Portable butane refills

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Aside of my LB, all of my portable vapes rely on butane. In general the problem I find is that the fuel tanks of my butane devices aren't big enough to let me leave the house for an unknown time (eg maybe overnight) without taking extra butane to refill.

The Iolite only gives what looks like an impressive 2 hours worth, but that's actually only 2 full bowls of vaping for me, plus heat up time. The torches I use for the VG, VS, Vapbong, Eclipse and Vapman are equally as gas hungry and I can easily get through a tankful in less than a day away. Currently I mostly just have to carry a standard 250mls can of butane, which is hardly stealthy (look like a solvent abuser :ko:) nor convienient.

I'm on the look out for a good portable solution for mini butane refills, and I'm hoping that we could share a bit of knowledge here in this thread.

What I'm really looking for is a refillable mini tank that could hold just a small amount- say 5-10 Iolite/Torch tanks worth- and be easy to carry in a jacket pocket. Maybe like those little metal CO2 cannisters that they use in gas airguns (are they refillable?) but obviously with butane. It woulds have a female part (like the lighter does) on the bottom, and a male part (like the can of gas) on the top.

So could this work? Or are there reasons why not, such as maybe the need to prime/charge the tender with a propellant or something?

Or has it already been done and I just can't find it?

Here are some mini disposable solutions I have found:
dscf0314m.jpg
dscf0315s.jpg

Just got in this mini can by Dunhill. Triple filtered and 'turbo compatible' and in a nice handy 14gm/25ml size that fits right in the pocket. I thought it was the perfect solution when I saw it online, but I haven't used it yet..... I'm worried that they contain too much propellant- it feels like the can is only <10% full, and I've read things about Iolite problems arising from using the last bit of the can, which makes me worried to use this.

I've also seen this from the USA http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2771?zmam=95081377&zmas=1&zmac=6&zmap=BUTANE-MINI :
BUTANE-GAS-LIGHTER-REFILL.jpg

Which says it's good for about 20 lighter refills (18ml / cc), and is dirt cheap. Has anybody tried this? From the pic it looks like the perfect small size and without extra propellant (it's chock full of liquid). If it is, and it's premium quality that won't upset the Iolite/torches, I might try and get some sent over. But obviously even if I can it will be a hassle and can't go via airmail, and so I'll have to get enough to make it worth while. Which is why I'm hoping someone has tested it first!

So, has anybody else found any good ways to refill their butane devices on the move?

Can my refillable refill tank idea be realised?

WatTyler,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Hmmm... not sure about portable tanks but I'll keep eyes open, see what folks say.

I will say that Colibri cans are skinny and small enough to put in a purse and I don't carry a huge purse. I order them by the case for out & about use.

Lo,

djonkoman

I just take an extra jetlighter(for the VG), ofcourse that wouldn't work for the iolite
for me an extra lighter is easy, the lighters I use for my VG are dirtcheap(from dealextreme), and they're even more cheap since I sell them to friends(I noticed that a lot were interested in one when they saw mine) so I can buy them per 5 at once and get a lower price
and then I sell the to friends for a small profit, not much but enough to make the lighters I have myself free

djonkoman,

Vitolo

Vaporist
WatTyler said:
...So, has anybody else found any good ways to refill their butane devices on the move?
Can my refillable refill tank idea be realised?

I have used the 18 cc butane canisters, and they work fine! ( I even have found a way to use a jumbo canister to "force' butane into the small refiller , but they are so cheap that that is irrelavent.
In the Walgreens Liquor Dept. they sell the item you showed
They also sell the same for even LESS in those 99 stores (3 for 99)
18cc.jpg

If you want to force refill a small canister do it outdoors, holding the small one nozzle up. Place the larger one nozzle down directly above. Use a table for leverage and make the best seal you can.Nozzle to nozzle, with no connectors push down, making sure that both nozzles are being depressed at once. There will be leakage in the form of sidespray. Stop and wait after a time, as the smaller canisters valve will freeze.. then resume.
As long as larger canister was full, you will be able to force about 3/4 of a small canister to fill.
There will be waste, but that is the cost of convenience!

Vitolo,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^^^ Sweet, cheers for that info Vitolo. On that basis I'm gonna get some, and even if its not premium butane I can give refilling the can MacGyver style with the good stuff a go. I'm in the UK so unfortunately can't take advantage of the great value deals you guys have. In fact I still can't find them available for retail in the UK- but they are here- I've found an online wholesaler, but the minimum order is 30. That would be a lot of butane :lol:. Managed to find 3 cans on sale on ebay from Tel Aviv of all places. Poor value ($7), but 3 should do me.

EDIT: knowing that refilling is possible in principle, I'm now thinking whether it might be easier (as in it might loose less during the transfer/get more full) with an snug adaptor to go from the full big premium can into the receiving cans valve. Did you try Vitolo? I've got so many old can adaptors there's bound to be one that fits snugly, either as male or female.

WatTyler,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I don't know of the shipping requirements of these sites, but you might check them out.
.49 per can Lot of 20 $9.80
http://www.usaless.net/trsibu18.html

box of 12 for 8.99
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/zizo205/items/Lot_of_12_New_Quality_Butane_Refills_18cc__Free_Shipping
for more, google 18cc butane
yes snugging adapters do help if you have the right ones. I have tried , and found some that helped, but usually wind up going metal to metal.
Remember that you are forcing butane backwards through a safety valve, that was meant to go in the out direction only. For this reason, if you suddenly feel a good flow going it will likely mean that the valve is frozen, and you may lose what you have in there. So.. I do it in short spurts (the can of greatest volume will always push hardest) At 3/4 full, the smaller canister will begin to resist- you are done. The clear ones have the benefit of seeing your butane. One you have 1/2 to 3/4 full it is wise to stop , as further filling could make you lose some of what you have!

Vitolo,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Wow- loads more results than I got with the search for 18 ml butane. The size and diversity of the US retail market never fails to amaze me. Take one product available here and there're half a dozen different versions available in the US, all with different 'bells and whistles' on. It's like lweins/herbgirls kettle they wrote about a while ago that gets just below boiling. I'm a tea till I die Englishman; up to 8 cups a day and it must be good, and I've never heard of these kettles. So I had a look online and sure enough, it seems that it pretty much only in America where these were widely available. It's an incredible market :2c:

Thanks Vitolo

WatTyler,

Vitolo

Vaporist
YVW, Wat- I sure hope you find what you need. Smoooooth Vapin' to you!;)

Vitolo,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'll just update that I have recieved the mini gas cannister and it really is the perfect size and just what I was looking for. Here you can see how well it fits in the Iolite Ryot case. Before that kit was only good for the 2 hour tank full of vaporizing. Plenty of bud (~1/8th) stored in the zipper pouch, but unless carrying the bulky extra butane can, it was pretty limited vaporizing potential. Now with this wee cannister that small portable kit is now probably sufficient for at least a whole weekend away. It all zips up neat, safe and discrete.
dscf0342s.jpg

I'm emailing O&B in the hope that they might tell me the gas is good enough quality for their discerning contraption. But if not I'll be filling it manually with the premium fuel following Vitos methods. Either way I'm hopeful that this has really solved what was for me a major limitation of the Iolite. Hope it helps someone else.

edit: spelling

WatTyler,

Dudeson 1882

Hi Wat if you decide to use the method to force the butane into the smaller can I'd recommend wearing a protective mask as otherwise its highly likely you will inhale butane.

Something like this (I'm no expert here but I think it has to be FFP3 rated to protect against butane gas) would work.

UK Masks

OK its another 20 to spend with VAT & postage but they'll last you longer than you have the iolite, will be handy for other uses & a small price to pay for your health as butane is horrible stuff.

Vitolo I'm not sure if you wear a mask also but would advise the same if you don't.

Dudeson 1882,

Vitolo

Vaporist
No, I don't.
I did it outdoors. It takes about 10 seconds. I squinted and averted my face slightly, held my breath, and it was done.
I no longer have a use for butane, and have not used this technique in 4-5 years. If my health has suffered, I am afraid it is too late for me to worry over all the years I transferred butane maskless!
It is great being in a forum, with one that keeps a level head about the extraneous risks of tools etc., associated with the "Vapor Seeking" process!

Vitolo,

Dudeson 1882

Hi Vitolo if it was that long ago I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Hope you didn't think I was being too preachy tho.

Dudeson 1882,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Dudeson 1882 said:
Hope you didn't think ......
I thought you were an alert concerned Vaporist giving a heads up about by products of using "unorthodox" means of handling our tools! :)

Vitolo,

Dudeson 1882

Cheers I appreciate you saying that.

I must say I have always admired the resourcefulness of members of this forum.

Dudeson 1882,
You guys are making me nervous, I'm screwing around (and really liking) with the Vapocane today, using the alternative heating method where the tube is heated and then inhaled through with no lighter in use.

I've refilled three different lighters so far, with some unavoidable overflow and spray, with no mask in use.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom