Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

OF

Hey!
Hate to add on the list of PD problems, but I believe mine might just be the power chord. When plugged into the wall and the PD, the big wall charger area gets warm but the PD does not. Is this what happens when the power source is broken? does anyone have the link to a power source seller on hand?

Yes, that is a common failure mode. But it can also be the unit. Does the power supply get hot without the PD plugged into it (it should get no more than a little warm)? Does the PD work normally on the car cord?

The power supply is a Jameco product number 10081 (or so this one says...). Jameco Electronics, on the web.

OF

OF,

photokographer

ah you guys rule.

I'm dropping today, so beautiful out now, but will report back later with answers and hopefully it will just be the power chord (I'm near positive it is)

photokographer,

djonkoman

^that plug looks like it would be perfect of the break is very close to the plug, wich is most likely since that part usually gets moved/stressed most

djonkoman,
Reactions: HoneyAir

OF

How do you know when a transformer is shot though? Because won't it slowly lose heat over time?

The two common modes are overheating (generally a shored turn or excessive 'iron losses', that is magnetic issues in the core) and flat out failure (opens) that provide zero output. No 'half way to zero' failures.

If it's running cooler, I'd look to the unit, not the supply.

OF

OF,

photokographer

The big part that plugs into the wall gets warm (not hot though) but it doesnt make the vape warm
I'm betting its the transformer, will order some and report back!

Ah, such an interesting day. I know you guys can enjoy a little psychadelia here and there. Interesting acid-drop with ego-softening but absolutely no visuals. Really interesting

photokographer,

Wilson!

a box of parts. please help! i got my Pandora right when the shingle came down. moved to south america. luggage was robbed including all my data disks including how to assemble. the parts were in a bag that was not robbed. can anyone help copy/stream the directions to me?

Wilson!,

djonkoman

it is doable without instructions, I also put one togwther without the instructions. you can find some things in the pandora-thread, and tom's youtubeaccount still exists(I think it's called purple-days), the instructions on cennecting the wire to the resistor are on there and yuou can deduct some things from the other vids.
and you can always ask if you can't find something

djonkoman,

graywulf

My replacement PD failed (after the first one), but Purple-Days is out of businesses. I'm still within the 3 year warranty window, but I'm guessing since they're out of business they won't be able to honor it.
This is how I'm feeling right now.
:cuss::spidey::bang:

graywulf,

lwien

Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest?

So..........a bit of advice. Rather than doing a dump, which you just did, how 'bout going over to the Purple Days thread and posting up what specifically is wrong with your vape so that the kind members here can help you with your problem and guide you in the right direction so that you can again enjoy what the PD has to offer.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
One of the other "log" vape makers - forgot which one - has offered to provide repair service on PD's. It's somewhere in the PD thread - check it out. If it ends up costing you a few dollars to have your PD repaired that should be your worst problem in life...

jeffp,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Assume you've tried another power cord?? Most times that is what actually fails. Fingers crossed for you.

Lo,

max

Out to lunch
Assume you've tried another power cord?? Most times that is what actually fails. Fingers crossed for you.
That skinny little power cord gets bent back and forth so many times right behind he strain relief, and the wires are so small, that a break is inevitable, sooner or later. It's probably the issue 99% of the time, and only a $10 part (#10081 from Jameco Electronics) or even a cheaper repair if you can DIY with a soldering iron.

max,

ted

Mine has worked flawlessly after I attached the end from the car adapter to my broken transformer. Works so well I havent even opened my replacement from Jameco that arrived weeks ago.

How do you guys apply buzzbutter - do you do it when unit is warm? Do you heat the buzzbutter up first? I have been using a muslin cloth, is that ok?

ted,

OF

Mine has worked flawlessly after I attached the end from the car adapter to my broken transformer. Works so well I havent even opened my replacement from Jameco that arrived weeks ago.

How do you guys apply buzzbutter - do you do it when unit is warm? Do you heat the buzzbutter up first? I have been using a muslin cloth, is that ok?

I do it warm, and with a little bit at a time by fingertips. Well more often thumb.

OF

OF,

graywulf

The first unit became intermittent in outputting proper temperature. I replaced the transformer (12v 1A) which returned the PD to working condition for some time (months). The original failure symptoms returned --- unit would not function even with the new transformer.

Second unit arrived and has worked a little over 1 year. It displayed similar symptoms to the first unit and eventually would not heat up at all. I again replaced the transformer, however this time the specs were 12v and 1.5A --- no 12v 1A outputs at Radioshack.

This time around I also bought a replacement tip so I could test the old transformer with a new tip and the new transformer with the old tip. Note the white plastic that houses the old tip has oxidized and yellowed.

Results:
Old transformer w/ old tip = Hot, but not hot enough.
Old transformer w/ new tip = Hot, but not hot enough.
New transformer w/ old tip = Testing now, will edit back.
New transformer w/ new tip = proper functioning however heat output is above ideal range (by about .5A I'm guessing). The bowl starts to blacken by the second hit, to put it into perspective.

TLDR;
I have had two units last a little over a year. I have used 3 transformers.
I'm debating whether to have the PD function sub-optimally because it's too hot, order a transformer to spec (12v 1A), or return the transformer and bide my time with my launch box.

graywulf,

djonkoman

sounds a lot like breakage in the powercord. with a break it will sometimes make a connection, sometimes not, hence your intermittent temp. when it doesn't heat up at al anymore the connection is broken entirely.
since replacing the adaptor fixes it, I would say it's pretty sure that it is in the powercord.
likely it's the part of the cord getting the most stress(most often bended), wich is often right after the plug, but could be different in your circumstances

is the same problem you often get with earphones for ipods(or other mp3-players), when you only hear musoc in one ear or the music is intermittent, and it comes back when you turn and twist the wire just right.

djonkoman,

HoneyAir

The repair went well, and I've been vaporizing without a hitch, but several things have happened since I've repaired my PD.

The original Jameco power supply which I had noted was running pretty high at 14v-15v died at the transformer [no more voltage from it]. I figured the previous high voltage reading was an indicator that it was about to give out, but I also noted that it died when I tripped on the power cord and send the PD flying to the floor.

Today I noticed my PD was hotter than normal, and when it combusted a bowl I decided to open it up and check. Didn't notice anything obviously wrong, so I closed it up and used two screws instead of one so that it would not be jammed against one side but centered in the middle [presuming that it would help it run cooler enough to not combust].

Smelled something funny a couple minutes after plugging it in, and found my replacement power pack was heating up and starting to bubble inside. I wondered if it was failing and caused the overheating/combustion [its a very old AC adapter I had lying around from an old item] so I decided to try another old AC adapter I had.

Bad mistake, for I killed that one as well. It turns out that because the PD doesnt use plastic insulation in its wires [to avoid inhaling plastic], it is at risk of shorting out the circuit.

What I figure happened is that the bottom of the PD is drying out as well, so the metal piece has been slipping lower and lower, and it went low enough to cause a short circuit.

LESSON LEARNED: After working on the PD, check the connection on the PD with a MULTIMETER, checking for OHMS. If it is around 20 ohms, it is okay, if it shows zero ohms, it is a short circuit.

If anyone out there has a PD that is rattling around, I strongly suggest unplugging it, using screws on the inside to stabilize the piece so it no longer rattles around, check the connection with a multimeter to make sure there are no shorts, then replug it. It is possible some peoples AC adapters are being fried or damaged if the PD rattles around and causes temporary short-circuits.

Extra odd item: The resistor I ordered is now 22 ohms, not 20. The other 2 I had ordered are still at 20, so I decided to replace my 22 ohm resistor to get it back to 20... I'll keep an eye on this and see if it also 'wears out' as it gets older [I can merely test it with the multimeter without having to open the PD].

HoneyAir,
Reactions: WatTyler

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
The difference in resistance is normal with these elements I guess. I have a 22ohm resistance in my UD as well (same heating element, they are used in most if not all log-vapes), but I've heard they come as low as 18 ohm as well. I just add another volt or so to compromise for this, but it did make my UD run way too cool at first.

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

yes if you look at some sites where they sell those resistors, most or all have a 5% tolerance, so could vary between 19 and 21 ohms
but apparently they vary a bit more than that in some cases

I've made the same mistake with a short circuit, I tried a different adaptor, one of a lavalamp, destroyed thaty one since it apparently has short circuit safety measures, and another adaptor from dea;extreme obviously had not since it made a weird noise at first, then it started spewing sparks(out of the adaptor itself)
in my case it was because while putting it back together I accident;y turned the heat exchanger a bit, making the wires under the resistor cross eachother

djonkoman,

jeremy

I just wrote out a huge in depth step-by-step repair of this unit. But then my toe accidentally hit the power button on my computer's power surge strip. I'm gonna smoke from this Frankenstein PD I have sitting next to me, finish the operation tomorrow (I need solder) and then hopefully update with pics. I'm just really frustrated right now. Cheers guys.

jeremy,

friedricey

being human
My PD has a slight rattle. Do I need to take it apart and try to secure the unit to stop the rattle and thereby stopping the possibility of a circuit breaking?

friedricey,
Top Bottom