Proposed Fed Legalize Bill- B Sanders

MinnBobber

Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) has introduced legislation to legalize the recreational use of marijuana.

The Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act introduced Wednesday by Sanders would end the long-time federal prohibition on marijuana. This is the first Senate bill to propose legalizing recreational pot, according to marijuana advocates.

OMG--- it mandates removal of Fed Schedule 1 status. IMO, that Schedule 1 status is a HUGE barrier/ negative to legalizing cannabis.
So what are the odds of this passing?

I'm assuming very small but, heh, hope I'm surprised by some miracle and it happens!!

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Once cannabis was legal in WA state the employers check for cannabis more now than ever before. Drug testing is very high in private industry. Those working for the state, county and city usually are exemp unless you work for a prison system, state patrol or police. I think if you are in a union you're pretty safe. My brother in law worked as a firefighter and he was never tested for cannabis.

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I think not. It would mean that the only laws prohibiting cannabis would be state laws and the DEA and Justice Dept would be out of the biz of busting growers, Wow!, etc
I believe this is a grey area that will need to be addressed. If MMJ is taken off the Schedules and one obtains a prescription from their doctor, wouldn't any information in its regard be covered by HIPAA or similar?

Not a lawyer, but just thinking this issue through.

Gunky

I love the way Sanders is pushing the whole thing along in so many areas. He says it and pretty soon others aren't frightened of saying it. Pretty soon even Clinton, who is at heart a cautious and conventional politician and somewhat timid about getting out ahead of issues, will be saying it. Because it's safe now, there is cover for such a position.

I have heard other pols talk about moving cannabis downward in seriousness on the schedule from 1 to 3 or 4 or something but Sanders is the first I have heard advocate removing it from the list of controlled substances, in effect making it an ordinary agricultural product as far as the federal government is concerned.

Last edited:

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
I think not. It would mean that the only laws prohibiting cannabis would be state laws and the DEA and Justice Dept would be out of the biz of busting growers, dispensaries, etc
I mean realistically there will always be illegal growers and dispensaries trying to save a buck so while theyll be much less the bust I dont think there would be none. I also look at it as not much of a big deal, I mean the DEA and such are there to prevent illegal drug stuff so if theres less of them, it shouldnt be looked at as a problem, but more of a good thing. Plus theres always prescription pill busts & "hard" drug busts for them to deal with too

vapebuddy13,
Reactions: CarolKing

Gunky

I mean realistically there will always be illegal growers and dispensaries trying to save a buck so while theyll be much less the bust I dont think there would be none. I also look at it as not much of a big deal, I mean the DEA and such are there to prevent illegal drug stuff so if theres less of them, it shouldnt be looked at as a problem, but more of a good thing. Plus theres always prescription pill busts & "hard" drug busts for them to deal with too
The DEA and Justice Dept are only interested in violations of federal law. Remove cannabis from the federal 'schedule' of controlled substances (where it currently sits on schedule 1 along with heroin) and they no longer have a role to play with regard to cannabis unless there is some sort of interstate crime, like transport from a cannabis-legal state to cannabis-prohibited state.

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I think being forced to be on a medical cannabis registry for your medical condition is violating HiPPA laws.
I think it will play out that because it's illegal and not recognized at the Fed level yet formally as medicine, that they have a loophole regarding HIPAA...

DDave,
Top Bottom