Punctuation and grammar on FC

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
It really depends on mood for me....sometimes (and places) I feel like being a little bit more proper or formal and I'll use punctuation and proper spelling. If I'm in a careless mood, I won't capitalize my letters but I will always use proper punctuation as far as periods, commas, quotes, parens, etc.

Just depends I guess. Honestly, typing is like internet talk. One of the first ways humans judge one another is by sound (IE speech, voice, language) and if someone does not speak correctly (IE ask all those kids in speech therapy) we tend to think of it as a 'bad first impression'. So, when I see someone who types with excess punctuation, no sentence structure, lots of internet slang, or other things of that nature, I tend to judge them more 'immature'. Not on purpose...its just my nature. The way you type is the way that your are represented on the forums. Its really all we have to identify people by other then a name. Or what vapes they own...lol...

finchrock24,

fidget

lwien said:
Didn't realize that being condescending and having a sense of humor were mutually exclusive.

Hope that didn't sound too.............condescending. ;)

I don't think they are lwien.
Not sure where you'd get that impression from.
Certainly not from my post.
It's all very well and good being grammatically correct but what good does it do when you fail Comprehension 101?

fidget,

Qbit

cannabanana
Yeah, here's another appropriate image:

Nazi.jpg

Mind you, I've been surrounded by them. My mother was a journalist, my grandfather a journalist and novelist, one sister is a book editor, and my other sister partner is a scriptwriter. :rolleyes: My editor sister in particular likes to goose-step around town correcting erroneous apostrophes in shop window signage (well almost).

Qbit,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Qbit said:
My editor sister in particular likes to goose-step around town correcting erroneous apostrophes in shop window signage

I think I'm in love.

pakalolo,

lwien

fidget said:
lwien said:
Didn't realize that being condescending and having a sense of humor were mutually exclusive.

It's all very well and good being grammatically correct but what good does it do when you fail Comprehension 101?

Yeah. Comprehension isn't one of my strong suits. I do much better with condescending humor. ;)

Vapor is a funny thing. Sometimes it can bring you crystal clarity and at other times it becomes a fog machine. Apologize if I misread your post.

lwien,

Mckdenton

lwien said:
Vapor is a funny thing. Sometimes it can bring you crystal clarity and at other times it becomes a fog machine.
So very true Mr. lwein.

Mckdenton,

fidget

lwien said:
fidget said:
lwien said:

Yeah. Comprehension isn't one of my strong suits. I do much better with condescending humor. ;)

Vapor is a funny thing. Sometimes it can bring you crystal clarity and at other times it becomes a fog machine. Apologize if I misread your post.

No problem lwien :)
I have a real love of language but all too often choose to use it for evil.:)

fidget,

2clicker

Observer
finchrock24 said:
One of the first ways humans judge one another is by sound (IE speech, voice, language) and if someone does not speak correctly we tend to think of it as a 'bad first impression'

totally and i fall victim to it as well, but that doesnt make it ok

language is constantly evolving so whos to say what is "proper" and what isnt?

its all subjective

people can judge me by my lack of period usage if they want, but it wont give them an accurate idea of who i am at all

its not laziness that causes my "bad" punctuation... im hardly a lazy person. i just choose sometimes to be different and thats ok i think.

and i mispell werds aun perpose... that should surely be proof that im not as educated as others on here :ko:

2clicker,

Qbit

cannabanana
Yeah I think the greatest irritation in forum posts is when they're just single, massive paragraphs. If you don't have a break every few lines it makes it really tough to see which line follows on from the end of the one you just finished. It really messes with the flow of reading.

Qbit,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
I don't mind some slang or the occasional grammatical, syntax, or spelling error here and there, but this typing like you are texting bullshit has got to go. I can't appreciate contributions that I can't even comprehend.

It's very difficult to read and understand nd imnsho it mks u lok lik a dmbass.

herbgirl,

stinkmeaner

Do you think more people that have posted in this thread proofread more than usual because this thread specifically relates to grammar?

Well, besides 2clicker & OO of course. :lol:

stinkmeaner,

crawdad

floatin
as in real life how you say something matters almost as much as what you say. if misspellings or grammar issues are done (intentionally or not) excessively it can distract from the actual discussion and in that case it probably deserves to be corrected. same can be true for attitude. :2c:

the biggest hurdle in being part of an online community is learning the acronyms, i can overlook the rest easy enough but i know that is not how everyone is. :peace:

crawdad,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
crawdad said:
as in real life how you say something matters almost as much as what you say. if misspellings or grammar issues are done (intentionally or not) in that case it probably deserves to be corrected.

Agreed, and capitalization should also be used. ;)

grammar-police.png

Vicki,

lwien

Vicki said:
crawdad said:
as in real life how you say something matters almost as much as what you say. if misspellings or grammar issues are done (intentionally or not) in that case it probably deserves to be corrected.

Agreed, and capitalization should also be used. ;)

Along with some comma's here and there.

lwien,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
as in real life how you say something matters almost as much as what you say.

IMO this is a result of arrogance

why does it matter? does it REALLY portray who the person speaking is? just by how they say something? IMO it does not. i say things all the time in a manor that i normally would not. and i do it just for fun. and that is ok.

to me it sounds like people who are "proper" are better than those who arent. and the idea behind "proper" grammar and such is just that... an idea. we made it all up.

not to mention that you are a product of your environment so those that grow up in environments that use alot of slang are likely going to use alot of slang. that does not mean that it is wrong.

language is always evolving. get with the times or get left behind.

and Vicki,

your welcome!

Mod note: It wasn't necessary to apply a derogatory label-arrogant-to another member, in order to make your point. Please remember the #1 rule- 'be nice'. All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner.

*Note to mod* i didnt mean to directly say that poster was being arrogant on purpose, but it does happen to the best of us sometimes. happens to me as well. i have been arrogant plenty of times in my day w/out knowing it. i was not trying to name call... just explain myself.

my apologies to crawdad

2clicker,

lwien

2clicker said:
why does it matter? does it REALLY portray who the person speaking is? just by how they say something? IMO it does not.

There was a great line in the movie, Schindler's List: "It's all in the presentation".

We are all judged by what we do and how we do it. You can rebel against that concept all you want, but it doesn't change what is basically a truism.

When you say that " i say things all the time in a manor that i normally would not. and i do it just for fun. and that is ok." and you don't use caps correctly, and you misspell manner, and then you say that you do it just for fun, it reminds me of a person who is an avid 3 pack a day cigarette smoker who states that he/she is not addicted and could quit anytime they wish but the reason that they don't quit is just because they don't want to.

lwien,

crawdad

floatin
i quit capitalizing a long time ago as i type quite a bit (computer job, technical) and the extra strokes took time since im used to coding and use it seldom...its probably not a big deal, but now habit.

*how* you say something and *what* you say (my point you label as arrogance) is understood when you take a heating discussion between spouses, i know from experience that if i keep my attitude in check and express myself in a considerate fashion then my message is more likely to be delivered, even if im complaining to her about how she is a bitch (rarely works but a valid point i think).

so, *how* you type and *what* you type are both important to convey a message, but i wouldn't say its equally as such. that is all. im more referring to the excessive use of chat'crynoms (sp??? LOL), run on sentences, deliberate misspellings while still phonetically accurate, etc. i can read it all and have no issues with it, however some will read it and get distracted and that is when the discussion diverts prematurely.

no worries, i feel you misunderstood me but perhaps we just don't agree...i can live with that. thanks for following up.

crawdad,

2clicker

Observer
lwien said:
2clicker said:
why does it matter? does it REALLY portray who the person speaking is? just by how they say something? IMO it does not.
you don't use caps correctly, and you misspell manner, and then you say that you do it just for fun, it reminds me of a person who is an avid 3 pack a day cigarette smoker who states that he/she is not addicted and could quit anytime they wish but the reason that they don't quit is just because they don't want to.

that is one heck of a run-on sentence you got there!:D

but for real... your saying that nature is the cause of our judging others on their punctuation and grammar? i know we are all judging others by our actions and words but that doesnt make it ok.

i dont use caps on purpose. does that make me any less intelligent and anyone else on here? i dont think so. it just means that i choose not to use caps. if someone chooses to think any less of me for that then that is their loss.

i do misspell things sometimes and dont correct them on purpose. or sometimes they just slip by (like manor/manner) and that is ok. does that mean im lazy? or just in a hurry...?

we have an incredible level of sophistication on this board, but sometimes i think some take this as an "intellectual community" a little too serially.

serially is a south park reference that means "seriously" btw (btw means "by the way" by the way) ;)

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
no worries, i feel you misunderstood me but perhaps we just don't agree...i can live with that. thanks for following up.

i did indeed

sorry mang

2clicker,

Beezleb

I dont care about punctuation and the like but when people write in a big block or with lots of some type of slang I simply dont read it.

It could have the meaning of life in it but if you do not write effective it is in essence worthless to your goal. Nothing else really matters for my :2c:

All in all, depends on context really and who your audience is.

Beezleb,

lwien

The answers to the following questions may help clear the air here a bit.

What is the reason for punctuation?
What is the reason for using capitalization?
What is the reason for rules regarding grammer and spelling?

lwien,

2clicker

Observer
lwien said:

to make people feel smart...? :lol: :cool:

Beezleb said:
All in all, depends on context really and who your audience is.

very good point

2clicker,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
2clicker said:
lwien said:

to make people feel smart...? :lol: :cool:

Or, rather, that they feel educated? :)

Vicki,
Top Bottom