Prop 203 Fails In Arizona: No Medical Marijuana For AZ

reloader

This was so close, I cant believe it. 6000 votes separate the outcome, unbelieveable. :mad:

Prop 203, the ballot measure in Arizona to make medical marijuana legal, has failed by a small margin, 50.25% against to 49.25%

reloader,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
As I understood it, Pima County is still in the process of counting votes. Its not *quite* over yet, but Im not holding out a whole lot of hope.

AGBeer,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Thanks to everyone who would have voted yes but figured their most important right can be ignored and didn't vote. Thanks a lot. So close, so sad.

aesthyrian,

Frickr

measure 13 failed here in sd also... wasnt a good election for the advancement of marijuana legalization

Frickr,

lwien

Frickr said:
measure 13 failed here in sd also... wasnt a good election for the advancement of marijuana legalization

Unless you consider all the press that it received, which was more than at any other time that I can remember. Taken from that viewpoint, this election was about laying the groundwork which actually, could be a pretty good election for the advancement of marijuana. LOTS of people voted in favor of it.

lwien,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Yeah, the fact that the polls are so close in all cases is still great news. As long as we keep pushing, more and more people will learn and realize the truth.

aesthyrian,

Purple-Days

Headline: Dewey Wins !

Uh, they still have almost 200,000 votes to count (by hand, they are verifying signatures on 'early ballots' and not counting votes today) and with 7000 difference, it's too early to declare, and even if there were no further votes to count (there are) the small margin would likely cause an automatic re-count (not that that would change much, but still it wouldn't be a clear win at that point).

So this may not be over and the calm voices in AZ are waiting to see, before declaring victory. even if it fails, and this would be the fourth time, it will come up again, and with a virtual 50/50 count this time, and with a aged demographic dying off, Dewey can't win forever. If not this time then next, or next...

Purple-Days,

aero18

vaporist
Unbelievable that some people would vote on a measure to deny ill people a medical aide. Completely astonishing to me that some people would be that hell bent on controlling another person's life, down to their own medical issues!

aero18,

Raf007

Retailer
Well, people don't want to believe that MJ can be actually good and that they have been fooled during so many years.

...but eventually they will

Raf007,

reloader

aero18 said:
Unbelievable that some people would vote on a measure to deny ill people a medical aide. Completely astonishing to me that some people would be that hell bent on controlling another person's life, down to their own medical issues!

I am stupefied as well. So many people are so ignorant when it comes to mary jane. What is even more amazing is the amount of synthetic legal pills with tons of side affects that are approved for use. You see the commercials from big pharmaceutical companies and their list of side affects.

Reefer madness and all the government propaganda in the 30's and 40's still has an effect on the oldest generations.
I worked with an older gentleman years ago, and even though he was a heavy drinker, when we talked about pot, he said he would never touch the stuff. He was scared to, he thought it might make you go mad or worse.
One of my favorite quotes:

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." -Abraham Lincoln
Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives

reloader,

mongorian

Perfectly Toasted
I'm watching this one closely. It's definitely not over yet - or at least I'd like to hope not.

Haven't heard any real news today, but heard yesterday that with 83,000 provisional ballots yet to be counted, the gap on this had closed to under 4,000. Maybe, just maybe... (not holding my breath though)

mongorian,

Purple-Days

Last night I heard there were about 375,000 ballots to count and most of those were Maricopa County, and today counting (see above ^^^) 80,000 , the negative lead has been chopped by half, if that trend continues and the next 300,000 are counted this could be an upset.

Just heard a fellow in the booth next to us, at lunch, he was for Med and even voted for it, but was against recreational use. I think most sensible people feel the same. Of course scare tactics work well and they all fear rampant drug users. (as if the gangs and crime are better :rolleyes: ). And fear rules with certain voters and politicians.

Fingers crossed as counting continues. :2c:

update: 11-06 this morning the count has slipped to 5100 against . . . still hoping the rest of the ballots aren't from Sun City... God's Waiting Room. You should see the geezers on their golf carts... out on the frigging road. I kid you not... GOLF CARTS on the public streets.

BTW AZ is funny in many ways. Drivers licenses are good till you are 65. You buy it once, then you are good to go till 65. That's crazy. But once you hit 65 they give you a behind the wheel driving exam every year. I saw a fellow who had to be led by the hand (by his wife), he was wearing pajamas and slippers, who was going out to take his exam... Much respect for the courage of that examiner.

Purple-Days,

mongorian

Perfectly Toasted
Purple-Days said:
BTW AZ is funny in many ways.

"funny", huh? Not exactly the word I'd have chosen.

I didn't realize you were in AZ!! I'd actually been looking at your device as a possible office vape, or for when I'm alone (by DBV takes so much to fill properly).

I just noticed the "not available in Arizona" disclaimer on your website though. What's that all about? Is that an "official" limitation or just a personally imposed one?

mongorian,

mongorian

Perfectly Toasted
lwien said:
Thanks for that! Little of both then, I guess.

I don't really understand how it would apply tax to people in other states though - isn't the rule with internet tax you pay it only if the company/seller operates in the buyer's receiving state?

Oh well. Certainly understand not wanting the extra hassle though - no arguments there. Too bad though... guess I'll just have to wait until I can get back out of this ridiculous state.

Still waiting on the official final count on 203 though...

mongorian,

EonBlue

Soul Rebel
I have always said that if we can rezone east Mesa & Sun City as part of Utah, we will be free to enjoy medical cannabis and a Sheriff not named Joe Arpaio...BTW I grew up just outside Sun City....I remember my father cursing at all of the golf carts driving down the middle of the road doing 10 mph and the other cars doing 15mph...

EonBlue,

Purple-Days

Still around 5000 votes against with 110,000 to count.

Saw another thread that gave some good info on why Pot laws aren't passing. A very interesting result in Humbolt County in Norther Cali. Overwhelming defeat. :cool:

Oregon defeated the Dispensary prop.

Seems Medical Pot has gone as far as it's going to go for now. Having lived in Oregon, till recently, I saw how the med laws were bent and used by recreational users. More cheaters than those in need, and the med patients themselves breaking the rules and using a permit as a license to sell to anyone. Some voters don't appreciate that, and feel they were deceived, rightly so IMO.

Purple-Days,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Purple-Days said:
More cheaters than those in need, and the med patients themselves breaking the rules and using a permit as a license to sell to anyone. Some voters don't appreciate that, and feel they were deceived, rightly so IMO.

So clearly they are in support of complete legalization then, right? Who would buy from third party when they can go to a storefront? I just really wish people would get over their stigma's of pot. Not like we're talking about alcohol or tobacco here :lol:

The battle for truth and common sense makes me tired some days hah

aesthyrian,

mongorian

Perfectly Toasted
Purple-Days said:
Saw another thread that gave some good info on why Pot laws aren't passing.
Afraid I don't totally agree with your sentiment there.

The reason that none of these passed, I think, is that voter turnout in the younger age ranges was horrible - like it generally is every time there is an election that is not on a presidential voting year.

It's really annoying, because most of these probably would have passed, had the younger crowd truly represented themselves. But no... they can't be bothered with *voting* (that's poopy work), unless the president is up for a vote as well. BOO to that!! F the president!!! Voting is all about the propositions/questions for me - seems to be the only place we ever see any real difference made.

Myself, and a few others excluded of course, because you better damn well bet I voted - every chance I get. But, I'm sorry to say that WAY TOO MANY of my friends - most of whom are in CA still, saying they "don't really want the meds things to change" - did not vote at all this year. The Meds thing is BS, and it's great (in CA) for now, but how long will that last? (hint - until the next whacko Pres. takes office and decides he's not happy with the current status quo around the matter).

Sorry.... I'm mostly just pissed that I ever moved to AZ. I'll stop ranting now.

mongorian,

Purple-Days

Down to 3500 against, still counting, but I didn't catch how many were left to count. It ain't over till . . . they are done counting. :cool:

Purple-Days,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Purple-Days said:
Down to 3500 against, still counting, but I didn't catch how many were left to count. It ain't over till . . . they are done counting. :cool:

Man how I wish (almost wish) I was back in AZ again.
I DO miss the climate there, but not much else :)

AGBeer,

mongorian

Perfectly Toasted
Counting is going into next week - then there could even still be a recount, since it's so close. We aren't going to know for sure for a little while yet...

mongorian,
Top Bottom