Pot is the opposite of Medical Marijuana

Cosmic Dude

Pot makes everything more intense. That is what is meant by "getting high". When you go to a concert and "smoke pot", you do so to make the music more intense - as well as all the other sense impressions at the concert. Pot makes you paranoid - why? - because it makes getting arrested more intense, and it makes getting beaten up in a dark alley more intense. So, it increases the fear of bad things happening, which we call "paranoia" and "anxiety".

Medical marijuana makes everything less intense. It makes the pain in one's leg from the shrapnel from the IED less intense, it makes PTSD less intense, it makes stress and anxiety less intense.

Most people want medical marijuana and have never even heard of what I am calling "pot". People talk about "getting high" but what they really mean is getting anesthetized - which is fine, if that is what you need.

Medical marijuana is Afghan Kush, which originated just down the road from opium fields.

Indica is medical marijuana. Today's Sativas are "coffee that you smoke", they don't get you high - they are for going to work or doing chores.

The only "pot "available today is strains that contain landrace sativas that are dominant, generally either Haze or Chemdawg. Usually you find those mixed with lots of Afghani Kush, e.g. "Sour Diesel" or "Blue Dream". The only real pot I've found recently is Lamb's Bread (Jamaican, aka "Lamb's Breath").

Corporate cannabis hates pot. The best example is Canndescent, who have eliminated strain names altogether in favor of pharmaceutical names "Calm" "Connect" "Cruise" "Charge". "You don't need information, just trust us, we're experts at vacuuming your wallet."

Cosmic Dude,

Baron23

Pot makes everything more intense. That is what is meant by "getting high". When you go to a concert and "smoke pot", you do so to make the music more intense - as well as all the other sense impressions at the concert. Pot makes you paranoid - why? - because it makes getting arrested more intense, and it makes getting beaten up in a dark alley more intense. So, it increases the fear of bad things happening, which we call "paranoia" and "anxiety".

Medical marijuana makes everything less intense. It makes the pain in one's leg from the shrapnel from the IED less intense, it makes PTSD less intense, it makes stress and anxiety less intense.

Most people want medical marijuana and have never even heard of what I am calling "pot". People talk about "getting high" but what they really mean is getting anesthetized - which is fine, if that is what you need.

Medical marijuana is Afghan Kush, which originated just down the road from opium fields.

Indica is medical marijuana. Today's Sativas are "coffee that you smoke", they don't get you high - they are for going to work or doing chores.

The only "pot "available today is strains that contain landrace sativas that are dominant, generally either Haze or Chemdawg. Usually you find those mixed with lots of Afghani Kush, e.g. "Sour Diesel" or "Blue Dream". The only real pot I've found recently is Lamb's Bread (Jamaican, aka "Lamb's Breath").

Corporate cannabis hates pot. The best example is Canndescent, who have eliminated strain names altogether in favor of pharmaceutical names "Calm" "Connect" "Cruise" "Charge". "You don't need information, just trust us, we're experts at vacuuming your wallet."
Can't say I agree with almost anything in your post.

But....we are all allowed to differ so march on, man...march on.

Cosmic Dude

Much, if not most, of the current cannabis culture is unscientific nonsense. It's generated by the combination of prohibition and the vast sums of money created by prohibition.

A great example are those temperature charts you find on the web sites of vape companies or commercial organizations like Leafly.

First off, the temperatures are just copies from textbooks and sites about extracting concentrates. The problem is that they are for distillation purposes and so are "under vacuum". The room pressure boiling point of THC is about 425 degrees F, much higher than the temp shown in the charts.

Second, the boiling point is of a liquid (such as a solvent used to make concentrate). A solid cannabis plant is a complex structure containing active compounds in various parts, bound together by fibers and other substances Putting hot air onto it will not vaporize everything immediately that has a boiling point at that temperature.

Third, I don't remember ever seeing a reviewer measure the temperature in the chamber of a vaporizer. And if it reads "400" then is it 400 everywhere in the chamber?

Lastly, a web search comes up with more than one study that indicates that setting vapes to lower temperatures does not vaporize only some compounds, but instead is just less efficient. The fact that you can then vape the same bowl over and over and over again - and still get something - should be a clue. So, when you set to 330, you are just getting less of everything, which has less of an effect, which you are interpreting as "only one terpene".

That's just one example. A lot of it reminds me of the Vitamin and Supplement industry - a few very good discoveries, mixed with a lot of commercially inspired nonsense. I remember when all the rage was a particular supplement which was marketed as "the most prevalent substance in your body". It didn't take people long to figure out that if it was the most prevalent substance, then why would you possibly need a supplement? :)

Cosmic Dude,

howie105

I think what the user brings to the drug is just as important as the drug.

shredder

The effects from vaping mj, or whatever you call it, are the plant's attempt to get the user to do its bidding. You scratch my back, i scratch yours. And we happily spend our time and treasure to satisfy the plants every need. We worship the plant, we nurture it, we do this because we can't not do this. It's a simbiotic relationship that started when both our species were developing. Blame biology or god. Ever notice we have cannabinoid receptors? We have no defense. Resistance is futile, you will assimilate!!!

Last edited:

Cosmic Dude

To be clear, I am only identifying general trends. Like in everything else, there are lots of exceptions.

At this point, the genetics of "strains" has gotten way out of hand - Leafly lists almost 3,000 strains - and almost everything at the local dispensary is not listed among the 3,000. :) It seems every grower is reluctant to grow any of the strains that people liked before - they have to come up with a new strain instead. :)

So, that leads to some fortuitous accidents like Gorilla Glue #4 (that has Thai in the genetics of 4 out of the 5 parents or grandparents).

But the real "getting high" seems to be invisible to the commercial world - not surprising, in hindsight. This is the same "high" that you can reach with various mental practices as well.

Cosmic Dude,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time

...so when people say their getting 'medicated' they don't mean they are getting high???

...weed is weed imo, your intent (rec or med use) is up to the individual...

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Cannabis is medicine, there are a number of ways it can benefit you whether you know it, like it, or not. Aren't recreational users self medicating anyway?

Indicas or broad leaf varities are known for their narcotic effect, used by patients for sleep or pain relief.

Sativas or narrow leaf varities are known for their uplifting and euophoric effect, used by patients for ADD and pain relief.

Hybrids are just a mix of the two, and generally will have some sort of balance to the effects, these varieties tend to be the most popular as far as I can tell and a big reason why pain sufferers get relief from all strains is because THC is an anti-inflammatory. Notice how all varieties will relieve headaches?

Terpenes play a role, ever whiff some pure linalool? It is a relaxant. Very common terpene in indica varieties.

You can just about pick your medicine by your nose, if that's not simbiotic IDK what is?

Baron23

Well, I didn't agree with your first post, then your second post (below) is on a very different topic.

I do agree with you that those temp charts bouncing around the net are completely misleading and are applied by people well beyond their significance.

At one time a couple of years ago I put a lot of effort in trying to track down the origin of some of the numbers in these temp charts.

You are absolutely right that none of these tables are based on first hand science. They seem to be derived from one or two studies that ALSO were not first hand science but rather a compendium of results from individual experiments on individual compounds.

I did manage to track down some of the original work via footnotes in the summary study and found that yes, most were done in a vacuum...but some were done at sea level of a standard atmosphere (29.92" of mercury). And this is all mixed up together.

Also, the original science was done on pure samples of the compounds in question, not the complex mix of compounds in a plant material matrix which is what most of us vape.

To me, trying to selectively extract based on these tables is misguided...it won't work. The best that I have come up with after all of that reading....and its really based more on my personal experience...is that lower temps tend to provide more heady highs and higher temps more sedative....in general....broadly speaking....depending on a lot of other factors also....etc, etc, etc. hahaha

First off, the temperatures are just copies from textbooks and sites about extracting concentrates. The problem is that they are for distillation purposes and so are "under vacuum". The room pressure boiling point of THC is about 425 degrees F, much higher than the temp shown in the charts.

Second, the boiling point is of a liquid (such as a solvent used to make concentrate). A solid cannabis plant is a complex structure containing active compounds in various parts, bound together by fibers and other substances Putting hot air onto it will not vaporize everything immediately that has a boiling point at that temperature.

Papa Woody

"The vapor is strong with this one"-Obi Onda Woody
I don’t care much about what temperature I’m vaping at because my log vapes do not have a temperature readout on them. I care about what voltage works for me to get me where I want to go...
So, using that as a concept, it doesn’t really matter what your temperature readout says on your vape. What does matter is whether your vape is getting the job done. It’s up to you to find your sweet spot.

Top Bottom