Relegated From the Primary Abode at the Behest of Your Significant Other

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
It is interesting to me that when the men on this forum use cannabis, most of their wives represented here do not like the smell and do not partake. And the women here who use cannabis (which there are fewer of us) don’t have husbands that are bothered by the smell or the fact that we do indulge. I also have a friend whose husband smokes, and she doesn’t like the smell either. Of course, it’s combustion, so I can somewhat understand that. Why are men more tolerant of cannabis smell/usage than women? And are there more men overall that use cannabis than women? If the ratio of men/women represented by this forum is a snapshot of real life, it appears to be so.

My husband’s situation is the same as @CarolKing husband in that the work situation is problematic for using. My husband is getting ready to retire in less than a year, and I’m not sure if he will show any interest in taking up the herb again at that time, but he certainly doesn’t seem to care that I enjoy it. I use it anywhere in the house, but do not leave anything lying around to be found if someone were to drop by.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It sure surprised me how upset some folks got because I felt like it was fine to use cannabis wherever in my own home.

I keep my home clean with circulating airflow and it doesn't bother my husband. After all this is a vaporizing forum. Plus a lot of folks that medicate for medical reasons.

While in pain I wouldn't want to vape on the back porch in the middle of the winter. It blew me away that some folks never at all vaporize in their homes because vapor is too dirty. Sometimes in the middle of the night I may need to vaporize. I can't imagine having to go elsewhere because my husband couldn't tolerate cannabis smell. I get up most of the time so I don't bother him.

I'm not sure how precise my sense of smell is but my husband can pick up on any smell lingering in the air. Most of the time he doesn't notice any unless I'm opening up a container to grind up. I put my ground up cannabis in a small wooden smell proof box. There are smells but they quickly dissipate. My home smells like vanilla pear sometimes and sometimes melon grapefruit. Not skunk.

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

6aaba8d200fbbf744d13ccfc428ea782.jpg

Squiby

Even if I lived alone, I would never exhale into the room/house. Even using my kitchen exhaust vent is only so effective, but if I use a Smoke Buddy + vent it's about 99% okay.

I think, like everything, it's a matter of degrees, coupled with lifestyle habits.

I like to have windows open in my house. I prefer fresh cool air moving through it. Not only are my vaping sessions eradicated but so are cooking smells, animal odors etc. If I'm in the kitchen vaping while making a meal, I turn on the stove fan. I must say that cooking in general has far more potential to stink up the house than my vaping sessions do.

My stinky stinky weed is kept in vaccum packed mason jars, so they emit zero odor, except briefly upon opening. I never grind so that additional odor is minimized as well.

In terms of degrees, I have read about many of you vaping large amounts, producing huge clouds and I'm quite sure that this quantity of vaping must stink things up quite easily. I am a microdoser so my sessions are with tiny 0.015 doses.

During the day I vape at lower temps for a more productive lighter high. It's only at night that I go for the indicas vaped at higher temps for stonier more sedative effects. I keep my bedroom windows open so fresh air is always moving through, cleaning out all sorts of living odors.

I think that with microdoses coupled with good fresh air circulation in the house, all odors, even vaping odors are eliminated. Vaping in the house is absolutely doable using good air circulation and hygiene.

I also love to give my house a smudge every so often. I light up some combination of pine needles, cedar, sage, sweetgrass and lavender or rosemary (whatever I've gathered and dried from the garden), blow out the flame so billowing clouds of smoke from the fragrant herbs fill the air. I go from room to room, along the perimeter and around the openings, such as windows and doors. As I leave each room I open the windows fully. By the time the whole house is smudged and all the windows are open, the house smells fresh and clean. This is a wonderful practice to clear out the house. Burning fragrant herbs bring a clean uplifting balance to the space.

Last edited:

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
I think, like everything, it's a matter of degrees, coupled with lifestyle habits.

...In terms of degrees, I have read about many of you vaping large amounts, producing huge clouds and I'm quite sure that this quantity of vaping must stink things up quite easily. I am a microdoser so my sessions are with tiny 0.015 doses.

...I think that with microdoses coupled with good fresh air circulation in the house, all odors, even vaping odors are eliminated. Vaping in the house is absolutely doable using good air circulation and hygiene.

I agree, it's a matter of degrees. I also microdose and the smell from that one hit dissipates quickly. If I were still combusting, I would not be freely dosing in the house because the smell does linger. We no longer have children living at home, but I do work out of the house, and often have customers coming by. For this reason, I am very careful of not having the house smell like cannabis. I also have to be careful of when I grind bud for this reason. That smell does linger.

C No Ego

It is interesting to me that when the men on this forum use cannabis, most of their wives represented here do not like the smell and do not partake. And the women here who use cannabis (which there are fewer of us) don’t have husbands that are bothered by the smell or the fact that we do indulge. I also have a friend whose husband smokes, and she doesn’t like the smell either. Of course, it’s combustion, so I can somewhat understand that. Why are men more tolerant of cannabis smell/usage than women? And are there more men overall that use cannabis than women? If the ratio of men/women represented by this forum is a snapshot of real life, it appears to be so.

My husband’s situation is the same as @CarolKing husband in that the work situation is problematic for using. My husband is getting ready to retire in less than a year, and I’m not sure if he will show any interest in taking up the herb again at that time, but he certainly doesn’t seem to care that I enjoy it. I use it anywhere in the house, but do not leave anything lying around to be found if someone were to drop by.

I think it's because men could live in moldy caves and just sit there looking at the dirt and women would have none of that! Woman are the real engineers of the finest Nests in the world! and they are clean to boot! Thank you Woman for keeping conditions sanitary for us Cavemen ! Much Appreciated!

MinnBobber

It also depends if your signif other has "super sniffer" powers, like mine.
Once I opened a JyARZ with a tiny bud, sniffed it, closed the container. A few minutes later I walked by my wife who asked if I'd been "smoking" ?
Bionic nose :(
I vape in the house but it's always detected

subway13029

of course by now most know that I have a "vape shed" because my lady doesn't partake and doesn't like the smell and no matter what state the mj is in she says it always smells like I just smoked..she has no clue but she does know the smell no can seek it out. Cannabis smells period. Nothing else to say there but I've found my problem lies in the actual produc and the vaporizers smell bad!! Some just reek when left in car or a bedroom. We have 3 children..one senior and 2 middle schoolers and they know the smell and I feel like a commando half the time and it has gotten so tiring at times but my wife doesn't agree with my usage so at this point it's necessary..she only doesn't agree because it's illegal..but I started vaping so I didn't always smell like smoke and mj...although it still smells it's nowhere near combustion smell..I agree with everyone here..it smells but dissipates fast but even a "clean" vape can reek just because it does..lol

Top Bottom