Portable convection, high vapour quality a priority

balarama

Hi FC people, i'm new to vaping but already got burned once. Last month i bought an Arizer Air which turned out to be a counterfeit unit so i returned it and now want to get the best portable vaporization experience.

My priority is top quality vapour so I think convection is a must.
The vapes with most appeal to me are the Air, Grasshopper and Alfa which is conduction vape. Exchanging batteries are great but not a must.
My budget is max 250€(living in EU) and want to order asap.

So any pros and cons or any other product you know of? Post them here please and help me make up my mind.

Thanks

balarama,

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Portanle convection leaves only a few choices.

Grasshopper .. great stealth unit more of a one hitter style vape. Vapour is hot due to short airpath.

Firefly 2. Just released

Milana . Just released

Firewood 3 . I believe is convection. Not sure if they ship to eu?

Esv. Not too popular a bit finicky from what ive read.

I think thats all the portable convection vapes available atm.

The mighty is a great vape a hybrid of conductio and convection and seems a little more basic than the vapes listed above. But it is tried and tested and delivers. The vapour quality is excellent. And its very newb friendly.

VapourHaze,
Reactions: Vaponly

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Convection does not equal good vapour quality, It just helps a bit.

I wouldn't disregard the Mighty because it's a Hybrid. It produces some really tasty vapour and the flavour seems to last through the whole bowl. It cooks everything very evenly and the only learning curve there is, is getting the bowl packing right. Not too loose, not too tight.

Tommy10

Hammer is a great tasting portable convection if you can deal with butane, otherwise if you can accept convectionish the mighty Vapor quality surprised the hell out of me! Very nice indeed.

Tommy10,

lwien

You guys are suggesting the Mighty but it's out of his price range.

While I too much prefer convection over conduction, it's pretty pricey to develop a conduction based portable.

LOVE my Mini but that too is out of your price range but it is 100% convection using their teflon core. Worth a look if you can stretch your finances a bit.

RelaxedNow

The first 4 vaporizers I bought were all convection, as I was convinced that conduction wasn't for me. Then, I tried a friend's Mighty, and found that my issue was mostly with temperatures, rather than convection versus conduction (of course, Mighty is a hybrid of the two, but certainly conduction later in the session, IMO). Realizing this, I became somewhat interested in the Mighty, but the cost and many reports of failures scared me off.

I ended up buying a CFX, which is also a hybrid, though Im sure most would say it leans more heavily toward conduction than the Mighty. At a list price of $180 US ($160 as a FC member), it can't be beat for value. It provides plenty of vapor, tastes pretty darn good, and is relatively efficient in its use of herbs. I've had it for a little over one week, so I can't attest to its durability yet, but so far it's been flawless. I haven't been tracking my usage in any detail, but the batteries are holding enough charge to last me all day and evening.

Here's the CFX thread; http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/boundless-cfx-vaporizer.20584/ You'll see a lot of discussion regarding the convection versus conduction issue, but it seems the detractors, as far as I can tell, haven't actually purchased a unit.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying the CFX is the ultimate portable. However, I feel it does provide a good compromise between price, build quality (so far), efficiency, and vapor quality.

RelaxedNow,
Reactions: Vaponly

balarama

Yes, sadly the mighty is overbudget, but i just found out the crafty for around 250€ on amazon.
Sounds like a great deal.

The grasshopper is so far my first choice but i rather ask here if some experienced users help me put things into better perspective.

The firewood is a nice vape but i want to order within EU so no-go.
What about the mini vaporizer, can't find this one...

balarama,

MinnBobber

You might want to consider the Haze V3. Check out their thread. It has two chambers and nice removable battery setup. Very solid build AND a 10 year warranty which is almost unheard of in the vape industry.
If you have any questions on it, @scottg402 from Haze is on this forum and is very helpful.

MinnBobber,

chimpybits

Yes, sadly the mighty is overbudget, but i just found out the crafty for around 250€ on amazon.

The grasshopper is so far my first choice but i rather ask here if some experienced users help me put things into better perspective.

The firewood is a nice vape but i want to order within EU so no-go.
What about the mini vaporizer, can't find this one...
lwien is referring to the MiniVap. Thread: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/minivap-vaporizer.1589/

darbarikanada

i just found out the crafty for around 250€ on amazon.

unfortunately, the odds of having battery issues with the crafty are unacceptably high - esp. since it only has a 2 year guarantee. (plenty on the subject on the crafty thread of course...)

darbarikanada,

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I definitely recommend the Grasshopper it's a great personal vape, quick start up, great flavor and big clouds if you want or wisps for discretion.

It's not a party vape though so if you're looking for something at home in a group session crafty and firefly 2 are good options, I've used a crafty it was great, I didn't care for the OG firefly but I hear it's improved.

I have several vapes but the Grasshopper is my go to vape, use it all the time and I love it! It's a wait but it's worth the wait, if I had gotten the Grasshopper first i probably wouldn't even have my other vapes.

balarama

Thanks for the replies,
some of the suggested vapes are over budget so out of question. I like the wooden designs but still GH seems way more durable and has a lifetime warranty which is amazing.
The cheap Crafty is also out of question, don't want to get me another fake vape unit, once was enough:)
So far the grasshopper still looks the best unit for my needs, which is a personal vape with good portability and hopefully reliability.
Boundless vapes seem very nice but i dislike the plastic design and have a feeling i'd need to buy a better unit in few years.
The GH doesn't feel like that, more like a lifetime vape.

Anyway, I'm still open to suggestions, my order will probably be made this week or the next.

Cheers

balarama,
Reactions: ander

balarama

Another question,
can anyone compare the vapour quality between Arizer Air and Grasshopper? Or maybe an Arizer extremeQ vs Gh?
Just to get an idea since i tried the exQ few times.

balarama,

little maggie

What about the dynavap? Cheap. Simple to use. Convection. Good taste. If you check out the dynavap thread you'll see that most who have tried it love it.
The air is very good but will be much like the solo. The solo is also a great lifetime vaporizer and has been around long enough to know how solid it is.
I know you've ruled out the CF because it is plastic but it's a very solid vaporizer. People who have mighty's have compared the two.

Last edited:
little maggie,
Reactions: Stevenski

MoltenTiger

I highly recommend the Grasshopper, although it might be best to pick up an Air or Alfa until the GH can be bought with a reasonable delivery time?
I've heard good things about either other option, but have never tried them so can't compare.

For the most part, I imagine any legit QC passed vape will offer you superior performance to the counterfeit you had :)

PS. I have an EQ, it is slightly modified though (different to stock glass adapters).
What specific aspect of the vapour from the EQ did you notice in your experiences?
I can try and give you a balanced comparison.

From my observations though, the EQ is much less accurate at holding a temp than the GH.
Thick clouds from the EQ are super powerful and quite flavoursome, but they are more "smokey" in consistency to the GH, and the flavour with the GH is noticeably tastier.
Natively, both devices are used very differently. I connect both of my vapes to a glass piece to run through water and really try and maximise cloud production.
The GH is my daily, though I am still happy to own the EQ.

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,

HomeFree

I know convection has it's fanfare, but from what I have experienced I would suggest just getting a good vape that has the qualities you want (budget, good flavor, gives heavy vapor, gives light vapor, does small loads, big loads, batteries or flame powered, reliable, options for accesories, air path, size/portability, temperature range, etc) and call it a day.

I don't discriminate myself. I just like one which meets my needs. It doesn't matter to me if it is convection or conduction. Just how well it suits my needs. By not even giving a hybrid/conduction vape a shot I feel we are limiting ourselves especially with portables.

Try to figure out how much you would use it portable vs. how much you would use it at home. I barely ever use my vapes out of the house. I thought I would more often but it is rare. You might even want a plug in style vape.

Do as much homework as you can before the purchase.

HomeFree,

RelaxedNow

I know convection has it's fanfare, but from what I have experienced I would suggest just getting a good vape that has the qualities you want (budget, good flavor, gives heavy vapor, gives light vapor, does small loads, big loads, batteries or flame powered, reliable, options for accesories, air path, size/portability, temperature range, etc) and call it a day.

I don't discriminate myself. I just like one which meets my needs. It doesn't matter to me if it is convection or conduction. Just how well it suits my needs. By not even giving a hybrid/conduction vape a shot I feel we are limiting ourselves especially with portables.

Try to figure out how much you would use it portable vs. how much you would use it at home. I barely ever use my vapes out of the house. I thought I would more often but it is rare. You might even want a plug in style vape.

Do as much homework as you can before the purchase.

My first 3 vapes that I actually liked were convection (OG Firefly, Herbalizer and ESV). As a result, I was convinced that pure convection was the only way to go. Then I tried a friend's Mighty, and found that it was pretty decent, provided it isn't turned up too high (IDK, something like 360-380 seemed ok). Now I have the CFX, and am liking it. Of course, that's not say I don't prefer the flavor of convection, but hybrids aren't bad either.

RelaxedNow,
Reactions: HomeFree

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Thanks for the replies,
some of the suggested vapes are over budget so out of question. I like the wooden designs but still GH seems way more durable and has a lifetime warranty which is amazing.
I've got three Hoppers and they look durable and kind of are but they definitely wear and tear. All my Hoppers don't really looks as great as some units I've had for longer and one Hopper's back end is breaking and spreading apart. Of course there is a warranty but the Hoppers are definitely not as durable and well designed as they appear. And having to ship units back can get rather costly, I'm just waiting for the other units to get into a little worse condition so I can send them all to be replaced at once. But all of them seem to barely work at times.

I think it would be best to go with the Air, its not as great but reliability and availability and far better.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: Madcap79
Top Bottom