1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Pyrology Glass

Discussion in 'Glass' started by PaperClouds, Apr 1, 2013.

1. PaperClouds

PaperClouds Red Eyed Jedi

2. mrboote

mrboote ...

I always thought the construction on this brand always looked very high-quality. I think the drain hole is rather ugly and completely worthless on the majority of their stuff. I'm not a fan of multiple large sandblasted logos, and I dislike the shiny platinum ones even more.

3. that herb guy

that herb guy Well-Known Member

Is that what the black knob is? I thought maybe it was a way to alter the angle of the perc inside... which I kind of liked the idea of. Why place a drain hole that high in the can?:shrug:

I'm not familiar with the piece/brand, but it looks like a nice piece with some weird additional features that I don't know were necessary.

4. ilovebOObs

ilovebOObs can i stick my male joint in there?

almost picked up a mini sucker punch last week but couldn't get them to budge on the pricing which thought was too high. woulda gotten the full sized sucker punch if only they had a bubbler mouthpiece instead of the tube style. but overall they are nice stackers. also kinda afraid i may lose the drain hole cap by accident.

5. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Haha definitely doesn't move the fixed glass perc around.

A drain hole allows you to drain out the water without getting the mouthpiece wet or the joint wet.
    Although, it makes more sense on pieces where it is tricky emptying out the water. Like perc'd glass.

6. that herb guy

that herb guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, just like you said with a simple showerhead (have a similar perc'd piece) I've never had any trouble draining/filling a piece like that. Honestly anything with a carb (which I basically count that as) and scientific/decent quality glass just kind of makes me go 'WAT'.:doh:

7. redglassgallery

redglassgallery JHANPIXEL Glass Blower

these guys branched out from a major label that went downhill so their quality ( from what i have seen 1st hand ) is tits

8. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Pyrology "The Stew" perc is pretty awwesome.
    Although the price isn't :p

Action starts around 0:24

ilovebOObs and Buildozer like this.
  9. PaperClouds

Why is everyone hating on the drain hole? I actually like it, normally and by normally I mean 99% of time I hate it too. I think it gives it a scientific look which I like and makes emptying it more efficient. You don't have to turn the piece all the way upside down, which doesn't seem like much but if you can take out one part of the equation that might cause a piece to break, why wouldn't you? To me anything that takes out the guess work or unneeded risks is smarter, that's part of why I love the Iolite so much where it lacks in variable temp control it makes up for in simplicity and it's "set it and forget it" style, which I have yet to see a vape that has such that isn't constantly heating the bud. All the same reason I would LOVE a digital hot plate for certain oily endeavors.

10. PaperClouds

Which major label?

11. mrboote

mrboote ...

Just remember, you are allowed to like it, and nobody's holding it against you. I personally dislike the drain because aesthetically it even looks useless. A proper drain hole should be on the bottom of the piece maybe... Also giant platinum words completely work against ay sci look they may be going for.

As for ease of emptying the piece, maybe gravity is stronger in my area, but I never need to fully invert something to make water flow out of it, just turn it on it's side usually, maybe a few degrees more than you'd have to with the handy drain hole.

But good lord, if it's making your GAS flair up buy it pronto!

12. PaperClouds

Haha you're right about the logo it is a little obnoxious and I was trying to make a point that it does serve a purpose, be it not entirely needed though. You can't say that my logic is wrong though. Honestly it's like a lot of high-end glass looks nice(other then the logo), functions well and is well built but in the end I'm still going to end up buying from smaller American glass companies that have products just as well constructed and not at a ludicrous price, and if I ever buy scientific looking glass it will be a HiSi.

13. ilovebOObs

ilovebOObs can i stick my male joint in there?

i think the point of having the the drain hole so high is because they want it above the water level, so you have to tilt it to empty the water, instead of the water just emptying out as soon as you open it. i still find it gimmicky but their glass is really well made.

scottio19 likes this.
  14. walrus

walrus Well-Known Member

Copped this Pyrology recycler from my lhs. Loving the size and function of this piece, pretty much the perfect amount of diffusion and cooling for me. Not really a fan of labeled pieces but this one is pretty unobtrusive. It kinda compliments the glass rather than overwhelming it like most labels seem to do. It's extremely clean, near flawless work, feels very high quality. Great recycling action and whirlpool.

I'm not really sold on the fill port, seems kinda useless and silly to me. I almost passed on this piece because of it but I've been looking for a nice compact recycler for a while now and this fit my needs perfectly. Glad I pulled the trigger, I've really been enjoying using this. It's a bit spendy at full retail but I got a nice deal and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Deja Vu

Deja Vu i don't ever wanna go to bed

That is an elegant and harmonious piece. I like the thick base and all of the internal intricacies.

walrus likes this.
  16. tennstrong

tennstrong Well-Known Member

Useless fact on Pyrology- started by some guys who left Sov (99% on this but correct me if I'm wrong)
    EDIT: I've also pulled off of the pyrology riglet, which for a micro travel rig is pretty nice and stacks nicely to just the top of the small can, but didn't have a satisfying bull because they use a slit perc, not sure about their other tubes

17. walrus

walrus Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was illadelph, not sov.

18. tennstrong

tennstrong Well-Known Member

Correct :)

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors