Questioning Left and Right As Accurate Descriptors

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I have said before, "The Left is just a sign they make you wear, once you figure out what they've been up to," meaning I believe it's used as a way of marginalizing concerned citizens with valid issues, and facts to support them.

I think the same can be said about people considered to be on the "far Right" of the political spectrum, and I wonder if Pro-Life advocates have any problem being lumped in with "The Right." I mean, they are after all just concerned citizens with an issue over how babies and pregnancy are treated by young women, which should be considered a noble cause.

I wonder even more about the use of Left and Right as I develop my own stances on what real Progress would look like...and frankly I don't think there's room in my vocabulary for those two terms anymore, I think they get in the way of any real knowledge transfer...not that I believe that everyone can be reasoned with, or is even interested in hearing the other side of an argument, but that can be said about people on either side of this imaginary spectrum anyway.

I know we like to be able to describe our world, categorize things and People, as accurately as we can. I do question whether the framing of an argument leans towards the Wealthy class, or the rest of us...and I wonder whether this fake scale is useful more to those who need to leverage the lower classes against each other for their political ends.

Of course, by now these groupings may be so ingrained in People's sense of identity they'd take offense to any change, but I also know that before two years ago I had no sense of political identity and voted for both major parties in each election, and thought the only two extremes you could go to were Liberal and Conservative...television doesn't really talk about Progressives at all.

It actually seems pretty crazy to me. But, tell me I'm crazy, and why, please.

VWFringe,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I'm making phone calls for Obama tonight, so I'll have to weigh in on this later. :)

Vicki,

lwien

And here I thought you were talking about the sides of the human body. :shrug:

So, I read the title and thought, "Wow. What an odd thing to question."

lwien,
Reactions: Peloton
Top Bottom