Question: would using iso-propyl alcohol be a good idea to winterze bho without a vac purge?

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
You are looking for the lipids and sediment to settle to the bottom of the jar. That way when you go to filter, they have solidified and can be caught up in the filter, and you can dump that last little bit before it goes in as well.

You can go an extra mile though. Grab two pyrex measuring cups (assuming less than 2.5 cups involved,) and a dish which can fit both of the measuring cups to rest in with dry ice. Put dry ice in the dish with a bit of water or you can use acetate with dry ice to get even colder. Put your filter over the top of that measuring cup, if using ss filters, put something like a 25 micron filter here. Or a coffee filter works fine, laid inside a ss kitchen strainer.

Put the rough solution into the other measuring cup, and pour slowly through filter into the first measuring cup which is resting in a pan filled with dry ice/water. This will keep things winterized through the initial filtration.

After finishing rough filtration, rinse the measuring cup out that contained the rough solution and make really sure that there is no visible debris of any kind left when you dry it out.

place the clean/dry measuring cup in the dry ice dish, next to the rough filtration cup. Place a 5 micron ss filter over the clean/dry cup or another coffee filter. Filter the rough into the final and leave the rough solution in the dry ice pan if waiting for filter to finish draining.

Final solution can then be evaporated and purged in whatever manner you prefer.

I haven't done this, but I bet you could go even further by leaving the 5 micron measuring cup solution in the pan of dry ice and then use something crazy like a .25 or .5 micron syringe filter to slowly suck all that solution up and get way way down there. Not sure how easy that would be, but might be a fun experiment.

Last edited:
seaofgreens,
Thank you! Just been in the freezer about 90 minutes now with the freezer on its highest setting. A watched pot never boils so I haven't checked it yet haha

Bad Ocelot

When the iso solution is in the freezer is there a goal temperature? I have about 2 grams of bho dissolved in 99% iso in my freezer. Does even such a small batch need to be in the freezer 24-48 hours or can the time be scaled down?

The last small run I did started to form precipitate at around 10hrs & the amount appeared to increase through 14hrs. Couldn't tell much of a difference from 14hrs & 48hrs. This was a test batch that yielded a total of around 0.15g of QWET from 1.13g of flower. I only used about 40mL of EtOH, and in retrospect I definitely could've gotten away with less. And I didn't weigh the precipitate or take photos so take with an appropriate amount of salt, ha. I'd imagine winterization time probably has a lot to do with the volume of alcohol as well as the concentration.

Hope that helps!

Bad Ocelot,
I've been running bho for about 6 months now. Winterized my last batch with 99% iso and it made a world of difference. Product went from solid and waxy to very clear. Next to some beard bros. shatter it's clear that their product tastes a little nicer and is a little smoother but also that there is no 'solventy' taste to mine. Difference simply being using top of the line bud by them and high-quality outdoor by me. I hope haha.
I winterized a small batch once and purged it at 165 ish fahrenheit. Got hard, clear shatter that was more or less tasteless. The bigger batch I more recently run in purged at 80-100 and it's soft, creamy (but not runny or liquidy), fairly clear (but not as clear as the high temp purged product), and retained some taste (though not as full as if no alcohol was used for certain).
Based on the side by side with beard bros. I'm fairly confident my product is clean. Is it as good as theirs? No. But it's good. Haha

donkitrk99,
I heard that adding a half once warm everclear after blasting will aid in getting more butane out but not ad alot time on a heat purge . Don't want to loose any flavor. Any suggestions

Hillbilly odd couple,

herbivore21

Guys, IME isopropanol is not at all useful for winterization. I have never successfully had any waxes etc solidify and separate from an iso solution even after 60+ hours in the freezer. It is an utter waste of time to use ISO for winterization IME.

If you want to winterize, I only suggest ethyl alcohol (ethanol). Whilst Methyl alcohol and Acetone are able to be used for winterization successfully, there are risks to working with these solvents that none of you should ever be flirting with in the home. Those solvents are for proper lab settings and qualified operators only :2c:

My question is if I add about a once to the mix right after running the butane would it help with purging the butane and would that little effect how long it takes for the purge. I would use everclear.

Hillbilly odd couple,
Top Bottom