Quartz Banger Thread

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
I have shitty luck or im way too wasted. The 35mm Halen Bucket broke already. Without getting into details, Completely my fault. SMH.... I will be getting a new bucket put on with some alterations like making it shorter so i dont burn myself qtipping. This was the only bucket i have been using since i got it.. My brand new Toro Grail XXL hasnt gotten much love. My only insert for the 30mm Toro is the full opaque and i am a sapphireman. I still have the China Galaxy to go to but it just doesnt taste right. Sooooo I was able to score a rare Pukinbeagle Gold Label Flat Top thats 35.7mm and a ID of 30mm made by Ron. LOL whatever that means. I dont know anything about Pukinbeagle but i was told he is the man behind PB. This will be a tight fit for the 29.50 sapphire insert. My MiniNail coil is 35.6mm wide.. I just need to stretch that bad boy out a tab bit.

Until then, Its back to the 25mm Halen Bucket with the cracked CCA 20mm Sapphire.

BTW, check out NVSGLASS's Bubble caps. I just bought one random one cuz it was his biggest but dam. I like it a lot. More than the Fatboy bubble, brian sheridan bubble, gordo bubble and the bubblestar. I have been on a bubble cap tear lately.

https://www.instagram.com/nvsglass/ Ooohh and they come with a cool ass bubble cap glass holder... i love the little touches.

Its been an expensive week and 710 is around the corner!!! Im not done tho!! Some sales are just starting!!!

Last edited:

Danksta

I have shitty luck or im way too wasted. The 35mm Halen Bucket broke already. Without getting into details, Completely my fault. SMH.... I will be getting a new bucket put on with some alterations like making it shorter so i dont burn myself qtipping. This was the only bucket i have been using since i got it.. My brand new Toro Grail XXL hasnt gotten much love. My only insert for the 30mm Toro is the full opaque and i am a sapphireman. I still have the China Galaxy to go to but it just doesnt taste right. Sooooo I was able to score a rare Pukinbeagle Gold Label Flat Top thats 35.7mm and a ID of 30mm made by Ron. LOL whatever that means. I dont know anything about Pukinbeagle but i was told he is the man behind PB. This will be a tight fit for the 29.50 sapphire insert. My MiniNail coil is 35.6mm wide.. I just need to stretch that bad boy out a tab bit.

Until then, Its back to the 25mm Halen Bucket with the cracked CCA 20mm Sapphire.

BTW, check out NVSGLASS's Bubble caps. I just bought one random one cuz it was his biggest but dam. I like it a lot. More than the Fatboy bubble, brian sheridan bubble, gordo bubble and the bubblestar. I have been on a bubble cap tear lately.

https://www.instagram.com/nvsglass/ Ooohh and they come with a cool ass bubble cap glass holder... i love the little touches.

Its been an expensive week and 710 is around the corner!!! Im not done tho!! Some sales are just starting!!!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Was it from an insert drop?

Danksta,

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Was it from an insert drop?
Nope. it was cold and wasnt even being used when it broke. But i know it was completely my fault. I am not sure what i did exactly to break it but it had thin walls to begin with 1.8mm thick. I really like the long/deep bucket i had on this but will ask to reduce the top an half inch. This way my fingers dont burn when qtipping.

710Coils

Manufacturer
I have found that not spreading the coil over a quartz banger works better. I also make sure the end of the coil is on the bottom edge of the banger. So its reading the bottom temp and not the side wall.
For clips, I have created some simple and effective kits I will be offering soon, that will hold the coil in place when hot and cold. So they will keep you from having to mess with the coil. Or running into the coil expanding when hot and getting slightly angled so when it cools down, it will pop the bottom of the banger off. I cannot tell you how many bangers I have lost in this process. But I now have it down and no longer loose bangers to the coil moving when hot and supporting the weight of the coil arm against the banger

Here are some pics of my fitted coil on a 25mm banger and the clips in action =)

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail

Oogendoogan

I have found that not spreading the coil over a quartz banger works better. I also make sure the end of the coil is on the bottom edge of the banger. So its reading the bottom temp and not the side wall.
For clips, I have created some simple and effective kits I will be offering soon, that will hold the coil in place when hot and cold. So they will keep you from having to mess with the coil. Or running into the coil expanding when hot and getting slightly angled so when it cools down, it will pop the bottom of the banger off. I cannot tell you how many bangers I have lost in this process. But I now have it down and no longer loose bangers to the coil moving when hot and supporting the weight of the coil arm against the banger

Here are some pics of my fitted coil on a 25mm banger and the clips in action =)

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail
I can’t see your pics but those clips sound pretty awesome. I would Forsure be interested in a better clip solution compared to what I’m using now which is 2 metal rings and a silicon o ring. I have to adjust my coil regularly and it gets old. Maybe try reposting the pics or just sharing a link. Love the idea tho.

Oogendoogan,

buddingglasshead

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail

I can't compare side by side, but it's interesting that you say that. I found better performance with the coil spread, but still having the end of the coil on the bottom of a fairly thick banger. I also have the coil on so tight I'd feel fine shaking around the banger with the coil on. I had to turn down my temps a bit on the Hexnail after spreading the coil.

Maybe because I'm using a barrel coil instead of an axial?

buddingglasshead,

710Coils

Manufacturer
@buddingglasshead the coil holds a better set temp when not spread and having the end of the coil on the very bottom edge of the banger. It will read from that point and will help with keeping the bottom of the banger at the proper temp. You don’t need to spread the coil since you really only care about heating the half of it.
The second part is the fit. The fit cold should be similar to an empty syringe tube. Smooth glide with a little resistance. When the coil heats up, the coil will expand some and so this is where I found supporting the arm with a clip helped elevate this variable.

Shoot me a direct message and I will send you a set of my clips to try out :tup:

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
35mm Galaxy Enail and Banger are a VERY good fit for the CCA Flat inserts, i just
got mine (no time for testing...wifey weekend ahead :D ) today and as @Shooby said the ground is not perfect flat
but i think the totally covering coil should still do a good job...man cant wait to get home again arrrr :D

Here the first "wedding" with the CCA insert :)

2nlvjuh.png

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
Interesting that they are putting a logo on the bucket that isnt sand blasted.

I have been trying hard to imitate a torch dab with an enail coil without much luck. I am not sure why it is but i enjoy the high and taste of torch dabs compared to enails. I torch at the office and use enails at home.

Does any one else notice that torch dabs taste better? or even vice versa? Enail tasting better than torch.

Oogendoogan

Interesting that they are putting a logo on the bucket that isnt sand blasted.

I have been trying hard to imitate a torch dab with an enail coil without much luck. I am not sure why it is but i enjoy the high and taste of torch dabs compared to enails. I torch at the office and use enails at home.

Does any one else notice that torch dabs taste better? or even vice versa? Enail tasting better than torch.
It’s easier to get good flavor from a torch dab IMO but to get that flavor your naturally wasting a little more than an enail if that makes any sense. Like with a torch you drop your dab at the right temp, take your dab and it cools down. You get food flavor and as it cools the vapor goes away and you have a puddle to q tip. Same thing with an enail but the only difference is the heat doesn’t go away so neither does the vapor until the dab is truly done. So with the torch dab as it cools you’re basically saving flavor that the enail doesn’t save. The enail will keep hitting and the tail end of those dabs is not gonna taste as good as with a torch. But there’s always trade offs. I personally q tip more from torch dabs than I do from enail dabs. It’s obvious that I’m leaving a larger puddle behind unless I reheat and that’s pointless here because a re heat truly kills flavor. I think you could achieve close to the same flavor from a torch dab with an enail if you were to stop hitting your dab far before it stopped producing vapor. This way your not getting those extra hits that you wouldn’t get with a torch.

710Coils

Manufacturer
I found torch dabs to not be as consistent as an enail. I seemed to always be off with my counting and would end up with a hot dab. Or hit the window on the end and not have enough heat to finish off the dab as expected. In between this, I did get good dabs. But always had a hard time with constantly hitting the ideal temp window

Enails also take time to master, but are much easier in the learning curve. The issue is half the time there isnt solid info on how to fit the coils and whats really ideal. It took me alot of broken bangers to figure all this out and I dont even want to begin to add up all the grails, gavels, and fat bottom bangers I have sacrificed to the dab gods. But now that I have cracked it. I very rarely break bangers and can now justify the enail with a 25mm quartz banger as being my ideal setup.

In the end its really a user preference, sort of like cooking over fire or in an oven =)

They both have their pros and cons depending on the situation

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
While testing my boro banger with the sapphire insert i realized that it tastes not as good as if i use my Liger...i figuered some time and then (i think) realized that my coil produces smell when heated and i do think that this also alters the taste of the dab...on the liger u have the heatshield as a blocking device somehow and that smell/taste of the coil doesnt get into the air path...i need to test more but that were my first impressions after side by side testing...

I now dont know if its just my cheap coils..will also try to burn them out (run them rly hot on their own for a while)
Maybe they use some cheaper material too, if this occurs with any nail coil that is too near from the air path then its a nogo because the taste rly is inferior (for now)...will try my galaxynail 35mm/30mm liger setup at home..

That could also be the reason why u prefer torched dabs over enail ones taste wise @Shooby

Regards :)

Last edited:

710Coils

Manufacturer
@gunmetalshark I have never had a coil that smelled bad and didn't burn off quickly. If you can try another coil. I would highly recommend trying this to see if it is in fact the coil that is off gassing something bad that you can smell and taste

What temp are you running at and what is your average set temp?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am currently using sic and never really explored other options. When I started, nobody was using inserts or beads and now I see them everywhere. Do quartz inserts provide a better experience than sic?

I got away from quartz in my torching days as I got tired of all my bangers fogging up so frequently despite heavy qtipping and cleaning.

710Coils

Manufacturer
@FlyingLow I have only tried the plain Jane quartz inserts that are pretty much everywhere. They are not bad at all and I dont see why the SiC insert would be worse. Unless it was crazy thick or something. But all the insert is doing is giving you a buffer from the straight heat, so you can get that low temp dab =)

using a 25mm banger with a barrel coil has been a game changer for me. The main issue is the learning curve and breaking bangers. I found that it was less painful to finish my learning on some of the budget bangers out there and then migrate back to the higher end gear once I had my tech dialed in.
In the end it was 2 things. Supporting the coil arm and fitting the coil to the banger properly. When you have both those items down, you will rarely break anything and when you do, you will most likely know why

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Since a torched dab is always going to be hotter than an enail dab, I find going too low in temperature can ironically kill flavor as you won't get that complete flavor spectrum. Instead it will be diluted out over multiple inhales. Same thing with effects, since a torched dab starts hotter, you could simply be vaporizing compounds that are otherwise being missed.

I'm pretty biased in preferring the enail though. I think the dabs tend to be smoother which is a big thing for me.

I am currently using sic and never really explored other options. When I started, nobody was using inserts or beads and now I see them everywhere. Do quartz inserts provide a better experience than sic?

I got away from quartz in my torching days as I got tired of all my bangers fogging up so frequently despite heavy qtipping and cleaning.

I have a Sic halo and Gavel + 25mm coil setup. IMO they are both pretty bitchin. Halo is way easier to clean, though I love the 10mm water pipe functionality of the bangers, IMO that is the biggest appeal. There is some MAJOR flavor in these small rigs with simple percs and minimal water.

710Coils

Manufacturer
I have been comparing some knockoff bangers to my higher end versions and have had solid results so far. I would highly recommend checking these out:

Opaque 25mm banger

Quartz thick bottom 25mm banger

They are not the 180 dollar versions, but are pretty damn close. The company that is selling them doesn't hesitate to send out a proper banger if you get a bad one. I would look into these as a solid backup or something to use while learning the coil adjusting as it does not hurt remotely as bad when you break a 30 banger over a 180 =)

Also the gavels are just harder to clean, but make up for it in flavor. The fat bottom quartz bangers are super easy to keep clean and take much more to chass them up

For cleaning the bangers I have found that a candle warmer with a glass dish full of simple green covered will clean any banger to new when soaked for a few hours. Its like magic and the simple green will go forever before you need to dump it out or add more to it. By far its the best way to clean your bangers. @YabbaDABBAdo can contest to this as he hooked me up with the simple green tech :tup:

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
@gunmetalshark I have never had a coil that smelled bad and didn't burn off quickly. If you can try another coil. I would highly recommend trying this to see if it is in fact the coil that is off gassing something bad that you can smell and taste

What temp are you running at and what is your average set temp?

Bad smell may be the wrong word term, sorry engl. is not my native language but it def. prod. Some kind of metalic smell ;)
Will try my galaxynail 35mm coil and report back how that works out :)

gunmetalshark,
Reactions: 710Coils

710Coils

Manufacturer
@gunmetalshark I have many coils and have not come across what you are describing. You could try giving it a dunk in ISO when a little warm, but not full on hot. Maybe a 100 or more degrees. This should remove any oils that have not burned off and should hopefully remove the bad smell from the coil.

Could you post a pic of the coil possibly?

710Coils,
Top Bottom