PUFFiT portable

poonman

So is this thing a waste of money or what? I

Was that a rhetorical question ?
or
Did you really need help ?

If you really need help ,
The last post before yours was by OF on 08/24/13 .
That should tell you how popular this vape is ....not .

poonman,

cawshook

Solod out.
IMO, Puffit is an OK vape, kind of fun really, but it's no Launch Box.

They are two entirely different sorts of vapes. My advice is go with MFLB unless you've got a solid reason to favor Puffit.

OF
I already have the MFLB, just wondering if it was a better choice. Does it produce thick cloudy vapor? Is the heat setting accurate? Is it a pain in the ass to wait for it to cycle to get a big hit? Can you hit it while charging?

cawshook,

valence

Anyone know if the USB cable is proprietary or generic? My connector tip got stepped on and was wondering If it was just something I could pick up at monoprice.

valence,

OF

Anyone know if the USB cable is proprietary or generic? My connector tip got stepped on and was wondering If it was just something I could pick up at monoprice.

It's a normal "mini USB", I use the one I've used on my MP3 player since I got it.

OF

OF,
Reactions: valence

Shokunin

Hello, so I have owned the Puffit for quite some time now and have had some problems with the unit. First of all there is considerable buildup of oil and goop inside the silicone tubing which leads to severe clogging. Trying to clean the tube led to me puncturing the thing and I replaced the silicone tubing inside myself. (blah, warranty, blah)
Last night I still used it successfully, then came back home today, fully recharged it and when I press down on the cap on top to fire it up, nothing happens, no lights turn on, absolutely no sign of life or heat. So I am not sure what the problem is now. I can still reset it, the light itself works fine when charging it blinks green and the red light also works fine.
I assume the soldering is lose/broken or the contact on the 2 buttons under the cap is not working. So now I am trouble shooting again.
IMO the unit was not worth the money with all the problems I have had so far, and while I am very tempted to get the Arizer Solo at this point, I feel like I should have gone for that one to begin with instead of wasting money and time on the Puffit.
Albeit, when the Puffit did work, I was quite pleased the performance.

Last edited:
Shokunin,
Reactions: OF

OF

I assume the soldering is lose/broken or the contact on the 2 buttons under the cap is not working. So now I am trouble shooting again.

Albeit, when the Puffit did work, I was quite pleased the performance.

Bummer, I too have had to clean mine several times, including tube replacement. But I used it a lot to foul it that bad so it was OK with me. I did have mine stop like yours, it ended up being bud debris blocking the movement enough so one switch didn't 'make' (they both have to at once). Have you tried manually pushing the switches (like with toothpicks)?

OF

OF,

OF

Puffit 2 will be released soon.

That's welcome news, more options in the market for us to pick from is always a positive thing from our end.

I hope they address the dependance on the owners ability to 'read' red and green LEDs to run it (the most common form of color blindness). They know of the problem, let's hope they take it to heart.

OF

That's welcome news, more options in the market for us to pick from is always a positive thing from our end.

I hope they address the dependance on the owners ability to 'read' red and green LEDs to run it (the most common form of color blindness). They know of the problem, let's hope they take it to heart.

OF
Here is a little bit of info on it. It seems it is also for sale now at gotvape.com. I work in the same district as the owners. I want to like it but based on their previous products I am dubious. There certainly seems to be a few changes;

PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer Overview
The new PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer, by Discreet Vape, is the latest development in the PUFFiT series. Every PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer employs a 20% smaller size compared to its predecessor, the PUFFiT Classic! A high quality nickel plated copper filling chamber provides ultra conductivity when powered by the 2200 mAh rechargeable li-ion battery.
Quality Vapor production at multiple temperature levels is achieved in under 1 minute while the upgraded rechargeable li-ion battery allows for the PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer to be used anytime anywhere!
An industry first Haptic Feedback activation feature allows you to know exactly when the PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer has reached the desired temperature by emitting small vibrations during the heating cycle. This feature is perfect for those who participate in an active lifestyle because you can now operate the PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer with zero restrictions.
PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer Dual Application
The PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer is designed to Vaporize both dried blends and concentrated essential oils. A concentrate attachment is included, simply remove the screen on the bottom of the filling chamber and apply your concentrated essential oils to the sides of the chamber, then place the attachment inside the chamber to prevent any runoff.
PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer Enhancements
Addressing consumer needs, an upgraded, swappable, li-ion battery provides double the run time compared to its predecessor. A new modular design allows for you to purchase an additional battery to add even more continuous use!
The PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer is able to Vaporize a wide range of dried blends at multiple temperature levels in a quick manner. Patrons can choose to Vaporize their blends between 320 to 415 degrees Fahrenheit (Levels 1-4 on the heat indicator).
During our testing process, we recommend using the PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer between Levels 3-4 for optimal Vapor quality. The average warm up time is only 30-45 seconds. Optional accessories that can be purchase for a nominal fee include a quick charge wall charger, e-juice attachment, and turbo concentrate attachment.
PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer Automatic Shut Off
A 3-minute automatic shut off safety feature is built into the PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer in order to conserve the battery life and prevent the unit from overheating. You can also shut down the heating cycle by pressing the top cap of the battery down 3 or 4 times in rapid manner.
PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer Battery Life Indicator
The PUFFiT 2 Portable Vaporizer battery indicator function allows you to see the amount of battery life that is available. To activate this feature, press down on the power button for 3 seconds. A Red LED Light indicates that the amount of battery life remaining by showing 1-4 bars

Mr. Gweilo 420,

Shokunin

Have you tried manually pushing the switches (like with toothpicks)?

OF

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately, I have tried applying pressure on both buttons simultaneously with my finger nails. Might give it another shot tomorrow XD I know the damn thing inside out now especially after replacing the tubing by hand a few weeks ago which required a great deal of patience, it was so fricking fiddly.

Also, I'm cautiously excited about the Puffit 2 :)

Shokunin,

OF

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately, I have tried applying pressure on both buttons simultaneously with my finger nails. Might give it another shot tomorrow XD I know the damn thing inside out now especially after replacing the tubing by hand a few weeks ago which required a great deal of patience, it was so fricking fiddly.

Also, I'm cautiously excited about the Puffit 2 :)

In my case I had to strip it down to clean it out. If you listen carefully you can hear the switches click over. It's extremely rare that switches in this class click properly mechanically and not work electrically. Still, noting will last forever.

I think replaceable battery, reduction in size (making it closer in size to a normal inhaler) and the vibration feature (which might cover my color issue?) are all steps forward. I think I'll hold back a bit, but could end up replacing mine if the reviews 'go right'.

Thanks again for the heads up.

OF

trueislander

Puffit 2 will be released soon.
They also have a forced air version dubbed the Puffit X. It's a small premium above the OG Puffit, but with how difficult it can be to draw through mine, I'm hoping that it will help things out in that department. I just wish they would release one with actual inhaler colors (Pale Yellow with Orange cap.)

trueislander,
I bought a PUFFiT as my first vape. Works great, I love it! But sometimes when I plug it in to charge, after leaving it overnight I wake up to see it's only got an orange light. What type of battery is it, and what type of voltage does it require? I really want to get the best out if this, but this charging issue is no fuckin good.

lookatmevapemum,

OF

I bought a PUFFiT as my first vape. Works great, I love it! But sometimes when I plug it in to charge, after leaving it overnight I wake up to see it's only got an orange light. What type of battery is it, and what type of voltage does it require? I really want to get the best out if this, but this charging issue is no fuckin good.

IIRC is a more or less standard 14500 Li-ion but it's soldered into the board (and not all that easy to get to anyway) so I don't see charging options other than using the built in charger. It needs to be charged by DC at a constant current (say something like .5 Amps) until the voltage reaches about 4.1 Volts.......not that I think you can change what's going on?

Good luck. I kinda like the little guy too. You might also consider a Solo, not as small, but more straightforward and for the most part problem free. IMO better tasting too (it's almost impossible to completely clean the PI, even if you replace the internal hose each time). Heavy use can quickly foul the PI, condensate jams the tiny tube inside eventually.

OF

IIRC is a more or less standard 14500 Li-ion but it's soldered into the board (and not all that easy to get to anyway) so I don't see charging options other than using the built in charger. It needs to be charged by DC at a constant current (say something like .5 Amps) until the voltage reaches about 4.1 Volts.......not that I think you can change what's going on?

Good luck. I kinda like the little guy too. You might also consider a Solo, not as small, but more straightforward and for the most part problem free. IMO better tasting too (it's almost impossible to completely clean the PI, even if you replace the internal hose each time). Heavy use can quickly foul the PI, condensate jams the tiny tube inside eventually.

OF

Thanks for that, I've been having trouble with it's battery. I've just checked it after leaving it plugged in for 2 days, and the light is orange. Do you have any idea of what's wrong with it (and if it's easily fixable?) Or should I take advantage of the rest of the 30 days I've still got in my 90 day warranty.

lookatmevapemum,

OF

Thanks for that, I've been having trouble with it's battery. I've just checked it after leaving it plugged in for 2 days, and the light is orange. Do you have any idea of what's wrong with it (and if it's easily fixable?) Or should I take advantage of the rest of the 30 days I've still got in my 90 day warranty.

How are you charging it? Charging is very marginal to start with, and even a tiny additional drop (loss) in voltage can be serious trouble. The rub is we want to charge to like 4.2 Volts, meaning we have only .8 Volts for 'headroom' to run the charge controller on. Marginal, at best. Normally you want a few volts. I had one 'USB charger' that was really 4.9 (actually a bit less) that didn't cut it (even though it did fine for other stuff). The USB port on my computer is slower than the 5 Volt, 2 Amp supply I usually use.

Extension cables can be the kiss of death here, too.

So I suggest trying another source and cable if you can?

If you can't sort it out, I suggest exchanging it while you can, it's not going to get better on it's own.

OF

OF,
How are you charging it? Charging is very marginal to start with, and even a tiny additional drop (loss) in voltage can be serious trouble. The rub is we want to charge to like 4.2 Volts, meaning we have only .8 Volts for 'headroom' to run the charge controller on. Marginal, at best. Normally you want a few volts. I had one 'USB charger' that was really 4.9 (actually a bit less) that didn't cut it (even though it did fine for other stuff). The USB port on my computer is slower than the 5 Volt, 2 Amp supply I usually use.

Extension cables can be the kiss of death here, too.

So I suggest trying another source and cable if you can?

If you can't sort it out, I suggest exchanging it while you can, it's not going to get better on it's own.

OF

I just tried switching from a cheap Blackberry wall wart thing to my MacBook Pro, and I think it's working better now.

Do you know anything that can give me the perfect voltage, for the perfect charge?

Thanks

lookatmevapemum,

OF

I just tried switching from a cheap Blackberry wall wart thing to my MacBook Pro, and I think it's working better now.

Do you know anything that can give me the perfect voltage, for the perfect charge?

Thanks

You're welcome. There's not really a 'perfect voltage' as much as 'plenty'? That is to say after you pass a point (seems between your two tests.....) you have enough to properly run the charging circuit. Any additional voltage (power) is simply dumped as heat up to the point where the circuit itself blows up. The failure comes from too much voltage, not too much power (causing heat accumulation) since the electronics are protected against the heat (they shut down automatically).

Since it's a USB system, I'd stick with normal USB levels.....just favor the high end since the charging margins are so small. My two Amp wall wort also probably has an advantage since it's designed to deliver a lot more current (again, power) than the little guy needs.

I would avoid the Blackberry one, as I'm sure you're planning.

Again, you should also question the USB cable, I had one that had truly tiny wires in it (cheap, even by Chinese cable standards), it drove me nuts until I finally found it. It worked OK extending my printer cable (which is why I 'borrowed' it), but when I used it charging it failed big time. My little MP3 player went nuts with it included. It would start to charge, tilt out, flash a bit, start to charge, tilt out.......

OF

OF,
You're welcome. There's not really a 'perfect voltage' as much as 'plenty'? That is to say after you pass a point (seems between your two tests.....) you have enough to properly run the charging circuit. Any additional voltage (power) is simply dumped as heat up to the point where the circuit itself blows up. The failure comes from too much voltage, not too much power (causing heat accumulation) since the electronics are protected against the heat (they shut down automatically).

Since it's a USB system, I'd stick with normal USB levels.....just favor the high end since the charging margins are so small. My two Amp wall wort also probably has an advantage since it's designed to deliver a lot more current (again, power) than the little guy needs.

I would avoid the Blackberry one, as I'm sure you're planning.

Again, you should also question the USB cable, I had one that had truly tiny wires in it (cheap, even by Chinese cable standards), it drove me nuts until I finally found it. It worked OK extending my printer cable (which is why I 'borrowed' it), but when I used it charging it failed big time. My little MP3 player went nuts with it included. It would start to charge, tilt out, flash a bit, start to charge, tilt out.......

OF

OF,

I switched the cable, like you suggested. Within minutes, my PUFFiT had a green light when I checked the charge! I'm looking for a wall wart with more Amperage now, as the one I was using previously outputted 5V at 750 mA; a little too little.

Thank you very much OF! I'm happy with my PUFFiT again.

lookatmevapemum,

OF

OF,

I switched the cable, like you suggested. Within minutes, my PUFFiT had a green light when I checked the charge! I'm looking for a wall wart with more Amperage now, as the one I was using previously outputted 5V at 750 mA; a little too little.

Thank you very much OF! I'm happy with my PUFFiT again.

Glad to hear it, thanks for passing the good word. If you 'got there' in a few minutes you were mighty close before, once you get the marginal gear out of the game you can continue to enjoy the little guy.

Best wishes.

OF

Top Bottom