QWEthanol safety !?!

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Wait......what? AFAIK "rubbing alchohol" is ISO, usually ranging from 70 to 93% pure ISO with the remaining portion being purified water, just make sure on the label that these are the only 2 ingredients (protip:dont buy the green mentholated stuff) and both the ISO and the water should completely evaporate from your product without leaving anything unsavory behind. I usually prefer BHO but there isn't anything wrong with QWISO.

SF Giant,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zZymgIUhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Rubbing alcohol is alcohol for rubbing.. Not specially ISO or Ethyl..
Dude.. The longer you soak the more nasties you extract.. THC dissolves in matter of seconds..
THE Lower the temp the fewer the extacted compounds.. This is the reason you must maintain low temp with most solvents..
Note that i don't live in the USA.. and i've never tasted ISO.. BUt i have experience with acetone,ethyl,butane,water..
Also don't mix it with water to make vodka.. It will burn your internals... LOL.. Thats why they add glycerine and waxes to the drinking alcohol...
_-----------------------------------

Ethyl - tastier, less mess,cheaper,U need less, the final product is easier to handle and crystalize faster, Healthier... ,also if you don't purge enough.. which is very hard.. because it won't get hard.. cuz of water .. When you evaporate the little water left on end your are 100 % that all alcohol is gone because .. water has lower evap temp than Ethyl.. Also... even if there is a bit left somehow. it is something that is meant for inhalations... LOL.. not for gas lighters..
Anyway,, you have to supply filters,mainatain low temps with freezer ..
31zZymgIUhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You need that but 90-95 % ... 70 will do also but.. i prefer highest proof possible.

Abysmal Vapor,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
2clicker said:
t-dub said:
The thing about alcohol is that its both polar and non polar, so it will extract everything, including chlorophyll etc

wouldnt a quick 15-20 sec soak remedy this...?

Yes, I was commenting in general on the solvent's properties, not technique.

t-dub,

2clicker

Observer
Abysmal Vapor said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zZymgIUhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
You need that but 90-95 % ... 70 will do also but.. i prefer highest proof possible.

i was in a Walgreens yesterday and saw the 70%. they did not have the 90+% so i didnt get it. i figured everclear would be better than 70% ethanol. im going to keep looking for the 90+% stuff though.

t-dub said:
2clicker said:
t-dub said:
The thing about alcohol is that its both polar and non polar, so it will extract everything, including chlorophyll etc

wouldnt a quick 15-20 sec soak remedy this...?

Yes, I was commenting in general on the solvent's properties, not technique.

gotcha

2clicker,

weedemon

enthusiast
the stuff i got from the pharmacist turened out to only be 80% pure, but the only other ingredient is water, so It should be find still for my bho re-dissovlve extractions. :)

weedemon,
Hi all, Im new to this forum. Anyways, my two-cents are that ethanol is the safest solvent of all solvents used to make oil. I believe its even in soda. Lets not forget ethanol is what we consider alcohol when were talking about beer, wine, and booze.

SpinLover1,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
SpinLover1 said:

Nice but I can get a fifth of Everclear at the liquor store for $14 USD.

Edit:
Abysmal Vapor said:
because .. water has lower evap temp than Ethyl..

From Wikipedia: "Fractional distillation can concentrate ethanol to 95.6% by volume (89.5 mole%). This mixture is an azeotrope with a boiling point of 78.1 C, and cannot be further purified by distillation."

I thought water boiled at 100 C?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

"Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug and one of the oldest recreational drugs. Best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, it is also used in thermometers, as a solvent, and as a fuel. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits."

EDIT: Weedemon rightly tried to point out earlier in this thread the difference between polar and non polar solvents. From Wikipedia: "The polarity, dipole moment, polarizability and hydrogen bonding of a solvent determines what type of compounds it is able to dissolve and with what other solvents or liquid compounds it is miscible. As a rule of thumb, polar solvents dissolve polar compounds best and non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar compounds best: "like dissolves like". Strongly polar compounds like sugars (e.g., sucrose) or ionic compounds, like inorganic salts (e.g., table salt) dissolve only in very polar solvents like water, while strongly non-polar compounds like oils or waxes dissolve only in very non-polar organic solvents like hexane. Similarly, water and hexane (or vinegar and vegetable oil) are not miscible with each other and will quickly separate into two layers even after being shaken well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent

PLEASE do your homework if you are going to fool with this stuff. Practical knowledge or technique is one thing but knowledge of organic chemistry and solvents is highly recommended, especially if you are going to comment on such issues. Conversely, that is why I will comment on the solvent properties in question but not on technique.

t-dub,

stroh

errl enthusiast
t-dub said:
SpinLover1 said:

Nice but I can get a fifth of Everclear at the liquor store for $14 USD.

Edit:
Abysmal Vapor said:
because .. water has lower evap temp than Ethyl..

From Wikipedia: "Fractional distillation can concentrate ethanol to 95.6% by volume (89.5 mole%). This mixture is an azeotrope with a boiling point of 78.1 C, and cannot be further purified by distillation."

I thought water boiled at 100 C?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

"Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug and one of the oldest recreational drugs. Best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, it is also used in thermometers, as a solvent, and as a fuel. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits."

EDIT: Weedemon rightly tried to point out earlier in this thread the difference between polar and non polar solvents. From Wikipedia: "The polarity, dipole moment, polarizability and hydrogen bonding of a solvent determines what type of compounds it is able to dissolve and with what other solvents or liquid compounds it is miscible. As a rule of thumb, polar solvents dissolve polar compounds best and non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar compounds best: "like dissolves like". Strongly polar compounds like sugars (e.g., sucrose) or ionic compounds, like inorganic salts (e.g., table salt) dissolve only in very polar solvents like water, while strongly non-polar compounds like oils or waxes dissolve only in very non-polar organic solvents like hexane. Similarly, water and hexane (or vinegar and vegetable oil) are not miscible with each other and will quickly separate into two layers even after being shaken well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent

PLEASE do your homework if you are going to fool with this stuff. Practical knowledge or technique is one thing but knowledge of organic chemistry and solvents is highly recommended, especially if you are going to comment on such issues. Conversely, that is why I will comment on the solvent properties in question but not on technique.

one more thing to add about polarity in solvents, polar solvents can dissolve both polar and non-polar compounds quite easily, non-polar solvents are more selective in what they dissolve. for our intent and purposes, non-polar solvents will always produce a more pure product with ease, while a polar solvent takes more skill to produce a very pure product. using both in conjunction to selectively dissolve only the desired compounds and produce an absolute, is arguably the best method.

stroh,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
stroh said:
one more thing to add about polarity in solvents, polar solvents can dissolve both polar and non-polar compounds quite easily, non-polar solvents are more selective in what they dissolve. for our intent and purposes, non-polar solvents will always produce a more pure product with ease, while a polar solvent takes more skill to produce a very pure product. using both in conjunction to selectively dissolve only the desired compounds and produce an absolute, is arguably the best method.

Excellent point.

t-dub,
From Wikipedia

Production

First, an organic solvent, such as hexane, is added to the plant material to help extract the non-polar compounds. This solution is filtered and concentrated by distillation to produce a waxy mass called concrete. The more polar, fragrant compounds are extracted from the concrete into ethanol. When the ethanol evaporates, an oilthe absoluteis left behind.

SpinLover1,
any idea what happens to 100 grams of golden/ blonde kief, when put through a double extraction with hexane and ethanol? It would suck my middle nut if your only going to get a few grams from this.

SpinLover1,

stroh

errl enthusiast
ive heard of people getting returns as high as 50% with dry sift extractions, so i would estimate that 100 grams in would yield somewhere around 45-50 grams if the starting material is high quality.

stroh,
So I know of a company that lists "50-100" employees that produces all grades of ethanol, even 200proof???? Their using sugar cane. Now I have heard that you can get up to 96% ethanol/ 4% water with normal distilation techniques. If Im operating in a third world country, would their be any problem from 190 proof or 200 proof ethanol, from sugar cane?

SpinLover1,

stroh

errl enthusiast
honestly i have no idea, abysmal would be a better person to ask regarding ethanol. i myself cannot find anything higher than 70% locally, i need to do some more hunting online for a vendor with reasonable prices.

stroh,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Its probably not really 200 proof. From Wikipedia: "Fractional distillation can concentrate ethanol to 95.6% by volume (89.5 mole%). This mixture is an azeotrope with a boiling point of 78.1 C, and cannot be further purified by distillation."

They would have to be using some kind of selective, permeable, membrane under pressure to get it all the way to 200, if even that would work, and I doubt that is the case. Sugar cane should be an excellent source for food for the yeast, I believe rum is made from a lot of Caribbean sugar cane.

Edit: I would be more concerned with the quality of their fractional distillation tower, expertise in using/maintaining the equipment, and quality control.

t-dub,
Yeah, I'm thinking 190 proof, sugar cane ethanol is the way to go. If their using traditional distillation techniques, then its basically consumption grade.

SpinLover1,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
SpinLover1 said:
Yeah, I'm thinking 190 proof, sugar cane ethanol is the way to go. If their using traditional distillation techniques, then its basically consumption grade.

Sounds about right.

t-dub,

onigiri1692

I posted this in another thread on using everclear to make hash/oil and thought it would be relevant to the discussion here:

Been doing a bit more research on the chemistry of ethanol/ethyl alcohol and what happens when it undergoes combustion. It turns out it produces two byproducts, three if you count the energy/heat released when combusted, the other two are carbon dioxide and water vapor. So it looks like it is alright to smoke hash/oil produced using everclear.

Here is the complete chemical equation if anyone is curious:
C2H5OH (l) + 3 O2 (g) ? 2 CO2 (g) + 3 H2O (g); (?Hc = ?1371 kJ/mol[47]) specific heat = 2.44 kJ/(kgK)

onigiri1692,

stroh

errl enthusiast
carbon dioxide and water vapor are also the only byproducts of butane gas when brought to a boil.

stroh,

onigiri1692

stroh said:
carbon dioxide and water vapor are also the only byproducts of butane gas when brought to a boil.

Yes but you are talking about pure butane in an ideal environment, the problem is no matter how filtered the can of butane says it is there are impurities. Also from my understanding butane needs to be in an environment plentiful with oxygen, otherwise it doesn't burn as clean and will leave behind soot and carbon monoxide in addition to the two you have named...although the same is true for ethanol, I wish we had a chemist around to completely straiten this out.

Edit: Didn't realize you meant when boiling butane. How is that practical for us and how does it relate to ethanol or our purposes in hash/oil making at all?

onigiri1692,
Carbon monixide, I believe, is in us all, and like everything its about the dose. I mean really, how much of this stuff can one possibly consume! I believe most of the carbon monixide that resides in your blood this very moment, comes from the exhaust of cars, where, and I'm not sure of the chemistry, their can never be complete combustion in an engine, so some CO1 is created and exhausted and breathed in by you and me. You'll get CO1 from smoking cannabis, hash, or hash oil, but... Any CO1 from smoking oil, would be minute a petute compared to whats already in our lungs and blooood.

Edit: Not saying its not true that major tabacco smokers and possibly cannabis smokers, can have significantly higher carbon monixide in thier blood, with adverse health effects. But the whole point of oil, is your smoking in such a lower quantity, that... And as a doctor, my dad has seen thousands of patients with emphazima and lung cancer, and as hes about to retire, its likely that he will finish up his career without a single patient suffering adverse health effects from smoking cannabis. Infact he affirms possitive health benifits for a number of conditions, though he cannot proscribe it persay.

SpinLover1,

weedemon

enthusiast
OK, so I have been doing a few ethanol runs. and here is what I heave learned so far.

I have always first done the run with butane(non polar) first, to strip away the best parts of the bud/abv(depending on the run I am talking about) I purge, but I don't worry about it too much because I then dissolve it into the minimum amount of ethanol it takes to do it. I put it in mason jars and shake it like crazy for a bit. then i let it sit and you see a white precipitate suspended in the solution (fats and waxes) I filter the solution 1 or 2 times depending on how I think it looks. and evaporate outside in a hot water bath.

2 oz of ethanol takes about 15 min to evap outside in winter(-5c) conditions. the smell of the vapors coming off are distinctly different at this point. it now smells good instead of like the ethanol does. I let it go an additional 15 minutes or longer just to be safe :)

after that i took it inside for a 30 minute oven purge at 150C for 30 min. after that scrape and collect.

Quality:

I have done 2 types of source material so far. a whole bunch of bud I had saved up from having done a first wash on. I will talk about this first. the final produce is a taffy like substance. I can handle it with no problems, pull it and it's like putty, yank it and it snaps in shards. a dark colour, and to my surprise it tastes like sensi star! one of the buds I did most of the run with apparently. The hit is very smooth and has a dry finish.

I didn't weigh the initial amount, but it was a "1 oz" tube extractor that i used. and I got 0.8g from it. It was bud that had already been washed with butane once before to make the primo oil, but that stuff was long since gone! :p

the quality is very nice, and i am surprised it's 2nd wash oil. it tastes better than that.

as for the ABV stuff. I ran about 7 oz and while I haven't weighed it either it looks like about 3 grams of oil to me. the oil is very clean looking while it is quite dark, slicked out on paper it would be yellow though. the smell of it in the pan was of abv (surprise?) ;) the taste though is very smooth again with a toasted nutty flavour. its also very clean but it has a harsher finish than the sensi star batch. this abv stuff is mostly cbd/cbn though and i can really tell the difference between the 2! one get me ripped and feels just like other high thc concentrates. the other gets me feeling very body stoned. I feel incredibly high, yet at the same time calm, and very clear headed. it's pretty amazing actually! :)

weedemon,
Top Bottom