QWEthanol safety !?!

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Iso is getting hard to find around here also well refined gas.. So i browsed around looking for answers on ethanol but i can get any straight info..
My questions are:
Is ethanol efficient for extractions?
Can i use 95% ethanol 5 % water (100 ml) from the Pharmacy store ?
I asked the pharmacist about using it to make herbal tincures and he said many people do that.. :)
I've already tried ethanol extraction but it was a long soak of low quality stuff and tasted like shit.. :D
Do you have any pictures of QWEthanol hash?
Does it evaporates fully ? Leaving any bad stuff that possibly would harm me if i vaporize ?
How is the taste compared to regular QWISO ?
For fun :D ----- http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...5%+5%+water+for+hash&cd=2&hl=bg&ct=clnk&gl=bg

Abysmal Vapor,

stroh

errl enthusiast
from what i have read, ethanol is supposed to be a superior solvent to ISO purely based on taste, give it a try! if its only ethanol and water as the inactive ingredient, i think it should be safe to use.

stroh,

Abysmal Vapor

Thx i already did.. a small batch . I froze the popcorn buds and the ethanol let is soak for 45 seconds and then shake for another 45 seconds and strained twice.. I even did a small bho run in a broke dbv wand with the remains of the wash.. It resulted in UNREAL(just like that one i am not kiddin) color... While the liquid from the wash is almost white..
What would you recommend. Should i use hot water purge ? Or should i leave it for 24h and then scrape the shatter ?:
172 F is the boiling point of ethanol Which is lower than ISO 181 F :).

Abysmal Vapor,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i myself would hot water purge, i would rather have the product in a more stable form, after 24h it will be like scraping powder, but if you use heat to purge, it will be easier to collect on the razor blade!

stroh,

Abysmal Vapor

Thx for advice , i just started hot water purge and can see some stuff forming on the bottom connecting with others and getting bigger .

Tastes just like the bud, leaving no residue. It gets crystal hard when i put it in the fridge :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

weedemon

enthusiast
right on man sounds intersting. what % purity was your ethanol?

another solvent I want to try sometime is hexane.

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

100 ml ethanol from the pharmacy store. costs bout 50 cent round here.. 95ml ethanol 5 ml water listed on the back.. i did a very small run . 50 ml ethanol were enough to cover the bud to the top.

Abysmal Vapor,

weedemon

enthusiast
thank you for the added information! the final product looks very nice :)

i went off to wiki and found this about ethanol:

Hydrogen bonding causes pure ethanol to be hygroscopic to the extent that it readily absorbs water from the air. The polar nature of the hydroxyl group causes ethanol to dissolve many ionic compounds, notably sodium and potassium hydroxides, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, ammonium chloride, ammonium bromide, and sodium bromide.[13] Sodium and potassium chlorides are slightly soluble in ethanol.[13] Because the ethanol molecule also has a nonpolar end, it will also dissolve nonpolar substances, including most essential oils[20] and numerous flavoring, coloring, and medicinal agents.

so its both polar and nonpolar at different ends. with your high percentage it clear turned out nicely, and I am interested in trying this. im suprised it's so cheap! how much is hexane? it's non polar (like butane is) and you can recycle or recapture the solvent even with a condensation hood.

how long did you evap take? i assume it would be quicker than an iso run.

maybe i will replace my iso wash kit (used for cleaning my vapes) over to ethanol. :)

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

After heat water cure was applied 5-10 minutes.. I was browsing FC when i noticed it is ready :) .
Btw this extract vaporizers very well in my UD vape.. i just drop a chunk on a double screen ,it does not make a mess.. .

Abysmal Vapor,

stroh

errl enthusiast
looks great abysmal! i am definitely going to be grabbing some ethanol instead of ISO next time i hit up the pharmacy. i am definitely still interested in using ethanol as a co-solvent to ensure all the butane evaporates in BHO runs, but was not willing to sacrifice taste with ISO, gotta try that out soon.

stroh,

Abysmal Vapor

stroh said:
looks great abysmal! i am definitely going to be grabbing some ethanol instead of ISO next time i hit up the pharmacy. i am definitely still interested in using ethanol as a co-solvent to ensure all the butane evaporates in BHO runs, but was not willing to sacrifice taste with ISO, gotta try that out soon.
In some countries ethanol is more expensive.. i've read guys using it to purify their iso extract..
They do an ethanol extraction of a long soaked iso.. they say it get only the tasty stuff out :).

Abysmal Vapor,
Hey Guys just for information purposes I believe "ever clear" is 95% ethanol(grain alcohol) and 5% water also but costs more than iso. IMO the ethanol produces oils that taste way better than iso. But I didnt know a pharmacy stock ethanol. Which pharmacy did you buy it from local or nation chain? (ie Riteaid CVS Walgreens..etc)

mflb_hustler,

Abysmal Vapor

Here you can buy a akmost liter medicinal ethanol 95 % for 5 $.... I remember local drunks used to get a bottle of 0.8 which is enough for 10 hardcore drunks to get seriously wasted .. They mix it in their beers or cheap fuzzies :).

BTW.. care that it is only ethanol and water.. i read in some countries they add a bittering agent so it is not abused like that... LOL. I can't imagine people in all those "decent" countries abusing that... but there are passengers for every train...

Abysmal Vapor,

Abysmal Vapor

I never tried iso.. But i prefer Ethanol to butane for sure.. :) . I even do Qwet on my abv.. and result is dark amber..

Abysmal Vapor,

2clicker

Observer
Abysmal Vapor said:
I never tried iso.. But i prefer Ethanol to butane for sure.. :) . I even do Qwet on my abv.. and result is dark amber..

do you use it on fresh flowers also? would i use the same methods as ISO... 20-30 second shake/stir then evap...?

if it tastes that much better then ill stop using ISO right away

2clicker,

stroh

errl enthusiast
it will work exactly the same as ISO, both solvents are alcohol. i would use ethanol if i could find it around me, until then im stuck with ISO :\

stroh,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
stroh said:
it will work exactly the same as ISO, both solvents are alcohol. i would use ethanol if i could find it around me, until then im stuck with ISO :\

I know what you mean. I can find tainted (low grade) ethanol at decent prices but for Food Grade Ethanol the prices are crazy high. The only place I can find it is for about $40 a litre and a minimum of 20 litres = $800 - no thanks!

J.R.R.Tokin',

weedemon

enthusiast
2clicker said:
what about everclear?

i believe that everclear will work, but there are sugars in the booze? and that will affect your taste. better to go with pharmacy stuff if you can m8.

everclear makes great green dragon though!

weedemon,

2clicker

Observer
weedemon said:
2clicker said:
what about everclear?

i believe that everclear will work, but there are sugars in the booze? and that will affect your taste. better to go with pharmacy stuff if you can m8.

everclear makes great green dragon though!

i cant seem to find 95% ethanol anywhere. and im sick of the "ISO taste".

so everclear definitely has sugars? i was really hoping that everclear would work well. everclear is made here in St. Louis by a company called Luxco. i live just a few miles away from where its actually made. it can be found all over town very easily.

so stay away from everclear for oils?

2clicker,

Abysmal Vapor

Well .. Qwethanol tastes better than bho for sure,., don't know about iso.
Stay away from drinkable alcohol (not that ethanol is not drinkable.).. It has not only sugars but glycerine too.. I should be fine for vaping.. but dabbing or combusting... Blaaaaaah.. (e-cigs use glycerine dont they ? )
I tried freshly frozen flowers.. Result is more in white/yellow spectrum.. while bone dry results in nice sundown amber..
Btw .. I don't shake anymore with ethanol.. in order to get even purer product.. I may stir a bit with a glass rod.. to make sure it is soaked well into material.. Once it is soaked for 10-15 seconds i strain it... filter the strained liquid as fast as possible.. in order to remove smallest particles .. which are enough to ruin the color and chip the taste (if you are purist freak ..) if left soaked long enough.. And purge on very low temp.. This is not butane.. It doesnt bubbles.. that much,. It very easy to see once it is evaporated. When it is evaporated enough is essential to put in in the cold freezer / fridge cold water // out in the cold.. In order to break the further heating (cuz i use boro vessels and they retain heat more than i want.. ) :)..
No it is -20 C here and i do my extractions on the balcony with tremendous results :).. I have a bottle of ethanol and a baggie of abv dipped in the snow right now LOL..

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: OpalinDays

Abysmal Vapor

2clicker said:
Abysmal Vapor said:
It should be fine for vaping.. but dabbing or combusting... Blaaaaaah..

just curious... why do you say that regarding everclear?
Well it is regarding Glycerine.. They put it in all alcohol rated for drinking ..
And i don't feel fine with inhaling combusted glycerine ..

Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom