• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Radishes. What is the draw here?

Squiby

Right now we have ripe oranges (Valencia, Blood orange, Cara Cara) grapefruit, lemons, cherries. Next week we should have a different type of cherry,
Your garden sounds like a paradise!! My fruit trees are the hardy cold weather sour cherries, crab apples, wild apples and some berries; blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, raspberries and Saskatoon berries. I share mostly with the forest animals and birds.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Your garden sounds like a paradise!! My fruit trees are the hardy cold weather sour cherries, crab apples, wild apples and some berries; blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, raspberries and Saskatoon berries. I share mostly with the forest animals and birds.
Your garden actually is a paradise. I'm just over planting on a city lot. I've been wanting Saskatoon berries. Are they delicious? I've heard good things.

Squiby

I've been wanting Saskatoon berries. Are they delicious? I've heard good things.
Well, I was raised on Saskatoon berries and I think that they are the best berries ever!!!

We would pick buckets of them as kids and eat as many as we could stuff in our mouths while we were at it. Then they would be frozen, baked into pies or preserved as jam or fermented into wine. In my opinion they are much better than blueberries and less fragile. They are absolutely delicious! They are harder and smaller than blueberries, about the size of wild blueberries and are in the apple family. Although they taste similar to blueberries they are not related to them at all. Saskatoons are also known as Service berries or June berries.

Get one! They're fantastic. Also I don't think you need two for cross pollination. One bush will produce berries, but more is always better!

Buzzbomb Almighty

Well, I was raised on Saskatoon berries and I think that they are the best berries ever!!!
We would pick buckets of them as kids and eat as many They are absolutely delicious!

I'm a Saskatchewanian in my 60's and have eaten my share, although the blackberries my friends had in their yard in Vancouver were so big and delicious....
Wild Saskatoons are really fickle; it takes the perfect combination of weather to get a good crop. Too wet, too dry, too cold or hot and there won't be a lot. I was camping in the Okanagan and found huge Saskatoons but they were no good - all woody and full of seeds instead of pulp. Pity.

EverythingsHazy

Radishes aren’t hot. they are like super peppers. Kind of gross those things. I don’t know what to do with those thing anymore. Getting mad. What are they good for?
What makes them "super peppers" if they aren't spicy?
To me, saying radishes are hot is like saying onions or garlic is hot.

They're a decent salad addition, and they can be eaten as a low-cal snack. You don't have to like them, though. If you don't find them appealing, just don't eat them. It's not like you will suffer from avoiding them.

Although, I once knew an old lady who thought bell-peppers were hot. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.
They're spicy, however, as with garlic, the spiciness isn't caused by capscaicin as it is in peppers.

Unless that lady is under the effects of a placebo, she shouldn't feel that bell peppers are hot. They have no capsaicin.

2 Cycle

it’s a fair point. A radish is just very peppery, i would not consider it hot just like i don’t consider pepper hot or spicy. it is a weird veggie and one that has no place on my plate

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
it’s a fair point. A radish is just very peppery, i would not consider it hot just like i don’t consider pepper hot or spicy. it is a weird veggie and one that has no place on my plate
Are they difficult to avoid where you are? Can you tell whoever is serving you not to put them on your plate? I'm allergic to chives, and must be cautious and ask that they not be used. I can't imagine radishes would be difficult for a server to leave off a plate if you ask. Send it back if they add it anyway. It's a pain, but you don't need to be offended by your food, and if you ask that it be left off then it should be left off. I'm sure it's easier in your own home where it's easier to just not bring them in, or ask that people respect your distaste for them and not put them in your food. Food preferences do get trickier at other people's homes, but you might not want to associate with people that force radishes on you anyway. If you protest enough, it shouldn't be a problem.

EverythingsHazy

I'm not the only one who finds this thread somewhat amusing, right?

Are they difficult to avoid where you are? Can you tell whoever is serving you not to put them on your plate? I'm allergic to chives, and must be cautious and ask that they not be used. I can't imagine radishes would be difficult for a server to leave off a plate if you ask. Send it back if they add it anyway. It's a pain, but you don't need to be offended by your food, and if you ask that it be left off then it should be left off. I'm sure it's easier in your own home where it's easier to just not bring them in, or ask that people respect your distaste for them and not put them in your food. Food preferences do get trickier at other people's homes, but you might not want to associate with people that force radishes on you anyway. If you protest enough, it shouldn't be a problem.
I have some food allergies, too. If you ever send something back because they put something that you are allergic to onto the plate, be sure to put a lot of pepper on the food, so you can tell if they just pick off the item and send it back.

Squiby

I'm not the only one who finds this thread somewhat amusing, right?
I

Vegetable hatred is no laughing matter. I think picking on one of the smallest, defenseless, peaceful vegetables should not be tolerated. It's bad enough that we pluck them from their birth place as young tender orbs and display their cheery red skins for all to see, enticing salad lovers and snackers alike.

Radishes are solid, stable and honest; never pretending to be more than they are. Standing firm and proud among the taller veggies. Adding a bit of interest to an otherwise boring bit of green salad.

Put a vegetable in power; vote for a Radish today!

Tranquility

6theradish.jpg

Baron23

Not hot or spicy to me. Bitter is the predominant taste to me....and again, fresh ones with the stalks still on are much more mild. They seem to get more bitter with age.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Yeah. I'll probably never be able to afford land and a house.
It's unlikely that I'll ever be that wealthy.
I would love land, doesn't that sound wonderful? I just have a yard. It would be nice to be wealthy, I imagine. I bought during a down turn in the housing market, and was lucky to do so. Couldn't do it now, for sure.

Madri-Gal,
Reactions: Squiby

Buzzbomb Almighty

Love spicy radishes whole and dipped in ranch dressing.
I'll have to try that. Radishes just went on sale for $1.48/bunch so I bought 2 and just had some with cuke and green onions and salt; very nice.
Edit: I'm going to make some type of creamy garlic aioli to have with deep-fried battered shrimp today so I'll try some radishes with that.

Last edited:

Squiby

I'm going to make some type of creamy garlic aioli to have with deep-fried battered shrimp today so I'll try some radishes with that.
A nice Green Goddess dressing would lovely as well. It was a popular dressing here in the 70s but you don't seem hear about it anymore. It's basically a mayonnaise and herb dressing; primarily a base of parsley and tarragon, but you can play around with it, it's so forgiving. Sometimes I add cilantro, because I'm a cilantro fiend. Sometimes some avocado. I make lots of it when fresh herbs are available. I think it's delicious and I'm always asked for the recipe whenever I serve it to a crowd.

Green Goddess Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream or yoghurt
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh tarragon or a healing Tbsp of dried
1 green onion
1 clove garlic, or more
1 anchovy fillet
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper if you swing that way.

Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and correct seasonings. It may be quite thin but will thicken up in the fridge. Keeps for a week. Yumm!!!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
A nice Green Goddess dressing would lovely as well. It was a popular dressing here in the 70s but you don't seem hear about it anymore. It's basically a mayonnaise and herb dressing; primarily a base of parsley and tarragon, but you can play around with it, it's so forgiving. Sometimes I add cilantro, because I'm a cilantro fiend. Sometimes some avocado. I make lots of it when fresh herbs are available. I think it's delicious and I'm always asked for the recipe whenever I serve it to a crowd.

Green Goddess Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream or yoghurt
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh tarragon or a healing Tbsp of dried
1 green onion
1 clove garlic, or more
1 anchovy fillet
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper if you swing that way.

Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and correct seasonings. It may be quite thin but will thicken up in the fridge. Keeps for a week. Yumm!!!

I'm gonna try that recipe. I find yogurt to be a healthier replacement to sour cream, and over time I can hardly tell the difference when mixed in sauces and dressings.

I have this issue with my wifey about the garlic. Recipes like this and humus recipes that call for raw garlic. I love garlic but it kicks my ass when it's raw. I like to sweat it a bit in olive oil for just a minute or two, just to get the raw heat out of it. She likes it full strength uncooked and I find it too harsh that way. I'm very sensitive. :cool:

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I'm gonna try that recipe. I find yogurt to be a healthier replacement to sour cream, and over time I can hardly tell the difference when mixed in sauces and dressings.

I have this issue with my wifey about the garlic. Recipes like this and humus recipes that call for raw garlic. I love garlic but it kicks my ass when it's raw. I like to sweat it a bit in olive oil for just a minute or two, just to get the raw heat out of it. She likes it full strength uncooked and I find it too harsh that way. I'm very sensitive. :cool:
I'll have to try the dressing @Squiby posted, and sweating the garlic. Sounds delicious with fresh radishes. Yum!

Top Bottom