Propylene Glycol Tincure?

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I was talking to someone who was doing some work on my house, and he mentioned making cannabis tincture using food grade propylene glycol (PG). I had never heard of this before, so I did a little research myself.

PG is a food additive with a low toxicity and recognized as generally safe by the FDA.

The guy I was talking to seems to think that PG is a much better solvent than VG.

Anyone here made or heard of PG tinctures?

Nuphile,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
No, but you've peaked my curiosity. i have PG around for making ecig juices.

hmmm, if you infused VG, then PG, then PGA, then created an e cig juice could you get the holy grail of an ecig juice that will medicate you?

things that make you go hmmmmm...

herbgirl,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I have been thinking for awhile about trying to make BHO infused tincture. If seems with the right amount of heat and stirring, this may be possible. I have also been hearing about people trying to vape tincture with ecigs and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't really work b/c you would have to vape a shitload of tincture to even get a mild buzz. But, what about infusing a good amount of BHO into PG and using this as ecig juice? Would this possibly work?

Nuphile,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
You can buy PG at Tractor Supply or feed stores... It is used in cattle. It is also sold online. PG is used in ecig juice as well as many food products. It would be best to look for U.S.P. grade.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/propylene-glycol-usp.html

I tried PG tinctures as well as PG/VG mix tinctures for ecig purposes = meh! The oils we desire to extract seem to kill the atty. Tons of posts around here about folks trying for that holy grail. I found when I could get it to work for a short time I'd have to puff day & night to achieve anything... I went into edible tinctures and stick to my nic juice in ecigs but.... love to see the day a homemade recipe that actually works is posted somewhere.

I will say VG makes a damn fine tasting tincture :D

Lo,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
I agree that VG make a great tasting tincture!
I guess I may have veered from the original intent of this topic: I was originally inquiring about using PG as an edible tincture.
I think it may be a better solvent than VG and apparently has no taste.

Nuphile,

Lo

I think PG might be a better solvent than VG but alcohol is still a better solvent IMHO. You can do an edible PG tincture though so long as you don't have a PG sensitivity.

One method that works well for me with PG/VG is to use alcohol as my solvent, then reduce it down and combine with PG/VG. This way seems to make more potent tinctures for me. Solvent exchange method.

Lo,

Tuck

Lo said:
I think PG might be a better solvent than VG but alcohol is still a better solvent IMHO. You can do an edible PG tincture though so long as you don't have a PG sensitivity.

One method that works well for me with PG/VG is to use alcohol as my solvent, then reduce it down and combine with PG/VG. This way seems to make more potent tinctures for me. Solvent exchange method.

My last edible was made from a Hash Oil that was the third ISO wash of some regs and an ISO wash of my ABV. I evaporated it all down then popped it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 220F to make sure all the iso was gone and to do a decarb on the regs. I was left with about 3g of hash.

I took 1g and added 20ml of everclear. 1 drop is okay. 2 is better.

How much VG/PG would I need to 1g of hash oil to get 10-20 doses, considering the alcohol tincture above? Can i just use 20ml of VG or would I need to use more?

Tuck,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
Lo said:

PGA is definitely a much better solvent, but can upset some stomachs. I have tried the solvent exchange method using PGA, combining with VG, and evaporating the PGA in a crockpot. The tincture was quite strong, but I was left with more of a suspension after I evaporated all the alcohol off. I used high quality trim for the initial alcohol extraction, and was left with resinous particulate matter after the solvent exchange method.
Is this consistent with your results? If not, could you tell me exactly how you did it. I think I may have done something wrong, and would definitely be willing to re-visit this method with more insight.
Thanks! :D

Nuphile,

Lo

How are you straining things I wonder?? I went through several methods of straining before I found one that reduced particulate. I now use a very fine mesh nylon strainer meant for tea. That reduced the particulate quite a bit.

I have found that PG/VG tinctures seem more like a suspension than a PGA tincture but my last few batches have been pretty damn good with straight VG. I would think PG could be used same way.

With straight VG I take the ABV and add glycerin slightly above the level needed to cover the herb. I put the jar with the concoction inside a coffee mug with a bit of water and let sit on a candle warmer for 6-8 hours...stirring throughout the day and adding water to mug as needed. When I'm done I strain while the VG is still warm so things move quickly. Bottle and done.

When using PGA, solvent exchange, I would mix the ABV and PGA, let sit for a bit, shake, stir and then strain. I then make note of amount in jar....add similar amount of VG. I then reduce it down until the level indicates that most if not all the alcohol is evaporated. I've used both low heat on the stove and the coffee mug/candle warmer method. The stove I can use a larger surface area pan which makes reduction happen much faster but both methods work well.

I literally could have a line around the block for tinctures and candies made from tinctures. People love this shit!

Takes some playing around to get your happy place but well worth it IMHO. Vaping is the gift that keeps on giving :D

Lo,

Nuphile

Non-Smoker
The problem I am having with particulate matter post solvent method is not from the straining method. I have been using a coffee filter with PGA tinctures, and they have turned out very well. However, when a PGA tincture is evaporated, there is a residue left over, at least in my experience. This residue will just go into the VG/PG tincture as a suspension.
Maybe I am letting my PGA tincture go too long before straining, and this is causing the leftover residue. The one time I tried the solvent exchange method, I let the PGA tincture sit for 10 days. I should also note that I used 4 oz. of trim, and almost 1/5 of PGA. Maybe the residue I am speaking of is just chlorophyll and other unnecessary plant matter from letting the tincture go too long. By the sound of your post, it seems like you may not let the PGA tincture go for as long as I do. Am I possibly wasting my time here?

Nuphile,
Top Bottom