Rosin suited portables

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Hi there,

I am a concentrates ignorant going to educate myself a little through a cheap-small rosin press (the slug.33)

For the little I know rosin can be dirtier (more plant particulate) than other solvent based and so coil based vapes aren't the best suited for the job

Hence my question what portable to vape rosin? Muad dib? Dab master 2.5? DT V3?

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hi there,

I am a concentrates ignorant going to educate myself a little through a cheap-small rosin press (the slug.33)

For the little I know rosin can be dirtier (more plant particulate) than other solvent based and so coil based vapes aren't the best suited for the job

Super like your question ... something I've been pondering myself these days ... I purchased a Yocan Magneto (using Evolve Plus Ceramic Donut Atomizers) and it works ok but seems to be clogging up very quickly on the first atomizer. We'll see how cleaning it goes, and it seems like due to the "dirtier" extract, it's wasting some of it as when you reload some of it sort of gets lost in the other stuff in there and you have to overcook it to get it out which results in wasting the flavor as well.

Thinking about the Puffco Plus with the all ceramic chamber ... might be a better fit due to being able to swab out on each load or few to get rid of any build up?

Would be awesome if someone w/ experience (one of our rosin and pen guru's on the forum) would speak up! :lol:

JCat

Accessory Maker
+1, interesting question.

i guess a Vapcap with concentrate pad / hemp / cotton would work quite well, @Squiby is the expert here.

VERY easy to clean and long lasting!
I'm really looking for something that's quick/easy/pocketable. Take out, within a few seconds, take a hit or few, and put away. (Like my Grasshopper without having to carry around batteries and load/empty herb all the time ... a simple pen with a little bit of rosin on me would be perfect if it would be relatively efficient)

biohacker

I'm really looking for something that's quick/easy/pocketable. Take out, within a few seconds, take a hit or few, and put away. (Like my Grasshopper without having to carry around batteries and load/empty herb all the time ... a simple pen with a little bit of rosin on me would be perfect if it would be relatively efficient)

Many have been looking for this elusive unicorn, sadly none such exists. There are a few threads on here with experts like Herbivore21 vouching for the puffco+ although it apparently breaks as much or more than the GH! The DTv3 seems like it's the best out there with a mod box from the pros i've read here.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The Divine Tribe V3 works great for rosin, but if you can wait a bit longer the new sealed floor all quartz crucible cup model is right around the corner, which I am anticipating to be the closest to an oil rig hit. Only negative with the V3 is it really works best with single personal dab size servings, but the new model will improve on that with the top airflow sealed floor design.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
The Divine Tribe V3 works great for rosin, but if you can wait a bit longer the new sealed floor all quartz crucible cup model is right around the corner, which I am anticipating to be the closest to an oil rig hit. Only negative with the V3 is it really works best with single personal dab size servings, but the new model will improve on that with the top airflow sealed floor design.
Unfortunately I don't think the quartz crucible cup with the sealed floor will be this unicorn either from my experiences with the quartz xl and xxl nails from Source. There is still a lot left to be desired. The problem is we require a lot of heat f4om the heater to get the dish to heat quickly/instantly almost with material already in it. The material runs from the heat so its hard to get a really thick hit. I find loading more and pulsing until the quartz is hot and then the material will roll back onto the hot surface. I am still experimenting with this but it seems like I dont get a thick hit until the third hit and still its not dab thick. Hopefully the DT quartz crucible cup will work better but its still pretty much LAYG and not going to change much.

The Trinity tank and Hercules are the only things out there that seem worthy of mentioning in regarda to the OP's unicorn. I have not tried the Hercules, however too many swear by it and perhaps I will just buy one soon. The Trinity cart is still in testing mode but its got plenty of potential to set the market on a new path if nothing else.

shredder

I like the dynavap for personal use, and our mighty for more than just me.

I use the mighty concentrate pads in both to wick the rosin.

I'd rate them both better than the pens I've tried, but not as good as my sic halo enail.

I think we have a ways to go for a portable solution that would satisfy most.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Unfortunately I don't think the quartz crucible cup with the sealed floor will be this unicorn either from my experiences with the quartz xl and xxl nails from Source. There is still a lot left to be desired. The problem is we require a lot of heat f4om the heater to get the dish to heat quickly/instantly almost with material already in it. The material runs from the heat so its hard to get a really thick hit. I find loading more and pulsing until the quartz is hot and then the material will roll back onto the hot surface. I am still experimenting with this but it seems like I dont get a thick hit until the third hit and still its not dab thick. Hopefully the DT quartz crucible cup will work better but its still pretty much LAYG and not going to change much.

The Trinity tank and Hercules are the only things out there that seem worthy of mentioning in regarda to the OP's unicorn. I have not tried the Hercules, however too many swear by it and perhaps I will just buy one soon. The Trinity cart is still in testing mode but its got plenty of potential to set the market on a new path if nothing else.

Because Source keeps using bad heater designs, they just don't "get it" - I'd be surprised if anyone at Source actually dabs. Look at the power capabilities of box mods, the ONLY reason a quartz cup would take too long to heat up is due to bad heater design choices. If you could slam that bucket with 200 watts it would heat up almost instantly. It might not even take half that much power with the right design. Source only rates their XXL quartz at 33 watts max, that's what I run my Divine Tribe donuts at and that's without trying to pass heat through another material entirely like the Source buckets. The crucible cup would need an embedded heating element like a donut to save on power requirements as the thermal transfer is faster, especially if subbing in something with higher thermal conductivity like a silicon carbide bucket, which would be ideal. Have you tried the Source SiC nail yet? Might deliver better performance, though I do agree with you that their heaters caused pooling for me also.

mc

Nothing beats the DTv3 right now. And Matt will make the Quartz Cup right before he releases it. He's already pushed it back multiple times because they don't have it perfect yet but it should be within a week. I'll have a test model soon to report back.

Now back to the OP question. The reason the v3 is the best option right now is because rosin is dirty, so using coils just leads to many many constant ISO baths. ANd I HATE ISO baths, so I no longer need to do them. In fact, I rarely use ISO at all to clean my DTv3. Follow this guide and you'll be golden;

https://www.reddit.com/r/DivineTrib...5/preventative_cleaning_tip_for_side_leakage/

I keep the 3 base screws off so I can load directly on the donut. Then when I'm done a full session I can clean it up with a tissue so it's fking mint for the next session. I roll for months MONTHS on the same coil. I'll sometimes unscrew the base screws a bit, hold the donut down with a dab tool, and re-secure them. And it's OK to let the dish sit a bit loose, it can move a bit and still work great.

If you leave the house with it, just put the base screws in until you return.

The only time you'll need to do ISO cleaning or switch coils, is if you break a lead down in the post, which can happen if you do it too tight the first few times. Make it secure, not over tight.

to note I have the following devices all put through serious paces: CF-710, DTv3, SAI, DT-Gen2, PAX, Miracle S, Firebox, DBV, MFLB, BC globe, Omicron4, Yocan E+, Puffco+, Puffco Pro 2,Linx Hypnos Zero, Genie, Vapire Digital. I think that covers them all.

EDIT: almost forgot. The posts will fill up with reclaim, just leave it there, it doesn't affect anything. You cannot prevent it from seeping down there eventually so dont' fight it.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Many have been looking for this elusive unicorn, sadly none such exists. There are a few threads on here with experts like Herbivore21 vouching for the puffco+ although it apparently breaks as much or more than the GH! The DTv3 seems like it's the best out there with a mod box from the pros i've read here.
Hey @herbivore21 ... how about it? Puffco+ or DT3 for my next purchase to try? I do like the form factor of the Puffco+ ... a little concerned about performance, durability, and maintainability. For the DT3 ... which I could get one in Canada!! :lol:

JCat,

Squiby

mc

Hey @herbivore21 ... how about it? Puffco+ or DT3 for my next purchase to try? I do like the form factor of the Puffco+ ... a little concerned about performance, durability, and maintainability. For the DT3 ... which I could get one in Canada!! :lol:

I don't advise on the puffco+. It has a few issues.

mc,
Reactions: JCat

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Can you elaborate?
After checking it out, it looks ideal.

My source buckets leak like crap and run under the buckets.

mc

The puffco+? I have extensive use of this product. It'll be the same experience. The ceramic walls are not super secure to the bottom plate that heats up. So after a few grams it'll start to do this thing where the first loads will always just disappear. Then after a few sessions it'll just stop working. This is because wax has seeped through the seem at the bottom and filled the area below with the wires and eventually it'll stop firing. Once this starts, expect it to do this every few days, it'll never recover.

When that does happen, you have to heat it ont he stove on foil to get out the wax you don't want to lose. Then ISO bath it to get all the wax out from the internals of the coils. Then it'll work again, but like I said, for a few days.

Also, the walls and plate vibrate when ti's heating up, this also makes the wax run up the walls and through the air holes. Not ideal...

Now onto the heat issues and battery life. Over time the coils take more power to run, so they heat up to lip blistering tempuratures and you need to charge it twice a day.

All pens are crap for daily use and piss poor for connoisseur use.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Thank you!
I totally agree with you on pens, but inevitably find myself in the occasional situation where I travel or have no rig... I have very low expectations, and have been on a continual search for something that would fit the situation.

This does sound like the same issue that drove me nuts with Source. Buckets are great in concept but not function... yet.

FlyingLow,

mc

This is why I run 3 devices. DTv3 for at home, pared with the DF-710 for insta dab situations or if coil flakes on the v3. Then if i got out I take a vape710.ca v2 distillate cart.

Soon to try the trinity to see if that becomes a possible cart option.

JCat

Accessory Maker
This is why I run 3 devices. DTv3 for at home, pared with the DF-710 for insta dab situations or if coil flakes on the v3. Then if i got out I take a vape710.ca v2 distillate cart.

Soon to try the trinity to see if that becomes a possible cart option.
I don't need an at home device ... 100% covered in that area ... and distillates are out of the question pretty sure. I don't trust anything that I order online from "grey area" retailers or dispensaries (illegal but there are many and not a lot is currently being done), and I'm 1,000km away from where there are many dispensaries to go in person and about 500-600km away from even access to one or two dispensaries. I don't have the tech to make my own distillates and you can't by anywhere from legal sources currently, and even if you could the price would be astronomical. For concentrate type products (ie. edible oils), the LP's in Canada are charging a massive premium of 100-150% usually. Crazy stuff. I expect the same will be true for concentrates when they do become available ...which puts rosin @ $70-$90/g so don't want to know what distillates will cost!

Just need something that will work well with my rosin (that I can produce myself at ~$35/g give or take depending on material and yield)

JCat,

mc

I don't need an at home device ... 100% covered in that area ... and distillates are out of the question pretty sure. I don't trust anything that I order online from "grey area" retailers or dispensaries (illegal but there are many and not a lot is currently being done), and I'm 1,000km away from where there are many dispensaries to go in person and about 500-600km away from even access to one or two dispensaries. I don't have the tech to make my own distillates and you can't by anywhere from legal sources currently, and even if you could the price would be astronomical. For concentrate type products (ie. edible oils), the LP's in Canada are charging a massive premium of 100-150% usually. Crazy stuff. I expect the same will be true for concentrates when they do become available ...which puts rosin @ $70-$90/g so don't want to know what distillates will cost!

Just need something that will work well with my rosin (that I can produce myself at ~$35/g give or take depending on material and yield)

LP's and dispensaries sell distillate for roughly 50-60$, the same price as BHO/Live resin. I haven't seen rosin much but it is way over priced. I'm not actually a fan of distillate. BHO is kindo f better cost wise than rosin because it's generally more dewaxed and thus more potent while still maintaining that antural taste and smell that distillate loses.

So in this case you need to stick to donut/dish style coils or if you do want to use metal coils, you can use Quartz rod style. So the SAI with the Tripple Quartz coils would work really well and still be cleanable.

If you like to tinker and want unmatched taste, get the DTv3.
If you want a tank where you just throw coils in an ISO bath once in a while, get a SAI.

JCat

Accessory Maker
LP's and dispensaries sell distillate for roughly 50-60$, the same price as BHO/Live resin. I haven't seen rosin much but it is way over priced. I'm not actually a fan of distillate. BHO is kindo f better cost wise than rosin because it's generally more dewaxed and thus more potent while still maintaining that antural taste and smell that distillate loses.

So in this case you need to stick to donut/dish style coils or if you do want to use metal coils, you can use Quartz rod style. So the SAI with the Tripple Quartz coils would work really well and still be cleanable.

If you like to tinker and want unmatched taste, get the DTv3.
If you want a tank where you just throw coils in an ISO bath once in a while, get a SAI.
I don't trust dispensary products. At least not without knowing the source from start to finish (especially since I can't inspect the product or process, and there are no regulations to hold them accountable). I'm all for the dispensaries, but when it comes to concentrates, I simply do not trust them, no more than I would trust taking a random pill off the street without knowing the producer, and the source of all materials in it.

It's not that I trust the LP's 100%, but at least they can be theoretically held accountable, and could, for instance, have access to 100% pure butane; at any rate, I simply don't trust what can be had here in Canada currently online. For BHO, I can't be certain that laboratory grade butane is being used, and that it is being purged 100% correctly.

This is my reason for rosin. It's not that I am opposed to BHO, or other concentrates, I just can't produce them myself with enough ease and safety to make it worthwhile, and I don't personally know anyone that produces it that I can be 100% certain of their process and thus the end product (anyone I do know personally that has produced some BHO, I wouldn't touch the product with a 10' pole ... :lol:)

... so ... pretty long story ... but means I am stuck with rosin for now ... who knows what the future holds w/ pending legalization, but it's still at least a couple years away I think before quality, safe concentrates are readily and legally available (either prescribed with medical or recreational)

Edit: is there an LP that is selling concentrates? To my knowledge none did currently ... pretty sure they can't but I could be wrong. I've only seen edible oils through the LP's. And for a Sativa based Edible Oil I'm paying $75 for 5g equivalent (ie. $15/g vs. half that for flower ... so 100% markup ... and I've seen worse)

Last edited:
JCat,

the beav

Hi there,

I want to do the same thing the slug looks amazing and as for something small and easy to use the rosin with I'd go with the vap cap I have a glass one and an "m" model and the glass one blows me away with any concentrate it's only 35$ and all you need is a little torch lighter and some of their hemp fiber for concentrates. No batteries or cords and for flower it's amazing as well. You can save your avb and run some hemp fiber through it and vape your reclaim so many benefits and a little dab will do you get all the medical benefits without burning or wasting your rosin either making it a more potent buzz

the beav,
Reactions: Squiby

kimura

I use raw unfiltered rosin in the DT V3 (large donut) with an VTC mini

I might be an idiot for doing this but I've actually started using a q tip to clean off the donut on my DT V3. I subjectively decide it's "done" based on the way it looks and tastes and just clean it out with a q tip while it's still warm. keeps everything tasting good for longer and removes the tiny bits of plant matter that can get burnt (?) onto the donut. it tastes better than I'm making it sound haha. better make sure that donut is properly installed or you'll screw up the atty though.

mc

I hate being wasteful, but there are few things I distaste more than reclaim.
I know others save every morsel that can be claimed, I'd rather taste really flavorful pleasant product.

This is why I tissue clean my DTv3 after every session. Which is really only possible because I keep the base screws off at all times. I like every time to be like the first time.

mc,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
So everyone is thinking I'm much better off with a DTv3 than a Puffco+ from the sounds of it ... pain that can't be had in Canada, but oh well.

On another note, would about any decent pen work well if the rosin was pressed using a fine micron filter bag? And continuing that thought ... what size bag would be good for 2-4g at a time? I've typically been doing 2g presses for .4 - .5g of rosin depending on starting material ... would be comfortable doubling that to do 3.5-4g presses I think now.

JCat,
Top Bottom