• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Retiring flowers

Flowers, or concentrates, or both?

• Flowers only

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Fully Melting Concentrates only

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • All kinds of Concentrates only (whether melty or not)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • More or less equal parts Flowers and Concentrates

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • More Flowers than Concentrates

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • More Concentrates than Flowers

Votes: 18 13.4%

• Total voters

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Live resin. I would like to try live resin.
I was thinking to post about that...cause harvest time is approaching and I saw, in some thread, a man who was blasting fresh harvested flowers and was calling that "live resin", is it true live resin? is it a valid method (I thought it was better to keep moisture far from extraction...)?

I use concentrates the most in the morning after to wake up, this is the moment of the day I need a high level of medication, although I always start with a fresh bowl of flowers (Lotus, ESV, daisy,...) while my e-nail and Nano are heating.
E-nail for full melt concentrates (all homemade): sativa's shatters, moroccan kief shatter and indica's wax!
E-Nano for kief, bubble, low quality shatter (2nd blast) and reclaim: I like to put a bed of kief and a drop of oil on the top, although this bowl need time to be vaped!

I keep my hercule to vape in family or with friends, and pen vape for restaurant, cinema,...

For kief I can access to some nice moroccan kief although my own kiefs are a lot tastier!
For bubble I only made some attempts and was a bit disappointed, not about quality, but about yield...:
40g of little flowers= 0.85 of top quality (quasi full melt) and 2.10 of low quality hasch (contaminate), same flowers yields with butane extraction 2.75 (1st blast) and 1.22 (2nd blast)....
Maybe (sure!) I need to improve my technique, if harvest is nice I'll try to find my bags to another attempt!

About rosin I only made 2 tries (with a clothes iron, flowers and morocan compressed kief)) without any result at all...and to be honnest I'm afraid this sort of technique produces a bad taste...lot of people told us bho taste better than rosin...but I read some glorious feedbacks about rosin taste too!

I tried QWET but never liked how it tasted...alcohol let something in your concentrates you can feel on your tongue imo..

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
The dispensary near me that sells live resin say they use the whole plant for processing. The stuff is expensive, about $70/gr pre tax. I won't be buying it as the strain specific shatter is $25/gr and mostly I am a budget connoisseur.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I tried some live resin awile back and the first hit was I was shocked at how much flavor there was from one dab. My quartz nail had the same overpowering flavor no matter what I dabbed for days.

Even after changing the water in my rig and cleaning, it still had that flavor.

The flavor was to artificial for me, for lack of a better word..

mixchu69

I'm actually split right in the middle. I have 2 sessions a day, one dab followed by a bag of vapor for each session. The dab gets me to where I want to be and vapor gives nice relaxing, sedative properties. And all indicas.

herbivore21

It is so fascinating to see how so much of FC prefer to consume their actives!

I have to say you guys who are itching to try live resin - it is justified! I have only been fortunate enough to have live resin from one strain, and it is unequivocally tastier than extracts from the same material after a cure.

However, I could see this varying by strain. Some strains might taste better after the cure, depending on which live plant terps are lost in the meantime and the individual's personal tastes. Still, from a yields perspective alone, live resin is better too! You are making the most of actives that are usually lost here.

By the way, for the question about the water frozen in fresh frozen material messing with runs - remember that water is only really a problem with butane runs. I have never experienced any of the problems you guys describe happening between tane and water with other hydrocarbon solvents like ISO and ethanol (I use 100% and 99% respectively).

It would be good to hear from people who run tane on their experiences of this topic too!

herbivore21,
Reactions: NorVape

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Live resin is a new term to me. It's a full plant extract? If so, wouldn't yields be higher?

Here's how my favorite local company defines it:
"Live plant resins are made using the same process as shatter, except before we run the extraction the full plant is placed into a cryogenic freezer that allows the plant to retain even more flavor, potency, and medicinal effects."
They call it Live Nectar,same thing as Live Resin. Fresh Frozen is also another term I see from a reputable company out here. They freeze plants first, but not cryo freeze, then blast like regular bho.

I am starting to question if lots of companies are aware that running fresh/live, results in more water retention. Lot of crappy, LR out there. It's like anything new to market. Lots of imitators surviving now because so many buyers are not aware what proper LR looks/smells/tastes like. A friend even found mold starting to grow upon opening a jar of so called Live Resin. Be careful what you're buying folks. Don't get trapped in a name. I'd rather have top shelf, well ran wax/budder, than poorly done, mid shelf, Live Resin that's retaining water like a pregnant lady. Hope that helps.

herbivore21

Here's how my favorite local company defines it:
"Live plant resins are made using the same process as shatter, except before we run the extraction the full plant is placed into a cryogenic freezer that allows the plant to retain even more flavor, potency, and medicinal effects."
They call it Live Nectar,same thing as Live Resin. Fresh Frozen is also another term I see from a reputable company out here. They freeze plants first, but not cryo freeze, then blast like regular bho.

I am starting to question if lots of companies are aware that running fresh/live, results in more water retention. Lot of crappy, LR out there. It's like anything new to market. Lots of imitators surviving now because so many buyers are not aware what proper LR looks/smells/tastes like. A friend even found mold starting to grow upon opening a jar of so called Live Resin. Be careful what you're buying folks. Don't get trapped in a name. I'd rather have top shelf, well ran wax/budder, than poorly done, mid shelf, Live Resin that's retaining water like a pregnant lady. Hope that helps.
Good explanation, basically, live resin is fresh material that has been frozen or preferably flash-frozen straight off the plant during harvest. This prevents the more volatile/lower boiling terpenes from being lost due to exposure at local barometry/ambient temps.

I could imagine this being the case for sure! Lots of shitty live resin could abound due to the way water and butane act together - and the predominance of butane as an extraction solvent.

That water retention is not a concern when using alcohol solvents like iso/ethanol, as water forms an azeotrope with these alcohol solvents and will evaporate out with them, rather than staying in your earl. For many other reasons, I don't use butane ever. This is just one more compelling reason ;)

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I don't use butane ever. ;)

And your alcohol extraction taste as good as your butane extraction?
even with really, really short exposure time to the alcohol I get a very dark concentrate and a strange taste ...

If "live resin" is only that it's really easy to do although I think I can pack only 1/10 of the amount of dry herb I can pack in my tube...?
In another thread somebody told us to don't freeze buds cause too much cold can destroy terps?

I would like to get some feedbacks about yields, potency of homemade live resin?

Last edited:
PPN,
Reactions: NorVape

herbivore21

And your alcohol extraction taste as good as your butane extraction?
even with really, really short exposure time to the alcohol I get a very dark concentrate and a strange taste ...
Oh man, I'm having flashbacks to all the times I have responded to this question in the past, for a while there it was something I had to point out almost as many times as I posted lol

Of course though, your question is a genuine one and it is relevant to this discussion so I'll explain :)

Consider the blue cheese absolute in my avatar pic. Can shatter get any clearer than that? That is QWISO!

I think so many forget that all of the shatters I have ever posted pics of here have been QWISO/QWET (with some very recent exceptions being bubble/rosin).

I don't do butane and never did because of mystery oil (impurities in the can which get into the earl), mercaptans, how it acts with water, fire risk etc.

Basically with my now pretty extensive experience with alcohol extractions I have learned that if you get dark concentrates every time using alcohol solvents and especially strange taste, something went wrong in the wash or the purge ;)

NorVape

Vape Rictim
To help underline your point - my first ever QWISO turned out golden crystals that I had to cellect and press into a see through yellow shatter.

It's all about tech, and understanding why one does what one does.

But fuck it, it's the year of he rosin :lol:

Top Bottom