Recreational Fishing-Hunting - Do You and What's Your View on It ?

GetLeft

lets face it, we (hunters) are the minority. And on top of that our kind are slowly fading away.
Happy Vaping!

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Where I'm from, schools close for the opening day of deer season. Hunters far outnumber non-hunters. Trophies are a daily item in the paper for weeks on end.

Regarding that happy vaping thing, right back at you. 4:20 is right around the corner where I am.

VAPEHUNTER

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Where I'm from, schools close for the opening day of deer season. Hunters far outnumber non-hunters. Trophies are a daily item in the paper for weeks on end.

Regarding that happy vaping thing, right back at you. 4:20 is right around the corner where I am.

One year while chasing birds in Montana I heard the same thing. "Just a reminder for all the parents, all schools will be closed for the opening of deer season." Man, did I grow up in the wrong state!

But a couple years back in all the hunting magazines all I read was↓
"The number of hunters in the United States is declining. In 1970, over 40 million Americans purchased hunting licenses. Today, the number is 12.6 million. This trend is likely to continue. Almost 50% of hunters are over age 47. The steep decline can be attributed to a number of causes including habitat loss, rising costs, complicated regulations, other forms of entertainment, societal changes, demographic changes, and the mass media."

But then in the same search I find↓
"Hunting participation increased by 9 percent from 2006 to 2011, the latest U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's national five-year survey found".

So what are we to believe?:shrug:

grokit

well-worn member
It is in our DNA to be omnivorous. Since the beginning of time, we have been hunters and gatherers. Our bodies are designed to consume vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, grains AND meats.
I agree entirely, but would add that what I am talking about is our future evolution not just as rulers, but also as caretakers of this planet. And this is what I mean when I say that as human omnivores, we have a choice as whether to eat meat or not in our shared future. I don't think the planet can survive our current model of animal-based nutrition much longer (and I'm certainly not the only one lol), no matter how "efficiently unhealthy" we make mainstream meat production.

Can we please clarify something because I hear this a lot about "how bad meat eaters hurt the land to produce the meat they eat". I do understand where you are coming from. But the land that I hunt and where the animals I hunt live and breed are grassy marsh lands.

"Marshes improve water quality by acting as a sink to filter pollutants and sediment from the water that flows through them. Marshes (and other wetlands) are able to absorb water during periods of heavy rainfall and slowly release it into waterways and therefore reduce the magnitude of flooding." - stolen from Wikipedia.

Again, I understand where you are coming from and much respect.
Thanks:) To clarify, I'm speaking of commercial meat production, especially CAFOs. Which I'm guessing you already knew;) The 10x per acre figure comes from a comparison of beef cattle and soybeans.

killick

But I like it!
Hunting in Canada is declining because the Government meddles too much. They reduced the amount of tags for one draw by over 60%, so they could provide these tags to 'guides', or basically people that hunters pay to take them hunting... which isn't truly hunting - it's camping with an ugly maid. Anyways...

I hear ya friend, I can relate your argument for I too am an animal lover. And if someone were to kill one of my pets for food I would have a serious issue with that. And yet for some reason I feel it's okay to take a wild animals life for my own consumption, for some reason I just don't see it as murder. Maybe it's just my upbringing.

So the other day our neighbors unattended, verified aggressive bulldog takes a run at my dog as we are walking the street. I semi-beaned it with a 3/4 full stainless mug of tea (mixed with tinc of course) which slowed it down enough that the owner was able to retrain it. This was the 5th or 6th time, so my response was 'keep that mutt under control, or I will kill it next time I see it loose'. I was steaming, stinking mad, and am still quite surprised by exactly how violent and irrational I *could* have become... fortunately. Fortunately for 2 reasons
1. I've been learning ways to deal with these rare issues.
2. I wasn't quite fast enough to get my hands around it's neck. But I tried really hard... and now I'm really glad I didn't get that grip... I know it's not the dogs fault. It's purely the owners fault for having an aggressive alpha female that the owner simply doesn't know how to control. I shouldn't be forced to deal with it as I am obviously unqualified...

And I've come to the realization that I like neighbors who are nice, but bad neighbors make things very bad indeed, so we are moving to the top of a mountain where we can't see neighbors. We will, however, see a lot of sheep, mountain goat, bear, moose and cougar (deer are everywhere, all the time, and don't count in the equation :), and will have a few trailcams around for viewing pleasure. And hopefully I don't have to kill someones pet over their owners stupidity... Some days I feel like a real ogre...

To keep on track I cleaned a couple of shotguns and a hunting rifle yesterday, a .270 Winchester Short Magnum. With a Limbsaver butt pad it's actually not too bad for 3 or 4 rounds. More than that it looks like you've been getting hit with a bat! The Mossberg 510T is getting one soon...

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Feeling bad for the bugs on your windscreen might be taking it a little to much to the extreme for me.
If it was possible to eradicate one life form, without destroying the whole food chain and ecosystem, I would have to get rid of mosquitoes. I fuckin' Hate those disease caring blood suckers!

I know I can't change your mind so I won't try. Respectfully, I say let's just agree to disagree.:cheers:
If having compassion & trying to show respect for every living creature on this beautiful planet is taking things to the extreme, then so be it. I can only do what I feel is right. & I do not judge or generally preach to others.

I don't actually lose any sleep over the bugs that get splatted but I certainly try to make conscious choices in my lifestyle & I endeavor to remain fully aware of my actions & the effects that they have on others. And if something I am doing is having a negative effect & I felt that I could change it, I would.

And I'm definitely not keen on mosquitoes either but as you have already pointed out - they serve a purpose. Just maybe not directly to us.

Simply being aware is sometimes enough.

Anyway, I appreciate the respect you have shown throughout your posts & I am indeed more than happy to agree to disagree on whatever may be conflicting between us.

Cheers for sure brother :cheers: Much respect to you.

Now, I think I hear Daisy a callin' . . . . ;)

Have a great day.

:peace:

Last edited:

Mrmrmrmr

I LOVE to fish. If I could only eat one meat for the rest of my life it would probably be fish. IMO it's very therapeutic. Casting out and waiting, while possibly vaping ;) .very enjoyable to me ! Also a great way to bond with someone. I can't wait to teach my future child how to fish.
What I don't like is how a DNR officer gives you a 160 ticket for fishing in a public lake without a fishing license....:mad:
Why the fuck do I need a license to fish in a public lake. I understand about over fishing an area but that wasn't the case ...anyways fishing is cool with me :tup:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
So the other day our neighbors unattended, verified aggressive bulldog takes a run at my dog as we are walking the street.

One of my favorite 'pet peeves' ... pun intended. I have enjoyed the company of all dog breeds in my lifetime and many have been family. Some folks don't get it...a dog is a commitment and a responsibility not a toy. There are people who should never become parents or dog owners and you my friend have one as a neighbor. I am with you 100%....you have a right and an obligation to protect you and yours. What I don't get is how animal control in your area has not already removed this dog from its owner....'verified aggressive and 5 to 6 episodes', in my area, if these were called in it would have been taken care of by now. Fines followed by confiscation and probably putting the dog down.

I am especially sensitive to pit bull issues like this because it provides more fuel to the fire and my lab-pit mix wouldn't hurt a fly because he was raised with a soft mouth. (Soft Mouth - Technical term meaning he's been taught that the only place his teeth belong is in his mouth)

A good friend of mine had a alpha male boxer who would become an escape artist whenever female dogs in the neighborhood would go into heat. He lives in a rural area. He chained the dog, among other things, but the dog would still get loose even when kept in the house he'd find a way to make a run for it. His dog was aggressive with other male dogs and even females if they weren't in heat. Fortunately the dog wasn't aggressive with people. The dog attacked another male boxer in its own yard one night and my buddy paid the bill after receiving a visit from animal control. He told me if it happened again he would put the dog down himself because it was his responsibility not animal control's. It happened again three weeks later and although the dog fight left neither dog harmed...my buddy took the dog out back and shot him in the head. I don't think I could do what he did and to this day I'm not sure he did the right thing but I know he cried his eyes out and took the responsibility for his dog.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Here's a photo of a big one that got caught. If I remember correctly, (ha-ha, 29 years ago in Sitka, Alaska) it was around 130 lbs. Dad caught it, I'm just pretending that I did. Actually. I caught a smaller one, maybe around 75 lbs. Might as well drag a tire from the bottom of the ocean. They don't really fight until they see light (it seems) at the surface.
Halibut is very tasty, however, and their cheeks are a delicacy (shades of Hannibal Lector). We bagged it up, froze it and brought it home. Hardly any waste.
Dad%20and%20Me.jpg

Last edited:

Jethro

So when you kill that bear who eats it? I have had bear and it is greasy and very strong tasting. Not to my liking at all.

Bear is by far and away my favorite game to eat. Not a fan of venison at all, wild turkey is not near as good as farmed... but bear? Better than any top choice steak I have ever had. It is not gamey, greasy or strong tasting here- could be my area I guess? Plus we only have black bear here in New Hampshire. I actually gave up hunting deer because I dislike the meat so much, but bear is pure heaven.

Last edited:

Breathemetal

Bear is by far and away my favorite game to eat. Not a fan of venison at all, wild turkey is not near as good as farmed... but bear? Better than any top choice steak I have ever had. It is not gamey, greasy or strong tasting here- could be my area I guess? Plus we only have black bear here in New Hampshire. I actually gave up hunting deer because I dislike the meat so much, but bear is pure heaven.

Wait. You dislike venison?
WTF.

fogvalley

Dark vaper
I have a different perspective probably, I am a wildlife artist. Aka taxidermist. I am sorry but killing a deer is no different then killing a plant. Except growing a garden is like hunting in a cage. Difference in perspective and how one is raised I guess. But if can fill my freezer with meat for 50-60 dollars by hunting deer I will. Deer here eat better then the farmers cows.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Taste is somewhat subjective. One person's yummy can be another's person's yuck. For example...some people enjoy the following but I'll take a pass....

I've had venison a handful of times....tasted gamey to me each and every time. I've had squirrel once...tasted gamey to me. Never had bear.....

Fish I've caught and eaten that I didn't like because it tasted like ass....bluefish and mullet.

I've had people tell me that bluefish, if milk cured is delicious - uh...not by my standards. I've had people tell me mullet is great if smoked and made into a dip...way too much work and have never tried it. So this works out to catch and release for me.

lwien

Taste is somewhat subjective. One person's yummy can be another's person's yuck. For example...some people enjoy the following but I'll take a pass....

I've had venison a handful of times....tasted gamey to me each and every time. I've had squirrel once...tasted gamey to me. Never had bear.....

Fish I've caught and eaten that I didn't like because it tasted like ass....bluefish and mullet.

I've had people tell me that bluefish, if milk cured is delicious - uh...not by my standards. I've had people tell me mullet is great if smoked and made into a dip...way too much work and have never tried it. So this works out to catch and release for me.

Two memorable fish eating experiences.......both from catching them.

First one: Chartered a six-pack out from San Diego. Ran into a school of Dorado (Mahi-Maui). What a beautiful fish. Unbelievable colors. We caught our limits. On the way back, the skipper brought out the bar-b-que and we bar-b-qued the Dorado. As the sun was setting on the water, he served up a plate along with some bottles of Corona topped with a slice of lime as we were heading back to shore. I know......sounds like something right out of a commercial, but man, that was one helluva meal.....one of the most enjoyable that I've ever had.

Second one was on a chartered six pack as well but this time, we caught some nice sized yellowtail and within 30 minutes of being caught, the skipper brought out some slices of ginger, some wasabi and some soy sauce. Man, sushi took on a whole new meaning. Talk about fresh fish !!! That yellowtail literally melted in my mouth. Unbelievable.....

KidFated.

Unknown Member
I'm an avid hunter and angler, but we also know it's our responsibility to take care of our environment. We only kill what we will eat, and we do our best to take care of animal populations. It is extremely important to us to leave nothing but footprints where we are.

While fishing, it is extremely relaxing and a way to get away from the every day world. We follow the limits set by the DNR and donate to enhance and protect the populations of salmon, trout, walleye, etc. we don't fish for sport, but if we catch something that is not worth eating or too big (nature needs the bigger fish, your wall does not), we will release it after a quick picture.

Hunting is very special to me. You must take care of the population for them to take care of you. Studying the animal and getting to know them really puts you on the same level as them. And we are animals ourself, we are not superior imo. We hunt birds (grouse), deer, bear, and we protect the farm from coyotes. The coyotes are actually used for the fur for clothing and we use remains for compost to grow our garden. Everything is a cycle in nature, but it's up to the hunters and gatherers to keep the cycle balanced and in check.

Building duck houses and lake cleanups and feeding deer in harsh winters are very easy ways to contribute back to the animals and nature on general. We have one planet and a lot of corporations don't care if they fuck it up. It's sad to see such a beautiful state here get fucked with mining and logging, but that's how it is now days..

ou812?

One of my favorite 'pet peeves' ... pun intended. I have enjoyed the company of all dog breeds in my lifetime and many have been family. Some folks don't get it...a dog is a commitment and a responsibility not a toy. There are people who should never become parents or dog owners and you my friend have one as a neighbor. I am with you 100%....you have a right and an obligation to protect you and yours. What I don't get is how animal control in your area has not already removed this dog from its owner....'verified aggressive and 5 to 6 episodes', in my area, if these were called in it would have been taken care of by now. Fines followed by confiscation and probably putting the dog down.

I am especially sensitive to pit bull issues like this because it provides more fuel to the fire and my lab-pit mix wouldn't hurt a fly because he was raised with a soft mouth. (Soft Mouth - Technical term meaning he's been taught that the only place his teeth belong is in his mouth)

A good friend of mine had a alpha male boxer who would become an escape artist whenever female dogs in the neighborhood would go into heat. He lives in a rural area. He chained the dog, among other things, but the dog would still get loose even when kept in the house he'd find a way to make a run for it. His dog was aggressive with other male dogs and even females if they weren't in heat. Fortunately the dog wasn't aggressive with people. The dog attacked another male boxer in its own yard one night and my buddy paid the bill after receiving a visit from animal control. He told me if it happened again he would put the dog down himself because it was his responsibility not animal control's. It happened again three weeks later and although the dog fight left neither dog harmed...my buddy took the dog out back and shot him in the head. I don't think I could do what he did and to this day I'm not sure he did the right thing but I know he cried his eyes out and took the responsibility for his dog.

I dont get to come around as much as I like but I save bully breeds and fight against BSL. These are great dogs but require superb MANAGEMENT SKILLS. Too many people shouldnt own a pet rock let a lone a large terrier/bulldog as a pet. A lot of people do not subscribe to PACK MENTALITY or understanding how K9's click.I have had 3 of Michaels Vicks dogs, they made the rounds from other no kill shelters and we rec'd 3. These were abused, beaten, starved, fed gunpowder, given roids,given live prey to reinforce their breed characteristics which is to fight and WIN. Dog fighting-DO NOT GO THERE WITH ME,TOTALLY AGAINST ANY ANIMAL OR HUMAN ABUSE WHAT SO EVER!

But Vicks dogs were a bit aggressive in the beginning, but once we began loving, giving them chores,setting up structure, they began to transform into the super affectionate loving breed they truly are. Yes indeed, they are fighters,with 200 yrs of heritage to back it up, but can be managed to live super healthy happy lives with the proper owners and MANAGEMENT SKILLS.

A lot of kill shelters try to get them adopted by saying they are like Labs. Yes they are in temperament and even beat out goldens and labs in that area by a few points. But the problem is if its a bully breed, there is 200 yrs of selective breeding making them what they are, A FIGHTING BREED. They also are excellent hunting dogs and have high prey drives. To those of us who understand the breed, there is no embarrassment or denial in what this breed is about.Bully breeds when truly accessing them I know 9 out of 10 times they will engage, not all of em and not all of em start the fight but most will always finish the fight. I do not set my dogs up for failure. We do not go to dog parks, we are never off leash in public domains. We do not allow children to act unruly around our dogs, we will never leave a bully breed unattended with children or other pets or animals. We do not condone aggressive behavior and if and when it is discovered ,all stops are pulled out to access what, AND why it is happening and begin to diffuse it THROUGH TRAINING ADJUNCTS made to help ease out some of the aggression and redirect it to a plus not a negative.And if it cant be done after exhausting all measures , we will put the dog down. In my field of rescue we do not condone bullies that are human aggressive, like I said we will go above and beyond with behaviorists and very experienced trainers to find out what is making the dog aggressive.NOTE* you wont find many well bred, well cared for,loved and well managed aggresive bully breeds,in their selective breeding,they were to be able to have a hand put into the ring and never was a dog to bite his handlers hands or anything for that matter, if so they were culled. Even today they arent normally aggressive towards people, make lousy attack dogs. if you encounter one that is, 9out of 10 times poor management or improperly bred or maybe just a rogue . Ive seen some that had physical ailments making the give warning bites and not attacking. @ different things, because if and when this breed does attack, it is usually a lethal outcome for what ever it is under attack from one. Most of the time they will give a warning bite. Al ot of working dogs also are treated this way when we are rescuing them.No dogs should ever be left unattended around other pets or kids what so ever!!

Some of the bullies are Houdini's and are great escape artists ,so here the owner has to be on top of his game at keeping them contained. I have incidents where another dog not on a lead approached myself and my dogs,immediately I have to try to protect this asshole and his dog which are breaking the law by not containing their dog on a lead (leash)I will do what ever I have to to try to avoid what is coming.I run away, or even better I began to scan my area and no bs, its like a spec.ops mission on trying to avoid all the assholes whose dogs are in public domain without being restrained. Once it wasnt good, I got hurt bad, my dog got hurt bad and the other dog was shot on scene.They tried to sue
but the judge said I dont care if you own a Bengal tiger, if its registered and on a leash, have at it, but I dont care if its a teacup breed if its not on a lead your going to be liable for what ever happens to it or anyone elses property. I rec'd 6 stitches in my hand numerous road rash trying to break this up. It was a large American bulldog (130lbs) and I was with Layla (she is in the FC PET OWNERS THREAD,She passed on my cancer remission date) and his dog was killing my baby. Needless to say it was very traumatic and I now really go out of my way to go to places very early in the morning to avoid the nitwits who dont understand and follow laws. It works well and we get to enjoy the birth of a new day and morning is the sweetest time of the day for me, serene and cool, no bugs up yet and no idiots with the same dog or even bigger than mine out walking around with out being contained. Sorry for your friend and his beloved pet,mine are my children since I do not have any. They are also working as therapy dogs, we go to the hospital for those who are very ill, the dogs really make a positive impact on the ill. Good to see that. The bullies are the hunch backs of Notre Dame and so misunderstood.

AS far as hunting goes, leave it like you found it, if you kill it you better be eating it. You can mount his head as along as you eat the animal you persue. I do not eat grocery red meat. I have 2 freezers filled with hog and venison and various fish we seek. I eat the heart and lungs of the deer and hog. They are ground up and added to the sausage mix. Large leg bones are turned in to soup and make an excellent broth for a base in any cooking dish. I learned "waste not want not " and I am an avid bow hunter and have never lost a deer. Ive taken Elk, which the table fare is excellent as well as the other antler types and hog is just so versatile sausage, roasts, chops,.Throw it in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce and some Dr Pepper and garlic,, a few other spices, leave it in 10 hrs, great pulled pork hoagies!!. I do not subscribe to any abuse. I shoot it and eat it, have some great blankets made from hair on hides, some cool jackets and gloves,mocs, from the tanned hides. We observe all conservation laws and do not subscribe to poaching or out of season hunting or harvest of anything illegally. YMMV

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Once it wasnt good, I got hurt bad, my dog got hurt bad and the other dog was shot on scene.They tried to sue but the judge said I dont care if you own a Bengal tiger, if its registered and on a leash, have at it, but I dont care if its a teacup breed if its not on a lead your going to be liable for what ever happens to it or anyone elses property. I rec'd 6 stitches in my hand numerous road rash trying to break this up.
Yikes! I've had some close calls, walking my labs. I learned to carry a training whistle (the one I decided on was a surprisingly effective deterrent); if more is required, aluminum little league t-ball bats don't weigh much. Just like a warning bite, you can start out with a "love tap", then move on to a "nice easy swing".

GetLeft

All my life I've had a dog around. Our last one (a black lab mix) was the world's best, so of course when she passed (sooner than we would have expected), we waited a little while then doubled our pleasure with two black lab mixes from a shelter. Great dogs. But when there's more than 1 you have to know your dealing with a pack animal and not an adoring "I'll do whatever you say" dog. They'll look you in the eye and swear they'll stay and no sooner take off on a 10 hour escapade ending up in the neighbors' back yard at 3 in the morning (too afraid to come back home 'cause they'll get a great big kick in the butt).

I've learned to respect their pack behavior but it was 't easy. Had to get over a lot of hating them for not obeying. But these dogs were bred to hunt and when they get out of the fenced yard, hunt they do until they can't walk.

lwien

The trick is to get them to Respect You as the Alpha dog and leader of the pack so they don't go hunting without you.

I tried that by getting on all fours and beating the shit out of all of the neighborhood dogs and then peeing on the next door neighbors mailboxes, fences and front doors. It ended up that my dogs really respected me but I couldn't say the same thing for my next door neighbors. :shrug:

Top Bottom