PUFFiT portable

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
I'm sorry if this comes off as... odd... but well, then that's not good news, is it? ...
the mouthpiece looks like just a barb more or less pushon. Its the heating chamber I am concerned about. It could well be glued or fused. The tubing looks quite generic.

The area that I am more concerned about is the silicone ring around the chamber. Is right next to the heater so lots of heat. And it looks like it was molded/bonded directly around the heat chamber.

I am not hearing any input from others on odors. I kinda feel like it may be just my perception, I sure hate to rattle on so say the word, I will shush....maybe <grin>

BoxofRock,
Reactions: OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Boxo please don't hush since you are giving very valuable info. I sure hope Andrew addresses this. If this vape isn't as promised I will have to pick a new portable for travel for a one hitter.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
the mouthpiece looks like just a barb more or less pushon. Its the heating chamber I am concerned about. It could well be glued or fused. The tubing looks quite generic.

The area that I am more concerned about is the silicone ring around the chamber. Is right next to the heater so lots of heat. And it looks like it was molded/bonded directly around the heat chamber.

I am not hearing any input from others on odors. I kinda feel like it may be just my perception, I sure hate to rattle on so say the word, I will shush....maybe <grin>
Rattle till you find it, you might be right and save a good amount of people here the trouble. I read a page or two back that the silicone ring is fine? Is that the part that wasn't cured right and was giving people the bad taste, or was that the actual silicone tubing inside?

Quetzalcoatl,

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
you cannot use it while charging and you probibly have a 50% chance of a wall charger. I didnt get one but quite a few did.
fresh out of crap thou :p

edit for nightly update<g>
I took the puffit apart and it indeed has a long vapor tube. I order vapor whips 20 foot at a time for the AroMed so all I need to do is measure it up and replace. Is Andrew still out there? Save me the hassle and roll out the size specs on the vapor tube :nod:

I have pics but stuck without the means right now. Is it within the rules to post pics of the guts of a puffit?

6or7 bowls (I lost count) and the plastic still stings my throat - one cycle as a preheat and 10 cycles drawing vape...3 half decent and the rest just to bugger it out with ABV a nice browning with one stiring/repack

To be honest I removed a few personal comments from the above nightly update. I really do not want to throw stones I just want something clean. If there are ideas I would really like to read them

So we really 100% think is the Tube causing the bad taste to your just trying to rule it out..

And I wonder since Dogman said it went away after a bit.. Maybe some people more sensitive to it then others..

Odd to me the Vendor has not been on here addressing this questions(They have not been on her in a while actually which always makes me kind of nervous..)

Kuroth1,

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
I read a page or two back that the silicone ring is fine? Is that the part that wasn't cured right and was giving people the bad taste, or was that the actual silicone tubing inside?
From what I gathered Andrew said it was the tubing. I missed any reference to the silicone ring being pre cured in the mfg process. It would seem the tubing would have degassed by this time. A few times I left spent herb in and just kept drawing heat through.

I have a ritual to my mornings without it the day turns to crap. Sucks but I have learned not to fight my broken body. I will dive back into this later today and if I break it I will just figure I took one for the team.
So we really 100% think is the Tube causing the bad taste to your just trying to rule it out..

And I wonder since Dogman said it went away after a bit.. Maybe some people more sensitive to it then others..

Odd to me the Vendor has not been on here addressing this questions(They have not been on her in a while actually which always makes me kind of nervous..)
I am just trying to rule out the tubing. The unit is unuseable for my needs at this time so I have nothing to lose,, sept ~100dollars, which is alot for me

And yes I may well be more sensitive to the taste and thats why I said the shush part as I dont want to :horse:

So if I break it I will be scouting for another portable

BoxofRock,

OF

From what I gathered Andrew said it was the tubing. I missed any reference to the silicone ring being pre cured in the mfg process. It would seem the tubing would have degassed by this time.

I will dive back into this later today and if I break it I will just figure I took one for the team.

I am just trying to rule out the tubing. The unit is unuseable for my needs at this time so I have nothing to lose,, sept ~100dollars, which is alot for me

And yes I may well be more sensitive to the taste and thats why I said the shush part as I dont want to

So if I break it I will be scouting for another portable

First off, I applaud your attitude. No need to compromise if you're willing to search for a better answer.

Outgassing and sensitivity to it are very hard to quantify. If it's real for you, it's real for you and needs to be addressed. Heat driven outgassing (and I guess it all is in the end) is a diminishing deal, it never actually stops from a practical standpoint. It just gets 'low enough'. Don't apologize for your sensitivity, if it's honest, we can honestly accept it as a problem

I think the Silicone rubber near the heater could well be an issue. More so than the 'vapor path'. We vape at about 400F, 500F is max for the most part for these materials (some of them less). As whips and delivery tubes they generally never see more than slightly overheated vapor, mabye 425 at most? OTOH, since heat flows if the herb in the unit is at 400F, it's sure there's places inside that are hotter, perhaps a whole lot hotter. This could take us from 'outgassing due to curing' into decomposition.....a whole other can of worms. IMO this might be a poor materials selection (which is why you don't find any in your toaster oven.....).

Please do take a few pictures if you can and let us peek inside. Best of luck with it.

If it turns out that it is not going to 'make it' for you, I suggest you explore the TV line of products. Medical grade stuff, you can soak it in alcohol and boil it in water to get it squeaky clean. No plastic anywhere of any importance. Designed and built for folks concerned about that, because they too is us.

OF

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
puffit04.jpg

pretty light
puffit03.jpg

heat sensor?
puffit02.jpg

hint of buildup and sure is tight around the battery. The output from the heat chamber is angled toward or rather away from the battery
puffit01.jpg

battery capacity

the tube best I can tell is 1\4" 5mm OD and ID is maybe 3\16 and it looks like a push on connection both ends.
Nice micro switchs on the poweroff and chamber cap
there is a nice pic of the chamber on page 13

If it turns out that it is not going to 'make it' for you, I suggest you explore the TV line of products. Medical grade stuff, you can soak it in alcohol and boil it in water to get it squeaky clean. No plastic anywhere of any importance. Designed and built for folks concerned about that, because they too is us.

OF
I really think my AroMed has spoiled me. Thank you for the suggestion, I have got a bad feeling (taste in me mouth) that its never going to be clean enough. I am going to get new tubing soon as I can and go from there.

Glass on glass,, nothing finer <grin>

Jenny

VapeGirl
Damn that blue battery....wish it held more of a charged and charged more quickly!! I'm taking the puffit on a concert outing tonight, hopefully the battery withstands the time I'm there.

Jenny,

Puffit Vaporizer

Manufacturer
Hi Guys.
Sorry for the absence.
Been traveling and its tough to keep up while on the road. 7 new pages since last here..wow!
We are reading everything though so we'll try and keep answering question when we can.

Re: Plasticky taste.
I'm sorry folks are having troubles. It does seem to be a bit subjective and we may never be able to make everyone 100% happy but we are working on improving things.
We Have found a new silicone vendor and are ensuring ALL the silicone parts are post cured.
We have also increased our burn in time for our heating chambers prior to shipping to help eliminate any residue.

Re: Battery Charging rate and Capacity.

Full Charge from dead should take 2.5-3 hours. This is a function of the USB standard. There is a limit on the current we can draw from a standard USB port. (500mA) In order to Charge faster we would have to provide a matched AC adapter designed specifically to work with our unit. this of course would have raised the cost of the product.
As far as capacity is concerned you can see from BoxofRock's photos (I knew someone would get curious and do this at some point) it's pretty tight in there. We basically designed the unit around the biggest battery we could. We think we've managed to balance capacity vs size pretty well.

Re: Charge indicator.

It seems to be a little less accurate than hoped but it is a purely software approximation and was added late in the design cycle. Measuring battery capacity really accurately requires electronics hardware that is not in the design and would add expense.
We'll keep working on the algorithm though!

But as always. When In Doubt, Plug it in!

Re: Cleaning the Vapor path.

We chose a silicone tube specifically because it would resist build up. But If you feel you need to flush it out I would suggest an eye dropper or small syringe with a little Iso alcohol.
DO NOT just pour it into the heating chamber this can damage the electronics.
Also do not push anything such as a pipe cleaner down the tube this can dislodge the tube from its fittings and expose the internal electronics to the vapor.

Cheers
Andrew

Puffit Vaporizer,

VisiblyVaped

Sad panda here. Its official, its my problem and I am stuck with it
Sucks man, maybe itll go away for you or you can mod it.

Mines going to arrive Tuesday, on my birthday actually. Kind of excited, and im hoping its one of the units that has the "cured" tubing I read about

VisiblyVaped,

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
Sucks man, maybe itll go away for you or you can mod it.

Mines going to arrive Tuesday, on my birthday actually. Kind of excited, and im hoping its one of the units that has the "cured" tubing I read about
I really hope you like it. It really sounds like I am sensitive to it and I seem to be in a minority here. Wish you well and the puffit works well for you too

BoxofRock,

VisiblyVaped

I really hope you like it. It really sounds like I am sensitive to it and I seem to be in a minority here. Wish you well and the puffit works well for you too
Yea, sucks...but thanks man. The only vapes I had issues with were the og iolite and the TV1, so if this has a better draw I'll be good. It's new, innovative, why the hell not try it

VisiblyVaped,

Coastal

Observations:

Battery: Looks like that battery may be relatively easy to replace.
Tubing: If it needs to be cured, heat it in a toaster oven at a low temperature for a few hours. Melt temps below.
Unit: I'm considering baking the whole thing at 150 in a toaster oven for a few hours.

Melt temps: Vape temps around 400 there are some real close numbers here. Wonder exactly what is next to the heat?

Material Degrees(F) Material Degrees(F)
Acetal (CoPo) 400 PBT 500​
Acetal (HoPo) 425 PCT 580
Acrylic 425 Peek 720
Acrylic (Mod) 500 PET 540
ABS (MedImp) 400 Polycarbonate 550
ABS (HiImpFR) 420 Polyetherimide 700
CelAcetate 385 Polyethylene (LD) 325
CelButyrate 350 Polyethylene (HD) 400
CelPropionate 350 Polypropylene 350
EVA 350 Polystyrene (GP) 350
LCP 500 Polystyrene (MI) 380
Nylon (6) 500 Polystyrene (HI) 390
Nylon (6/6) 525 Polysulfone 700
Polyamide-imide 650 PPO 575
Polyarylate 700 PVC (Rig/Flex) 350/325
TFE 600

Coastal,

VisiblyVaped

Observations:

Battery: Looks like that battery may be relatively easy to replace.
Tubing: If it needs to be cured, heat it in a toaster oven at a low temperature for a few hours. Temps below.
Unit: I'm considering baking the whole thing at 150 in a toaster oven for a few hours.

Melt temps: So what is this thing made of anyways? With vape temps around 400 there are some real close numbers here.

Material Degrees(F) Material Degrees(F)
Acetal (CoPo) 400 PBT 500
Acetal (HoPo) 425 PCT 580
Acrylic 425 Peek 720
Acrylic (Mod) 500 PET 540
ABS (MedImp) 400 Polycarbonate 550
ABS (HiImpFR) 420 Polyetherimide 700
CelAcetate 385 Polyethylene (LD) 325
CelButyrate 350 Polyethylene (HD) 400
CelPropionate 350 Polypropylene 350
EVA 350 Polystyrene (GP) 350
LCP 500 Polystyrene (MI) 380
Nylon (6) 500 Polystyrene (HI) 390
Nylon (6/6) 525 Polysulfone 700
Polyamide-imide 650 PPO 575
Polyarylate 700 PVC (Rig/Flex) 350/325
TFE 600

Is it just me, or is something off here (not with the posting)?

I'm no scientist, i know nothing but I do want everything in order...

VisiblyVaped,

BoxofRock

as in dumb as
I almost forgot. The light was compact floresent with flash, way to much blue spectrum, before and after and the before has been ageing close to two years - not very green :D
eight cycles with the first three the only productive draws, five draws of plastic (hypersensitive crybaby) heheh
puffit05.jpg

the item around the heat chamber would peak my interest. Its been said its silicone and its a casted item. Pic of it on page 13
The tubing seems less likely although its getting replaced

BoxofRock,

Coastal

Hey BoxofRock was your battery dead after the 8 cycles?

The ABV doesn't look expended to me. That looks about half done. My LB gets it almost coffee brown before the taste goes away.

Coastal,

BoxofRock

as in dumb as

The ABV doesn't look expended to me. That looks about half done. My LB gets it almost coffee brown before the taste goes away.
No, battery still showed green on the power level but I charged it and it did charge close to two hours
And I really wanted to hit it some more but if you have been following my posts the taste just sucked
power level was at 7.5

the unit really should cycle though a few times before you will get full use of the battery. Right now I bet it would go 4 fills maybe more on a full charge.

BoxofRock,

OF

Sad panda here. Its official, its my problem and I am stuck with it

Bummer indeed, but I'm not sure you're SOL. This is the best 'medical tube' I know of:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=45870&catid=799

Unfortunately, this vendor has 50 foot minimums and at 400 F is right on the line. I've never used it in a vape application.

Otherwise, I have used this stuff (and it comes in 10 foot lengths):
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23884&catid=799

I'm thinking you might want to give the latter (at least) a try?

Good luck.

Battery:

http://www.fentbattery.com/Upload/LeSeno.Com_20111226152442772.pdf

Shows capability of rapid charge at 1-2 hours.

The battery used can most likely be charged more rapidly as well, but the charge circuit inside the unit limits the rate, not the battery, to stay inside the USB port abilities. The port, not the battery, is the limiting factor. But because of that, the charger won't charge faster even if more power is available....at least I think that's what we were just told.

Interesting that the puffit is on ebay already

Interesting indeed, while I'm not an Ebay fan, that's an alternative worth considering. Does anyone know if it still is going through GV? I assume so?

TIA

OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀

Really, am I doing something wrong? I thought that pile on the left was way done. When it is that brown I can start to taste ah yuck. Am I wasting product? Please point me in the direction of what to do with the big jar of ABV I have if it indeed has any more use.

Dreamerr,
Top Bottom