Discontinued Puffit 2

justcametomind

My order arrived, glass mating tool is awesome, the arty cover smells really really bad, :D and the e juice adapter is probably faulty since I can't see any vapor or notice any heating.
I messaged them and waiting for an answer.
I am quite satisfied with my P2 and hope they will soon make a P3 with better extraction but still no visible vapor and easier loading.

blackstone

Gee, i feel a little relief at reading the others with problems, but also a little sad and hope Discreet can overcome them.

I had the trouble with the usb battery socket first, so when I received a replacement battery I bought the quick charger to help avoid this. Then my Temp sensor failed once, twice and again three times the other night, as in, I am now on my second replacement oven module and it too has now failed, so am hoping to get a fourth oven to replace it. (have sent the video of me plugging in and out 3 modules in a row to prove 3 failures, and I must say, that's going to get lengthy if I have many more failures!)

I also noticed that they would throw a random error, clear itself, some begin to run noticeably hotter as with Shokunin above, then totally fail and do nothing except throw errors.
Two of my failed ovens don't heat, and throw errors. One of the failed ovens heats up a little and throws the error

All 8 buzz flashing LED4 temperature sensor errors.

I have to say the company has been excellent, with the only downside being having to report the faults, video them, and a little wait time for replacements in the mail.
Also, I can say with confidence that they seem to be working to lessen these faults and to improve future batches. I say this because you can see varying serial number prefixes on the ovens, and tiny revisions in the design.
Also the third oven I received has a hinge that only opens to an angle of 50-55 degrees, where the two earlier ovens easily open all the way to about 115 degrees. Makes it quite a challenge to fill with the new tighter angle, and I'm not sure how that EZ fill kit would cope with it.

When I had asked was there any way I could prevent these faults (eg avoiding vibration in a vehicle), they kinda laughed and said no, like maybe they know whats causing the faults and it's not misuse?
Anyway they said the one thing I could do is avoid overstressing the hinge when open.
So maybe the problem lies somewhere near the hinge with the tape wires inside?

I'm just real lucky that I picked up a secondhand Solo as a backup, and that I didn't have to go down the old rizla, zig zag, or tobacco route!!
Other than that I love the P2 to death, was even going to start a thread debating if it has more body to the flavour than the Solo!!
And as the others have said, it is surely one of the most inconspicuous available?
Also, I got a custom housing and notice it smells more. (like a doctors office?!) I quite like these smells/flavours and they seem to complement some material, maybe I'm just weird!

Unfortunately, at present the reliability of this vape, or lack thereof, means I could not head off for the weekend with just this, and leave the secondhand beater solo at home :(

blackstone,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

hibeam

alpha +
Here are my observations and experiences after one week of vaping with the Puffit 2. I read this thread before ordering one. My unit is a bit more solid than I was expecting, but I find myself very gingerly plugging in the usb cable to the battery, and just as tentatively twisting together the oven to battery, never applying any lateral force to the oven hinge. I am super careful around the ribbon cable, using a dental pick to keep its path clear of particles. I fill the chamber before connecting the battery, and I use a small paintbrush to clear the rim before closing the unit. I have long thin and strong fingers, so I am able to securely hold the unit open with one hand while filling with the other. I use an old powdered stevia spoon for loading and press the back of the spoon to pack the load.

I begin drawing the last few haptic jiggles of warm up, and draw counting to 12 after the 2 jiggle signal. I exhale through my nose. I reheat and redraw as soon as possible. The battery more than gets me through 2 trenches. So far, I have been vaping 5/6 mj to 1/6 mint tea leaves. My mj so far is just fan or sugar leaves while waiting for mature cured bud. I wake and bake and after two full trenches I am medicated and jazzed for about 4 hours. If this is what the unit can give me with fan leaves, whoah baby!

The unit's tolerances reflect the purchase price and I foresee things working themselves loose over time unless handled with brain surgeon dexterity. That said, if I am rewarded with years of use for my gentleness, I would gladly throw more money at discreetvape for their brilliant R and D! I am awestruck by the simple elegance and ingenuity of the Puffit 2. I think more vapes should look like medical devices in the softening of many hard minds against drug induced pleasure/pain relief as therapy.

hibeam

alpha +
Here are my observations and experiences after one week of vaping with the Puffit 2. I read this thread before ordering one. My unit is a bit more solid than I was expecting, but I find myself very gingerly plugging in the usb cable to the battery, and just as tentatively twisting together the oven to battery, never applying any lateral force to the oven hinge. I am super careful around the ribbon cable, using a dental pick to keep its path clear of particles. I fill the chamber before connecting the battery, and I use a small paintbrush to clear the rim before closing the unit. I have long thin and strong fingers, so I am able to securely hold the unit open with one hand while filling with the other. I use an old powdered stevia spoon for loading and press the back of the spoon to pack the load.

I begin drawing the last few haptic jiggles of warm up, and draw counting to 12 after the 2 jiggle signal. I exhale through my nose. I reheat and redraw as soon as possible. The battery more than gets me through 2 trenches. So far, I have been vaping 5/6 mj to 1/6 mint tea leaves. My mj so far is just fan or sugar leaves while waiting for mature cured bud. I wake and bake and after two full trenches I am medicated and jazzed for about 4 hours. If this is what the unit can give me with fan leaves, whoah baby!

The unit's tolerances reflect the purchase price and I foresee things working themselves loose over time unless handled with brain surgeon dexterity. That said, if I am rewarded with years of use for my gentleness, I would gladly throw more money at discreetvape for their brilliant R and D! I am awestruck by the simple elegance and ingenuity of the Puffit 2. I think more vapes should look like medical devices in the softening of many hard minds against drug induced pleasure/pain relief as therapy.

Re my previous post, just about a week in my possession/use I got the 4 LED 8 buzz sensor error. I could not have handled the unit more carefully. 7 × 20 = 140 activations later, sensor error already? Thanks to this thread I did remember to register the unit. So off to CS dept I go, video cam charged and standing by.

justcametomind

I don't use it a lot anymore because I realized it doesn't vape at high temp. I think the max I reach is 190°C. So I have to load more often than it would be necessary. Pair that with the fact that loading the bowl, especially when hot is a PITA.
I don't think my unit is defective (I'd hope so) but on 1-2 I don't get any vapor, 3 getting some, with a fair flow only on the 4th level.
When unloading the bowl it is pretty fucking hot, so I don't think it's defective or it would melt the case.
I'd buy a 3.0, the small bowl is one of the things I like the best since every vape seems built with large bowls lately.
The ecig adapted is ok, but I'm biased because I have a very bad tasting ejuice so I only tried a few times. It's a bit annoying having to switch on and off but it's good knowing that when it's off, no juice will spill on your pocket.

Last edited:
justcametomind,
Reactions: blackstone

hibeam

alpha +
I don't use it a lot anymore because I realized it doesn't vape at high temp. I think the max I reach is 190°C. So I have to load more often than it would be necessary. Pair that with the fact that loading the bowl, especially when hot is a PITA.
I don't think my unit is defective (I'd hope so) but on 1-2 I don't get any vapor, 3 getting some, with a fair flow only on the 4th level.
When unloading the bowl it is pretty fucking hot, so I don't think it's defective or it would melt the case.
I'd buy a 3.0, the small bowl is one of the things I like the best since every vape seems built with large bowls lately.
The ecig adapted is ok, but I'm biased because I have a very bad tasting ejuice so I only tried a few times. It's a bit annoying having to switch on and off but it's good knowing that when it's off, nothing will spill on your pocket.
I use the lower settings for materials that work better cooler, like white sage or yerba mate. Some herbs toast faster than others? Yesss reloading is a PITA and the small bowl was one of my deciding factors. I wonder how much the strength of draw lowers the temp. now I am motivated to home make a device. I will post if my experiment works.

edit: I successfully vaped with a ten inch glass straw and a candle. Could not have done that without the past week's experiences.

Last edited:

hibeam

alpha +
Lilly got my video of the defect and says is shipping a replacement oven. Vapemood where I purchased was going to accept a return. I will report back when the replacement gets here and works. I got the original at a discount, so suspect buggy early stock. That is ok to me in such a specialized new industry, especially as reflected by the FC community's generosity with info.

blackstone

Re my previous post, just about a week in my possession/use I got the 4 LED 8 buzz sensor error. I could not have handled the unit more carefully. 7 × 20 = 140 activations later, sensor error already? Thanks to this thread I did remember to register the unit. So off to CS dept I go, video cam charged and standing by.

Gee, I was going to say you might be ok, and you were being so careful!
But I was also progressively more and more careful with each new module, and was using each one a bit less and depending on new vapes, and I still had failure.
The last thing I could think of, is that maybe the things are damaged by X-ray machines at airports! Because all of the modules have to travel a distance to get to me, then fail.
Well I'm going into my fourth week now waiting for module number 4 to arrive, and it has given me a little too much time to think..........
While the company are an absolute pleasure to deal with, in six and a half months ownership, I've spent almost three of those months out of action and writing emails / waiting for the postman.
I'm lucky I didn't hit the smokes!
Something tells me when I get the new module, as much as I'd love to use it again, maybe I should just sell up and save for something else,
as I have a funny feeling it too will fail?
And it is not a nice experience, it has gotten to the point where that 8 buzz failure sounds like it's laughing at me as it dies... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

The ecig adapted is ok, but I'm biased because I have a very bad tasting ejuice so I only tried a few times. It's a bit annoying having to switch on and off but it's good knowing that when it's off, no juice will spill on your pocket.

It was working out great for me, I first used to alternate between temp 2 and 4 but later I used to start and stay on level three. And yes the small bowl is great, especially for places where herb is expensive.
I had a way of filling a hot bowl using the MP cover as an oven mitt, but I always need a folded piece of paper to funnel it in, didn't like the thought of doing that on a windy day either!

justcametomind

I have also the loading tool, but it's no better than a paper funnel. It doesn't lock very well to the top of the oven but it does the job. I use that and the oven mitt method. We'd need some sort of herb syringe able to poke the ABV of the previous bowl and then load syringe like from top. :D

justcametomind,
Reactions: hibeam

hibeam

alpha +
I have also the loading tool, but it's no better than a paper funnel. It doesn't lock very well to the top of the oven but it does the job. I use that and the oven mitt method. We'd need some sort of herb syringe able to poke the ABV of the previous bowl and then load syringe like from top. :D

I use an itty bitty plastic spoon that comes in the powdered stevia we buy ( never seen a coke spoon but maybe similar).

When I get the replacement oven I am going to unscrew the plate from the first to see if maybe the ribbon cable has come loose, and just because I am curious. If number 2 fails I will see if I can send it back to Vapemood to exchange it.

And it is not a nice experience, it has gotten to the point where that 8 buzz failure sounds like it's laughing at me as it dies... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

lol :D

Last edited by a moderator:
hibeam,

hibeam

alpha +
Talk with the customer service and he will ask you to send him a video showing the broken item not working

That is exactly how I lucked out receiving the defective replacement. And I will not be trite because salon dot com says http://www.salon.com/2013/08/06/the_definition_of_insanity_is_the_most_overused_cliche_of_all_time/

I could send it back to the vendor for an alternative entry into the same infinite loop. And pay shipments on my end.

Or I could try to get the vendor to bend their returns rules this time...or I could send it back and process a credit dispute leading to a charge back. Or?

hibeam,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

hibeam

alpha +
Spoke to Vapemood today, reasonable folks a pleasure to call. Had an idea. Cut the magnet off replacement part. The sensor error message became sporadic, an improvement. Tried holding battery down continuously through heating cycle. This combination of mods eliminated the sensor error. Magnet throws off sensor? Battery connection iffy? Mods are not practical. Will return for ? Have not decided.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Been using mine today and now when starting a bowl cold it gives me warning buzzes and the lights cycle a bit for four pushes then always starts working on the fifth push, but on that fifth push it only takes 3-4 buzzes before its up to vaping temp. It's still working well once it starts.

Mine still works like it was the day I posted the above, not optimal but it does work at least. Surely not as great for pulling off a quick hit or two as when it was new and worked the way it's designed to work but...

Hope you get yours workin' hibeam.

hibeam

alpha +
Spoke to Vapemood today, reasonable folks a pleasure to call. Had an idea. Cut the magnet off replacement part. The sensor error message became sporadic, an improvement. Tried holding battery down continuously through heating cycle. This combination of mods eliminated the sensor error. Magnet throws off sensor? Battery connection iffy? Mods are not practical. Will return for ? Have not decided.

I got about 40 activations out of the replacement oven, but then it started throwing random errors. Holding in the battery ultimately caused the unit to overheat, even though at first it seemed like a good fix. It did not work at all unless I did that.

Now I am waiting on the vendor's go ahead so I can trade it in/up. The vendor sounded so surprised on the phone when first told about two oven modules failing, so I mentioned that people on forums were sharing similar stories. I have no faith in discreetvape at this point. What seemed revolutionary on paper was not beta tested? Or are we the unwilling beta testers? What about all the extra time some of us have invested in the product in good faith? At least the vendor answers the phone. They might pass my beta test with flying colors. We will see.

blackstone

I got about 40 activations out of the replacement oven, but then it started throwing random errors. Holding in the battery ultimately caused the unit to overheat, even though at first it seemed like a good fix. It did not work at all unless I did that.

Now I am waiting on the vendor's go ahead so I can trade it in/up. The vendor sounded so surprised on the phone when first told about two oven modules failing, so I mentioned that people on forums were sharing similar stories. I have no faith in discreetvape at this point. What seemed revolutionary on paper was not beta tested? Or are we the unwilling beta testers? What about all the extra time some of us have invested in the product in good faith? At least the vendor answers the phone. They might pass my beta test with flying colors. We will see.

That's a good idea man, I hope it works out for you now.
My vendor has never heard from me since I bought it in March, I only dealt with Discreet direct.
I'm still on the fence about this next module, but if I do use it, and it fail's,
I'll definitely want either a rock solid alternative or some money back.
As you say we were very patient with them,
I was like you and very accepting of the odd fault in a new industry etc, perhaps because the thing is so good when it works!
But they cant just keep sending us out faulty modules????
I wonder if they do have angry customers on their case about it already?
They obviously haven't found this forum/ thread yet!

blackstone,
Reactions: hibeam

hibeam

alpha +
Got a Palm 2 for credit from vendor, vapemood. Miss the robot buddy haptic feed back but love the stripped down essential form factor. Great invention!

blackstone

I think I'm about 9 weeks waiting for module number 4 now..
already got told that they "forgot" once.

If they are stalling, I wonder is it because they nearly have the problem fixed. Or is it just trying to use up the remaining months of my warranty :)

It said on their website about how they think they might have things to be very thankful for this thanksgiving.............? an end to P2 NIGHTMARES?

I hope I'll have lots to be thankful for, and that I wont be staring at a cold empty mailbox this holiday season, or getting error codes from anything that does show up!

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
A couple of weeks ago I finally got my hands on the P2 someone offered to me back in june or july. They only tried it once with wax and never touched it again. It still had a huge amount of wax left in the chamber(enough for a couple good sessions) they must have crammed the chamber full then tried it for one go then put it away, still showed 3 bars for battery level too which i find pretty amazing since it hasn't been used since the end of May 2015. It's been serving me well since I got it and I've been using it daily since most days I have a need to do discreet sessions of late( got stuck caring for/watching after a couple of young ones who still attend DARE programs in school) until later in the evening when I can plug in an UD or my HI or pull out the Vapman.

This little vape is great when it works properly and fills a niche for me that's not as well served with any other vaporizer I've used , really hope they truly address the sensor problem and wish they would find a new odorless and tasteless material for the body.

But despite the problems I've had and those I've read about I still really like my puffit 2 though I have a hard time recommending it to new vaporists due to what seems to be ongoing problems with reliability. I'd love to hear from some of the P2 owners and users who haven't had any problems or downtime with theirs.

I'd love to see this vape deserve to get some higher praise, It's an innovative design all around and like I said above works pretty well while they work. (my old one still actually works even though I still get the sensor error on the first 4 presses of the first session of the day, After the 5th press it's always up to vape temp after a few seconds(beeps/buzzes) and starts working like it should).

:peace: ... :2c:

Last edited:

justcametomind

IMHO Puffit 2 is a great idea but not so well executed.
My unit performed well since day one but abv is pretty pale and can be effectively re vaped elsewere hotter. This, and the fact that the bowl isn't large, other than being a PITA to load, makes the stealthiness of the unit pointless. Given the fact that it stinks after use, it loses points on stealth also because of having to constantly reload it and hit it to get an effect.
After the novelty effect wore off, I went back to the Crafty for outdoor use. Even if it stinks even more and it's not shaped like some medication, you get medicated quicker and you can put it away sooner resulting in being more stealthy.
This is unfair since Crafty is 300€ and Puffit 2 is 100, but that's not an excuse for sub par extraction.

Richard Dachshund

My PUFFit 2 gave up the ghost recently (out of warranty) and I am totally bummed. I am debating wether to spend the $100 (inclusive) or save up for the portable CRAFTY vape ($350-400). There is no debating the quality of the crafty (you get what you pay for) but the PUFFit 2 is cheap and does a great job, I just don't think it can handle heavy use, it is more for the casual user.

Almost forgot, they are having a "win a free PUFFit 2" contest http://goo.gl/k2r9Gc

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

justcametomind

My PUFFit 2 gave up the ghost recently (out of warranty) and I am totally bummed. I am debating wether to spend the $100 (inclusive) or save up for the portable CRAFTY vape ($350-400). There is no debating the quality of the crafty (you get what you pay for) but the PUFFit 2 is cheap and does a great job, I just don't think it can handle heavy use, it is more for the casual user.
I have both.
I'd never settle for the P2 alone cause it's extremely weak.
But if you vape extremely low amount, couldn't care less of full extraction, it could be a good tool and better than the Crafty for the purpose.

justcametomind,
Top Bottom