Post butter questions

Khantagious

Hi everybody, thanks to this great forum, I got lots of great advice for my first ever ABV -> Cannabutter prep

I have two questions, but first I figured I should share my method. Feel free to skip my method and just look at the questions, at the bottom of this post.

I followed a hybrid of the Sam Jackson method and some other methods I saw in this and other online discussions. I used 40g of ABV; all originally very high quality herbs, vaped using a heat-gun vriptech setup, and all vaped knowing that the ABV would be cooked (so I wasn't trying to squeeze out every last bit of goods while vaping; I was happy to leave plenty behind for later extraction). I simmered the 40g and two sticks of butter along with about a pint of water in a double-boiler for a few hours, then strained it through a cheesecloth into a large (quart-size) pyrex measuring cup. After a few hours of refrigeration, the butter and water were well separated. I discarded all the dirty water, put in another cup or so of clean water, and put the pyrex container directly into a pot of water which I then proceeded to boil (don't put the pyrex directly into boiling water from the fridge, even pyrex can't take the shock from that rapid of thermal expansion). I used a wire whisk to mix up the liquid, then put it back in the fridge to separate again. I repeated this process several times until the water would come out perfectly clear, though the butter still maintained a deep green hue. In the end, I have about 3/4 cup (one and a half sticks) of very delicious looking clarified ABV butter.

Questions:

1. I started with two sticks of butter (16 tablespoons) and I now have one and a half sticks (12 tablespoons). Is this yield of about 75% pretty decent, or does it mean there was a lot of butter that I did not manage to squeeze out of the cheesecloth? With 40g of ABV in the cheesecloth, it felt like there was always more to squeeze out, but at a certain point it felt like I was barely getting any more. Maybe next time, at that point, I will open up the cheesecloth, grab out about half of the ABV, stick it in a fresh piece of cheese cloth, then continue to squeeze, then do the same with the other half of the ABV

2. With 40g of ABV going into two, now one and a half, sticks of butter, what kind of dosage should I expect to get from resulting baked goods? I know that the only way to know is to actually try, I'm hoping some people with more experience in this are would be so bold as to make some estimates. Let's say, hypothetically, that I take 4 tablespoons of butter (half a stick worth), and combine that with 4 tablespoons of regular butter (for one stick total), then use that to bake 24 cookies. Should I expect people to feel the effects from just one cookie? Or would people need to eat several in order to feel anything? Again, I know there is no way of knowing the answer to this until I try it, but if people can share their experiences translating grams of ABV -> sticks of butter -> number of cookies, it would give me a better idea of what to shoot for

Khantagious,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
This is a real interesting twist to the method in the Samuel Jackson thread. Changing out the water intrigues me and I will be interested in hearing your results.

For your first question, this is a good result. You will never get all the butter back that you started with. One thing you can do with that cheesecloth full of goodies is this (post 17):

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1616

Sorry, I still haven't figured out how to direct link to a post. :rolleyes:

As far as strength, I would think that one cookie should be plenty. Might even want to start with 1/2. It's hard to tell how strong they will be, and it depends on how buzzed you want to get. If you lick the spatula when you are baking and get a buzz, that's a good indication that they are strong. :lol:

momofthegoons,

Khantagious

Hi, mom, thanks for the reply. I got the idea for changing out the water from this tutorial here, where the poster explains nicely how the liquid-liquid extraction works (polar hydrocarbons bond to polar water molecules, while non-polar cannabinoid resins bond to the non-polar lipid molecules). Supposedly, if you do it enough times, you can wash the herb flavor away altogether, but I didn't want to do that, as I actually enjoy the taste in food.

I wish I had seen that recipe for dulce de leche before I began; I will definitely have to do it next time around (I already tossed out the stuff from this time :()

I will post a report once I do get a chance to test out the potency, but I appreciate your estimate of 1/2 to 1 cookie being a good starting dose to test. Now that I think about it, I realize I could do a back-of-the-napkin calculation, figuring, if I used 40 grams of ABV, and I plan to take 1/3 of my yield and make two dozen cookies, then each cookie would contain extract from 5/9 of a gram (0.5555... g) of ABV.

I'm pretty sure my butter preparation provided just about as good of an extraction as possible with the limits that method. So now the main variable is how much was extracted during vaporization, and that is something that I will have to test to find out. I am only a recent vapor convert (this 40 g of ABV was my entire collection since I switched from combustion to vaping earlier this year). I believe the particular vaporization method I am using (heatgun + vriptech glass) is one that generally extracts a lot of the active compounds. But, at the same time, I am not generally going for the fullest extraction while vaping, in part because I want to save some for the cooking, so I just vape off the really tasty part, at a temperature that is probably on the low side of the spectrum, then toss the rest in a jar for later.

Also, if you want to post a link directly to a particular post, you grab the link from the date and time that is on the upper left of the post, so for example, the link to the dulce de leche post would be
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=59945#p59945

Khantagious,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for the help with linking Khantagious. :D

The thing with edibles is that the strength always seems to vary. Because of that, my last batch that I made for me personally, had kief in it, which was a mistake. I had a horrible experience. Overdoing edibles can be a very scary experience. That's why I urge caution. Now, it may turn out that you find you can eat several of these cookies at one time. It depends on how your body digests and metabolizes them. If you are new to edibles, I just suggest going slow until you know what you like. If you are not new to edibles, well, have fun! :lol:

And congratulations on your conversion to vapor!

Khantagious

Indeed, I have seen some people get pretty messed up on edibles. Fortunately for me, I am not new to eating (or making, for that matter, but it has been at least 10 years since I have cooked any myself) the ganja edibles. In the past, when I've eaten too much, it makes me very sleepy, even through the next day, but I don't get freaked out by the severe mind alteration.

I still haven't gotten around to baking my cookies yet (weather too nice this weekend to stay indoors in the kitchen) but I will give a report here once I do

Khantagious,
Reactions: macbill

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Another butter question...

How long can green butter be stored and what's the best way? Is it ok to freeze? Is it best to cook something and store that?

J.R.R.Tokin',

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think the consensus is freezing your butter/medibles is actually the preferred method of storage.

FWIW - I did a ABV extraction similar to yours (just much lazier and less scientific).

I did 36.8g of lightly toasted/topshelf ABV and tossed it in the crock pot w/ 4 sticks of butter and some water. Cooked for ~8 hours and 'loosely' strained it through the cheesecloth. (Woke the house up with the smell and got in trouble) Im not sure how much butter I yielded, but Im sure I added WAY too much to my brownie recipe - that in conjunction with a WHOLE bag of creme de' menthe chips. It was SO minty that opening the oven to look in on them made my eyes burn. (Seriously) I had to cook them for a bit longer than anticipated, and they looked like they were almost 'frying' around the edges due to all of the excess butter - but after eating one of them I am pleasantly surprised as are everyone else I have shared them with :D

Im sure your butter will be PLENTY strong :o

Enjoy!

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Thanks AG, freezing it is then.

I used pretty much the same method as you AG. Slow cooker, mix of shake and AVB. 2 sticks of unsalted butter, 4 cups of water. Low setting for 8 hours. Strained and squeezed using a potato ricer.

Not baked with it yet, but will bake brownies later today. I'll post tomorrow to let you know how they came out.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Tills

Vapor Enthusiast
Yes Freeze any left over butter. I lost about a stick of butter due to mold while it was in the fridge.

Tills,

stack2006

Another butter question...

How long can green butter be stored and what's the best way? Is it ok to freeze? Is it best to cook something and store that?
We store ours in the cannaware butter stick mold. Just google it. It molds 1 pound butter into 4 standard sticks with tablespoon marks and has an airtight lid. Stores right in the fridge. I tried one because the wife didnt like the smell in her fridge.

stack2006,
Reactions: Seren

tepictoton

If possible use coco oil...will do a better job then butter for sure...

I used butter for many years untill I discovered coco oil...will never look back...

tepictoton,

stack2006

We store ours in the cannaware butter stick mold. Just google it. It molds 1 pound butter into 4 standard sticks with tablespoon marks and has an airtight lid. Stores right in the fridge. I tried one because the wife didnt like the smell in her fridge.
If possible use coco oil...will do a better job then butter for sure...

I used butter for many years untill I discovered coco oil...will never look back...

Gotta check it out. Using the same method at butter?

stack2006,

tepictoton

yes you can,

but if you really want to educate yourself and get to know the details check out:
badkittysmiles (google it)
skunkpharmresearch (googly googly :-))

both are a treasure of information...

tepictoton,
Top Bottom