Gear Purging container

Darb

What is everybody using for a vacuum purge container?
I have a vacuum pump already but I'm looking for a container that won't break?
What about sealing the hose from the pump to container? Just a rubber o-ring?

I haven't been purging anything and it seems fine after just a hot water bath.
Do you guys notice any difference in the final product after purging?
I'm going to do it anyways for health reasons. Just wondering if it will change the texture or anything?

Darb,

High Sigh

SG addict
Just get a nice dessicator off of amazon. I think mine was like 40 bucks for a BelArt. Use teflon tape to make airtight seals. What kinda pump you got? Do a nice low and slow hot water bath then vac it a couple times and you should be good.

High Sigh,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I've been experimenting with the brake fluid container that came with the hand pump I bought. A bit like this:
images
images

It's essentially a plastic jar with a lid with 2 holes - one for the vacuum pump and one for the brake fluid. Designed to work under a vacuum so it works fine and holds a seal- I just bung up the fluid opening with a wad of blu-tack, friction fit the vacuum hose to the other opening, insert BHO (on baking paper) and fasten lid, then pump away. My hand pump only gets to about -23"hg, but that seems to be plenty. There's been no change in consistency in my oil, although it will harden all bubbly, pitted and pock marked if you leave it to cool under vacuum. I remelt it into a dish after.

To be honest though I'm finding that it's not really a necessary step IME. I believe that I can get all of the butane out for less effort through my heat purge- although all of my runs have been small (under 5g oil). It seems that you can keep pulling bubbles out of the oil under the vacuum till the cows come home, but I don't think that they're butane.

WatTyler,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I use a thick 1 liter clamp down bell canning jar that I've put clear shipping tape all around (just in case), as my hand pump can pull -30 with some cramping, lol. And I'll usually pull 5 5minute vacs after I've finished the initial warm water bath purge.

I prefer to do long warm water bath purging after the spray as opposed to shorter higher heat bath purges. I find my concentrate stays lighter in color, and with the vac purge I don't alter the taste as much as higher heat will.

smokum,
Top Bottom