Possible Vaporizer Design

Carson

Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to this site so I'm not sure if this has been proposed before by someone else. I tried searching for it but nothing came up when I did.
Anyways my idea is to turns a travel mug into a portable and desktop vaporizer. The design would essentially be three parts, the bottom (heating element and bowl), the middle (largest section where the pathway and batteries would be housed), and the top or lid (which would have the mouthpiece, power button, and the temperature controls). All the parts would screw together to make one travel mug unit. The vapor path would go up the center of the mug and be made of glass. Surrounding the vapor path in the middle part of the unit would be a bank of batteries that is insulated from the heat of the vapor. I'm not positive about how many batteries the unit could hold but it would be way more than most other portable vaporizers on the market, giving it an amazing battery life. Also I plan for the batteries to be user changeable, or at the least, easily accessible. The mouth piece would resemble that of a sippy cup type set up. Overall the unit would rely as much on convection as possible, but an element of conduction would still be present. The unit would have the temperature control settings on the lid as well, so that it would look like a travel mug to anyone but the user. Below is a general idea of what it would look like.

mug-steel-rubber-grip-straw-tumbler-KW2509GC.jpg

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
The MiniVap has a form factor close to what you're describing. It has a 2" diameter, maybe a little small for most cupholders?

nopartofme,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Concept sounds good to me, but you should still gauge demand before moving forward.

OO,

Carson

yeah it looks almost like an arizer solo to me. I guess the big difference would be my design would look exactly like a travel mug in dimensions for the most part, making it much more stealthy; not to mention i'd try to keep it in the $250 range tops.

I also forgot to mention before that the unit would come with 2 tops. One for personal use with the sippy cup type mouthpiece, and the second would be for a whip or to attach it to another glass piece if you wanted. The last thing I forgot was my charger design. The design would be pretty much a cup holder that the unit would sit it in, allowing it to be used as a desktop type vape as well as a portable. The size of my design would allow for a top quality vapor to be produce and still give plenty of battery life while on the go. Then the large size is compensated for by the stealth design. Personally I'd rather have somebody see me with this than another vape that is just small. I wouldn't even have to worry about people watching me take a hit if the temp was low.

Carson,

onebelo

i find this design very cool but would weight become an issue? also smell and cleaning.

onebelo,

Kief

Medicated
I would buy something like this as long as only high quality inert materials are used for the air and vapor paths.

Kief,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I would buy something like this as long as only high quality inert materials are used for the air and vapor paths.
I take issue with this comment, because many on this board seem to think that glass is the only material which fits this bill, when in fact there are many materials which fit.

OO,
Reactions: OF

Carson

I'd keep it to glass path if possible but if there is anything else in the path it would be perfectly safe. I'd probably be the products biggest user and I certainly wouldn't put my or my customers health at risk.

And as for the weight, it would be a little on the heavier side of portables, but no more than your usual travel mug filled with coffee i would think. The screw together piece design also allows for a more airtight unit, not to mention you could easily add on things to close off the path, meaning it would smell like any other portable, maybe even less. The cleaning would be easy, the 3 things that would require cleaning would just be the bowl, the tube/screen through the middle (removable), and the mouthpiece.

Carson,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I'd keep it to glass path if possible but if there is anything else in the path it would be perfectly safe. I'd probably be the products biggest user and I certainly wouldn't put my or my customers health at risk.

And as for the weight, it would be a little on the heavier side of portables, but no more than your usual travel mug filled with coffee i would think. The screw together piece design also allows for a more airtight unit, not to mention you could easily add on things to close off the path, meaning it would smell like any other portable, maybe even less. The cleaning would be easy, the 3 things that would require cleaning would just be the bowl, the tube/screen through the middle (removable), and the mouthpiece.
for keeping the smell down, you could use a ball style check valve. This would keep excess vapor from exiting (convection). The downside is it would need to be cleaned frequently, unless it was on the intake side.

OO,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Thanks for the input! It sounds like it would be a good idea to put in
No problem, If you do put it on the intake side, put it as close to the heat exchanger as possible, that way conduction is lessened to the greatest extent.

OO,

Kief

Medicated
I take issue with this comment, because many on this board seem to think that glass is the only material which fits this bill, when in fact there are many materials which fit.
I do not understand the issue that you take... I did not say it had to be glass. I thought I covered the "many materials" when I didn't specify one. Perhaps the discussion of "what is inert" belongs elsewhere?

The point of my comment was to potentially defer someone from using plastics, mica, rubber, low quality metals, etc... in the intake air and vapor paths of a vaporizer. There are plenty of these materials that are "safe" to use in a vaporizer, but that does not mean that they will not give off some sort of taste or smell to at least some people... like me.

Kief,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Yeah I think most people choose glass for the superior taste. While there are other inert materials that can be used, there is no denying that glass far exceeds others in the taste department. My ssv was amazing in taste and i didnt think it could get much better...until i got the vivape which blew it away in the taste department.

Mynameismud,

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Between the Cera and what I hear of the Minivap, I think there now exists excellent working proof that you can attain a high quality inert vapor path exhibiting superb flavor without having to use glass. For a portable I think it makes sense to consider these alternative materials, in the interest of durability.

nopartofme,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I think that there was no battery in the incognito unit although..

Abysmal Vapor,

OO

Technical Skeptical
I do not understand the issue that you take... I did not say it had to be glass. I thought I covered the "many materials" when I didn't specify one. Perhaps the discussion of "what is inert" belongs elsewhere?

The point of my comment was to potentially defer someone from using plastics, mica, rubber, low quality metals, etc... in the intake air and vapor paths of a vaporizer. There are plenty of these materials that are "safe" to use in a vaporizer, but that does not mean that they will not give off some sort of taste or smell to at least some people... like me.
Why I take issue is this.
Yeah I think most people choose glass for the superior taste. While there are other inert materials that can be used, there is no denying that glass far exceeds others in the taste department.
Which is to say that glass affects the flavor no differently than other materials of similar reactivity.

It's unfortunate that the general population only thinks of glass when they hear...

high quality inert materials

I'm not saying you said anything wrong, just that the way you said it, the common mind would interpret it wrongly.
My apologies if I made you think you said something incorrectly, that is not the case.

I think that there was no battery in the incognito unit although..
That was the major issue with it, yes.

OO,

Carson

Okay well if I get enough feedback hearing the people would want it then I'll get together with some of my other engineering buds here and get working on it. Wouldn't be a bad job for some college kids if you ask me haha

Carson,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I think that this is a pretty cool idea but for me it would depend entirely on the apparatus you plan on using to make it into a vaporizer. If you can implement a "log vape" style, battery powered vaporizer that does not get to hot or heavy would make me immediately interested.

onebelo

If you did make a vape like this I would definitely be interested in buying it as long as the price isn't too high. It would have to be competitive with other portable prices.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I really like this concept. Agree with CentiZen in that more information is needed on ideas of internal workings of the concept. The water bottle disguise seems to fill many users cognito needs and would provide some storage for stash and support apparatus. Many possibilities for sure.
Go Carson go.
Keep us up on your progress and we will help where we can.
:tup:

Pipes,
Top Bottom