Puffco Peak

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
FYI guys, I bought a Switch and do like it. But now that I have started building my own atomizers the worry of using the Peak is gone and I am really enjoying both devices.

I found several ceramic heaters that work, plus the same spec heaters used in the Peak (on order). Pairing the different heaters with different inserts. I have one that is slightly lower powered than the stock one. Gives a few more dabs per charge and works great on green with a fairly thin quartz insert.
On the other hand if I want a fat dab, I rigged up one atty with a larger heater than stock and a Ti bucket that's a bit bigger than stock also. It was actually the Ti shroud that came on my original CCA Turtle banger! lol. Anyway, I will have some OG spec heaters in soon for testing.
Considering Puffco Support actually stopped replying to me about a DOA new atomizer I don't feel bad about showing folks how to rebuild a Peak atomizer. Running my device 20 dabs per day you can really go through the atomizers, at least once a month. Not that 600 dabs per atomizer is that bad, but when you get one that lasts less than 20, or even 0 which I have had happen, I would rather rebuild for a few bucks than replace for almost $50.

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
FYI guys, I bought a Switch and do like it. But now that I have started building my own atomizers the worry of using the Peak is gone and I am really enjoying both devices.

I found several ceramic heaters that work, plus the same spec heaters used in the Peak (on order). Pairing the different heaters with different inserts. I have one that is slightly lower powered than the stock one. Gives a few more dabs per charge and works great on green with a fairly thin quartz insert.
On the other hand if I want a fat dab, I rigged up one atty with a larger heater than stock and a Ti bucket that's a bit bigger than stock also. It was actually the Ti shroud that came on my original CCA Turtle banger! lol. Anyway, I will have some OG spec heaters in soon for testing.
Considering Puffco Support actually stopped replying to me about a DOA new atomizer I don't feel bad about showing folks how to rebuild a Peak atomizer. Running my device 20 dabs per day you can really go through the atomizers, at least once a month. Not that 600 dabs per atomizer is that bad, but when you get one that lasts less than 20, or even 0 which I have had happen, I would rather rebuild for a few bucks than replace for almost $50.

You sir, are a Hero! No reason to feel bad.
Post how to video on You Tube, save all those poor
peeps who have been cut off & are selling broken peaks on Reddit.

tennisguru1,
Reactions: Vision103

tylerj55

care to share the ceramic heaters you ordered that are the same as Puffco's? Or are you waiting to receive them to see how they perform before recommending them?

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
care to share the ceramic heaters you ordered that are the same as Puffco's? Or are you waiting to receive them to see how they perform before recommending them?

The same spec heaters have a 100ea minimum and I wanted to verify that they work before suggesting. But I will tell you that I have successfully used both the 10mm and 13mm donuts from @divinetribe and they both work quite well on aftermarket inserts with flat bottoms. I had a couple from my DT v3.0 and gave it a shot, voila. So order his here https://ineedhemp.com/product/4pk-r...-large-donut-cup-set-v3-rebuildable-atomizer/

and start rebuilding! I'll let you know if I find something better. The ceramic stock insert will work with the donuts too but due to the small lip on the bottom (not flat bottom), they aren't quite as efficient unless you sand the insert lip down when using with the larger donut. They work fine with 10mm donuts from Matt but not as well as with a quartz insert.

Last edited:

Hoosier

The same spec heaters have a 100ea minimum and I wanted to verify that they work before suggesting. But I will tell you that I have successfully used both the 10mm and 13mm donuts from @divinetribe and they both work quite well on aftermarket inserts with flat bottoms. I had a couple from my DT v3.0 and gave it a shot, voila. So order his here https://ineedhemp.com/product/4pk-r...-large-donut-cup-set-v3-rebuildable-atomizer/

and start rebuilding! I'll let you know if I find something better. The ceramic stock insert will work with the donuts too but due to the small lip on the bottom (not flat bottom), they aren't quite as efficient unless you sand the insert lip down when using with the larger donut. They work fine with 10mm donuts from Matt but not as well as with a quartz insert.

FYI- I have had no luck using the w9 1701 ceramic plates with the rebuilt peak.

Hoosier,

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
FYI- I have had no luck using the w9 1701 ceramic plates with the rebuilt peak.

That's a 7mm Donut, not enough surface area for heat transfer. plus it's too high of resistance I believe. heater diameters from 10-14mm work in it better.

mrbonsai420,

Hoosier

That's a 7mm Donut, not enough surface area for heat transfer. plus it's too high of resistance I believe. heater diameters from 10-14mm work in it better.

No, I am talking about the plate from the triton atomizers

Hoosier,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Have you found any 14mm heaters? Anything bigger than 14mm? I have been looking for a plate or donut heater that is larger so I can use a larger insert.

nosmoking,

0such

Without tearing it apart the existing ceramic heater appears to be 11mm in diameter, so 14mm should be larger than stock.

0such,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Without tearing it apart the existing ceramic heater appears to be 11mm in diameter, so 14mm should be larger than stock.
I have taken it apart and it is 10.5mm, maybe even 10.75mm but not quite 11mm. The cavity below the Peak cup is exactly 11mm DIA.

nosmoking,

tylerj55

To be honest I tried this when the Peak first came out, and while it worked I don’t really think it works as well. I feel this way because the donuts don’t heat the entire surface and are thinner than the plate Puffco uses. I may need to order the 100pcs and just have an endless supply of atomizer replacements lol.

tylerj55,

Hoosier

To be honest I tried this when the Peak first came out, and while it worked I don’t really think it works as well. I feel this way because the donuts don’t heat the entire surface and are thinner than the plate Puffco uses. I may need to order the 100pcs and just have an endless supply of atomizer replacements lol.

I’d be down for a group buy

Hoosier,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
While charging, my base is now emitting an audible high-pitched noise and the blinking indicator stutters perceptibly. Has anyone else seen this?

Just got mine tonight and fresh out of the box it's making this super high-pitched whine whenever I charge it.

Was yours alright? I already contacted support. Won't be giving mine a test til tomorrow, if I don't have to send it back.

muunch,

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!

How about the 10mm plates used by Max Eagle or the new Sai flat plat heater.
From Shenzhen, They made my TAF SAI come alive.
Don't know about thickness thou, but I been abusing one for 15 grams now on
460 + as you lose about 80 degrees between the plate & quartz or Ti inserts.
Matt might be able to get a line on them also

tennisguru1,

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
They are right at 11mm, a hair under. Here is a backlit shot so you can see the actual heating element inside. I'll let you guys know when they land, shipping was atrocious on them.
The bottom pic is how my brand new atomizer came, the second post wasn't even connected to the heater. QC issue for sure.

27y00vd.jpg

2j0mpao.jpg
kyced.jpg

To be honest I tried this when the Peak first came out, and while it worked I don’t really think it works as well. I feel this way because the donuts don’t heat the entire surface and ar
e thinner than the plate Puffco uses. I may need to order the 100pcs and just have an endless supply of atomizer replacements lol.

Did you try with an insert other than stock? Been hitting it like that for a few weeks and still on my first homemade atty with quartz and it hits on par with a stock setup with ceramic. I do think we will get better performance out of the 11mm solid plates that are the correct resistance.

Have you found any 14mm heaters? Anything bigger than 14mm? I have been looking for a plate or donut heater that is larger so I can use a larger insert.

You can get any size you want if you buy in bulk, but keep in mind that the bigger the element, usually the more power you use, and the battery life is already awful on this thing. You would probably get 10 hits off of a 14-15mm solid disk heater.
But the donuts are slightly lower power than the solid plates, so you can go bigger on those with the same power since they don't heat the center.
Here is my 13mm donut paired with a big ole Ti bucket (My old CCA Turtle Banger shroud) This Ti bucket was the precursor to all Ligers! It was a Ti bucket around a quartz banger, similar idea to 710 coils axial bucket but without a custom coil. Worked pretty well, plus it led to the Liger! Anyway, sorry I digress, here is the big boy Peak Ti bucket atty.
70zvyc.jpg
2s63vo7.jpg
2qlbwk9.jpg

Last edited:
mrbonsai420,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
for the people using beads, how often do you clean them? are these really a step up?

waiting on my SiC to come in. how often do i clean this? just qtips?

really not a huge fan of the ceramic. I only get one or 2 puffs on red, even with sesh mode. Using their bubble cap. never even tried the stock one.

I seem people talking about not letting the brace touch the buckets since it robs heat. should I be doing this with stock too?

sorry huge wall of questions. recently back to vaping after long tbreak! :sherlock:

new living situation and this thing fits in perfectly. just need performance to be stepped up a bit. battery life seems great so far. the whining noise mine was emitting stopped when i used a different usb cable btw :shrug:

muunch,

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
That puffco heater is thick. All those other heaters are only about half as thick. The Puffco plate is just over 1mm thick which I bet helps it retain heat more.

Has anyone broke a Puffco Peak heater in half? I was wondering what the inner construction is like. Most of these ceramic disc and plate heaters have a flat SS or other material that is embedded within the ceramic. I have always seen the embedded metal to be a flat ribbon like material that is laid out like a maze is to cover as much area as possible without overlapping. I was wondering if the Puffco is just a flat metal disc inside a ceramic disc?

Last edited:
nosmoking,

leetsauce

Hi all. Is there a guide somewhere on how to rebuild Peak atomizers? I broke my first one while cleaning it - later learned that yanking the bowl was not the right way to remove it from being stuck. Any and all guidance is appreciated!

leetsauce,

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Here to report that I have successfully rebuilt 2 old peak atomizers, one of both the 10 & 13mm dt donuts.

Still in testing mode to find sweet spot for bucket/atomizer combos.

FYI, Using a 10mm donut and a chinese thin quartz insert works well together. I think I am getting more battery life than stock also. I even used the DT 3.0 cup with it and it keeps the donut protected from thermal shock during spillover from a glob. It's actually a little better than the original design. I just need longer leads on the donuts.
Pictured below, excuse the dirty insert and peak, it had to be tested well before posting! :brow:
dw7zts.jpg

Theses atomizers could be made SO much better by puffco or an aftermarket company, i'm not sure why they want us to make their very necessary V. 2.0 Atomizer, but whatever, we will if we have to.

Hi all. Is there a guide somewhere on how to rebuild Peak atomizers? I broke my first one while cleaning it - later learned that yanking the bowl was not the right way to remove it from being stuck. Any and all guidance is appreciated!

Hey man! If you have a heating element to use, just reverse engineer it. Pull the pin from the bottom and the rubber piece out and remove the old element. Then take the new one and make one post touch the center pin (positive) and the other the body or threads (ground). this is done by bending them just right, one pin will go on the outside of the rubber ring, the other on the inside, this keeps it from shorting out, this is very important. Putting the center pin back in should hold the wires in place, one against the center pin and the other against the threads to ground. Once you pull it apart it all makes since, I suppose I should just make a rebuild kit with instructions at this point. Message me if you need more help.

That puffco heater is thick. All those other heaters are only about half as thick. The Puffco plate is just over 1mm thick which I bet helps it retain heat more.

Has anyone broke a Puffco Peak heater in half? I was wondering what the inner construction is like. Most of these ceramic disc and plate heaters have a flat SS or other material that is embedded within the ceramic. I have always seen the embedded metal to be a flat ribbon like material that is laid out like a maze is to cover as much area as possible without overlapping. I was wondering if the Puffco is just a flat metal disc inside a ceramic disc?
I already posted, but it's just a ribbon, nothing special about the element. I have the full specs of the heater worked out. You can see in the picture it's the same metal ribbon winding throughout the disk.
2j0mpao.jpg

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
sorry to break up this very interesting atomizer talk, but I must interrupt for some help regarding inserts.... as I'm actually not having much luck with SiC. Thought those would be endgame but, nope. I've tried both fadespace and sneaky pete with no real luck. SP works ok on white with the lid pressed down, but that's harsh as a mf. I'd prefer to use red or green. Getting either of them to work with the lids "off" but also on wasn't a success. Sorta worked, not so much vapor.

My atomizer works, my dish gets hot and my oil gets vaped. Ceramic works good. I typically preload and put cap on before I double click. always red... but my buddy sent me a video of his on same temp/stock bowl and it seemed like his held heat better and or/heated back up quicker

I have 2 atomizers and have tried them both in just about every temp/lid/dish scenario I can, performances pretty similar, with similar atomizer glow patterns

Do I just need to keep playing atomizer lottery til one works... "better"? or is this it? cos dang I wanted this to be way better

muunch,

tylerj55

sorry to break up this very interesting atomizer talk, but I must interrupt for some help regarding inserts.... as I'm actually not having much luck with SiC. Thought those would be endgame but, nope. I've tried both fadespace and sneaky pete with no real luck. SP works ok on white with the lid pressed down, but that's harsh as a mf. I'd prefer to use red or green. Getting either of them to work with the lids "off" but also on wasn't a success. Sorta worked, not so much vapor.

My atomizer works, my dish gets hot and my oil gets vaped. Ceramic works good. I typically preload and put cap on before I double click. always red... but my buddy sent me a video of his on same temp/stock bowl and it seemed like his held heat better and or/heated back up quicker

I have 2 atomizers and have tried them both in just about every temp/lid/dish scenario I can, performances pretty similar, with similar atomizer glow patterns

Do I just need to keep playing atomizer lottery til one works... "better"? or is this it? cos dang I wanted this to be way better
Do you need to have it on red to get strong hits on ceramic? You may just have a shitty atomizer.

tylerj55,
Reactions: Pfennz

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Do you need to have it on red to get strong hits on ceramic? You may just have a shitty atomizer.

pretty much tbh... i got a new atomizer coming from a friend but I've tried 2 so far so idk. neither are cracked and they both work... sorta? do I need to send them a video to actually get a replacement?

muunch,
Top Bottom