Pontiac, makers of the famous GTO, is dead.

lwien

First Oldsmobile, now Pontiac. Me thinks GM is gonna end up with two cars. Cadillac and Chevy.

I had a GTO once. Lots fun in the back seat of that car ;)

lwien,

Purple-Days

Yeah, but didn't the Lemans stand out as the one with the biggest big nose? Thus the nose-mobile name we gave our friend Rick's Lemans. This is in the day of those awful stick way out bumpers. The 5mph bumper? Hah!

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
Yeah, but didn't the Lemans stand out as the one with the biggest big nose? Thus the nose-mobile name we gave our friend Rick's Lemans. This is in the day of those awful stick way out bumpers. The 5mph bumper? Hah!
LOL. What about the lemon sucking Edsel ? Or the big-titty, torpedo-like Cadillac front bumbers.

The most fun car I ever had though was a '62 fuel injected Vette. Bought it from a friend in 64 for 3 grand. Sure wish I kept it. Sold it for 2500 2 years after I bought it because the draft was breathing down my neck, so I signed up for the AF. Figured I'd much rather be in a plane than on the ground with a gun in my hand. I dreamt about that car for the whole time I was in boot camp. :( .

lwien,

Purple-Days

Bring back the fins. I want fins. Screw the look alike jelly bean cars. Those big black rubber bullets. :cool: Door handles you can find and that can bruise a hip. Metal dashboards. Yeah. :lol:

Hey, here is one for dopers, I had a '64 Rambler Classic. Duel front ashtrays man. One for smokes one for weed. Now that was style.

Oh, the one that got away... '66 Mustang convertable with a 289 auto.

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
Bring back the fins. I want fins. Screw the look alike jelly bean cars.
Yup, I remember every year, when the new models would come out, we'd go on a tour of the showrooms. Every car looked different. No two cars looked the same, even if they all came from GM. Not only that, but they TOTALLY changed the body style every year. Man, just look at the 56, 57, 58 and the 59 Chevy. They looked TOTALLY different. Didn't even look like they were made by the same company. I have no idea how in the hell they could afford the tooling back then to do that.

lwien,

Purple-Days

Other things missing from a modern car, the obligatory 8 track or FM converter with wires hanging down after the occasional large pothole. 29 cent plastic drink holders that fit against the driver window between the weather strip. Pull tabs on the floor. Three on the tree. ;) Carbs, Points etc. (ahhh, you could open the lid and know what the heck was what...). I miss that.

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
Three on the tree. ;) Carbs, Points etc. (ahhh, you could open the lid and know what the heck was what...). I miss that.
Ah, memories. First car was a 56 Chevy, 3 speed on the column. Small block. Put on 3 two barrels with progressive linkage. Woked great. Thought that more was better, so I changed it to two four barrels, along with an Isky roller.

Ever worked on a Holly? What a pain in the ass. Like working on a watch........lol. But yeah, you could actually pop the hood and work on these cars with nothing more than a screwdriver and a few wrenches and a timing light.

lwien,

Frickr

lwien said:
Three on the tree. ;)

Ever worked on a Holly? What a pain in the ass. Like working on a watch........lol. But yeah, you could actually pop the hood and work on these cars with nothing more than a screwdriver and a few wrenches and a timing light.
edelbrock all the way for carbs, the weber base on those is so easy to work on. but you dont need a timing light, you just gotta get good at listening to the motor. sit there loosen up the distributor and then turn it till the idel evens out, adjust the jets, and go! had to do that on my old ford whenever the weather changed. hopped up little 351W with 3 on the tree, that little pickup moved.

and i just seen in the news that chrystler might have to file bankrupt. and the government wont help them out.

Frickr,

lwien

Frickr said:
and i just seen in the news that chrystler might have to file bankrupt. and the government wont help them out.
426 Hemi-Cuda's.........:p

lwien,

gak hater

how about one of these :brow:
2006_0416stuff0062.jpg

gak hater,

Purple-Days

Nope, a public domain image used as a rubber stamp. Lots of clip art available, using a Chrysler image would be a little silly.

Fellow right around the corner from me had one of those orange with the crazy Daytona wing, what was that model called? Pretty rare model.

Yeah, wrenches... and a good repair book (in my case).

Purple-Days,

gak hater

Purple-Days said:
Fellow right around the corner from me had one of those orange with the crazy Daytona wing, what was that model called? Pretty rare model.
that would be a 1969 dodge charger daytona they only made about 500 of them
and they were made to run in nascar. some of the rarer examples have fetched
well over 500k.

i own a 1969 dodge superbee 440 sixpack lift off hood car
(the car in the pic is a diff one)
that car was made for drag racing and also they didn't make very many of them.

gak hater,

Purple-Days

Yeah, I know, but some folks might wonder. Actually the bee we used was pretty rough and Pammy refined it quite a lot.

Did the Daytona have any relation to the Road Runner? I thought I remember the Beep-Beep horn on it.

Too bad about Chrystler, and I don't want to see lost jobs, but when do the bail outs stop? Where does the money come from? And can you continue forever, to support it?
Fiat money?

Purple-Days,

lwien

Are they filing Chapter 7 or 11? They may be able to restructure under a bankruptcy and come out of this. Many companies do.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
gak hater said:
Purple-Days said:
that would be a 1969 dodge charger daytona they only made about 500 of them
and they were made to run in nascar. some of the rarer examples have fetched
well over 500k.
Plymouth Superbird too, but '70 was the only production year for it.

As for Pontiac, IMO that division hasn't had a decent, 'stand out from the crowd' vehicle since they quit making the Firebird. I was never much of a fan, but I did appreciate the performance and distinctive look.

max,

gak hater

Purple-Days said:
Yeah, I know, but some folks might wonder. Actually the bee we used was pretty rough and Pammy refined it quite a lot.

Did the Daytona have any relation to the Road Runner? I thought I remember the Beep-Beep horn on it.
sort of.... they were made off the same b body chassis...
the b body chassis was used in many different models
the belvedere,charger,coronet are all b bodys
they are cousins of sorts
alot of parts will interchange between them, but the outer sheet metal wont
beleive it or not a daytona wing is different then a superbird wing
the daytona was dodges offering in 69 it was made off a charger platform
plymouth offered the superbird with a wing in 70 made off the belvedere platform (roadrunner) the next year.

they made 4 times as many superbirds then daytonas
the daytonas tend to be worth alot more.

i know too much about these type cars
and i own too many of them :lol:

gak hater,

gak hater

as for what happens to chysler,who knows
you hear a differant rumor everday.
i think no matter what happens the name will never die
as it has value and someone will always buy it to use on thier own cars
even if they are made somewhere else.
greed is what killed those companies on all sides
it will be interesting to see how it all pans out
or what survives

gak hater,

lwien

gak hater said:
as for what happens to chysler,who knows
you hear a differant rumor everday.
i think no matter what happens the name will never die
as it has value and someone will always buy it to use on thier own cars
even if they are made somewhere else.
greed is what killed those companies on all sides
it will be interesting to see how it all pans out
or what survives
I'm sure that greed played a part, but what may have played an even bigger part is a lack of imagination, lazyness, lack of competitiveness, lack of ingenuity, lack of pride in the product that they build, lack of inventiveness, etc etc etc.

Japanese and German manufacturers leap frogged the US auto industry a long time ago when it came to quality and engineering, and the fact is, is that that should have never happened in the first place. And then, to add insult to injury, how long did it take our auto industry to wake up and react? Wayyyyy tooooo long, the way I see it. Maybe, if they were MORE greedy, they would have reacted quicker, or not allowed the above scenario to happen in the first place.

lwien,

Purple-Days

The Belvedere, The Coronet? What the heck kind of names were those? L, you are the ad man, what the heck? :lol:

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
The Belvedere, The Coronet? What the heck kind of names were those? L, you are the ad man, what the heck? :lol:
Then they came out with the Ford Probe that was targeted to the gay community. ;)

But my all time favorite name was Volkswagens Thing (would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that branding meeting).

Regarding Belvedere and Coronet, I think Forbes hit the nail on the head when they said, "The .... worst car names are ones that seem to be a calculated attempt to play upon consumer class-consciousness and social insecurities. These names conjure images of country clubs and glamorous lifestyles, yet, for the most part, are cars that were targeted at buyers of more modest means. The names...... are primarily examples of carmakers trying to tack $100 names onto $10 cars."

lwien,
Top Bottom