quartz nail quality check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman5280

I think I am going to get a quartz nail instead of titanium...the thought of inhaling off of titanium concerns me and quartz seems better for my mind.

is there difference in quartz quality? i see cheap $20 nails all the way up to $150 quartz nails.

I also read some quartz might actually be boro and not quartz.

does any of this matter? will "cheap" quartz give off anything? or are all my concerns happening at way higher temperatures that ill be using?

thanks!

Jman5280,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
I'll take a stab at this. While there are reports of inexpensive Ti nails being made from something other than grade 2, and thus unsafe, there's NO similar reports regarding glass or quartz. I think any difference will be fit and finish related.

"There are many differences between borosilicate glass and quartz, either pure- or synthetic-fused silica types. The main differences are the percentage of compounds and the percentage of silica or SiO2 in the glass. Borosilicate is usually in the 80% range, while quartz is over 99%. Quartz is also capable of handling much higher temperatures up to 1,100° C. Quartz is typically used for high temperature applications, or where optical quality or dielectric properties are critical. Impurities in borosilicate glass are measured in percent; impurities in quartz are measured in PPM."

So it seems like true quartz can handle higher temps, but do you need that? Seems like interest is moving towards low temp dabs, carb caps, etc. And if the cheaper nail breaks, get a new one. I'm sure not paying $150 for a nail!

My understanding is there is no off-gassing or other problems to worry about with an inexpensive nail.

I just got a ceramic nail from these guys, hopefully gonna try it in a little bit : )
http://www.ebay.com/usr/titaniumedgeshop?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Jman5280

you answered exactly what I was asking, thank you. Where did you find that info?
I want to find more info about Boro nails and if theres anything bad about them.

Jman5280,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
Just did a quick search, you know, google is your friend (not really - heh). The more you search and read,
the more you find that even the purest concentrates contain impurities, like the oil in butane etc. If you're interested in avoiding that, and concerned about nails giving off harmful substances, maybe you would be happier with flowers? No solvents involved, lower temps for the whole process, etc.

I'm starting to really like dabbing, but it's not a perfect solution. With that said, I'll probably get a Ti nail, cause I want to try one. These guys use documented USA made grade 2 Titanium, and have good prices:
http://www.new-vape.com/

pigfoot,

Jman5280

Just did a quick search, you know, google is your friend (not really - heh). The more you search and read,
the more you find that even the purest concentrates contain impurities, like the oil in butane etc. If you're interested in avoiding that, and concerned about nails giving off harmful substances, maybe you would be happier with flowers? No solvents involved, lower temps for the whole process, etc.

I'm starting to really like dabbing, but it's not a perfect solution. With that said, I'll probably get a Ti nail, cause I want to try one. These guys use documented USA made grade 2 Titanium, and have good prices:
http://www.new-vape.com/

something about 30 for grade 2 seems iffy...everything that website claimed is just like the knockoffs.

Jman5280,

pigfoot

Dabs are vapor too!
something about 30 for grade 2 seems iffy...everything that website claimed is just like the knockoffs.

Only because people are used to inflated prices. The material and labor isn't that expensive, it's just turned on a lathe. They document the source of their Ti. The "knockoffs" don't. Also, they are a legitimate business, doing other CNC work.

Last edited:
pigfoot,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom