Puffco Peak

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
You're simply hypersensitive to ceramic my dude, no need to overthink it. There's a lot of people on this board sensitive to all sorts of different things in vapor. If your sensitivity is ceramic, that alright, it's not for you, but you've said what you needed to say on that matter, lets stay chill before the mods get here and have to start playing clean up.

Everything you say about this Peak has been said by others about other ceramic atomizers. You're really not alone, but realize only a minority will be as sensitive to ceramic as you. For others, it's metal, or silicone, or wood, or all sorts of other things in the vapor path. Lets be respectful of each others sensitivities and recognize that we all are a little different here.

For me, temperature controlled draws off my Divine Tribe V3 ceramic donut are still probably the best tasting dabs I've EVER had, and I have a SiC Halo, e-nail powered HE Gavel, etc. Taste is subjective - it's normal to have different opinions on what tastes better.
And I agree. I have many vapes with ceramic
Good call. The matching carb cap is a nice touch as well, it really looks like a huge upgrade.

Now that I finally have a working Peak again, I realized I really dislike the stock glass as well. I hardly use it anymore now that I have a Switch. I think a glass upgrade will persuade me to keep the Peak in rotation.

I actually got my credit card to force a refund after the terrible experience I had with Puffco. They never asked me to send the unit back, so I technically got to keep the device for free. That said, I still wouldn't want to spend upwards of $250 on glass for a device that could stop working again at any moment :\
Good call. The matching carb cap is a nice touch as well, it really looks like a huge upgrade.

Now that I finally have a working Peak again, I realized I really dislike the stock glass as well. I hardly use it anymore now that I have a Switch. I think a glass upgrade will persuade me to keep the Peak in rotation.

I actually got my credit card to force a refund after the terrible experience I had with Puffco. They never asked me to send the unit back, so I technically got to keep the device for free. That said, I still wouldn't want to spend upwards of $250 on glass for a device that could stop working again at any moment :\
What is the warranty on the switch?

PhreedomPhries,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
In other news...

I'd really like Puffco to start selling atomizer rebuild kits. I'm about to buy my 4th atomizer and all I REALLY need is the actual coil.
The coil burns out on these atomizers? So it’s not just sensitive ceramic issue? Does this happen even if it is only used at low temperature?

PhreedomPhries,

Justpassedu

@freddiegibbs I was actually torn between this and the Switch. I ultimately went Peak for the small size alone as it's better for travel and I have a quartz banger & Sic Halo for home use if need be. I also did not like the fact that flower mode does not work so well on the Switch and that the drop in buckets use a spray on coating rather than the entire bucket being quartz or ceramic. It looks cool though. I think most of the Peak problems I have read have to do with the atomizers and not the device but what do I know.

@ohmygodimsohigh I better grab a few extra atomizers than , $40 a pop is allot though. I am probably 50 hits in so far and have yet to even remove mine, I'm scared :ugh:

Justpassedu,

ohmygodimsohigh

The coil burns out on these atomizers? So it’s not just sensitive ceramic issue? Does this happen even if it is only used at low temperature?

I'm not sure if it's all a "burn out" thing or not. I know I abused the hell out of the recent atomizer before it failed. However, I've had one fail on its very first dab and another that has only worked 60% of the time since new (and is now completely dead)

The part that fails is the actual heating coil with the 2 wire leads. In my professional opinion that part should be user replaceable without spending $40 on a whole new atomizer. $39 dollars wasted.

@Justpassedu - Puffco John on instagram recommended removing the top rim and soaking the entire atomizer (with bucket) in ISO. He said it's more gentle than q-tipping around the heater. I think using a different carb cap has had a negative impact on my coil life. New carb cap tends to send oil into the airpath and down the outside of the bucket (and onto the heating coil)

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter

How is the quality of the hits at low temp on the Switch as compares to the Peak in your opinion?

PhreedomPhries,

Ferrusbuelker

Be careful when soaking the atomizer in iso. I had mine in for ten minutes and next time I heated it the ceramic disc cracked in three places. Not sure if it was the iso or just a bad atomizer but the atomizer had been used twice.

Ferrusbuelker,

Vapor Loop

the drop in buckets use a spray on coating rather than the entire bucket being quartz or ceramic. It looks cool though.

Device size is a factor in my decision, But the whole spray on coating thing has me more concerned. I do however wish the Peak used more than just a wax pen atomizer to get up to temp.

Vapor Loop,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Be careful when soaking the atomizer in iso. I had mine in for ten minutes and next time I heated it the ceramic disc cracked in three places. Not sure if it was the iso or just a bad atomizer but the atomizer had been used twice.
Did you rinse it with water? I soak my atomizer in iso all the time have not had any issues

@freddiegibbs I was actually torn between this and the Switch. I ultimately went Peak for the small size alone as it's better for travel and I have a quartz banger & Sic Halo for home use if need be. I also did not like the fact that flower mode does not work so well on the Switch and that the drop in buckets use a spray on coating rather than the entire bucket being quartz or ceramic. It looks cool though. I think most of the Peak problems I have read have to do with the atomizers and not the device but what do I know.

@ohmygodimsohigh I better grab a few extra atomizers than , $40 a pop is allot though. I am probably 50 hits in so far and have yet to even remove mine, I'm scared :ugh:
its better to remove and clean it now then wait until its so gunked up you cant take the lid/dish off. If that ends up being the case soak the entire thing until it comes apart easily

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferrusbuelker

@Mynameismud yes rinsed it with distilled water but didn’t let it dry overnight so perhaps that was the issues. I’ve rebuilt the atomizer several times but I’m sort of done with the Peak, have the Switch coming we will see how that works out. It’s hard to get away from terp slurper, diamond loop and opaque inserts. But I keep looking for that e solution and experimenting. Someday...you never know that perfect setup could be just around the corner..... I remember I felt that way about the sapphire halo and liger but then boredom sets in...oh well on with the mission!

Ferrusbuelker,

junny89

Love the look of the puffco peak but I wish it was for dry herb! Anyone know if they will be releasing a dry herb version anytime?

junny89,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Got my unit yesterday. Charged for few hours. Turn on, check battery with triple click, green! G2G.
Loaded first dab, double click, smooth hit !
Q-tip the bowl, wait a few mins, load next , now when I double click to start heating the light will flash 5 times (solid color, no rainbow) and stay off.
The unit still keeps unlocked (on) but the double click to start heat never holds. Tried unscrewing the atomizer and putting it back but doesn’t seem to do a thing.
Anyway had similar experience,?

Modnote: Back to back posts merged

0a4Ug78.jpg
Found the issue ! I took apart the atomizer , and surprisingly found the wires to be shorted. So much for a 400 $ device quality control hey ? Anyway, I rearranged the pins and positioned properly , reassembled and surely enough now it’s working great ! I guess it worked the first time because the wires were close but not touching, then with the first heat expansion it then shorter.
Do those wired embed into the ceramic, or are hey just inserted into it? Is it able to relatively easily be rebuilt entirely starting with fresh new coil if necessary?

PhreedomPhries,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Hey I wanted to say I am enjoying my Peak and the key to me enjoying it has been removing the silicone piece at the top of the atomizer. I’ve found that the silicon has been giving me a headache, as it is exposed to very high temperature from its direct exposure to the metal chamber it sits around. When I remove it from the vapor path, I don’t get a headache. I recommend people give it a try, using a different carb cap that fits flush directly over the top of the metal chamber rim of the atomizer. It’s a working fix for me right now. I’d love to see Puffco make a different optional replacement cap piece made of either glass or entirely ceramic, as the silicone seems to be a poor choice due to the silicone definitely being a part of the vapor path due to the air cutouts being designed as they are on that cap piece.

Last edited:
PhreedomPhries,

aj0125

Anyone found any cheap China glass or any other low cost peak glass options? Would love to try something else but the prices the Instagram blowers want are pretty steep, plus I've decided I'm past the point in my life of spending 100s of dollars on glass alone...

aj0125,

Justpassedu

Anyone found any cheap China glass or any other low cost peak glass options? Would love to try something else but the prices the Instagram blowers want are pretty steep, plus I've decided I'm past the point in my life of spending 100s of dollars on glass alone...
Unfortunately aj nothing yet . Custom blown is the only way right now. The only cheap glass you can find for it is quartz inserts on dhgate .

Justpassedu,

freddiegibbs

Why isn't Puffco offering replacements for the glass? What's someone supposed to do if they break theirs?

freddiegibbs,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Unfortunately aj nothing yet . Custom blown is the only way right now. The only cheap glass you can find for it is quartz inserts on dhgate .
My quartz inserts from dhgate arrived today. The seller assured me I have the newer thinner design. They do not have good thermal property for this. It’s clear they need to be thinner still in order to heat the oil quickly enough. This is true in all heat settings including white. The heat is distributed too much over the surface area/volume of the dhgate quartz inserts, and it does not vaporize the oil readily. This is the new thinner design they claim to have modified to be clear.

Last edited:
PhreedomPhries,
Reactions: aj0125

aj0125

Thats too bad, I went ahead and got the fadespace quartz and am happy with it, great hits on green but its 30 bucks...

Really want a different style main glass but cannot afford nor justify buying one from a Instagram blower or something like that.

MAbud

I’m surprised there isn’t more activity on this thread...picked one of these up today. Looking forward to checking it out!

MAbud,
Reactions: slcbdco
Top Bottom