Punctuation and grammar on FC

Anyone notice that the people on this forum seem more literate than your average smoke forum, or really most forums?

I just was just looking at old posts in the Vaporgenie forum going, "Hm."

charliedontsurf,

lwien

That's because smoking kills brain cells and vapor creates them, silly wabbit. :/

lwien,

OO

Technical Skeptical
lwien said:
That's because smoking kills brain cells and vapor creates them, silly wabbit. :/
affbe248cdfa7947f443bacba12e154f.jpg

i know i sure as hell don't use capitals.
but punctuation and grammar are some of my strong points.
i sure as hell don't pronounce words the same as you guys.

it is strange for me to use the phrase "sure as hell".

cause i'm not too sure it exists.

OO,

stinkmeaner

I agree that regular posters collectively have a grasp on grammar and spelling. I do, however, have a pet peeve which seems to be a trend on any message board, too many abbreviations for common words, vaporizers I can understand although I do try to type them out at least once in a post just so new members can follow along, but it really looks silly when people abbreviate every other word.

Something in which happens to me all of the time with the message boards you sometimes can't avoid looking like an idiot when you make some grammar or spelling errors and then someone quotes you.

stinkmeaner,

OO

Technical Skeptical
stinkmeaner said:
Something in which happens to me all of the time with the message boards you sometimes can't avoid looking like an idiot when you make some grammar or spelling errors and then someone quotes you.
don't get so vaked before posting.

OO,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I get impatient typing, but try to maintain an acceptable level of grammar. It's one of those things that if you don't practice everyday you'll never get better at, and it's kinda important. :)

aesthyrian,

toxicc

E11001420
Me, having good grammar in general, I find it so annoying how much educated people have poor writing skills. How can you not remember basic grammar that you learnt in primary school and that your teachers repeated multiple times every year until the end of high school, and even more if you have an higher education. I'm french, and far from being perfectly bilingual, but i still write better in english than a lot of english speaking people. I agree tho that people here on FC have excellent writing skills, a lot better than on most other forums. I think that the more people are open minded, the better they are with writing skills, wich is probably related in some way with an higher IQ. People here are open minded, if they weren't they would not be interested in vaporizers and would stick to combustion. That probably explains why there is random people joining the the FC chatroom just to bash vaporizing with a single sentence containing only 3 or 4 words, something that we don't do on their chatroom, showing our general higher QI as open minded people.

toxicc,

2clicker

Observer
i think its hilarious when people get all worked up about punctuation and grammar on forums (not saying that is what is happening here). people will start insulting others because of it. people need to get over themselves sometimes.
grammar-police.png

as far as im concerned who cares what letters or keystrokes were used as long as you can read and understand it... ? that is what is important. getting the info across so that its understood. end of story.

besides run-on sentences are our friends! ;)

2clicker,

lwien

Here's my take on it.

Two points.

One, is that I was raised to believe that if I was going to do something, that I should do it right, and do it to the best of my ability, and that if I wasn't committed to doing that, I shouldn't do it at all.

Secondly, my feeling is that if I am going to spend time here and communicate in a way so that I can get my point across as well as garner a bit of respect in order to add credence to my posts, than I should also, do it right, and do it to the best of my ability.

IMHO, anything less is an exercise in laziness.

lwien,

Beezleb

If I have to think to translate it. I dont.

Its not really about grammer and whatnot but that you have true vapist for the most part that are active talking about vapor which for many ranges from a neat hobby to medicine but people tend to be more focused on the subjects here and thus communication is typically more inline with that aspect.

Many other sites cater to a wider variety of weed users while we are more specialized by using vapor and I think that naturally filters out more of the youthful behaviorism. You have to search for us to pretty much find us where many people on other sites are just responding to "new posts" and not necessarily a normal part of that particular section of the larger forum.

Beezleb,

lwien

2clicker said:
lwien said:

you say that like its a bad thing

That's my point, I guess.

If one doesn't realize laziness as a negative trait, than the resulting actions become quite self-evident.

I guess it all boils down to how we were raised and with what set of values were deemed important and if we chose to carry those values into adulthood.

Is it a right or wrong issue? My take on it is to do what serves your purpose. If your purpose here is to communicate in a way that will be understood by most, than do what it takes to do that. If not, and you're here for some other reason, than do what you will.

Anyway, I don't want to alienate anyone here. Just throwing out my :2c: on this subject, for whatever it's worth.

lwien,

fidget

lwien said:
2clicker said:
lwien said:

you say that like its a bad thing

That's my point, I guess.

If one doesn't realize laziness as a negative trait, than the resulting actions become quite self-evident.

I guess it all boils down to how we were raised and with what set of values were deemed important and if we chose to carry those values into adulthood.

Is it a right or wrong issue? My take on it is to do what serves your purpose. If your purpose here is to communicate in a way that will be understood by most, than do what it takes to do that. If not, and you're here for some other reason, than do what you will.

Anyway, I don't want to alienate anyone here. Just throwing out my :2c: on this subject, for whatever it's worth.

Was becoming condescending a side effect of your sense of humour bypass?

fidget,

lwien

Didn't realize that being condescending and having a sense of humor were mutually exclusive.

Hope that didn't sound too.............condescending. ;)

lwien,

vapirtoo

The level of writing is very high. I didn't realize how good until Iwien
complimented a new young vaporist on their most excellent grammar.

My gramar :lol: is fine; I need an imbedded spell checker.

vapirtoo,

Pappy

shmaporist
I don't know about better grammar, but the maturity level on this board ranks close to the top of those I frequent. Maturity breeds self confidence so most members on FC don't feel a necessity for one-upsmanship or to score brownie points. That in itself differentiates it from most other boards.

Pappy,

vapirtoo

See? "differentiates" what a great word!
I would need a spell checker on that one. :lol:

vapirtoo,

stinkmeaner

2clicker said:
i think its hilarious when people get all worked up about punctuation and grammar on forums (not saying that is what is happening here). people will start insulting others because of it. people need to get over themselves sometimes.
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/Joshrothathan/grammar-police.png

as far as im concerned who cares what letters or keystrokes were used as long as you can read and understand it... ? that is what is important. getting the info across so that its understood. end of story.

besides run-on sentences are our friends! ;)

I for one feel grammar is important so that others don't have any trouble reading the posts, and another point is so people in other countries can read easier or translate easier since they might not speak fluent English, this is the largest herbal vaporizer forum in the world and we have many members from everywhere so when you use slang and poor grammar it can make it difficult for others to read.

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
Thought created language. Thought is shared by language and language gives reason its shape. I wouldn't mock someone who seems to believe language is important or even precious but this is a forum and the netiquette generally suggests we use tolerance on both sides...

Egzoset,
Top Bottom