mc

how were you “swabbing” the donut?
you can use a Q-tip or what I do, just use a ball of tissue/paper towl. I use the corners with the device at an angle to soak up anything below the cup, then I just push the tissue against the donut itself and turn while firing. Although this is only possible because I keep my base unscrewed. Here's some other tips on how to prevent side leakage;

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivineTrib...5/preventative_cleaning_tip_for_side_leakage/

Top Bottom