Question Regarding Blood Tests During Hospital Visits, etc

omonibo

Hi, I realize this question may seem sort of paranoid but I guess if I can get some more information about this it might make it more clear for me.

If an individual has a medical cannabis recommendation in a state like California, and lets say that for some unfortunate reason they end up in the emergency room. For example, lets say they get food poisoning.

Since I imagine part of the emergency-room process , especially for something like food poisoning would call for blood tests, and even if they are not specifically looking for cannabis, I imagine they would not have trouble finding it in the blood.

Now, I guess what worries me here is, what can happen with this information? If the hospital now knows the individual has cannabis in their blood, can they use this information to claim that cannabis is a possible cause for the visit (even though it makes no sense)? Will they send this information to person's insurance company? I know this must depend on each individual hospital, but is it common?

Again, the LAST thing I want to do is worry others or even worry about this myself, but it just has been bugging me. Thanks!

Just an edit: I have been a medical cannabis patient for about two and a half years, and this was just something that I have been thinking about.

omonibo,

stroh

errl enthusiast
if you have a medical license than i would not worry about it.

stroh,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
AFAIK, there is so much that can be found in blood, that unless they are looking for something specific, it won't just pop out. They have to order what they are 'looking for'. So, they get blood for each group of things they look for. Unless they specifically looked for "toxins" which cannabis can be considered, they shouldn't find it. Again, this is all just based on what I think, no specific facts.

Purpl3_Haz3,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I live in a non-med friendly state and I have no worries about something like that.

I have been tested (blood and urine) for life insurance policies and that was never an issue - you know what was?

Nicotine...

Now, if you get into a car crash and kill someone after having a couple of brews then all bets are off on the results of your blood test. But then again, I believe you have to be a certain % of mg/ml before you are considered 'impaired' and if worst came to worst a lawyer could argue that.

AGBeer,

Nycdeisel

I live in a non-med friendly state and I have no worries about something like that. ]

Same here.

I have given blood and urine on many different occasions, and theres never a problem. its because they actually need to specifically look for cannabis(metabolites of thc, to be exact) and even then, it may still have nothing to do with what they are originally testing for.

Tobacco is the real problem, but that shit is gross anyway.

Nycdeisel,

treecityrnd

It violates your HIPAA rights if they use the blood for anything other than the intended test (in this case, maybe ecoli or botch toxins) and your name is still attached to the blood. It is illegal and the hospital could literally get shut down, nurses and floor/lab managers would definitely lose their jobs. Specifically, it violates the confidentiality provisions of the Patient Safety Rule, which protects identifiable information being used to analyze patient safety events...so I would get to worried.

treecityrnd,

Purple-Days

Let's say you have to go to the emergency room . . . because of a work related accident.

Workers comp (and your employer) has every right they need to request a drug panel, in a work related accident case... In fact, this sort of 'work accident' testing is very common. At about $45 they will screen you for opiates, amphetamines, barbituates, cocaine, pot, and alcohol. If you are positive, and they will be testing (count on that), they don't care how impared you were, nor will they bother to quantitate your imparement... well, how much protection does your card give you now?

Will they forgive that forklift accident? Will they say, oh that's OK, little Johnny, you didn't mean to hurt anybody... Or, that's OK, little Susie, you were only a little high... Hell no, you will be fired, you will not collect workers comp. (if you are injured) and you will not be getting 105 weeks :rolleyes: of un-employment.

Same goes for an auto accident (with injuries), probable cause (seeds, weed, paraphenalia) and you are likely tested, same as if they found a vodka bottle ...

MMJ card handy??? You may as well show them a Monopoly 'get out of jail card free' card. They will laugh just as hard... ;) IMO :2c:

That card gives you certain rights. But . . .

Purple-Days,

treecityrnd

Purple-Days said:
They will laugh just as hard... ;) IMO :2c:

That card gives you certain rights. But . . .

Exactly. Department of Labor Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 hasn't changed.

treecityrnd,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Good point about work-related accidents.

But considering how long MJ stays in your system, the person who had the fork-lift accident might not have even consumed for a week or two beforehand, and maybe only at a weekend etc. Now of course this may well not matter to your employer, but aren't there ways of testing how immediately prevalent the MJ is in your system - something akin to an MJ breathalyser?
Would be a much fairer way to test in these situations if there was.

wilf789,

treecityrnd

wilf789 said:
the person who had the fork-lift accident might not have even consumed for a week or two beforehand, and maybe only at a weekend

aren't there ways of testing how immediately prevalent the MJ is in your system - something akin to an MJ breathalyser?

This is exactly the challenge with current MMJ laws and potential legalization. A true urinalysis (liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry) can show nanogram (ng) levels of substances in your system, but are large expensive machines and take time (done them for years in my lab). Not something a police officer can use if you are pulled over and suspected of DWV (driving while vaped). Blood works too, but slightly invasive for traffic stops. You can look at excretion profiles (which is how we usually do it). But you need a baseline measeure of the substance in the body, in our case 11-nor-9-carboxy-Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THCCOOH), to determine if there is any change in the profile. This is how WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency, major regulatory body associated with all olympic and most sports drug testing) does it. Atheletes give basline blood levels. If they are tested and the levels do not match the baseline = Red Flag!

It is common knowledge that MMJ is lipid soluble (stored in fat) and so is released in small amounts when you exercise or even sleeping when using fat stores for nutrients (especially if you have a large concentration already stored in you fatty tissues). This is a small part of the reason why someone "might not have even consumed for a week or two beforehand, and maybe only at a weekend" and it still shows up in your system. However...

Cannabinoids (and most drugs; benzodiazapines, opiates, barbs, etc.) do not work like alcohol. Alcohol works on zero-order kinetics. In other words, it is eliminated at exactly the same rate from your body every hour. The usual rule of thumb is "one drink per hour". And it will almost always work like this. If you have 10 drinks, it will take approximately 10 hours to eliminate all the alcohol. Obviously metabolism, drink size, etc. may alter this but not drastically. If you drink a case of been in 1 hour, you will have alcohol in your system for approximately 24 hours.

Cannabinoids work on first-order kinetics which essentially means they follow the half-life rule. For example, some cannabinoids have a half-life of one hour (for comparison with alcohol kinetics). This means that half of the remaining drug concentration in your body will be eliminated every hour. Thus, after 1 hour, half (1/2) of the drug will be left in your system (at this point, all alcohol would be eliminated, 0.00 BAC). After 2 hours, half of that remaining half will be eliminated, thus giving you 1/4 of the original dose still circulating in your blood. Keep going...the usual rule of thumb is the "5 half-life rule". Enough of the drug is removed from your body after 5 half-lives to essentially be eliminated, but it could still be seen with blood or urine in ng measures. In our example, 5 X 1 hour is 5 hours for elimination compared to 1 hour for alcohol. So, if you consume a large amount in one setting (like the case of beer example above), the amount in your body after even 2 or 3 half-lives might still be realtively large when measured, weeks or months after initial consumption (see below)

Here lies the major problem; some cannabinoids have been shown to have half-lives of 7 - 30 days. Thus, 7 days X 5 is 35 days that the drug can remain in your body. Will this amount come out on a simple 5-panel screen done at most places; doubtful. But that also depends on initial levels, etc.

The other problem with a "breathalyzer" type model is that THC is not water soluble and not measurable in that manner. Alcohol evaporates at room temperature and at even higher rates when you are exhaling (warm body temp heats it up to reduce the vapor pressure). Thus, easily measurable in gas form. With cigarettes, I can measure the amount of CO that you expel on a simple Monoxide Breathalyzer and determine how long it's been since you've smoked a cigarette. MJ smoke does not contain the same levels of CO. In addition, MJ does disrupt some motor control, but not in the same areas of the brain as alcohol. Thus, a field sobriety test is not valid to determine if someone is under the influence of MJ. It might lead the police office to invoke probable-cause and then...well, good luck :rolleyes:

Do we go with a zero-tolerance policy? I don't think this is the answer given the complex pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids. With little to no research in the US, and some good stuff coming from Spain, Portugal, Netherlands and Japan, the US may not be the country to set the standard for these impairment measures or even cannabinoid receptor-targeted drugs (the future of MMJ IMO).

Hope this wasn't too remedial or long-winded. But it annoys me when everyone talks about legalization and even MMJ but doesn't consider the legal, research and technological hurdles we still face for basic public safety on the roads and for workplace conditions.

treecityrnd,

Sour Deez

ive been to the emergency room plenty of times and that topic has never been brought up after they took my blood.

They might have asked me questions regarding drugs/alcohol but never directly because they found thc in my blood.

And it certainly was there to be found :lol:

Sour Deez,

omonibo

A huge thanks to everyone that has responded. Treecityrnd, I enjoyed reading your informative post and there was a lot of information there. I had no idea that cannabinoids work on a half-life system as opposed to the way alcohol is expelled from the body.

omonibo,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
treecityrnd said:
This is exactly the challenge with current MMJ laws and potential legalization.

I may not be a Biochemist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

No... seriously. I'm NOT a Biochemist... but I do have everyday, anytime access to one. My father is. I still remember grad school (BOOMER SOONER!) and spending days in the lab with him. I've had this conversation MANY times with him. tree, nails it.

What gets me, is all the inconsistency and misconceptions from people on "masking", or "fooling" the test, given its YOUR sample. Sure... depending on what type and level of testing you do... is going to effect, the ability to mask/fool. But, if you're specifically being tested for Cannabinoids and such, its being done by a lab... unless you're truly clean, forget it. You're going down. That length of time to show clean, has so many variables (esp depending on the type test), it literally makes your head spin.

Our youngest son, is one of those that thinks... If I drink a lot of water before, I'll dilute it!. I told him the story of the tech, I had to drive to a drug test one time, that literally drank 2 gallons of water, between the accident and the lab. He drank one of those gallons while I was driving him to the lab. It was a 10 mile drive and took me over an hour to get there. We had to stop, like every 5 minutes for him to take a leak. If anyone on this planet had diluted urine... it was this guy. He was fired a few days later.

He's got all kinds of other... same crap we were saying when I was a teen, theories. I finally just told him, "Call you grandpa, tell him you're doing a report for school and ask him specifically about all your ideas." He never did and I got the typical teentude, that he knew better than me (because his friends told him). Whatever, dumbass... don't say I didn't tell you so. Sigh...

I know testing is unavoidable sometimes. But I do know, the one thing I want more than anything else, prior to testing... is as much advance (TIME) notice, as I can get. :D

BigDaddyVapor,

treecityrnd

BigDaddyVapor said:
I may not be a Biochemist, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Thanks BigDaddy :lol: Nothing like LOL at 8am on a Monday to start your week off right.

I've been using this quote all week.

treecityrnd,
Top Bottom