RDK300 Remote Activation & On Scheduling

Hello, this is my first post, but I've been lurking here for months soaking up information about the latest and greatest in terms of vaporizing. Due to this website, I have a sic halo on an RDK300 flat coil. Would LOVE to get my hands on a Sapphire Halo, but it looks like my timing hasn't lined up as of yet. You guys have definitely helped me get the most out of concentrates.

In the spirit of giving back, here is how I went about finding and using an automated system to turn the RDK on and off on a schedule. Being that they use the push button on the front of the unit, a standard wemo / zwave setup wasn't going to work. When you pulled the main power, the board defaults to off. So, off to the internet I went in search for a "remote button pusher". Lucky me, nothing existed yet, but there was something in the works. Enter Prota & Microbot.

Microbot Push (Amazon Link) - The physical button presser. This little unit has a small pad that extends down and physically presses the button you're looking to activate. After the pad makes contact, it's retracted back up into the device. The device slides into a base you connect w/ double stick tape (included) to the front of the RDK, over the power button. You can pair this device to your phone alone to control via Bluetooth, or pair with the prota s below.

Prota S. (Amazon Link) - The brains. The Bluetooth controller that controls the scheduling and activation of the push. Once you've paired the prota and push, you can write "stories" that read like VERY simple programming which allows you to schedule times for the prota to activate the microbot to turn the RDK300 on, and off.

So, after waiting 136 days for development and production, I've installed the microbot on my RDK300 and this morning I woke up to a freshly pre-heated dabber to take my first dab. Scheduled the RDK to power up 10 minutes prior to my waking up.

My only caveat would be that you would only want to schedule "on" cycles for when you know you'll be home, or know you'll be home in minutes afterwards. Wouldn't want a hot coil sitting unattended for hours alone.

I've been accused of being a bit eccentric about this (mostly by my wife), and I wouldn't disagree. Honestly I was tired of the whole process of waiting before dabbing. Call me a child of the times.

One more thing. Prota s now allows you to pair with IFTTT, so technically, if you have an amazon echo, you could turn on your dabber simply by asking Alexa to trigger that command.

Note: Prota S. does not include a Micro USB power supply. Must be 2 AMP.

Total Cost: $148, and can be used on any device the requires a button pressed.

Hope that helps someone.

-Kneadskava

Baron23

Hello, this is my first post, but I've been lurking here for months soaking up information about the latest and greatest in terms of vaporizing. Due to this website, I have a sic halo on an RDK300 flat coil. Would LOVE to get my hands on a Sapphire Halo, but it looks like my timing hasn't lined up as of yet. You guys have definitely helped me get the most out of concentrates.

In the spirit of giving back, here is how I went about finding and using an automated system to turn the RDK on and off on a schedule. Being that they use the push button on the front of the unit, a standard wemo / zwave setup wasn't going to work. When you pulled the main power, the board defaults to off. So, off to the internet I went in search for a "remote button pusher". Lucky me, nothing existed yet, but there was something in the works. Enter Prota & Microbot.

Microbot Push (Amazon Link) - The physical button presser. This little unit has a small pad that extends down and physically presses the button you're looking to activate. After the pad makes contact, it's retracted back up into the device. The device slides into a base you connect w/ double stick tape (included) to the front of the RDK, over the power button. You can pair this device to your phone alone to control via Bluetooth, or pair with the prota s below.

Prota S. (Amazon Link) - The brains. The Bluetooth controller that controls the scheduling and activation of the push. Once you've paired the prota and push, you can write "stories" that read like VERY simple programming which allows you to schedule times for the prota to activate the microbot to turn the RDK300 on, and off.

So, after waiting 136 days for development and production, I've installed the microbot on my RDK300 and this morning I woke up to a freshly pre-heated dabber to take my first dab. Scheduled the RDK to power up 10 minutes prior to my waking up.

My only caveat would be that you would only want to schedule "on" cycles for when you know you'll be home, or know you'll be home in minutes afterwards. Wouldn't want a hot coil sitting unattended for hours alone.

I've been accused of being a bit eccentric about this (mostly by my wife), and I wouldn't disagree. Honestly I was tired of the whole process of waiting before dabbing. Call me a child of the times.

One more thing. Prota s now allows you to pair with IFTTT, so technically, if you have an amazon echo, you could turn on your dabber simply by asking Alexa to trigger that command.

Note: Prota S. does not include a Micro USB power supply. Must be 2 AMP.

Total Cost: $148, and can be used on any device the requires a button pressed.

Hope that helps someone.

-Kneadskava

Sir, I salute your perseverance and attention to detail :clap:

Monsoon

Interesting hack, didn't know there was an automated button presser out there. If you don't already have an e-nail though and you want that functionality you can probably get a more standard PID-based unit that will be compatible with wemo type devices for about the same or less.

Top Bottom