Puffco Peak

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
As a complete dabbing noob, any veterans here have tips on how to get the most out of a bowl without charring it?

I found a 3mm or 4mm ruby bead works well to absorb some heat and redistribute it.

I used 2 when I used the stock bowl - just using 1 now with my quartz.

It will all depend on how much you load and what you are dabbing. I pretty much never use white unless I am trying to do a massive dab. green/red work good, but I use too much material for blue to give me satisfying hit.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
So, my vibration motor died last Sunday.

I emailed Puffco right away and got a response within <6hrs on Sunday. Shot some video for proof and filled out a form, and I had an overnight label in my inbox within 12 hours.

I waited until Thursday to actually ship it out, since it still worked fine, just didn't vibrate...

They received it on Friday, and have sent me a BRAND NEW base today.

I confirmed before sending mine back that it would be replaced with a BRAND NEW unit - not a refurbished/pre-owned unit... otherwise, I would have just replaced the vibration motor myself.

Hopefully I'll be puffing again tomorrow after work, but just figured I'd throw my experience in, since I know a lot of people who have probably never even HIT a Peak like to circlejerk about how bad Puffco's CS is... just saying, I have NOT had a bad experience with them so far.

I used my unit pretty heavily for about 8 months and will now have a brand new one... can't complain 1 bit.

Also, I did finally break that atomizer after over 6 months of daily use, but I was poking at it and attempting to remove discoloration on it with a qtip (what a fucking dumb idea, but I figured it couldn't hurt)

I will buy one of the rebuild kits soon and play with rebuilt atomizers, but I am still happy with the OEM V2 atomizers fwiw. I will still argue that every single person bitching about their Peak breaking is using it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

420democrat

Picked up a puffco peak with an eternity quartz insert, took advantage of 4th of july sales and got some concentrates. My favorite is sour tangie. I was not too happy with performance until I got some quartz Pearl's now it rips and flavor is unreal. I do see room for improvement with a better carb/bubble cap. Where is everyone ordering from?

Also I tend to use sesh mode every hit and stay at green than red and finish with swabbing the darker puddle left. I reach for it over my enail and banger at the moment

Apparently Biao started making Peak recyclers...

$35 for that thing... Unreal! A stock top is $100 ... Get bent, Puffco! :D

I'm not the biggest fan of recyclers, but man, for a cheapo top... I will definitely grab this. Sure to be a fuckton smoother!

Did you ever get that glass piece?

420democrat

Yup - I posted a video a few pages back.

I was trying to find some others that I had but no luck. Maybe I will make another soon now that I have my new base :spliff:

https://streamable.com/nxyrq

Wow that looks awesome guess I will be ordering one this week.

Do you also have a link to that carb cap you are using?

Does everyone else need to sesh every dab or should I try cranking up to white setting

420democrat,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Wow that looks awesome guess I will be ordering one this week.

Do you also have a link to that carb cap you are using?

Does everyone else need to sesh every dab or should I try cranking up to white setting

I use the Eternal Quartz v3 Marble Cap (https://eternalquartz.com/product/puffco-peak-quartz-inserts-caps/)

I generally use sesh mode every time as well but I load fairly big dabs and don't like to wipe up massive puddles.

I ordered a rebuild kit this week and plan to re-build that atomizer I was using for 6~months. I also see they offer a different ceramic base, which reduces heat transfer to the lid, which I will be trying.

https://www.puffcoilrepair.com/product/ceramic-base

Will test with my thermocouple and report back.

muunch,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I ordered a rebuild kit this week and plan to re-build that atomizer I was using for 6~months. I also see they offer a different ceramic base, which reduces heat transfer to the lid, which I will be trying.

https://www.puffcoilrepair.com/product/ceramic-base

Will test with my thermocouple and report back.

Ive rebuilt my heater once so far its been going strong for 3 months of heavy use.

Most people seemed to not like the idea of the different ceramic base as it will create a gap between the bucket and the lid causing the bucket to move around

Mynameismud,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Ive rebuilt my heater once so far its been going strong for 3 months of heavy use.

Most people seemed to not like the idea of the different ceramic base as it will create a gap between the bucket and the lid causing the bucket to move around

Interesting - not really a fan of the bucket potentially moving around either but it's too late now. Not the worst thing in the world though, I will just rebuild it again with the original base if I am not satisfied. (edit: nevermind - just went to torch it to see if I could remove the discoloration and it snapped in half lmao)

I'm mostly hoping the upgraded wires/plate will make the heater a bit more robust. My buddy says he is seeing roughly 20 degree (F) increases since he rebuilt.

muunch,

idboehman

Anyone know why Puffitup doesn't stock them anymore? Was looking to pick one up (the open source firmware being developed is a big draw) but couldn't find it on their site.

Last edited:
idboehman,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Anyone know why Puffitup doesn't stock them anymore? Was looking to pick one up but saw they only had the carta which I've read has "Chinesium" (chinese titanium?) in its airpath according to @maxvapor710 (and the idea of an open source custom firmware with bluetooth is also enticing).
Puffco sent out a letter saying they were cutting off distributors that were selling other company products they felt infringed on their IP. Might have something to do with it.

As a peak owner, I would def suggest one if youre interested in an erig. The bluetooth temp control on the carta is nice for trying to get different types of buckets to work well but personally i havent really had any urge or reason to use anything besides the stock ceramic. taste is great and its easy to maintain.

Last edited:
Mynameismud,
Reactions: idboehman

Justpassedu

My Peak has new life again . I got a fitted Sic insert recently from constant gems as I have tried a # of different inserts and always went back to the stock ceramic. Well being a fan of Sic , I grabbed 1 from constant gems and it requires very little cleaning at all besides daily swabs with a qtip and some times iso but I will say it was a small improvement over the stock ceramic , way better flavor and the hits were about the same. What really brought new life was a coil/heater rebuild by them. It was a free service after purchasing the sic insert , sent 1 of my stock ones in to be rebuilt and wow . I can now take hits on green and actually milk my glass up. So anyone not very happy , try a coil rebuild service or do it your self . I can't vouch for other companies but I am guessing they are all the same.

idboehman

Puffco sent out a letter saying they were cutting off distributors that were selling other company products they felt infringed on their IP. Might have something to do with it.

As a peak owner, I would def suggest one if youre interested in an erig. The bluetooth temp control on the carta is nice for trying to get different types of buckets to work well but personally i havent really had any urge or reason to use anything besides the stock ceramic. taste is great and its easy to maintain.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the background! Sorry about the OT, I'll move the info about the carta to that thread.

idboehman,

mmafighterthe25

So guys who's got best sic insert for peak I broke an bought the neon green version . What's best bowl insert. Also got two I cartas ha.

mmafighterthe25,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I don't like either of the SiC inserts I tried - SneakyPete's and Fadespace - I'd try constantgems but I'm over the idea of trying to use SiC. I don't particularly like the idea of vaping off some ceramic surface and prefer quartz inserts. Any quartz inserts that are fitted to sit snug on the atomizer will do you well.

I can also highly recommend the atomizer rebuild kits. Very easy to do, and I am seeing a definite temperature increase in my dish surface temps.

muunch,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I don't like either of the SiC inserts I tried - SneakyPete's and Fadespace - I'd try constantgems but I'm over the idea of trying to use SiC. I don't particularly like the idea of vaping off some ceramic surface and prefer quartz inserts. Any quartz inserts that are fitted to sit snug on the atomizer will do you well.

I can also highly recommend the atomizer rebuild kits. Very easy to do, and I am seeing a definite temperature increase in my dish surface temps.
Is the sneakypete insert fitted? Did either provide vapor without a second heating? I was actually about to cave and get a constant gems sic because everyone that has them seems to like them but now im hesitant

Mynameismud,

mmafighterthe25

Well i got a titanium bowl coming for the peak. What you think better ruby or quartz. Who's got the best quartz for hits

Anyone try mrbonsai sic insert or ruby bowl. Wonder which hits better?

mmafighterthe25,

idboehman

sounds like your ballin out lmao that's a lot of money on portable e-rigs.

definitely interested in the best SiC insert for the peak though, wonder whatever it is will be available before focusv releases their sic insert for the carta.

idboehman,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Is the sneakypete insert fitted? Did either provide vapor without a second heating? I was actually about to cave and get a constant gems sic because everyone that has them seems to like them but now im hesitant

The SP one was fitted. Neither one of them gave satisfying vapor imo.

ConstantGems looks ok and Fadespace says they are making a v2 with slightly less than 20% less mass... so should heat better, but idk.

I am having a great experience w the quartz running on 5 or so months now.

Mostly green/blue now, depending on how big of a dab I'm taking... the rebuilt atomizers are reallllly much more robust

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The SP one was fitted. Neither one of them gave satisfying vapor imo.

ConstantGems looks ok and Fadespace says they are making a v2 with slightly less than 20% less mass... so should heat better, but idk.

Wouldn't it be cool if companies tested their products before releasing them? :uhoh:

I know that would take too much "science" :rofl:

I think the YSZ melt shot on Constant's page looks pretty legit though!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz3k9IFHouZ/

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Just rebuilt an atomizer using an aftermarket ceramic base, which apparently allows less heat to transfer to the atomizer lid, and more to the insert...

I can now reliably get satisfying hits on the lowest (blue) setting with my opaque quartz insert. Check my Instagram story for a video (@_aryll_)

Now I just really wish there were ways to fine tune things further...

Perhaps this is better for a PM, but how are things coming along with the custom firmware @maxvapor710 ?

mmafighterthe25

How long normally take puffco to ship these peaks. I ordered a neon peak an accessories Friday. Still not shipped?

mmafighterthe25,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
How long normally take puffco to ship these peaks. I ordered a neon peak an accessories Friday. Still not shipped?
They dont work weekends so usually anything on friday and saturday do not go out til monday. I would email them if you havent received tracking yet

Mynameismud,

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@muunch We haven't really made any public changes to the firmware recently due to a lack of Peak hardware to test with.

We reached out to ask for people with broken Peaks to send to us so that more of our developers could have access to the hardware and got about 10 people who were going to send us one.

Only @710Coils came through with a unit he was kind enough to let us borrow that had a damaged charging circuit.

We just finished repairing his board and put a new battery in it, and we are sending that back to him sometime this week. So effectively we are back to no spare hardware for development.

I like to use my Peaks quite often, so to keep disassembling them to work on the firmware is quite tedious.

We kind of have an inside joke here because we hear so many stories about broken Peak hardware, but I would say only about 10 percent of the people who contact us for repair or battery replacement actually send their unit in.

maxvapor710,
Reactions: 710Coils

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Fuck. I should have contacted YOU guys about my vibration motor. I wanted to use my warranty and get that sweet sweet brand new base... but I also really wish I could help you make progress on this!

muunch,
Top Bottom