Power butane killing my lighters?

I know there's some rumors about Power causing lighter problems, and I've noticed alot of bullshit out of my three or four inexpensive, DX-type jet torches. This has only happened within the last two fillings which have been with Power butane. I'm a little concerned, although it may just be coincidence; these are cheap lighters and aren't meant to last forever. I'd previously been using Colibri or Lenk. I'm worried since I've also put it into a very nice Blazer GB-somesuch torch.

Anyone have a similar experience?

charliedontsurf,

max

Out to lunch
I received a free can of Power butane recently, but haven't used any of it. I have a huge supply of Vector fuel, and that's all I've been using. Your post is making me think I should leave the Power can unused. I did notice it's x times refined-I want to say 5 x, but can't remember for sure and it's at home. You'd think that any butane x refined would be OK. Why bother with refining multiple times if you're not going to achieve high quality? Maybe they're taking shortcuts in the refining, or just not being truthful? :shrug:

max,

djonkoman

you could try a trick I've heard for determining of butane is suitable for BHO, spray some on a mirror and see of it leaves residu when it evaporates

djonkoman,
Power identifies itself as 5X. Some people I recall, on this forum, in threads I conveniently don't recall right now :lol: have said that the super-refined stuff can actually clog your torches, while the lesser refined but still somewhat refined stuff won't! I have to take off right now IRL or I would take the time to try and find those posts.

charliedontsurf,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
Something of note about the way butane is manufactured:

Almost all the commercial butane produced is made in one of two factories in South Korea... It's a byproduct of the petroleum industry, and the filtering process is as follows:

The butane is passed through adsorptive filter media - that is, the media absorbs the contaminants, but allows the butane to pass. Each filter only targets one type of contaminant - anything else present passes through. It's not a distillation in any sense of the term - distillation filters heavier molecules, while adsorptive filtration takes out molecules physically smaller than the target.

What that means is that pretty much all butane has a bunch of paraffin waxes left over, floating around inside it. Even Vector, which is the best tasting for BHO purposes, can leave a huge amount of residue when you evaporate an entire bottle, depending on the batch (I can attest to that personally). Sometimes it's a crap shoot, but generally you're better off with the more expensive brands of butane... other than that, well... the rest is up to luck!

gn0me,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
gn0me said:
Something of note about the way butane is manufactured:

Almost all the commercial butane produced is made in one of two factories in South Korea... It's a byproduct of the petroleum industry, and the filtering process is as follows:

The butane is passed through adsorptive filter media - that is, the media absorbs the contaminants, but allows the butane to pass. Each filter only targets one type of contaminant - anything else present passes through. It's not a distillation in any sense of the term - distillation filters heavier molecules, while adsorptive filtration takes out molecules physically smaller than the target.

What that means is that pretty much all butane has a bunch of paraffin waxes left over, floating around inside it. Even Vector, which is the best tasting for BHO purposes, can leave a huge amount of residue when you evaporate an entire bottle, depending on the batch (I can attest to that personally). Sometimes it's a crap shoot, but generally you're better off with the more expensive brands of butane... other than that, well... the rest is up to luck!
Hey Calen ! + 1 on that.. I will never again use butane for BHO or inhale its exhaust ..... I could always taste those waxes you were speaking off.. And recently have evaporated whole bottle with 5x filtered and there was nice smelly toxic layer there for me to scrape .. LOL.. Also having in mind that there are cheaper and purer solvents like ethyl alcohol ..
Anyway to the topic of clogs .. Well i found it best to use propane-butane mixture 30%/70% (this is what i use..atm) .. I doesn't clogs so far..
I have lost many torches ... anyway.. i dissasebled many.. I've narrowed down that the clogging problem is mostly due to the connector sleeve from the gas tank to the sprayer . .which often happens to be made of rubbery material .. which is not much heat resistant.. i wasn't meant for long sessions.. + heat reflecting off the heated are is doing damage too..

Abysmal Vapor,

SD_haze

BHO aside, I've been using power butane in my Honest torches for a few months and didn't notice any problems compared to vector.

It was almost 1/3rd the price too.

SD_haze,
Top Bottom