Question about First Herb Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti-mar

I just bought a 4 piece Santa Cruz Shredder from the thevapelifestore. It's my first grinder so I am not sure if this is normal or not. After a couple of days, there is a ring of wear around the top piece. The coating is wearing off and leaving some kind of dust inside the 2nd topmost piece. I will attach photos since my description may not be clear.

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Is this supposed to happen or is there something wrong my grinder?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Martin

marti-mar,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Wow, that is not normal! My SCS does not show any sort of wear like that! Almost looks like your SCS was bent out of alignment or something. I'd request a replacement - you're paying top dollar for a high end grinder, it should perform like one!

(Welcome to the forum btw :wave:)

Edit - 1000th post, woot!

Last edited by a moderator:

marti-mar

Wow, that is not normal! My SCS does not show any sort of wear like that! Almost looks like your SCS was bent out of alignment or something. I'd request a replacement - you're paying top dollar for a high end grinder, it should perform like one!

(Welcome to the forum btw :wave:)

Thanks! I'll contact the store.

SpaceCoyote

I just bought a 4 piece Santa Cruz Shredder from the thevapelifestore. It's my first grinder so I am not sure if this is normal or not. After a couple of days, there is a ring of wear around the top piece. The coating is wearing off and leaving some kind of dust inside the 2nd topmost piece. I will attach photos since my description may not be clear.

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Is this supposed to happen or is there something wrong my grinder?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Martin

My Shredder gets a little gunk building up in that area after a few days. I suppose if your herb had a little dirt on it, it might be abrasive enough to cause something like that. Or perhaps a manufacturing defect causing too much friction between the pieces?

SpaceCoyote,

marti-mar

My Shredder gets a little gunk building up in that area after a few days. I suppose if your herb had a little dirt on it, it might be abrasive enough to cause something like that. Or perhaps a manufacturing defect causing too much friction between the pieces?

I haven't actually put anything in the shredder yet. I was just twisting it idly while watching videos on my computer. I was going to use it next week when I get some herb. The residue left inside is from the metal on metal grinding that created the ring of wear.

I just didn't know if this is normal for a grinder ... kind of like breaking it in, or if it was a manufacturing defect.

marti-mar,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I haven't actually put anything in the shredder yet. I was just twisting it idly while watching videos on my computer. I was going to use it next week when I get some herb. The residue left inside is from the metal on metal grinding that created the ring of wear.

I just didn't know if this is normal for a grinder ... kind of like breaking it in, or if it was a manufacturing defect.

Yeah, that looks like your grinder is bent or dented, and not perfectly centered. That "dust" you're seeing is the annodized metal finish rubbing off from friction. A perfect SCS spins smooth. So smooth I can't even tell I have herb in the grinder half the time! It's so much smoother than the shitty few I've bought from my LHS.

Yes, I develop the hash-junk like all grinders do over time. But that absolutely looks like friction wear from a misaligned grinder. Pay attention when you twist the top, can you feel it 'catch' in one spot, maybe two?

I don't know how much you paid, but for the price I paid for my SCS, there's no way in hell I'd accept that. I prefer to keep my herb free of fine metal dust particles. Even though I use water filtration 99% of the time, I am not risking my health over something like that!

marti-mar

Yes, I develop the hash-junk like all grinders do over time. But that absolutely looks like friction wear from a misaligned grinder. Pay attention when you twist the top, can you feel it 'catch' in one spot, maybe two?

Yes, I can feel it catch when I spin the top. It is in more than one place. I have contacted the store. They said they would inquire with SCS.

Thanks!

MinnBobber

Yes, I can feel it catch when I spin the top. It is in more than one place. I have contacted the store. They said they would inquire with SCS.

Thanks!

With nothing in it, my SCS small 3 piece spins like it's on roller bearings. Even with herb, it spins like it's empty. Something must be amuck with yours.
Can you suggest to vapelife that they inspect BEFORE they ship!! I think someone in Australia reported that their SCS from vapelife arrived with minor dents and scratches (and not shipping damaged). Their response indicated they get their grinder and just pack/ship without inspecting. a 10 second inspection would save everyone a lot of grief.
My SCS from them thankfully arrived in perfect condition

marti-mar

With nothing in it, my SCS small 3 piece spins like it's on roller bearings. Even with herb, it spins like it's empty. Something must be amuck with yours.
Can you suggest to vapelife that they inspect BEFORE they ship!! I think someone in Australia reported that their SCS from vapelife arrived with minor dents and scratches (and not shipping damaged). Their response indicated they get their grinder and just pack/ship without inspecting. a 10 second inspection would save everyone a lot of grief.
My SCS from them thankfully arrived in perfect condition

Mine was not packed well at all. They put it in a bubble wrap bag, and put the bag in a rolled up bubble wrap envelope and shipped it like that. The bubble wrap will do no good if the post office drops 100 pounds of stuff on top of it.

The vapelifestore asked me to contact SCS directly since they said they have never seen this before.

Last edited:
marti-mar,

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician
That sounds like terrible packaging.

I've packaged thousands of pieces of glass into boxes and shipped them all over the world. Paper stuffed into boxes is what protects, bubble wrap is bullshit.

SamuraiSam,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Mine was not packed well at all. They put it in a bubble wrap bag, and put the bag in a rolled up bubble wrap envelope and shipped it like that. The bubble wrap will do no good if the post office drops 100 pounds of stuff on top of it.

The vapelifestore asked me to contact SCS directly since they said they have never seen this before.
Sounds like i'd never order from there.

KidFated.,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom