Question about thread-locking policy

Wednesday

Hi folks! I posted a few weeks ago in "Ask FC" asking for advice about the DaVinci vs the Solo, and I received some great commentary and feedback. I've been super busy and am just now coming back to the thread, and I wanted to post a thank you and an update about how my choice of vape (the Solo) was going so far, but the thread was locked. Does a locked thread mean that something in there was a forum violation? Or was it locked because I disappeared for a while without replying? I don't want to post again in that forum and link to a locked thread without knowing why it was locked in the first place, and my forum spidey-sense says that's probably against the rules anyway. Any suggestions? I'm sorry if I inadvertently broke any of the rules! It was completely unintentional.

Wednesday,

max

Out to lunch
Ask FC wasn't set up for endless discussion threads. Occasionally we'll leave a thread open for discussion for a while because it's potentially of general interest to even veteran vaporists. Most threads in this section are newbie questions like yours and are closed and moved to ABV (archive) after the OP gets an answer, or if we feel the thread has been neglected or abandoned by the originator. The other day I closed an Ask FC thread where the thread starter posted a question and had even not logged back onto the forum after 3 days.

In your case you started the thread on 11/26, got some replies, and made another post the same day. So far so good. Another reponse was made that day, and then nothing else was posted until a week later. You started the thread, so it's your responsibility to show up and show you're still looking for answers. There were 3 more responses over the next 5 days. At that point you hadn't posted in your thread in 11 days, and since you weren't showing any interest, it was considered to be just another abandoned thread, and at some point, maybe days later, it was closed and moved to ABV. That's the way this section works.

I suggest you read up on the popular models that fit your needs, in the Vaporizer Discussion section. You may also find helpful info in closed threads in ABV- http://fuckcombustion.com/forums/abv.8/ . After doing some more research, if you don't find the answers you need, you can start another thread in Ask FC. But it's your responsibility to keep the thread active and on topic, and you can't use it as an ongoing platform for all your questions. As with most forums, we like one topic per thread.

max,

Wednesday

Thanks Max, that's the clarification I was looking for! I'm not offended it was locked. I suspected it was a "You're new and you didn't show up for a while," matter but I wanted to be sure before starting another thread since there are dead threads that aren't locked dating back to 2008 in FC. (I recognize that just because the forum admins are keeping closer tabs on recent threads doesn't mean they're going to go back through hundreds of old threads and lock those as well, nor that they're under any obligation to lock every single abandoned thread; I'm just explaining the source of my uncertainty.)

I do want to read up on the model I chose, but at 10,000 posts strong, it is very slow going reading the Solo-specific thread. I've been hesitant to post again before reading through most of that since chances are good that my issues have been addressed several times over in there. I just discovered the posts about the wiki today, so that will help narrow things down. Thanks for the suggestion to check the closed threads! When I get more time after the holidays, I'll probably come back and get some serious research done.

Wednesday,
Top Bottom