Rosin plates size question...

Hi,
Long time lurker- 3 years? :)
I have been making rosin with a hair straightener & bench vise for over a year, but the old bench vise bit the dust. So, I can either get a new bench vise(and possibly a straightener in near future, due to a very cracked case) or invest in a more long term setup. I press for personal, usually 1 bud or nickel/quarter sized dry ice.

I normally see 3x3 or 3x5 for smaller sized plates, are these too big for 1-2 buds? I have contacted Joel W, but he is no longer making his 2" plates. I was under the impression that you want the rosin to escape the heated plates as soon as possible to initiate cooling vs. cooking the rosin. So I wanted to check on plate size before I determine my next step.

There is someone who is selling a homemade 20 ton pneumatic press w/ single controller, 3x3.5 dual heated plates for $400. The machine doesn't look too bad, looks really solid. I just didn't know if the plates were too big for my purpose?

Any input/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Peace.

Kind_Karma,

Caelar900

Without seeing the press you are talking about it sounds pretty nice. But the plates and capacity are a little much for your purposes. These guys should be perfect for what you are looking to do! This should be the perfect press to pair with them. Happy squishing!

Caelar900,
Here is a picture of the press. Thank you for your recommendation, will also consider if I should pay $150-200 more for brand-new...
00505_2ldMR9qSEdC_1200x900.jpg

Thanks & Peace.

Kind_Karma,

Caelar900

Yeah I mean, it would work, check out burrito folding tech to see how to use less surface area on your plates. For 400 thats a steal, as long as you already have a compressor!

Edit: One advantage of the new vape is it uses standard flat coil heaters so they could double as an e-nail ;)

I don't have an air compressor. I wonder what size I would need? The dude said it has a manual pump, so can get by without for a while.

2" round stainless steel plates vs. 3x3.5" aluminum platrs- will there be a noticeable difference in quality and/or yield for personal use- nug presses and small bubble presses?

Thanks for the response, trying to get it dialed in soon! :)

Thanks & Peace.

Kind_Karma,

Caelar900

Good that it has a manual option. The quality should be similar, if you only going to be pressing small amounts though than the extra surface area of the larger (square) press can become a hindrance if you dont utilize the neccesary folding tech to make sure that the oil is directed away from the heat source. If you dont do this the extra surface area will degrade or even vaporize your realesed oil. Besides that there should'nt be much of a difference in their performance, though the square plates may be slightly better for pressing hash.

Caelar900,
Top Bottom