Please Help Me Transition to Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurryLeafTreehugger

Modnote: This post and the 5 subsequent replies were moved from the Firefly thread.

OK, I have been using my FF for over a month now. Prior to that I hadn't smoked anything at all in decades, so my lungs are not "clogged up with tar". And I have to say, results have been totally disappointing. I actually started to think there was something wrong with the product, so I got a cheap glass pipe yesterday and lit it up and - BAM!

I have done everything anyone has ever suggested on this thread to "fix" things, but vaping just isn't doing it for me. It has so far been a colossal waste of time and product. Not to mention expense in wasted product and not-working-as-I-had-hoped vaporizer.

For one thing this device just doesn't seem to hold the temperature, and it burns through the batteries in nothing flat. They are the new 770aH batteries, as well.

I like the taste better than burning one down, but I like the EFFECT of burning a lot lot better. I thought vaping was supposed to be the better high, but now I'm finding a lot of apologists who admit that its not, but keep hitting on the theme of this being a "safer" high. Given the statistics re cancer due to pot smoking, that's not a serious concern for me. It would be nice to do this in a less-smelly not-ashy-tasting fashion, if possible - but it needs to be the same experience or better in ALL departments.

It is not a "high" at all in my book. I don't know what else I can do about it, I've tried everything I can think of - finer grind, coarser grind, tried the standard FF screens, dropped another $20 on Whispr screens - which helped even out the browning, but did not noticeably improve the experience. I've done various versions of pre-heating, holding my mouth just right, and drawing at varying levels of power for varying lengths of time. With a top screen, without a top screen. Nothing helps.

I'm no stoner - I haven't smoked in literally decades. I was a lightweight even when I was smoking, so my expectations are not unreasonable. It shouldn't be this much trouble to alter my outlook.

The legal stuff in my state is mondo more expensive than the illegal stuff and I feel like every gram that has gone through the FF was a gram wasted. Maybe I need a different vaporizer, but as expensive as they are and given I've already wasted nearly $300 on this one, I'm hesitant to try another one only to find out that the problem is with the vaping in and of itself - and that is sure what it is looking like, from what I am reading on the "transitioning" thread.

Sooooo disappointed ....

Last edited by a moderator:
CurryLeafTreehugger,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
The legal stuff in my state is mondo more expensive than the illegal stuff and I feel like every gram that has gone through the FF was a gram wasted. Maybe I need a different vaporizer, but as expensive as they are and given I've already wasted nearly $300 on this one, I'm hesitant to try another one only to find out that the problem is with the vaping in and of itself - and that is sure what it is looking like, from what I am reading on the "transitioning" thread.

Sooooo disappointed ....

Yes, you sound pretty frustrated. Without derailing the FF thread too much let me say that millions of us have been vaping for years, positively love the high and think it's far superior to a combustion high...cleaner, more cerebral, less fatiguing. Different than a combustion high, certainly, and it does take a while to adapt and learn to appreciate it...but honestly, I got plenty stoned the first time I vaped, despite the obvious differences, and learned to love it quickly. Trust me, it's not just the health benefits that keep many of us vaping...it is the effects, and the experience, themselves. I don't know why you aren't feeling more of the effects, frankly, and I understand your disinterest in spending more time and money on it. It may not be for you.

OK back on topic....even though I'm a huge FF fan, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a first vape. It's just too damned fickle, even for those of us who have ostensibly mastered it. I still have my moments where I can't quite make it do what I want...but then it passes. There are a number of better, easier, "automatic" vapes on the market, but this isn't the thread for it, and you don't sound like you wanna spend anymore cash on it anyway.

TL/DR: vaping is great, but maybe it's not for you. The FF is great...but probably not for your first vape. Good luck with whatever path you choose. If you are interested in discussing possible better first vapes, head on over to the Ask FC threads. :)

UnshavenFish

but it needs to be the same experience or better in ALL departments.

For me vaping is better in all departments compared to combustion, taste is better, high is higher (by a long way for me atleast) speed is around the same depending on vape used and what it's compared to.

vaping was supposed to be the better high, but now I'm finding a lot of apologists who admit that its not

Curious as to where you found "apologists" that admit that, most of what I've read and experienced would disagree, yes people say it's different and takes some adjustment (when coming from combustion) but this shouldn't apply to you as you say you hadn't smoked anything in decades :hmm: from your description it sounds like what most people experience during the changeover but this is normally when someone is vaping and combusting at the same time (which your not?) it is possible that you have a faulty unit :shrug: could be worth reaching out to firefly to see if they can help.

but keep hitting on the theme of this being a "safer" high. Given the statistics re cancer due to pot smoking, that's not a serious concern for me.

Vaping is a safer high (with regards to what you inhale into your lungs) even forgetting about the whole cancer thing my lungs feel much better now compared to a year ago, and I no longer cough up dirty lumps in the morning.

For one thing this device just doesn't seem to hold the temperature, and it burns through the batteries in nothing flat. They are the new 770aH batteries, as well.

Just a thought here but how dry is the herb your using? If it's too moist it will take a little longer and use more battery power in the process, I like mine to be crunchy at the point where if you squeeze it it almost grinds itself.

When you have been using it have you seen visible vapour? And what does the herb look like? Does it stay green or turn darker, I only ask as there have been reports of units running cool maybe this is the case.

While the firefly is a more technical vape than others to use, I would think a month would be long enough to get good results with a fully working unit :shrug:

It may be a long shot, but do you know anyone that has another vape you could try (or a shop if in the U.S. I think I have heard people talk about trying display models) so you could see if it's the firefly or vaping in general that's not doing it for you.

Best of luck, and it can't hurt to check with firefly, maybe your unit is running cool so your not getting the effect you want, I can't think of a way to test this but maybe they can.

murf2010

For me there is no comparison. The high is so much cleaner, clearer and the medication does exactly what I need it to. I absolutely love vaping, depending on which one your using you can specify what temperature and so forth. I'm
New to the firefly as well, just two weeks. I've used quite a few and this is my favorite, huge clouds, amazing flavor and efficiency is great. Battery life is HORRIBLE. only complaint tho.

CurryLeafTreehugger

For me vaping is better in all departments compared to combustion, taste is better, high is higher (by a long way for me atleast) speed is around the same depending on vape used and what it's compared to.

My thing is that not only am I not getting "stoned", I'm not getting even mildly high. Its not even consistent in helping with my sleep issues, and as much of a lightweight as I am, that should not be problematic. I'm not getting enough to help with my pain either if I vape. So its not all about "getting high", its about this device not functioning well to provide the expected effects.

Curious as to where you found "apologists" that admit that, most of what I've read and experienced would disagree, yes people say it's different and takes some adjustment (when coming from combustion) but this shouldn't apply to you as you say you hadn't smoked anything in decades :hmm: from your description it sounds like what most people experience during the changeover but this is normally when someone is vaping and combusting at the same time (which your not?)

Buncha people in the "transitioning thread" that was linked to a few posts back say that its not the same high, even someone in one of the responses to my posts say it's "more cerebral" etc.

I hadn't been mixing fire and non-fire - but since discovering actual fire works where the firefly fails, eg for the past day or two, I've switched back to fire. My mouth tastes like an ash tray, but at least I sleep nights now.

it is possible that you have a faulty unit :shrug: could be worth reaching out to firefly to see if they can help.

I have no way of telling. It seems to me that this device does not maintain heat evenly once you start to draw and as the battery runs down. I can see the glow fade when I start to draw and the green light starts flashing even on a fresh battery. The battery life is just pitiful too. I didn't think this would be a problem for me as I don't use that much product at one time. If I smoke the amount I've been trying to vape, I'm blasted. But if I vape (at least with the FF I have), it takes forever and I never feel the full effects. It can take an hour to vape the little half-gram or gram or whatever fits in there with the Whispr screen in place.

That's another issue with the FF - I simply do not have sufficient manual dexterity to get the screen in properly, let alone get it out and back in again for cleaning. The Whispr screen pops in and out super easily - but it is a pretty coarse screen that comes on that and some product does fall down into the area where its not supposed to be. Not a lot, but some.

It seems to me that it cannot possibly be maintaining even levels of heat. I have no way of telling if that is user error or if the device itself is malfunctioning as there is no temperature display and I have no way of measuring the temp it is achieving.

Just a thought here but how dry is the herb your using? If it's too moist it will take a little longer and use more battery power in the process, I like mine to be crunchy at the point where if you squeeze it it almost grinds itself.

It is very dry, too dry IMHO. I need to get one of those cases with the gel pacs and see if I can rehydrate it.

When you have been using it have you seen visible vapour? And what does the herb look like? Does it stay green or turn darker, I only ask as there have been reports of units running cool maybe this is the case.

I rarely see anything visible on exhale. I was told that is because vapor is invisible. I have repeatedly wondered about whether or not this device is achieving a high enough temperature.

I leave the product in there until it turns brown and crunchy, and that takes quite awhile. On the order of 45 mins to an hour.

While the firefly is a more technical vape than others to use, I would think a month would be long enough to get good results with a fully working unit :shrug:

I would have thought the same, LOL!

It may be a long shot, but do you know anyone that has another vape you could try (or a shop if in the U.S. I think I have heard people talk about trying display models) so you could see if it's the firefly or vaping in general that's not doing it for you.

Nope, I don't know anybody like that. And trying actual product in the USA would be highly illegal as even in those states where it is legal, even when its legal on a recreational level, it is illegal to smoke in public. Or vape. No legitimate store would let you try-before-you-buy, especially not in-store.

Sadly.

Best of luck, and it can't hurt to check with firefly, maybe your unit is running cool so your not getting the effect you want, I can't think of a way to test this but maybe they can.

I don't know either. But I'm super super disappointed.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
FF could very well be faulty. Call FF and switch it out for a new one. They have great customer service. If you ask, they will generally send you a shipping label for warranty issues.
You should be getting some clouds. If not, something's wrong. I have one too, but use it mostly when on a trip. They are a good vape, but quirky.

Now I am saying this and don't even own one yet. But if I were you I'd get the new warrantied FF back, sell it, then get an e nano. Then start ripping it baby :razz:

Vaping is far superior in every goddamn way to combustion. Don't tell me that vaping is a weaker high. I'm fucking toasted off my ass right now. Stick with it.

Last edited:

UnshavenFish

Its not even consistent in helping with my sleep issues

This could be strain related :shrug: some are better than others for sleep and pain.

generally you would be looking at higher temps which with the firefly would mean a slower draw and longer hold of the button maybe even once you see the bowl light dim release the button and repress it (and hold) to boost the heat.

for the past day or two, I've switched back to fire. My mouth tastes like an ash tray, but at least I sleep nights now

Your sleep could be helped by the extra things in smoke (all the bad stuff can have that effect) rather than the good stuff in vapour, now it may be your firefly isn't working right (a few things you say have me thinking this) so your not getting the right cannabinoids to get the effects your looking for from the temps you achieve and time it takes.

It seems to me that this device does not maintain heat evenly once you start to draw and as the battery runs down. I can see the glow fade when I start to draw and the green light starts flashing even on a fresh battery. The battery life is just pitiful too

A few things here, the glow will fade as the heat goes up (sounds strange I know) I think this is to stop things getting too hot, with mine I notice as the metal starts to get warmer the glow starts to dim (I would guess as the whole unit starts to hold onto heat the coil needs to work less to achieve the same temp resulting in less glow, you can release the button for a sec and hold again to make it hotter/glow brighter.

The green light does flash when you hold the on/power button this is normal, and yes battery life isn't the best but I don't think it's that bad really (providing it's working right) the thing here is it's not a high capacity battery so yes you only get a few bowls per charge...but a full charge only takes 45 minutes (compared to 2-6 hours for some other vapes) because of the capacity, so when you factor in usage vs charging time it's pretty comparable to other vapes IMO, and as far as I know convection normally uses more power to start with.

It is very dry, too dry IMHO. I need to get one of those cases with the gel pacs and see if I can rehydrate it.

I like mine too dry, I find I loose a little flavour but gain in visuals and speed, to rehydrate I would suggest boveda packs as they work both ways and will keep your herb at the RH of the pack you choose, I have the 62 and 49 but rarely use them as I prefer dryer, this will vary from person to person though.

I rarely see anything visible on exhale. I was told that is because vapor is invisible. I have repeatedly wondered about whether or not this device is achieving a high enough temperature.

I leave the product in there until it turns brown and crunchy, and that takes quite awhile. On the order of 45 mins to an hour.

Yes and no here, yes vapour can be invisible (normally low temps) but with the firefly it can be almost as dense as smoke, I find my first pull is invisible but after that things heat up and clouds start to happen, there was a video a few pages back in the Firefly thread with good visuals.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-vaporizer.11365/page-227#post-832627

The 45 mins to turn brown and crunchy is a worry to me as I can finish a bowl in under 5 minutes, this would make me think either user error (although after a month I doubt it) or a cool running unit, could you explain a bit more here about your routine that takes this long, is it a few hits here and there over 45 mins or are you spending a constant 45 pulling to finish a bowl? And what technique are you using, like do you pre heat and for how long, how long do you hold the button/draw, just the general stuff.

I've never used firefly customer service myself but I know from others dealings that they want every customer to be happy and lots here have experienced this.

Hopefully (as weird as this sounds) I kinda hope it's just a faulty unit, as this is an easy fix, then you can start to enjoy vaping, but maybe it's just not for you, either way good luck and best wishes.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I would suggest a different vaporizer as a first vaporizer. I don't have a FF but have read a lot of the thread. It has a big learning curve. Please don't combust, that's not a healthy habit because it will become a habit. Try something like a Solo, it's very easy to use right out of the box after the initial charge. The Solo can be bought for $150.

Good luck but combusting is the last thing you want to do. You will get tar in your lungs. Next thing you know you will be coughing up black in the mornings.

If you want to vaporize don't combust at all that will defeat the process. When you combust you are getting all the unhealthy carcinogens. With vaporizing you are getting pure THC and CBD and all the other cannabis compounds.

little maggie

I've never tried the FF. I have a bad case of VAS and have 10 vaporizers. Some of them are very popular but simply don't work for me. I have never figured out what I'm doing that's different but I don't get clouds or feel any effect. It may be the FF is like that for you. My first vape was the MFLB and although that worked it was too harsh for me. It might have been better if they'd had a water accessory back then. My favorite and most user friendly vaporizers are the log vapes. Not portable but easy to use and work with very little herbs. The underdog comes with several stems and is often less expensive when they have basic maple. The enano is great also. It's hard to see how they'd fail to work since there is almost nothing to break. They are also less expensive than some of the high tech vaporizers no matter how simple those are. The portables that work best for me are the arizer air/solo and the haze. I do have to set them at higher settings than many here to get good results.

Last edited:

hoptimum

OK back on topic....even though I'm a huge FF fan, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a first vape. It's just too damned fickle, even for those of us who have ostensibly mastered it. I still have my moments where I can't quite make it do what I want...but then it passes. There are a number of better, easier, "automatic" vapes on the market, but this isn't the thread for it, and you don't sound like you wanna spend anymore cash on it anyway.

I think this explains quite a lot. If you have never had success using a vaporizer before, the Firefly is a bad place to start. Why? It's very much a manual/ feel thing with the Firefly. I can taste the vapor on the tip of my tongue after holding down the heat button for about 8 seconds and inhaling. But if you don't know what you should be tasting, you won't know if you're getting anything or not. It's not that the "learning curve" is huge, it's more that you would probably not know when you arrive at your destination even if you do. And you need to inhale differently than you do when you're smoking. I feel for your frustration, but you might have a hard time with it, especially if you are challenged using your hands. As far as changing screens is concerned, I haven't changed mine a single time in over a year.
Regarding vaping vs smoking, I combusted for 35 years before starting to use a vaporizer, and everything about vaping is far superior, from the flavor to the economy to the effects. IMO, there's absolutely nothing better about smoking vs. vaporizing.

TomC1315

Please don't give up on the process and the transition ... personally, I'm never going back to smoking (over 30 yrs experience).
I switched to vaping a month and a half ago ... while not as quick as loading a bowl and flicking a Bic, the little bit of extra prep is well worth it.

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
@CurryLeafTreehugger my thoughts are if you plan to try and replicate smoking, you will need to purchase a powerful desktop vape like the Zion, EVO, Herbalizer, E-Nano, HerbalAir etc.

The Firefly seems like a device based around flavor not cloud production. I am almost positive if I would have switched to vaping with a FF I wouldn't have been happy due to the learning curve.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I switched to vaping almost exclusively after I got my FF in November of last year.

Yeah, it took a while for me to get "stoned" off it. I usually went through like 3 bowls, and by that point the battery was basically dead! My high would kind of subside and I'd be vaping more bowls again. It kind of worked for me, but I grew frustrated at the idea of always needing to charge it.

Get a desktop, some sort of log vape I'd recommend, and a glass pipe to attach it too. Bong vapor rips are sweet :tup:

Or, shell out more and get a Mighty....my friends exclusively combust, and they all love it.....you can set the temp relatively high so you get a very body stoned but still vaped. Or you can set it low and get more of just the THC. It requires no user technique or modification, which is beautiful for people who don't want to learn the nuances of draw rate and temperature speed in regards to vaping (The Firefly is like this, most vapes are like this, the Mighty is too to a degree it just heats up/stays up to temp very quickly)

thekarmawhore

@CurryLeafTreehugger my thoughts are if you plan to try and replicate smoking, you will need to purchase a powerful desktop vape like the Zion, ...~snip~

Just to clarify, the Zion is not a powerful desktop vape, it is a portable battery powered vape with the power of a desktop.

The power of a desktop in the palm of your hand, that's the Zion.

And for whatever it's worth, the Zion transitioned, can't even really call it a transition, more like just switched me to vaping and I hadn't even intended to switch it just happened because effect wise, it was much better than smoking ever had been. Knee buckling, punch-you-in-the-face like effects and it actually tasted good too. Haven't lit up for over 6 months thanks to the Z.

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

I suggest getting a vape that doesn't require much know how to use. The mighty would be perfect imo,just turn on and inhale. Don't give up so soon my friend. This is the best world consuming your cannabis can offer ,the vapor world :nod:

I've actually been considering the Plenty. I don't really need a portable, I only medicate at home in the evening, or during the daytime if I know I'm not going anywhere.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

CurryLeafTreehugger

FF could very well be faulty. Call FF and switch it out for a new one. They have great customer service. If you ask, they will generally send you a shipping label for warranty issues.

I've been trying to call for a week and have yet to get a person. Today they put the phone on the after-hours message around 3 PM. I am on Pacific time so I'm not getting the times mixed up. I'll keep trying I guess - there's really little else to be done.

I have come to the conclusion that the device MUST be faulty and isn't getting hot enough. There's just too much difference between vaping with it and actual fire.

You should be getting some clouds. If not, something's wrong. I have one too, but use it mostly when on a trip. They are a good vape, but quirky.

Clouds? The concept doesn't even enter into it. I rarely get anything visible at all, let alone anything I would call a cloud. I think there HAS to be something wrong with it.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

CurryLeafTreehugger

This could be strain related :shrug: some are better than others for sleep and pain.

generally you would be looking at higher temps which with the firefly would mean a slower draw and longer hold of the button maybe even once you see the bowl light dim release the button and repress it (and hold) to boost the heat.

Your sleep could be helped by the extra things in smoke (all the bad stuff can have that effect) rather than the good stuff in vapour, now it may be your firefly isn't working right (a few things you say have me thinking this) so your not getting the right cannabinoids to get the effects your looking for from the temps you achieve and time it takes.

Yea, except they all rock when I set them on fire. I don't think the Firefly is getting hot enough. The more I read about it and analyze what's going on when I use it, the more convinced I become of that.

I like mine too dry, I find I loose a little flavour but gain in visuals and speed, to rehydrate I would suggest boveda packs as they work both ways and will keep your herb at the RH of the pack you choose, I have the 62 and 49 but rarely use them as I prefer dryer, this will vary from person to person though.

Boveda is what I was thinking of.

Yes and no here, yes vapour can be invisible (normally low temps) but with the firefly it can be almost as dense as smoke, I find my first pull is invisible but after that things heat up and clouds start to happen, there was a video a few pages back in the Firefly thread with good visuals.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-vaporizer.11365/page-227#post-832627

I can guarantee I haven't seen anything like that come out of my Firefly, EVER. A bare handful of times I've gotten some barely visible vapor, but most of the time I see nothing at all. I've even gone to warming it up for a full 20 seconds, let up on the button, hit it again, and then start drawing. That resulted in a successful session but I have not been able to repeat the success.

The 45 mins to turn brown and crunchy is a worry to me as I can finish a bowl in under 5 minutes, this would make me think either user error (although after a month I doubt it) or a cool running unit, could you explain a bit more here about your routine that takes this long, is it a few hits here and there over 45 mins or are you spending a constant 45 pulling to finish a bowl? And what technique are you using, like do you pre heat and for how long, how long do you hold the button/draw, just the general stuff.

About 3 hits, then wait to see if there's an effect, then repeat. I've also tried just hitting it all the way to the brown and crunchy state which takes maybe 15 or 20 mins. That's maybe LESS effective, though its honestly hard to tell.

I've never used firefly customer service myself but I know from others dealings that they want every customer to be happy and lots here have experienced this.

Well I hope so. No luck so far. I have yet to get a human being over there. Maybe its just been a really really bad week for them ...

Hopefully (as weird as this sounds) I kinda hope it's just a faulty unit, as this is an easy fix, then you can start to enjoy vaping, but maybe it's just not for you, either way good luck and best wishes.[/QUOTE]

CurryLeafTreehugger,

CurryLeafTreehugger

Modnote: This post and the 5 subsequent replies were moved from the Firefly thread.

I don't understand why you did that - this is about getting the FIREFLY to work, not about vaping in general. The consensus seems to be that I have a faulty one. Please put these back, I had an awful time finding it. This has nothing to do with "transitioning to vaping", and everything to do with trying to deal with the Firefly specifically.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If
I don't understand why you did that - this is about getting the FIREFLY to work, not about vaping in general. The consensus seems to be that I have a faulty one. Please put these back, I had an awful time finding it. This has nothing to do with "transitioning to vaping", and everything to do with trying to deal with the Firefly specifically.
If indeed you have a faulty unit you will need to send it back unless it's user error. You might find out that another vaporizer would be a better fit for you? Vaporizers can get expensive and it's hard to know if you have the right one, if you haven't had a chance to try it out. Most of the time we don't get that opportunity.

Good luck in your quest to be combustion free.

hoptimum

does your Firefly bowl glow orange? if so, it's functioning as it should. If it's not, you should be covered under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom