RBT Open Source build

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Made a quick sketch for yout triangular form-factor https://imgur.com/a/1dpx9

Nice!! That's awesome @Rat0 . You took my crayola drawing to a new level , lol . Looks fresh! Thank you !!

If space permits (longer unit ) I'm thinking we could fit a knob for temp control similar to the Zion ) ..

A two cell unregulated would be cool too no doubt .

I was just viewing @RastaBuddhaTao "professor pakalolo" videos on YouTube . He mentions having a couple of heater designs that Could work well, one of them being a stack heater I believe he called , the other is the spiral coil . I wonder if he would consider the trianvape for one of those heaters .

I thought of my own mesh layout that could possibly work too from my infloor heating installing days. I'd have to sketch it and ask a few guys if makes sense lol..

I've been vaporizing for almost 1.5 years now , having built guitars on a hobby/business level , I've been wanting to build my own vape ever since I started reading on vapes. This is looking good .

Last edited:

rz

I really need to zzz and then I find this page :science::freak:

Kudo's to all involved so far. I've participated in beta builds back in head-fi days and love this spirit so this is sounding like fun.

I like the model this project is taking on.

I'm busy DIYing my own project and the whole open source licensing, liability etc stuff seems to daunting I'm kind of frozen on that front. I'm still designing and making many changes and feel there's always so much more to do and aaarg I couldn't ever do it alone. Would love to share it but think I need to consult a bit more with that in the meantime I hardly have time to actually work on it so I just keep designing when I get a chance..

But, build another new vape? YES PLZ! :) I'd also love to discuss and contribute what I can on electronics, board design, etc. I've been working with some BMS chips for a 2S setup and have been playing with lipo charging ICs (boost / linear), etc. I've worked in an ATSAMD21 all on KICAD.

k zzzzzz
:science::tup::rockon:

asdf420

diy zion pls
the idea of building one is cool, especially since it's discontinued

Last edited:
asdf420,
Reactions: KeroZen

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Great to see folks interested and excited in the RBT Open Source project.

A series of entertaining videos covering Battery safety and each of the 11 designs in the 2015 provisional patent are now up on the RBT YouTube. This should help get the creative juices flowing as work is completed to kick this thang off.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
To get things rolling RBT is considering providing a few "starter kits". These will include a collection of: high and low resistance heater material, heater mounting hardware, male and female glass joints, Mica, contacts etc. The kits will be sold at cost and the proceeds will be donated to @stickstones vaporizer research.

To qualify tpu must:
Be mechanically inclined
Have a solid understanding of V=IR
Have basic hand tools and power tools such as a drill press, table saw, sander, Planer, etc
Some electronics background
Desirable to have CAD and engineering skills

If you have what it takes please state your qualifications here along with a brief plan for turning one of the 11 RBT designs (YouTube) into reality by 2/2/2017. Based on the number of kits available, the best entries will be selected.

It goes without saying, this is one of my favz

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
To get things rolling RBT is considering providing a few "starter kits". These will include a collection of: high and low resistance heater material, heater mounting hardware, male and female glass joints, Mica, contacts etc. The kits will be sold at cost and the proceeds will be donated to @stickstones vaporizer research.

To qualify tpu must:
Be mechanically inclined
Have a solid understanding of V=IR
Have basic hand tools and power tools such as a drill press, table saw, sander, Planer, etc
Some electronics background
Desirable to have CAD and engineering skills

If you have what it takes please state your qualifications here along with a brief plan for turning one of the 11 RBT designs (YouTube) into reality by 2/2/2017. Based on the number of kits available, the best entries will be selected.

It goes without saying, this is one of my favz

Here is a link to photos of 7 electric guitars, I built from scratch, using different woods, and different pickup and switches combinations. Note they are all original designs . These are a select few examples only.

https://instagram.com/p/BeZT8mMFzEL/

I think that covers my tools requirement and self-thought engineering background check.

I watched all of your safety & 11 designs videos and I also took part in a few Live instagram sessions you held.

I do like The spiral and conveyor belt designs , will have to re-watch them all.

Being In Canada , February 2nd of last year or this year , lol is a tight deadline considering parts might take 7-8days to get here . Plus safety first , right ?

If I may ask? In one of your videos you mention it's free for all to use the design(s) . so why choose a select few and the tight deadline ? If looking for new designs under the rbt brand , I don't think this thread belongs in the DIY sections . True that some info here can be used for diy'ers. Or is a general kit for public sale or specific parts name list to come ?

I do credit you for your zen approach in opening up , sharing your knowledge and designs and contributing to the vaporizer evolution in doing so . It's been a blast watching the videos , very informative and educational, thank you.

Last edited:

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
@P.A.M. and @green hopper. The deadline is for just a bit more detail than @P.A.M. has provided. Just share what design you plan to use and some detail of how to implement... Such as: Design 12 powered by an OKR chip in a wooden desktop body with an AC supply Or: Design 15 in a 3D printed wood portable body using a DNA chip powered by 2 18650s. This should help scope the project and flush out what parts, materials and tools that will need to be secured to complete the project. For instance, a variable voltage 20 Amp fused power supply is a really nice thing to have.

The main objective is just to ensure that the skills, resources and commitment to complete the project are in place. The "devil in the details" design can take place after kits are in hand.

Last edited:

Saltysusej69

Stoner engineer at Raucous Tech
I would love a kit to work on making a usb-c powered desktop vape.
I just bought a bench top psu and have access to a 3D printer as well as a slew of other power tools. I'm planning on exploring a serpentine heating element with alumina-silica washers between the layers. I ordered some usb type-c boords with PD 2.0 which will be able to ask for up to 100w (20v 5a) of power- if the wall adapter can handle it. I also ordered some PWM boards to play with voltage control.
Stocked to get them in and start putting some stuff together.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@P.A.M. and @green hopper. The deadline is for just a bit more detail than @P.A.M. has provided. Just share what design you plan to use and some detail of how to implement... Such as: Design 12 powered by an OKR chip in a wooden desktop body with an AC supply Or: Design 15 in a 3D printed wood portable body using a DNA chip powered by 2 18650s. This should help scope the project and flush out what parts, materials and tools that will need to be secured to complete the project. For instance, a variable voltage 20 Amp fused power supply is a really nice thing to have.

The main objective is just to ensure that the skills, resources and commitment to complete the project are in place. The "devil in the details" design can take place after kits are in hand.

Had you filed for non-provisional??
it ain't a diy milaana if people need to to think outside the box and create something different then a Milaana no? Just saying, lol... Which is not a problem , I did sketch a diffrenet body design with two cells and power and temp controls earlier in this thread , which @RotO contributed too. If you looked at my shared guitar photos, my vape would be made of wood obviously , ... what else you need ????

Last edited:
P.A.M.,

rz

I haven't got much wood working skill/tools. I've got a trusty rotary tool though not enough for proper tooling of a case.

I can however experiment with electronics, and will gladly contribute chunks of what I've designed so far on my project and have someone else work on casing etc.

I've got zero experience with resistive vapes. I have an Arizer air which I haven't modded much (I did build a bag filling mod for it though) and now vapcaps which I'm building a PID controlled induction heater for (see my recent posts).

From what I've read so far, about 45 Watts should do.

What is missing on the electronics side?

The DC/DC buck converters that seem to be used in these mods look pretty cool, and some are controllable via SMBUS. They do have overcurrent protection but are missing relevant undervoltage protection (it's usually too low).

My current project is based on 2x18650 cells. It's got an S-8252 for battery protection and I'm finalizing design of an upgraded battery changer based on an MP2639A. There's also power monitoring (INA219) and an ATSAMD21 (~Arduino Zero)+ Oled.

It may not be too far off to plop in a resistive heater instead of the induction part and I could run PID on the power output. I could PWM a suitable N-channel MOSFET at a few Khz? or stick in something like an OKR-T/10. - This may be a 'relatively' quick mod to my existing design.

Instead of building this is a module for my project, I could also try design something more minimal just with the battery protection + charging module + a DC/DC module. In either case, I'm flexible with how it could work, and could be provided as solder yourself kits, populated PCBs as part of a kit, or whatever..'

So, I can't commit to any 3d-modelling, wood working, or anything, though I'd love to play around with these heaters and contribute what I can. I'd be glad to share pretty much everything I've designed so far, specially if my project could benefit from things here too, who knows.. interchangeable IH module / resistive convection module?? :D - or a shared platform with similar casing, or completely different projects and share some collaboration.. Anyway, gotta go for now...

Last edited:

Gator

I have been building my own forked version of the pipes buli diy project, and selling em for the last year and a half now. I have been dreaming of doing a DIY website for all the inventions that come out, as I know I'm not the first to design these style of vapes.I hope this diy sector grows into something like the RDA world is to ecigs. Tons of different designs and companies to try out.

I want to be amongst the first in Canada to be a supplier, builder, teacher for these projects. I have tons of ideas for the pimp my mod designs and video tutorials on how to make em. In Canada marijuana will be legalized soon, so huge opportunity here.

So the reason I'm posting here is because, I am confused now... Will I have to liscense anything to sell mine ligit? Do I have to become apart of the team to design stuff? Or can I just do what ever I want as long as I say powered by rbt tech or something? I just don't wanna step on toes but I wanna be apart of this when it gets bigger...

If I do need to become apart of the team, I am a journeyman electrician with a passion for this. Drill press and a miter saw are tools amongst the many I have.

Here is my design, simple csmnt RDA deck build. I leave em raw for now, just to make em faster. Also works with goon lp deck and the vape breed v3. I will be making a diy page for it soon for those who want a parts list and to see what's under the hood. Build difficulty is about 3/10

9We07wv.jpg

Saltysusej69

Stoner engineer at Raucous Tech
I just got a bunch of my parts in to start prototyping some heaters with. Should get my psu so hopefully will have a heater design being tested before the end of the weekend. Once I have a heater design I like, I am going to start CADing up a body to suit it.
I'll be sharing everything I am coming up with on here as well as my Instagram (@raucoustrees) and am definitely open to suggestions.

Current Design Direction:
-Powerhouse compact desktop vape (log style)
-20 volt input with a 6 ohm stainless steel heater (1, 5ft roll of vanyvape 1.2 ohm SS mesh wire)
-USB type-c input (can use USB PD wall adapter or PD compatible power brick)
-all glass air path
-3D printed wood body

From there I am planning on moving onto a battery powered unit based on what I learn from designing this heater and vape. I'd love to hear thoughts on design features that you guys think would be cool on a desktop vape like this..

mouthpiece/herb Storage?
size?
shape?
should it have a google home built in?
Display/feedback?
pwm control?
capacitive momentary button? springed potentiometer throttle?

I'm also available to help people design/prototype/fabricate any bodies they are making. Feel free to dm me if you'd like any help designing with onShape, or wanted me to 3d-print a design for you. Excited to see the cool variations that come out of this.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I just got a bunch of my parts in to start prototyping some heaters with. Should get my psu so hopefully will have a heater design being tested before the end of the weekend. Once I have a heater design I like, I am going to start CADing up a body to suit it.
I'll be sharing everything I am coming up with on here as well as my Instagram (@raucoustrees) and am definitely open to suggestions.

Current Design Direction:
-Powerhouse compact desktop vape (log style)
-20 volt input with a 6 ohm stainless steel heater (1, 5ft roll of vanyvape 1.2 ohm SS mesh wire)
-USB type-c input (can use USB PD wall adapter or PD compatible power brick)
-all glass air path
-3D printed wood body

From there I am planning on moving onto a battery powered unit based on what I learn from designing this heater and vape. I'd love to hear thoughts on design features that you guys think would be cool on a desktop vape like this..

mouthpiece/herb Storage?
size?
shape?
should it have a google home built in?
Display/feedback?
pwm control?
capacitive momentary button? springed potentiometer throttle?

I'm also available to help people design/prototype/fabricate any bodies they are making. Feel free to dm me if you'd like any help designing with onShape, or wanted me to 3d-print a design for you. Excited to see the cool variations that come out of this.

Could you share your spare parts sources links?

This way the diy train will finally start :)

Andreaerdna,
Reactions: P.A.M.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
The HSA heater can be made of either SS or Ti. Depending on the material composition, the resistance of the base material will vary.

Next, the physical design has a big impact on the resistance. In general, the course mesh has a lower resistance. The finer mesh has a higher resistance. Similarly, a narrow long strip will have a lower resistance than a short wide strip.

@RastaBuddhaTao ran a series of experiments in 2014 to study these effects on the Figure 5 configuration (Zion, Milaana and Splinter). The general finding was that there is a balance between using finer mesh for optimum heat transfer and a course mesh for physical strength.

A word of caution, the finer the mesh the lower the energy required to vaaporize the stainless steel. @pakalolo has always warned me to not design for use but rather abuse. A design might work under normal operating conditions but what happens in abuse/failure situations like excessive burn-off, accidental short or a button stuck in the "fire" mode. Many folks have had fire / explosion conditions with these 18650s. Heed Fire Marshall Mike's warning... "Don't blow off your face"

Here is a good source for buying prototype heater mesh if you would like to play around. Please use a fused power supply when performing any of this work as to not but batteries in an overload condition.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-mesh-filters/=1bb3njm

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Thanks for the reply or answer. Love your way to acknowledge others who take the time to show you their work and skills such as @Gator or myself. I guess you also read passed the compliments thrown at you about opening up.

Maybe should own up to ,
I take the answer is no , a non-provisional patent application was not filed in time , hence voiding the 2015 provisional patent ..

It happens, not all provisional patent make it to final . Maybe stop deceiving people about it or even using the word patent if the case. Isn't there a law against using or mentioning patent pending when not having one ??

Many people have great and similar ideas. The rda's have been around awhile in e-cigs world. No one stole your work , maybe only improved it , too bad you can't accept that and maybe use that to better your products and the vape industry.

@Gator vape shows it a small world, many people will have similar ideas or innovate on one..

It is not a diy if all cant participate. @Stu arent you a moderator? Does this thread belong in the diy section ?

Seems Ryan is avoiding a few here who have shown craft & skills and reasonable thinking. This thread started as offering kits at different difficulty levels to build your own Milaana and now it's all about designing new vaporizer bodies using his other Heater designs under his requirements to participate, limiting access to those that have been or will be selected . This new direction of this thread is more research and development then d-I-y.

Last edited:
P.A.M.,

Boden

Aspie polymath
I’ll play. I want to build a dual cell DNA75C much like this mod I built for a customer with matching one off custom RDA.

Everything in this pic was made by me from scratch.
aFfW4KI.jpg

XMl5pKM.jpg

I invented the high performance Radiator coil design.
evX6tTY.jpg

QS770Xh.jpg

I’m currently designing making and testing DinaVap tips.
ewOMzl6.jpg

PRC19w8.jpg

I’d love to see what I could do with your heater and stem

Feel free to check out my IG account The Boden

:)

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
Since everyone is chipping in some DIY builds, here is a very easy one I've been using for a few months now. Divine tribe V3 concentrate atomizer + 18mm female attachment rebuilt with a standard coil. Takes only a few minutes and is a great way to easily test different coil types or designs. Airflow is not optimal and the glass makes the bowl a bit too far away from the heat, but it can achieve good-great performance and is the easiest DIY convection set up I've tried

JAAtX7G.jpg

c777olE.jpg

3Kt0F09.jpg

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Boden , @supershredderdan many* others sharing their designs or heater setup. Is it please possible to know the type and size of wire used to build the heater. Approx length maybe . This thread could become build your own heater in a Milaana (or other unregulated or unregulated body) .

I do have voltage metres to do some testing , just would be a good starting point to work from for anyone in keeping things safer should one not test circuit properly in a unregulated setting, etc.

Last edited:
P.A.M.,

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
@Boden , @supershredderdan madness others sharing their designs or heater setup. Is it please possible to know the type and size of wire used to build the heater. Approx length maybe . This thread could become build your own heater in a Milaana (or other unregulated body) .

I do have voltage metres to do some testing , just would a good starting point to work from in keeping things safer should one not test circuit properly , etc.

That coil is from a variety pack, not sure exact AWG but the idea with that build is it's easy to try many different configurations. The coil is around .5 ohms in this build. I've had better luck with dual coils but it's a pain to get them to fit in the posts.

supershredderdan,
Reactions: asdf420
Top Bottom