• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

fcanthony

Thanks for the info on the rings but as it turns out I am simply retiring my PD and am very disappointed in the fact that there is all this charred would buried in the unit. At first I thought it must have been years of plant material that fell into the heat exchanger but considering one of the prior posts and banging the bottom of my unit out some more it is clear that this is charred wood in the unit. I am rather disappointed that I didn't notice this a long time ago. There are a ton of posts on the days experience. Is possible that this is the first time the charred wood issue has come up? I literally have black wood chips falling out of the unit when tapping it. Inhaling charred wood and soot sort of defeats the purpose of vaping. As much as I swore by my Days for many years in the end I am disappointed. Back to the MFLB and searching for a good days replacement.

fcanthony,

Wolface

I too have laid mine to rest, It has been dying a slow death for awhile now. I have found it cold too many times now. It was making a buzzing , groaning noise and looking down inside I could see sparking and arcing! It served me well until the heat exchanger became loose. No amount of clips would correct it either. I don't know if it would burn my house down, but when I performed an autopsy on it by cutting it in half, it was full of nasty soot and burnt wood bits also. R.I.P. It will be missed.

Wolface,

Gunky

If you are getting arcing in there it is probably more or less kaput. If the heatport is loose, buy some rings and the ring pliers and stabilize the heatport. if you can keep it straight up and down it shouldn't char the sides much any more. I have a pd that I set aside as dead and it came back to life with rings.

fcanthony

So I think the wood in my girlfriend's PD has deteriorated so far that we are now pulling bits of burnt wood into the stems onto the heavier inhales.

Anyone else had an experience similar to this?

Yes. Same problem. I retired my PD for ths reason. I question whether I was doing my health any benefit by using the PD. Moving on.

fcanthony,

GyzziD

I had to buy a new power supply for my purple days, can anyone tell me if it is a negative or positive tip on that thing?

GyzziD,

placetime

I had to buy a new power supply for my purple days, can anyone tell me if it is a negative or positive tip on that thing?
Unless you have a really old PD that has an LED, polarity doesn't matter. If your PD does have an LED, polarity does matter, but I'm not sure which way it should go. :shrug:

placetime,

GyzziD

It's a non-LED version, though I wish it had one so I'd know when my power supply is crapping out before I take a big cold vape hit :)

Thanks. I'll just plug it in then.

GyzziD,

HoneyAir

Yes, this very issue with the PD has been covered in the last 20-40 pages.

The heat is too much that the wood dries out and chars.

This expands the wood so that the unit rattles around inside.

This rattling leads to mechanical stress on the resistor until it breaks or shorting out the wires causing the powersupply to fry.

This is why I am on the waiting list for the HI [Heat Island].
The HI insulates the heat in the very center of the tube without needing to spread heat to its 'heatsinks' like the PD does, this allows the HI to warm up in only FIVE minutes.

Because the heat does not migrate to the sides, there is no charring of the wood [so far after a year the first HI has not charred yet].

The resistor removes extremely easy for replacement, and no soldering is needed.

The airflow does NOT touch where the wood is-- it is drawn within the heat island unit itself and then up the tube. This eliminates this worry about charring/old wood contaminating the airflow.

The big, BIG BIG drawback of the HI? The waiting list. So many recognize how good it is that the list is approaching a one year wait.

So if you don't want to wait, go for the underdog or the rockzap.

HoneyAir,

GyzziD

Usually I'm a very diligent read the thread before asking kind of person but I didn't have that kind of time and am happy to see a fast response. I have been dry for a while and my purple days has been sitting on the shelf for a while with the broken cord. I am meeting a buddy with some home grown goodness in a couple hours and had work to do so I just asked instead. Thanks for helping!

I love my purple days, it's been on for almost a year and a half pretty much non-stop and doesn't seem charred at all yet. Just that stupid cord broke, this time I went with one with a 90 degree bend instead to hopefully take some of the stress off. I do plan on replacing it but am not sure what I want just yet. I like the look of the EQ a lot but ... I'm not quite in the market just yet. I'd never heard of the HI before now, I'll have to take a peek at that, sounds pretty interesting. I just love the simplicity of this one, there's no settings to mess with, pretty hard not to use it correctly and it looks nice and inconsipuous to non vaporist eyes if I leave it out. I don't like the 30 min warm up, but like I said before, it's on almost all the time, just waiting for me if I want to use it.

Thanks again, I've been poking my head in here for about a year and a half, just before I bought my purple days actually and just never needed to say/ask anything until now. I don't need another forum to be an active member of right now. :(

Thanks again, awesome community here!

GyzziD,

HoneyAir

I love the community here as well!

My resistor in the PD snapped in half (not sure if its age, mechanical stress from the rattling unit, or both) and so I had to hack into the bottom to break the glue seal around the wooden plug to work on it and replace the resistor. I posted it in this thread with pics.

I used some screws to hold the unit in place to stop the rattle, but there is an easier option from the owner of the rockzap who sells extra snap-rings that can be placed into the top to push the unit down more securely in place.

After my powersupply fried from my resistor shorting out (before I had stabilized the rattle in my unit) I bought a cheap 12VDC powersupply from amazon that had a powerlight on it (so I know its working at a visual glance) and it shuts off if it detects a short so its more idiotproof. :)

So far my PD is still running just as well as before.... so I'm happy with my decision to repair my unit. I did buy a few resistors so I can always repair it again if needed. It'll always be my backup unit once I'm able to get my new vape. :)

Edit/Added:

Was just reviewing the Underdog and Zap threads and I'm way behind in the news-- the Zap has been made a casualty of the drug war :( So that is not an option...

HoneyAir,

illnasty

I managed to make it this far in taking apart my PD; however, while trying to remove the charger port I broke the metal contact piece inside the port. I still don't know how to remove this port, either. Please help!

jka1M.jpg

illnasty,

HoneyAir

Illnasty,

As far as I know there was no need to remove that port. It is a threaded port that unscrews counterclockwise HOWEVER it is glued into place making it very hard to remove that way.

You could have left that port in place and unsoldered the wire going to it. If it seems broken at this point you can grab one at Radio Shack or online somewhere.

Opening up the bottom allows you to unscrew the wires so you can unsolder them and disconnect the resistor. The resistor exits from the top of the PD though, so...

You want to use a snapring pilers (I had to buy one since I didn't have one) to remove the rings on the top of the PD. You then want to slide the PD unit straight up and out of the PD. However, the top hole may have shrunk in size making it hard to remove the unit through it, so be ready to widen that hole a bit to allow it to slide out.

Good luck!

BTW, the resistors can be bought here;

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70023233

HoneyAir,

illnasty

Thanks HoneyAir, that makes sense now. I assumed it would have been easier to remove the unit from the bottom, but your advice makes it much less complicated.

My resistors came in today and the power supply should arrive next week.

I can't wait to vape again!

illnasty,

zik

So I was redoing the wiring on my PD tonight and had to give up after breaking the power jack. I have been trying to look online for a 'bulkhead power jack' without too much luck. I am not sure what specs im looking for.

Another question : what do you use for the internal wiring? i picked up a spool of copper but the gauge is a little heavier than the old wiring, if im careful with my solder, it should not be too much of an issue though i think.

And where can i get more stems? or is there a way to replace the stainless steel end of the vapor stem? I ruined mine with pliers trying to dismantle for cleaning >.<

zik,

Tweek

As much as I love my PD, I have just retired it. I was also finding it was getting quite hot over the last little while. My heat exchanger rattles, but no obvious sign of charring yet. I do find the herb tastes alot hotter and harsher than it used to. This was one of my first vapes, so I will always have a special place for it.

Tweek,

HoneyAir

By the power jack do you mean the part that plugs into the PD, or the part that plugs into the wall? If it is the part that plugs into the PD, someone posted in this thread earlier several times a link to where you can simply screw in the wires to that jack instead of having to solder/resolder. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2-1x5...ables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item337a558cdf . If you don't want to buy 10 pieces you can probably look around for anything with the same stats and see if its sold by the piece instead.

If you're looking for a new power plug, any 12VDC or 12VAC adapter that can handle at least 1000 mA or higher will work just fine.

I reused the old wiring in the PD because it hadn't broken yet, but any wiring should work as long as its stiff enough to stay in place and not bend in such a way that it would continually short out the power connection.

As for stems I'm not sure... Rick from Aromazap would have been able to make those but he got steamrolled by a corrupt government entity... the Underdog uses bigger stems than the PD. Hopefully someone who knows better can chime in.

HoneyAir,

Sadhu

I've been using the PD on a daily basis for almost 2 1/2 years. I love my PD and it has served me well. It is great for traveling I purchased a little case that holds the log and the power cord. I've used it in the car when traveling by auto and taken it with me when I travel by air too. Plus it has saved me a lot of money over the years because it is so efficient.

Monday afternoon I plugged my PD into the electric socket and about an hour later sat down with a straw loaded with Blue Dream only to find no heat. What a bummer, I felt so bad, almost panic stricken. I am hoping it is just the power supply and I have ordered another one from Jameco. I was expecting the power supply to arrive today, but I got a phone call from Jameco and they screwed up the order. I hope to have it by Friday now.

What do I do if its not the power supply? I can't go back to combustion in my bong. I'm on the waiting list for a HI log, but I think I still have a couple months to go before I reach the top of the list.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something to fill in if my PD bit the dust?

Sadhu,

Gunky

+1 on keeping a VG around for power outage, camping, etc. I have a glass VG that I like a lot. It gives humongous hits. If you look around your house you may find a 12v ac or dc transformer which would work to test the PD.

Gunky,

placetime

+1 on keeping a VG around for power outage, camping, etc. I have a glass VG that I like a lot. It gives humongous hits. If you look around your house you may find a 12v ac or dc transformer which would work to test the PD.
That's another good tip, Gunky. IME, wireless routers often have a regulated 12v power supply that'll at least work for testing if a log is broken (though they don't usually put out enough juice to fully heat up a log to the best temps, like a stock Jameco unregulated power supply does). There's a bit more info about power supplies here: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/regulated-vs-unregulated-power-supplies-for-log-vapes.4918

placetime,
Reactions: Sadhu
Top Bottom