Recommendations for Low Smelling Vape for Apartment Use

Patio0425

Hello everyone. I have been doing research on this for a good month and I seem to be at an impasse and need recommendations from people with experience. I do not have a vaporizer but have used them a fair bit. Thank you so much for the help.

Criteria:

Price:
I am willing to pay up to $400. Possibly more if there are noteworthy benefits. So price isn't an issue. I want the best Vape I can buy for my needs as I don't plan on getting another for a number of years.

How will I use it:

I primarily want a Vape so that I can consume in my apartment. I do this already but with a pipe. I'm tired of lighting incense and candles because I am paranoid about the smell. I know vaporizers still smell but less so. I want to do minimal work to cover the smell so I can relax and consume and it not be a stressful matter with lengthy preparation. I live in an 850 Sq ft 1 bedroom apartment. 90% of the time I will be vaping by myself after work or on weekends. The other 10% I would use it at a friend's home with one or two other people at a time, or depending on the device I end up with potentially bring it with me on a hike.

Most important criteria:

1. Stealth is very important in the sense that I want a Vape that has a low amount of smell created compared to some other vapes. This is the most important factor, above all other criteria, is the smell.

2. I am heavily leaning towards a convection Vape or a hybrid Vape that is almost entirely convection due to criteria #1

3. I would prefer something that doesn't require a lot of technique. It does not have to have minimal draw resistance but I want it to be simple and easy enough to use that if I hand it to a friend who has not used on it won't be a hassle for them to get good hits, for the times I am sharing with 1 or 2 people.

4. Battery life is unimportant to me as long as it's reasonable. I will use it at home most times. Obviously a replaceable battery would be a plus. Startup time is unimportant to me as well. I would like to take it out hiking and be able to start it up, tole and put it away without much hassle if possible. I am a lightweight these days so I only need 2 or 3 hits max to be good for quite awhile.

5. I would like to be able to adjust the heat settings without an app. An app is a plus but I shouldn't have to use it.

6. If it has purchasable attachments for attaching it to a glass piece like a tube that's always a plus but not necessary.

7. I would prefer something where stirring is unnecessary or at a minimum. I don't want to have to fiddle with the Vape a bunch.

8. Something that isn't difficult to clean/keep clean would be a big plus.

9. Ideally would like something that isn't large. Fits in my hand or a bit larger. I would consider a larger Vape than that if it does well in my other criteria though.

This might help:

Previously I have looked at Davinci I. Crossed that out because it's conduction and been told it smells a lot but I love everything else about it.

Crossed off firefly 2. Too many varied reviews, the stirring and the tricky draw technique.

Have considered Firewood 4 (worried about cleaning, repeated use)

Have considered Crafty. I was told it makes big clouds even though it's convection so unsure of smell. Also was told you have to mail it in for a new battery (and a related fee). Not happy about that but I would get it if people here think it's the best recommendation for my needs.

Was recommend a grasshopper. Know little about it.

I've heard of desktop/log vapes but have been told they smell a lot from material that falls in, it's not easily portable etc.

My perfect Vape would be a Davinci IQ that was fully convection. Unfortunately that doesn't exist. If that helps.

I know this is a lot of information but I've been really stuck the last 2 weeks after a month+ of casual searching and no personal experience and I want to order one in the next week ideally.

Thank you so much for the help.

Farid

A log fits your needs best, besides not being portable. No material will fall into the log if you only use it horizontally, never leaving the stem in the log on its own.

When not in use the log can be used as an essential oil diffuser so you never have to burn incense again.

I'm a vapcap guy myself, but that takes some technique to use, so it doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Little Bill

Oldest stoner on FC
Hello everyone. I have been doing research on this for a good month and I seem to be at an impasse and need recommendations from people with experience. I do not have a vaporizer but have used them a fair bit. Thank you so much for the help.

Criteria:

Price:
I am willing to pay up to $400. Possibly more if there are noteworthy benefits. So price isn't an issue. I want the best Vape I can buy for my needs as I don't plan on getting another for a number of years.

How will I use it:

I primarily want a Vape so that I can consume in my apartment. I do this already but with a pipe. I'm tired of lighting incense and candles because I am paranoid about the smell. I know vaporizers still smell but less so. I want to do minimal work to cover the smell so I can relax and consume and it not be a stressful matter with lengthy preparation. I live in an 850 Sq ft 1 bedroom apartment. 90% of the time I will be vaping by myself after work or on weekends. The other 10% I would use it at a friend's home with one or two other people at a time, or depending on the device I end up with potentially bring it with me on a hike.

Most important criteria:

1. Stealth is very important in the sense that I want a Vape that has a low amount of smell created compared to some other vapes. This is the most important factor, above all other criteria, is the smell.

2. I am heavily leaning towards a convection Vape or a hybrid Vape that is almost entirely convection due to criteria #1

3. I would prefer something that doesn't require a lot of technique. It does not have to have minimal draw resistance but I want it to be simple and easy enough to use that if I hand it to a friend who has not used on it won't be a hassle for them to get good hits, for the times I am sharing with 1 or 2 people.

4. Battery life is unimportant to me as long as it's reasonable. I will use it at home most times. Obviously a replaceable battery would be a plus. Startup time is unimportant to me as well. I would like to take it out hiking and be able to start it up, tole and put it away without much hassle if possible. I am a lightweight these days so I only need 2 or 3 hits max to be good for quite awhile.

5. I would like to be able to adjust the heat settings without an app. An app is a plus but I shouldn't have to use it.

6. If it has purchasable attachments for attaching it to a glass piece like a tube that's always a plus but not necessary.

7. I would prefer something where stirring is unnecessary or at a minimum. I don't want to have to fiddle with the Vape a bunch.

9. Ideally would like something that isn't large. Fits in my hand or a bit larger. I would consider a larger Vape than that if it does well in my other criteria though.

This might help:

Previously I have looked at Davinci I. Crossed that out because it's conduction and been told it smells a lot but I love everything else about it.

Crossed off firefly 2. Too many varied reviews, the stirring and the tricky draw technique.

Have considered Crafty. I was told it makes big clouds even though it's convection so unsure of smell. Also was told you have to mail it in for a new battery (and a related fee). Not happy about that but I would get it if people here think it's the best recommendation for my needs.

I've heard of desktop/log vapes but have been told they smell a lot from material that falls in, it's not easily portable etc.

My perfect Vape would be a Davinci IQ that was fully convection. Unfortunately that doesn't exist. If that helps.

I know this is a lot of information but I've been really stuck the last 2 weeks after a month+ of casual searching and no personal experience and I want to order one in the next week ideally.

I will suggest the Solo 2 hybrid vaporizer (available for about $199). It comes with two stems. There are ss screens that will keep all weed particles from coming through the stem. You can get a lot of low temperature hits from the Solo 2 and it is easy to temperature step up. Easy to learn, easy to use, easy to share, it is very efficient and does not need to be stirred with small to medium sized loads. The battery is amazing and will last for many sessions.

It is very easy to dump out the ABV onto a damp paper towel. One secret is to turn the Solo 2 upside down when loading or removing the stem. A light brushing out of the stem bowl and load again or store. Solo 2 stems come with a storage tube and an additional stopper for each stem. The rubber stoppers block any odor. As long as your weed is in an airtight container you should be good. My grinder seems to be air tight and has storage for up to about a gram. The most odor for me comes when I grind a bud or two. The Solo 2 is new and I have already agreed to give one of my Crafty vapes to a relative. The Crafty is more for on the go but Solo 2 beats it hands down for around the home. Good luck with your search.

Krazy

Simply switching from combustion to any type of vaporization will give you a huge bump in smell reduction. I think you will be very happy with how stealthy vaping is. It also doesn't get into your clothing and linger the way smoke does.

I can't comment on people that like "OMG, huge vape clouds!" as I micro dose and sip. For me as for Little Bill breaking up a bud generates way more smell than vaping.

Edit: given how non smelly vaping is I don't know if the product will help; however, for dorm smokers it's a god send. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00478UIB2/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Your stash wil smell the most or your grinder. I suggest keeping things clean that includes stems and the vape itself to keep smell down. I suggest a log vape too. Just use a qtip with a little water and ISO up side down to clean once a week.

I don't have a Solo 2 but will be buying one soon. The Solo OG is a great vaporizer and the Solo 2 is supposed to be even better. I unscrew the top of my Solo OG off every so often to clean under the hood a bit.

Any build up of resin will smell.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
A log vape is a great option. I love my E-Nano and it fulfills most of your requirements. An Underdog can be more easily powered for portable use, but it is possible with either vape.

Another more portable option is the Grasshopper. It fulfills every one of your requirements which is no small feat.

A very important word of caution: the Grasshopper has a history of reliability concerns. Hopper Labs has made progress in that area but it is definitely something to consider. You do get a lifetime warranty but be aware you may have to send it in for repair.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Compared to the combustion their doing now in an apartment, any vape you get will be an improvement on stealth, conduction or convection. I can do a vapcap pull or CF session in my master bathroom and my wife come in shortly after and not know.(Only when stormy as shit outside :tinfoil:)
As for which vape is for you, thats quite of few desires you have there. With your $400 budget you could cover all those with 2 great units, one for home one for the road instead of trying to get it all in one vape. Blow your knut on one unit, VAS will take over no matter how perfect the vape you chose is.

C No Ego

Criteria:

Price:

How will I use it:

Most important criteria:

This might help:

all vapes will smell if you have really good cannabis with lots of medicinal terpenes in it. Grinding, opening the jar etc... really smell up your environment a lot too... using a concentrated oil with less smell in a vape pen will be your best bet to avoid smells... you will loose out on terpene benefits though with the less smell extracted oils

MyCollie

I use a Mighty. If the battery dies I'll sell it. I'm reluctant to mail it in even though I keep it clean. Others seem to have no issue nailing theirs but I just don't feel comfortable doing it.

That said I use it in one of bedrooms away from the condo door. I use a towel by both doors. I exhale into a smoke buddy or Sploofy.

I think opening a cVault and grinding generates more odor.

CarolKing

My Davinci Ascent is the smelliest vaporizer that I have.

The Grasshopper would be a good one but folks are still sending theirs back for warranty. Not sure how the newest hoppers are holding up? My Grasshopper has very low stink factor. Mine is used and I've had it for 2 months. I use it about 20 min a day with water filtration most of the time.

You might want to visit some of the threads of vaporizers you are interested in and ask questions. Pick 4 vaporizers and go through a few pages. See what would work best. Ask about smell.

Edit
There is smell with any vaporizer but it very low compared to smoking. Often a candle or even some food cooking will mask the smell. Something like popcorn or bacon.

I use essential oils that they use in defusers work well. I use oil with a few drops of water. Oil will get hot and burn. The water keeps it from doing that.

If you have a bud sitting on the table that will smell more than actual vaporizing. Keep your stash in a smell proof container.

Last edited:

Krazy

Least stinky I have ever used was the first production vape that I owned; my old MFLB. I'v only owned a handful and won't compare to ones owned by others as I always keep my gear squeaky clean.

As everyone is mentioning: Any smallish vape + decent hygiene + any mildly distracting smell = 1 minute later detectable only be experienced stealth vapers or heightened sense of smell. Vaping in the bathroom or kitchen with a fan going would work for you as well.

Given your budget and concerns of detection? If you know a cheepish one you like don't hold off. It would suck to get busted while debating.

Krazy,

Patio0425

Thank you all for your responses. I know I made a rather long post but you all have been incredibly helpful. I was rather set on a portable for some reason but I am now definitely looking more into the log vaporizers.

As an extra quick question. If I make future vaporizer purchases, since I have pretty limited experience with these and I have not been able to find a truly good response to this question via Google:

I am aware that conduction vapes will burn material even when you are not drawing, hence more smell. However, can someone that owns both a full conduction and full convection vape (As I know there are hybrids) try to give me a detailed description of how much these actually vary in smell.

I will be getting a convection for this one due to wanting to minimize smell right now but I would like to know how big a difference it is if I consider a conduction vape in the future if I'm in a different living situation.

Patio0425,

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I have an additional recommendation, invest in a good quality HEPA air filter with like 20lbs of activated carbon in it (you can turn over the air in your apt many times per hour with these)... better yet, invest in one you can route the exhaust outdoors? Check your doors and windows for gaps, weatherstrip them so the smell is contained and doesn't travel to adjacent units or hallways. This is particularly important for units with A/C and or forced air heating, they created a positive pressure environment in the apt that forces air out gaps. Good luck in your search. I have an Airapura R600, and it's incredibly helpful for cleaning the air.
I also recommend that you invest in a backup vape (perhaps this can be a portable battery model that you can use when you travel and visit card-holding friends) :) I've got an Herbalaire Elite as my desktop vape, and I had a rare defective unit, while that was being sorted out, I had to scramble to have a vape for breakthrough pain. I use the combo that is widely talked about on the Divine Tribe thread as my backup vape, and it's so good my Herbie is feeling neglected (but Herbie has abilities the palm-vape does not!, I can vape the oil off the tips of q-tips that I use for cleaning!) :).

MGG

The vapexhale cloud is an amazing vape, but to say it doesn't 'smell' with the thick vapor it gives off is kind of silly. All vapor will leave a smell (and this smell intensity will vary on your herb). Any vapor that 'doesn't give off much smell' to me is a vaporizer that doesn't function very well and doesn't give off much vapor.

MGG,

CarolKing

Investing in an air purifier is an excellent idea, if really concerned about smell. Opening a window and ceiling fans work well. Living in an apartment with close proximity to neighbors would be a PITA.

Some areas of the U.S and around the world still have ridiculous cannabis laws.:mental::leaf:

lwien

Vapes with small bowls such as the log vapes mentioned are good choices but you are tethered to an AC cord so portability is a bit out of the question. The Solo's that were mentioned are great choices too, as is the Air, but they are hybrids (convection and conduction) so they may smell a bit more than full convection vapes. The MFLB would be a GREAT choice for a low smelling vape but being that you want to share it with others makes it not a good choice. Too steep of a learning curve.

You said that ideally, you like the DaVinci and would go for it if it was a full convection vape. In that regard, another vape to look at would be the Boundless CFV.

Not too many full convection portables on the market. Very hard to design well, always more expensive to manufacture and, the battery life suffers as compared to conduction and hybrid vapes.

With that said, my absolute favorite portable convection based vape is the MiniVap. The only thing that it does not have going for it is it's size. Not very pocket friendly but if you could get over that hurdle, as well as it's cost, I'd give the MV some SERIOUS consideration.

I will be getting a convection for this one due to wanting to minimize smell right now but I would like to know how big a difference it is if I consider a conduction vape in the future if I'm in a different living situation.

For me, the difference is huge in both the taste and the efficiency department. I use less herbs while at the same time, tasting a WHOLE bunch better than any conduction or hybrid that I have ever used. For many, including myself, once they've tried a full convection vape, they never want to back to conduction. Kinda like going from combustion to vaping. Well, not quite, but...........

Last edited:

Krazy

Now admittedly I'm both old and old school. Evan as a state licensed micro vaper living in a giant house way up in the mountains I don't partake in the house. Yep, I still maintain that level of functional paranoia. 2 football fields through the woods to the closest house so nobody is going to smell it that way. But in the house its self? Nope. I vape in a work room and exhale into an inline vent that goes to a fireplace.

Krazy,
Top Bottom