• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Portable atomizers vs enails?

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I don't believe I will be a hard core dabber right now, but I did want to pick something portable to hit some oil or rosin every now and then. Plus since I haven't used concentrates (other than an occasional O-pen) I don't think I need something that will give me dab after dab. I think one dab hit will send me packing.

I guess I don't understand the pros and cons between something with a donut atomizer like the Yocan Cerum or Divine Atty versus a portable enail like the Dabado Bolt or a source nail.

One concern is that a blogger I was watching discussed that using a enail or skillet is combusting oil not vaping. I wanted to stay in the vaping arena for health reasons so I didn't know if dabbing was going to work for me at all. If you're really combusting I'll probably stay with flower.

One of main reasons for wanting to try dabs was to reduce the amount of hits I needed to take in a session. Right now, in order to get medicated I need to vape 2 or 3 bowls through my nano or Air. With 4-8 hits per bowl that is a lot of vaping every day. I thought that if I used some concentrates then when I wanted a quick fix it would mean 1 or 2 dabs vs all that puffing.

Thanks for any help.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: Squiby

Danksta

Buying an enail was the probably one of the wisest decisions I ever made in my 20+yr love affair with cannabis. Dabbing is oh so much fun. I much prefer it over any other ROA. I was concerned at first like you but learned dabbing is "flash vaping", there is no combustion. The flavor you get alone makes it worth it, not to mention it's more effective.

I also own a Divine Tribe V3 atty and love it. It's great to have it as an option. But dabbing is where 90% of my oil goes to.

I started with one of those portables and overnight ended up ordering the enail. I didn't like the taste on those. It was a nice entry into dabbing, but I ended up with a mod and atomizer I never use. For the price of a source nail you could get a Auber enail and a moderately priced nail. My whole original setup was just under $300.

Honestly I feel dabbing is the only way to truly enjoy concentrates. Vaping is nice, but it's just not as fun. The dabbing ritual is hella fun. Part of my enjoyment is the ritual.

Baron23

I don't believe I will be a hard core dabber right now, but I did want to pick something portable to hit some oil or rosin every now and then. Plus since I haven't used concentrates (other than an occasional O-pen) I don't think I need something that will give me dab after dab. I think one dab hit will send me packing.

I guess I don't understand the pros and cons between something with a donut atomizer like the Yocan Cerum or Divine Atty versus a portable enail like the Dabado Bolt or a source nail.

One concern is that a blogger I was watching discussed that using a enail or skillet is combusting oil not vaping. I wanted to stay in the vaping arena for health reasons so I didn't know if dabbing was going to work for me at all. If you're really combusting I'll probably stay with flower.

One of main reasons for wanting to try dabs was to reduce the amount of hits I needed to take in a session. Right now, in order to get medicated I need to vape 2 or 3 bowls through my nano or Air. With 4-8 hits per bowl that is a lot of vaping every day. I thought that if I used some concentrates then when I wanted a quick fix it would mean 1 or 2 dabs vs all that puffing.

Thanks for any help.
IMO the dichotomy of combustion vs vaping does not apply to concentrates. You cannot set them on fire. They are volatile substances with a fairly low boiling point and that's what we do...evaporate it rapidly no matter the tool used.

Now, I have a Liger enail and love it. But I also find my pens/ceramic coil atomizers very useful to "fill out" an herb session (couple of nice sips of concentrates just to put the finishing touches on a session) without setting up a full rig.

Additionally, if you are not a concentrate vaporist, perhaps you may want to dip your toe in before going full hog on enail controller, coil, nail, glass rig, etc.

I personally recommend this to get started. The atty is identical to the DT 2.5/Atmos Kiln, the batter mod is an temp controlled Eleaf, and there is no way to beat it with anything else for its ridiculously low price of $30. Whether to augment your herb vaping or just to dip your toe into concentrate dabbing, hard to beat this deal:

New Vape Velvet Hammer

Last edited:

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
IMO don't go for a portable Enail, get a plug in. There was some serious QC issues with the "portable dab rigs" when they first came out, and idk how much they rectified them, but to be honest it just kind of freaked me out a bit. My local headshops seem to sell them, but if they're from China, I don't want the top to end up melting....maybe my fear is misplaced but just the fact that they had such issues in the past kind of turns me off of them. I've heard this has been fixed on some but again, clones and shit just make me wary and its not something I need.

An enail really lets you enjoy your concentrates, you can set temp, and rip away. Mine heats up in like 5 minutes. You can low temp dab. High temp dab. Etc. Range is there and it does what you want.

If you don't have the money, just snag yourself a Torch (not that expensive $10-$20), and a cheap TI nail or Quartz Banger or something. Oh and a dabber/carb cap. That will let you dab pretty cheaply but you lose the control of an enail. You can kind of get a method down though with regards to how long you heat it that the results are consistent enough though with a standard torch/banger.

If portability is a neccessity, a pen IMO is not a bad investment but will fail to deliver that "oomph" like a true dab. Though you are more slowly vaping it with a pen so it can be a bit more efficient IMO. To a certain point. Plus you will always need to buy new atomizers so while a cheap investment at the start it does eventually add up a bit. I fully recommend a pen so you can use concentrates on the go, but I would not recommend one as my "go to" or only source of consuming concentrates.

BabyFacedFinster

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

I do think I'll start out with something like the velvet hammer. That looks like a great package for 30 bucks. That atomizer also looks similar to the cerum. I like that they're all ceramic.

I'm happy to hear that there isn't real combustion as this was a big concern for me. I guess if you were really combusting then none of this would be promoted on fuckcombustion ;)

If I like the concentrates then I would upgrade to some type of plug in. I am learning as I go here. An enail is just the controller and heater, the nail is separate. I do like the look of those ligers. I see that Dnail offers an analog set up with a controller similar to what the nano comes with. I also see that some companies have digitals available for under 100 bucks. I can't get into a 300 or more setup. I think I like the idea of the flat coil setup too.

BabyFacedFinster,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
Buying an enail was the probably one of the wisest decisions I ever made in my 20+yr love affair with cannabis.

...this x infinity!
i could have bought close to two high end enails plus ligers with what i spen on pens/atomizers trying to find one that wasn't crap after a few uses...

... i never had any good experiences with pens

Baron23

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

I do think I'll start out with something like the velvet hammer. That looks like a great package for 30 bucks. That atomizer also looks similar to the cerum. I like that they're all ceramic.

I'm happy to hear that there isn't real combustion as this was a big concern for me. I guess if you were really combusting then none of this would be promoted on fuckcombustion ;)

If I like the concentrates then I would upgrade to some type of plug in. I am learning as I go here. An enail is just the controller and heater, the nail is separate. I do like the look of those ligers. I see that Dnail offers an analog set up with a controller similar to what the nano comes with. I also see that some companies have digitals available for under 100 bucks. I can't get into a 300 or more setup. I think I like the idea of the flat coil setup too.
Good decision....dip a toe in and see, yeah?

So, yes...concentrates do NOT combust. However, people do pay a bit of attention to what temp they are vaping at. Rippers want all the heat that they can get in order to get a BIG cloud. Many others, like my friend @AVENTUS, far prefer cooler temps and preservation of terpenes as they are more sippers than rippers. Me...I like my atty/box mods for sipping and my enail for ripping.

As far as nomenclature goes...what is an enail? To me, enail = controller box, coil, a nail/banger of some sort (and Liger would be the choice to make IMO), carb cap, and glass water pipe of some sort.

Dnails are expensive. They have a great reputation and many like their products very much. They have been leading a lot of developments in enail but, IMO, that doesn't justify the very high price.

For a controller/coil, if and when you decide to go enail route, I suggest looking at the Auber RDK-200. I have the 300 and really didn't need any additional bells/whistles over that in the 200 and 200 saves you a bit of money. Auber is an American instrument company that makes industrial controllers and that's all an enail controller is, at the end of the day. For a stable, well designed enail controller, I don't believe you will find anything works better in this very low price range.

Auber RDK-200

BabyFacedFinster

Good decision....dip a toe in and see, yeah?

So, yes...concentrates do NOT combust. However, people do pay a bit of attention to what temp they are vaping at. Rippers want all the heat that they can get in order to get a BIG cloud. Many others, like my friend @AVENTUS, far prefer cooler temps and preservation of terpenes as they are more sippers than rippers. Me...I like my atty/box mods for sipping and my enail for ripping.

Interesting. I tend to vape mostly indicas at higher temps because those temps give me a more sedative high. The lower temps on flower tend to give me a more racy, sativa-like high that can spark some anxiety. Does the same thing hold true for dabbing? Lower temps give you more flavor but a more cerebral, racy high?

BabyFacedFinster,

Baron23

Lower temps give you more flavor but a more cerebral, racy high?

I think not necessarily and that this would be more dependent on strain of herb. But if part of your desired effect includes contributions from terpenes, then lower temps tend to preserve the terps for vaping (rather than them just breaking down immediately from high temp).

I believe that there are others who are better suited to answer your question.

herbivore21

I think not necessarily and that this would be more dependent on strain of herb. But if part of your desired effect includes contributions from terpenes, then lower temps tend to preserve the terps for vaping (rather than them just breaking down immediately from high temp).

I believe that there are others who are better suited to answer your question.
As one of those better-suited others, you can expect better flavor at lower temps, as well as a more racy effect to a point. Once you start jacking the temp up and losing flavor, the effects also change a lot.

However, if you want less racy effects, don't high temp dab your material and waste your actives, use different kinds of extracts (winterized absolute shatters will have less terps which often give the most racy part of the effect from a given cultivar) or try another variety (aka 'strain'; which is not proper botanical nomenclature, so I don't use the term!).

Concentrates give us many more options for changing the experience beyond the temp we vaporize things at :D

Top Bottom