• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Reclaim questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankrider

@Jman5280 I have developed my own technique for reclaiming my rigs.

I start with 91% iso which is available at many stores. I get mine at Walmart. I have never seen 100% on the shelf anywhere.

I got a small refillable spray bottle from the travel section at Walmart. This will be next to the toothpaste and deodorant. Somewhere in that section they have tiny personal hygiene products for travel. It's a 3oz bottle which is all the airlines will let you bring of any fluid.

I fill spray bottle with alcohol and spray it down the joint and mouthpiece trying to get everything off the side walls. I prefer to do this because it uses far less alcohol which makes evaporation easier. If you need to you can pour the alcohol directly into your rig.

Let the alcohol filled rig sit for a little while and most of the reclaim will run down. You can swish or shake periodically.

When all the oil seems to have dissolved into the alcohol I poor it out into a collapsible silicone mug I got off eBay. It is like 8 or 10 oz. I am so sick of razor blades and scraping glass. I have been using this technique for almost a year and I swear by it.

I then put the silicone mug onto a 16 watt candle warmer I got at Walmart. I plug the candle warmer into a plug in light dimmer switch I got at menards.

I start to evaporate the alcohol with the power at full but when the majority of the alcohol is gone I turn the dimmer switch down to a little over half power to avoid burning the oil. Full power will slowly cook it!

When seems like all the alcohol is gone I turn it down to half power and give it another hour or so to be sure.

Finally I put the silicone mug into the fridge to cool the oil. In 15 minutes you should be able to take the mug out and use a dabber to effortlessly remove the reclaim and transfer to whatever you use for storage. I prefer those little silicone jars because reclaim is runny and sticky and can become quite a mess on parchment paper

If you or anyone else has any questions please ask

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I currently have one muffin cup of a silicone muffin pan - which is in the drawer of my vape station - with a thin layer of icky black evaporated reclaim... it's not quite passing the lighter test yet, but soon.

Personally, I would not put ISO reclaim into any edible, regardless of how "purged" it appears to be. Use Everclear if you want to make edibles. :science:

clouded vision

I just want to point out something about the last 2 posts, please remember that the more surface area you have, the quicker the iso will evaporate, also if the reclaim is thick in the cup, there is a very good chance that iso has been trapped inside the concentrate by the top layer which solidifies more quickly than the rest will (like skin on top of a pudding cup). If you plan to use a deep cup so your concentrates don't end up as a thin film like it does with a Pyrex pan, you should really consider doing a vac purge in order to get all of the iso out.

blankrider

I just want to point out something about the last 2 posts, please remember that the more surface area you have, the quicker the iso will evaporate, also if the reclaim is thick in the cup, there is a very good chance that iso has been trapped inside the concentrate by the top layer which solidifies more quickly than the rest will (like skin on top of a pudding cup). If you plan to use a deep cup so your concentrates don't end up as a thin film like it does with a Pyrex pan, you should really consider doing a vac purge in order to get all of the iso out.

This lair of film has never happened to me. My cup is maybe 3 inches in diameter at the bottom and I am only dealing with a few ounces of alcohol due to my spray technique. I generally don't have much more than a gram or 2 of reclaim and after my process it is always very pure of iso.

I do vac purge when I do a run though. I put the oil on silicone in a mason jar on my candle warmer setup and then use a break bleeder to vacuum the jar. Cheap effective vacuum oven

blankrider,

clouded vision

Have you had your reclaim tested, how many ppm? How do you know it is "very pure of iso" without testing? Also the film layer on top on your thicker concentrate/iso solution isn't going to be like the skin on pudding because the consistency isn't the same, I was using the analogy to show how iso can get caught under that "film". If your end result is even .5 mm thick, chances are there is residual iso caught in it. Why not use a silicone baking sheet instead a cup so the solution can spread out into a thin film, or simply line the pan with parchment paper if you really want to avoid scraping.

blankrider

Have you had your reclaim tested, how many ppm? How do you know it is "very pure of iso" without testing? Also the film layer on top on your thicker concentrate/iso solution isn't going to be like the skin on pudding because the consistency isn't the same, I was using the analogy to show how iso can get caught under that "film". If your end result is even .5 mm thick, chances are there is residual iso caught in it. Why not use a silicone baking sheet instead a cup so the solution can spread out into a thin film, or simply line the pan with parchment paper if you really want to avoid scraping.

Yeah I tested it myself by dabbing it and actually being able to enjoy it instead of all other reclaim I've experienced. The bottom of the mug is about the same thickness as a silicone baking sheet. I use the mug because it fits on the candle warmer and WORKS GREAT. Like I said I am not working with a bunch of reclaim and don't use a ton of alcohol.

And lining a glass pan with parchment paper was a huge fail when I tried that. Have you ever actually done that? How did it go for you?

blankrider,
Reactions: Enchantre

clouded vision

I was asking how thick is your reclaim "disc"in the bottom of the mug not how thick is the mug itself. I personally have not used parchment paper but I have seen it done, you need to evaporate most of the iso off first then pour the sludge into the parchment so it spreads out into a thin film, if you try to pour liquid into parchment you will make a mess.
Also, taste testing is in no way an accurate measure of residual iso, it could mean your purge is better than others you have tried or your taste buds could be changing with age or you have grown accustomed to the taste of it or your reclaim may have more terps left in it to mask other tastes. If you feel completely comfortable dabbing it then by all means continue to do so but I think anyone reading this and deciding how they would like to reclaim shoulds be given as much info as possible then make their own decision regarding how to proceed.

clouded vision,

blankrider

I was asking how thick is your reclaim "disc"in the bottom of the mug not how thick is the mug itself. I personally have not used parchment paper but I have seen it done, you need to evaporate most of the iso off first then pour the sludge into the parchment so it spreads out into a thin film, if you try to pour liquid into parchment you will make a mess.
Also, taste testing is in no way an accurate measure of residual iso, it could mean your purge is better than others you have tried or your taste buds could be changing with age or you have grown accustomed to the taste of it or your reclaim may have more terps left in it to mask other tastes. If you feel completely comfortable dabbing it then by all means continue to do so but I think anyone reading this and deciding how they would like to reclaim shoulds be given as much info as possible then make their own decision regarding how to proceed.

@clouded vision your response is fair and valid. I have in no way had my reclaim lab tested to determine parts per million. All I can say is that I have very discriminating taste.

blankrider,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom