Pressure Cooker Butter - So effecient - 20 minutes

SnidelyWhiplash

Hey stoners!
So, I have been playing with improving my lecithin butter recipe for the last few years and have managed to really break some ground. My sun-oven-butter has be he most potent, kindest shit imaginable. An on the New-Age side, its fucking SUN Extracted, talk about Aztec sun-swallowing, that shit's gotta be good for you.

I feel a obligation to share this. It could really help people that need medicine and don't have enough herb or cash to pay for all their edibles.

I heard stories when I was in college of legendary pressure-cooker cookies from a Mendo-born friend.
And the more I read, the more peoples advice seemed to by typical he-said she-said bullshit like I see in beer-making. No one has the fucking balls to try for themselves to understand a point/flaw. I read that once the herbal oils have bonded to the oil of choice and the water, that their evaporation point changes, as well as who fucking cares if its sealed in a mason jar right? It will re-condense.

Ok. it works. Really well. Just as strong as the Sun butter. But in 20 minutes instead of 2-3 days. And just like the sun-butter, if you don't mess up, NO SMELL (comparatively to your neighbors house smelling like a skunks asshole). The three most important factors in producing a strong butter are: Lecithin, Vita-Mixer, and COCOA BUTTER. It's hard, it can hold all the oil you want, it has a long shelf life.

With this recipe I can make a chocolate bar with 32 knock-you-on-your-ass doses (each is 2 grams of chocolate). Made with 4 grams of fresh herb, matched with equal weight ABV (seems to add more of a nice body high-muscle relaxing). This is FUCKING EFFICIENT. So efficient that you could justify using only single source top shelf flowers and not be disappointed. But Id rather vape them first.. hahahah, or at least half.

So, for every 4 grams of decent flowers, match equal weight with ABV.
Before combining the ABV with the flowers, decarb em. I use a mason jar sealed in the toaster oven at 210 for 10 minutes or more. This part really varies from person to person. Some people say barely toast it, some say make it brown. Personally I think that might be batshit, someone explain to me how the THC and CBD don't get activated being blasted in a fucking pressure cooker?

Once the herb is "decarbed", mix it with the ABV and dump it into your vita-mixer (or other extremely high powered blender). Take a Quart mason-jar, fill it 1/2 way up with water, dump that in the blender with your herb. Add .5 grams lecithin per 1 gram of FRESH herb. Blend that shit into green smoothie.

Pour the smoothie back into the mason jar and add 4.5 Grams Cocoa Butter per 1 gram of FRESH herb (not ABV)

Close the lid on the mason jar and pressure cook it in a water bath for 20 minutes. Allow it to cool naturally.

Once just warm, open the jar and pour out the contents through a organic cotton bag, or very fine cheesecloth. This is actually where you can really fuck up. You have to be really patient, most of the oil is stuck in the herb. A potato ricer can be a brilliant way to really give it a proper squeeze. Sadly you wont know what you recovered until its too late, but usually I get all my cocoa butter back.

Put this liquid into the fridge for a few hours, and either the cocoa butter will be rock solid (yaaaay) or sometimes it ends up a slurry (booo). Rock solid is ready to go, slurry, sieve it out and put it in glass in front of a fan. It will harden up in a day maximum.

Ok, now you have some serious fucking potent cocoa butter. You can do whatever you want with it, hot chocolate, cookies, muscle rub, or ... CHOCOLATE!

If you don't have tempering skills, then bite me, do your homework or make ganache.

My favorite tempered chocolate bar recipe/ratio:
3 parts chocolate to 1 part cocoa butter
Melt in microwave with the chocolate/cocoa butter on medium heat.
For 3 - 3.5 ounce chocolate bars (12 grams of herb):
Add 2 tsp fresh ground coffee (metabolize faster, less drowsy)
Add 1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder (immune booster)
Add 1/2 teaspoon organic ginger powder (stomach/anxiety ease)
add 1/2 teaspoon ginseng (balances equilibrium, anti anxiety)

Heat to 110, stir until smooth. Cool in icebath to 94 and add seeding (pre-tempered) chocolate and mix until it drops below 91. remove seed chocolate and quickly pour.

Done. If you-all are nice enough I'll post pics.

I wonder if we could send cocoa butter into a lab somewhere and see slow/vs pressure extracted actual comparison?

Last edited:

SnidelyWhiplash

With the sun-oven technique, its sealed in a mason jar in your backyard. You can make one out of cardboard and a piece of glass from home depot.... Seriously lo pro and no smell.

With the cooker, if you overfill the jar, it will overflow then your kitchen will smell. You can still recover the overflowed butter though.

Kushmangoes

Glassblower
Glass Blower
With the sun-oven technique, its sealed in a mason jar in your backyard. You can make one out of cardboard and a piece of glass from home depot.... Seriously lo pro and no smell.

With the cooker, if you overfill the jar, it will overflow then your kitchen will smell. You can still recover the overflowed butter though.
How much is usually an overfill?

SnidelyWhiplash

Typical canning, don't fill higher than 3/4. Easier to use more jars then to recover a mess. 2/3 might be best. The herb tends to reconstitute like rice. I can't imagine what would happen if you just dumped the whole slurry into a brownie mix.. hahahaha

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
intersting tech thank you.

couple questions: have you measured the temp the slurry gets in the pressure cooker?

on your solar cooker are you covering the mason jar so the sunlight can't damage the goodies?

how did you arrive at the twenty min time?

SnidelyWhiplash

Letsee, the mason jars have metal tops so the only sun exposure is through the sides, primarily indirect. When you shit turns out this potent, you tend to not worry about those details much, but fine tuning is good! You could spraypaint the outside of your jars black. I suppose. Or get some nice amber glass jars! I keep one jar filled with water and ram a thermometer through the lid - it maintains around 205-210. I shake the jars every few hours. Its' fun!

Now for the cooker, no clue whatsoever the internal temp. I am assuming by the result (potency) that it's irrelevant as the oils have bonded to the cocoa butter pretty quickly in that blended state. That and it seals so nothing should really escape. But even when the seal breaks, I cant tell any difference in potency. 20 minutes is about how long I feel comfortable running a pressure cooker. It's the maximum length for cooking most things and uses up the water pretty well. By ALL MEANS play with my data and fine tune. That's why I'm sharing this instead of being selfish. I think people need to eat this shit regularly for preventative health maintenance, AMEN.

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
i was just at thrift store today and saw a couple pressure cookers, darn it

do you have any photos of your solar cooker? or even a link to what 'style' solar cooker you are using?

thanks

SnidelyWhiplash

I have a professional solar oven, but it gets a little too hot I think, the ghetto/homemade ones seem to have a nicer slow-extraction temperature. That and you just feel like a fucking pioneer. hahaha. I'll take a shot when my celly is charged up...

SnidelyWhiplash

OH, I forgot to mention!!! No sun oven and no pressure cooker??

No problem. Just drop the sealed mason jar your largest pot of boiling water with a cooling rack sitting inside the bottom of the pot. BOOM instant no-smell double-boiler. Run it for 6-8 hours. (Don't overfill or stinky mess time, I'd only go halfway on each jar.) Likewise avoid that risk by having the water below the top of the jars...
He shoots, SWISH!

Last edited:

SnidelyWhiplash

No but from my experience, Coconut oil goes rancid quite quickly. Also, it will not temper into chocolate. Cocoa-butter is "what you use" to make chocolate. Particularly if you are making a couverture. The crap you get at clubs, and likewise if you used coconut is ganache, not tempered chocolate. Thus it melts and is unstable. I am curious how it would come out however with coconut since it is fairly hard. Not near as hard as cocoa butter though...

If you are not making chocolate, go for it! But it will flavor the shit out of your food.

SnidelyWhiplash

Let me take this a step further now. The other night, I took 6.5 grams of good herb flowers, decarbed, then blended them with 100% organic vegetable Glycerine (2 TBSP). I pressure cooked that in a pint jar for 30 minutes then let it cool down naturally overnight.

The next morning I lined a garlic press with cheese cloth and squeezed out some serious thick sticky ganja honey.

The goal was to make ejuice. I am waiting for my Kanger II mini pro tank V2 to sample it that way.

BUT...

HOLY FUCK.

1 drop under my tongue and my pillow feels like paradise. This shit is STRONG!!!!!!!!!!! And I didnt add ANY lethicin yet as this WAS for a ecig....

Last edited:

Will B. Good

Vapesperado
How much do you usually recommend to do at once as a minimum? I've heard some guys burn their oil because they try to make so little.

Will B. Good,

SnidelyWhiplash

That's the reason for having your herb/oil/glycerine sealed in mason jar - thats suspended in water in a pressure cooker. It maintains a constant temperature and is far from the flame. I put a small round cooling rack at the bottom of the pressure cooker, and fill about 4 inches with water. Set your closed jars (with FRESH NEW lids) on the rack. The tincture was nearly submerged but the larger quart jar for the cocoa butter is only halfway submerged. Same difference in the pressure cooker.

Due to the volatility and excess heat compared to other techniques, YOU MUST NOT OPEN THE JAR until it has cooled completely. If you open it before the vapors re-condense, then say bye bye to your thc.

Will B. Good

Vapesperado
I did this twice already. First time without a cooling rack. Second time I thought I could get away with it again. But as soon as the jar touched the bottom of the hot pressure cooker, the thing cracked and I lost everything in the water. Figured since it was a pretty clean crack around the glass that I could just cook it and then strain it. So I made butter tea like the peoples of the Himalayas do, only instead of yak butter and tea leaves I used coconut oil and wasted weed. Not too bad and pretty milky, probably because of the lecithin.

LazyIdol

Have you tried this with just ABV? Im curious b/c I've been saving my ABV since early May and have a significant amount that im trying to figure out what to do with.

SnidelyWhiplash

I have made chocolate with PURE ABV yes. At double proportions, use 2x as much. It is less strong as the fresh, but unquestionably more CBD. My initial reaction was that my pillow felt extra soft, and in the morning I felt super relaxed muscles. I prefer with green equal parts, but nothing to complain about whatsoever about the ABV version.

Breathemetal

Looks like I know what I am going to do with my ABV
Guess I need a pressure cooker now

Breathemetal,

PhilShifley

FYI There are two types of Pressure Cookers on the market today. The first is the original type that sits on a stove-top and needs to be monitored constantly so that it doesn't over-pressurize. This is the kind that Grandma used to make applesauce in while she scares you with stories of these things exploding when left unattended. The other kind of pressure cooker is the Electric Pressure Cooker. It has been a game changer. It is completely safe. I can't attain the high pressures that the stove-top models do, but they don't need to. When set to High, they are in the 12 lb/sq inch which is way less pressure than the 15 lb/sq in that the stove-tops reach. There are a lot of the Electric Pressure Cookers out there but I recommend the Instant Pot (what an appropriate name) and it works like a charm. I may start a thread about decarbing in a pressure cooker if folks are interested.

CurryLeafTreehugger

I wonder if the pressure cooker itself makes a difference (since out of 7-8 batches I haven't had a break yet). I mean pressure cookers are meant to be used for canning...

This is mine: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-8-Quart...d=1384297049&sr=8-15&keywords=pressure+cooker

(10 quart)

Only SOME pressure cookers are meant to be used for canning. Yours is not - it maxes out at 13.5 psi and most canning recipes expect 15psi (a few are for 20 psi).

Also when we can in our ginormous dial equipped canners, we have a large metal basket of sorts that we set down into the water with the glass jars in it - and we don't set cold glass jars into a hot pressure cooker. You put everything in cold, seal it up, and bring it to pressure, etc. It's the shock of cold glass against hot metal that causes the breakage. If you've been doing that and have not experienced breakage, you've been lucky (and append a "yet" to that idea, right after "breakage").

Also coconut oil is very stable and long lasting - if you get the sort that's been filtered until it no longer smells of coconut. I can't stand anything about coconut but I can bear this stuff.

FYI There are two types of Pressure Cookers on the market today. The first is the original type that sits on a stove-top and needs to be monitored constantly so that it doesn't over-pressurize. This is the kind that Grandma used to make applesauce in while she scares you with stories of these things exploding when left unattended. The other kind of pressure cooker is the Electric Pressure Cooker. It has been a game changer. It is completely safe. I can't attain the high pressures that the stove-top models do, but they don't need to. When set to High, they are in the 12 lb/sq inch which is way less pressure than the 15 lb/sq in that the stove-tops reach. There are a lot of the Electric Pressure Cookers out there but I recommend the Instant Pot (what an appropriate name) and it works like a charm. I may start a thread about decarbing in a pressure cooker if folks are interested.

Dude, you post twice, get my hopes all up, then you disappear.

'sup? Did your IP explode? LOL!

Seriously I just got an IP Ultra - it has temperature control which the original IPs didn't, they just had the pre-programmed cycles. I can set this for anything between 104F and 208F, plus all the pre-programmed ranges. I can do sous vide in this.

The pre-programmed settings that I know are:

Slow cook mode(no pressure):
Less mode: 82~87.8°C/180~190°F
Normal mode: 87.8~93°C/190~200°F
More mode: 93~99°C/200~210°F

Yogurt function(no pressure): up to 99 hours 30 minutes.
Less: 30 ~ 34°C (86 ~ 93.2°F);
Normal: 36 ~ 43°C (96.8 ~ 109.4°F);
More: 71~83°C (160~180°F)

Keep Warm function(no pressure): 63 - 78°C (145 ~ 172°F);

Sauté function (no pressure):
Low: 135 -150°C (275 -302°F);
Med: 160 -176°C (320 -349°F);
High: 175 - 210°C (347-410°F)

Low pressure is 5.8 - 7.2 PSI
High pressure is 10.2 - 11.6 PSI

Temperature ranges under pressure depend on your elevation.

Or as I said I can select a temp from 104F to 208F and it will maintain that +/- 2F - with no pressure.

I have to wonder if that's sufficient control to temper chocolate.

Is anybody working with an Instant Pot?

Top Bottom