Please Help Me Choose Between The Grasshopper and Firefly 2 (micro-dosing)

Bananen

Being a beginner, both when it comes to technique but also when it comes to cannabis, which vape would be preferrably between grasshopper and Firefly 2 according to you? I know this is down to personal preference, but I can't decide due to my fears. So, I will show you what is constantly nagging in my brain currently:

Grasshopper:
Too hot (for mouth feel and/or lungs)? Perhaps I wont notice this with just one/two draws?
Prone to breaking down?
Perhaps delivering too hits strong for me as a beginner?

Firefly 2:
Special technique required
If using special technique such as prepuffing cigar-style, then doing a long draw to extract - perhaps too strong also?
Messy with need to mix the cannabis.

Note that I will probably just have one draw, and I could go for a smaller one if potent enough. So, I suppose it is down to which one of these can be reliably used with miniscule amounts of cannabis? If possibly, I would like a nice flavor if I ever went to town for real. I suppose "normal" users can load it fully and just hit it every now and then, but months can pass between occassions for me. So, given the above...any recommendations? I really appreciate any knowledgeable people letting me pick your brain.

Edit: As this was moved I would like to clarify: the intention is to use the device for micro dosing cannabis 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Bananen,

Godspeed

I am a relatively new medical user (4 months) that only microdoses utilizing my OmniVap during the day and the Firefly 2 at night. I place about .020 mg in the bowl of the Firefly2 and place the stainless concentration pad on top which works well. This small amount will last me half the day taking small doses.

As a new user like yourself, I waffled between the Grasshopper and the Firefly2, but the abysmal reliability of the Grasshopper pushed me to purchase the Firefly. It is very easy to use for the beginner and I have had zero problems. I needed a reliable device that would help me and the OmniVap and the Firefly 2 does exactly that.

You may want to check out www.healer.com for a great novice primer.

Wishing you the best in your search.

Bananen

I am a relatively new medical user (4 months) that only microdoses utilizing my OmniVap during the day and the Firefly 2 at night. I place about .020 mg in the bowl of the Firefly2 and place the stainless concentration pad on top which works well. This small amount will last me half the day taking small doses.

As a new user like yourself, I waffled between the Grasshopper and the Firefly2, but the abysmal reliability of the Grasshopper pushed me to purchase the Firefly. It is very easy to use for the beginner and I have had zero problems. I needed a reliable device that would help me and the OmniVap and the Firefly 2 does exactly that.

You may want to check out www.healer.com for a great novice primer.

Wishing you the best in your search.

Extremely thankful for your response, this sounds so much like my expected scenario - and it mirrors my thoughts about the Grasshopper. Even though I have read about the Grasshopper being "fixed" this last week, that doesn't do anything for the current supply of units. The grasshopper just seems so nice, select a temp and go.

When doing your small dose, do you need to "puff" or "preheat" the herb with an initial draw, or do you just go directly? And if I may, does it taste nice even though you use such a small dose?`

Bananen,

Doktor Dub

I would not want to use the Grasshopper as only Vape just because of the reliability issues. It is a great Vape in theory, but what does this help if it does not work....:2c:

Doktor Dub,

sickmanfraud

If you are interested in microdosing then find the Mist Vape Touch (MVT) thread and read on the web address is mistvaporizer.com.

The MVt uses a 14 mm bowl that makes micro dosing easy.

If that does not sound good, look for Arizer Solo.

I bet you could buy a Solo and an MVT for the price of the firefly 2

If you were to get two vapes than you would have backup if one goes on the fritz. My MVT is great and the Solo is built like a tank mine is 4+ years old.

sickmanfraud,

AJS

Calm Consistency
I microdose about .03-.05 seshes with my Milaana with overwhelming success, and as sickman said, the MVT is a good choice as well and very similar.

I wouldn't use my GH as my microdosing tool personally, but it'll work. I love my GH for anything else tho.

Edit: saw you're a beginner ... you can easily pack a fairly large load (.1) in the GH and then just take 1 hit and be good to go. Technically you can't pack tiny amounts, but to monitor your dosage with just a single hit or 2 it's amazing. You can't go wrong with it unless it breaks. The mouth heat isn't bad at all and the throat heat is only bad on very high temps (subjective). I hate hot vapor too though.

AJS,
Reactions: Alexis

Mr. Me2

Hi @Bananen !

I have the gh (since around June 16) and a ff1. Not an exact comparison to your request, but close. I have a couple other vapes too (Crafty and pax2).

Honestly, I retired my ff1 a long time ago. I have turned into a convection guy, preferring a one-and-done approach and thought the ff1 was the holy grail. And when the stars are aligned you can't beat the flavor. But I found it too finicky and challenging to get those stars to align, and I HATED the required stirring.

Almost a year later and I'm STILL on my gh honeymoon. I did have one painless RMA around October, but this thing continues to be my daily driver. Great build quality, a joy to hold, super easy maintenance, super easy to use (virtually no learning curve)...what else? The mouthpiece does get warm and the flavor is okay but not the best (ff and Crafty definitely win there).

I can't make promises regarding reliability of the newest gh's. So I would recommend a backup vape (Dynavap, Boundless, Vivant, or others suggested here). You'll want more than one vape anyway...it's the nature of the beast. A gh and second vape could be less than the ff2.

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: AJS

Godspeed

Bananen -

I do not need to preheat or puff the Firefly2 to micro-dose, and the taste is amazing both on the inhale and exhale. As mentioned above, I would definitely get a backup unit not only to be covered in case of a failure, but I find I get different physical and mental results using the same strain in different devices.

I also purchased a VapeXhale EVO but it is too powerful for my use and sits in the closet.

Godspeed,

vapequest2017

Bananen -

I do not need to preheat or puff the Firefly2 to micro-dose, and the taste is amazing both on the inhale and exhale. As mentioned above, I would definitely get a backup unit not only to be covered in case of a failure, but I find I get different physical and mental results using the same strain in different devices.

I also purchased a VapeXhale EVO but it is too powerful for my use and sits in the closet.

Hi Godspeed, what you say about getting different mental and physical results using the same strain sounds interesting to me. Would you mind elaborating a bit more on that? I mean, for example, which (FFL or Omnivap) device gives you a clearer mind when you microdose with it? Since you are using the Omnivap during the day I guess this device doesn't give you a high?

I am looking for the perfect device to hit a tiny amount of herb for the least possible high with the most benefit for pain and have now learned that different temps may affect the effect you get from the same strain. So it's possible that the omnivap is vaping different cannabinoids and affecting you differently than the temps on the FF2.

Not to go on a tangent, I called Firefly and they suggested what you do for microdoing. Using the steel concentrate screen, but can't remember if they said to put it under the material or above as you do it. I am more or less sold on the FF2 and you can get one for $250 on ebay from authorized resellers with warranty and all, so that is a lot better than 300+.

Best!

vapequest2017,

little maggie

I'm curious why you are choosing between just these 2 when there are so many excellent vapes with good reliability and stealth. I microdose with all my vapes but they are all pretty simple to use. Even ones that people report need a technique can be used without one. We all develop our styles over time as we get to know a vape.

Without making things more complicated by adding a list of others I'd go with the MVT. There is a bit of a wait for it since it is handmade but the list goes quickly. I put in enough herb just to cover the bottom of the screen. Because it is "on demand" it only heats the herb when you use it instead of heating it as long as the vape is on. You could use a tiny bit and draw from it more than 1x a day if you want or have the herb available the next day.

I disposed of my boundless and other vapes that are not on demand.

little maggie,

Godspeed

Bananen -

I feel I receive different experiences from the OmniVap, Firefly2, and the VapeXhale EVO due to their design and my method of utilizing them.

The OmniVap, with the degummed hemp fiber filter is like sucking through a thin straw with the carb hole covered. This restriction allows me to take smaller doses. Like others however, I got a little too confident and heated further down the cap a time or two and this launched me into the stratosphere. I did not enjoy this ride at all and I now stay in the shallow end of the pool with the kiddies.

With the Firefly2, I just leave it on Medium High and keep it there. I find that having to use the app to change the heat setting is a true negative. I know some enjoy this feature and the control it offers and you may as well. The concentration pad should be placed over the flower for microdosing.

The VapeXhale has almost zero draw restriction and does an absolutely amazing job of evenly vaporizing your flower. That being said, it is way too powerful for me and the few times I used it, even with .025mg, it was not a fun or helpful experience. I am used to vaporizing .020mg in the OmniVap over the period of around eight (8) hours. Taking that all in one shot from the EVO is well beyond my capabilities.

I feel the VapeXhale should come with a warning that you must be this tall to ride. I was obviously not tall enough and the EVO now sits in my closet.

If I were only allowed one of the three I would choose the OmniVap for my medical needs. I know there are many fine vaporizers out there but these are the only ones I have any experience with.

The level of mental shift change or assisting in a particular medical condition is strain dependant. I use a sativa dominant strain during the day and a pure Indica at night. If you want to stay clear during the day, try something like ACDC which is very calming but with minimal high.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Godspeed,
Reactions: Squiby

vapequest2017

Godspeed,

What type of lighter are you using? The only thing about the Omnivap that I don't like is having to get a torch lighter and butane and the refills etc.

vapequest2017,

Godspeed

I am using the double torch sold by DynaVap. I like the ergonomics of the lighter but there is no fuel window. If you are going out and are unsure of the fuel level, just top off the tank.

Mr. Me2

The (hopefully) soon to be released haze square may suit all of your needs and wishes...

Mr. Me2,

TheBandit

The Grasshopper and the Firefly 2 are my only vapes at the moment. If you're only considering these two units, I'd go for the Firefly (though there are a lot of other good vapes worth considering too). The Hopper is my go-to piece, but I almost always use it at higher temps and through glass for big clouds -- the opposite of microdosing. It's also great for stealthy travel.
But when I just want to sip on some tasty vapor, the Firefly is what I reach for. The flavor great and is nice and cool. I keep it packed and charged, and will take a draw or two when the mood strikes me. The draw is very restricted compared to the hopper, but I like the vapor more. It does have a learning curve, related to its weirdly restricted draw, but after you figure out how hard you should pull, it's not an issue. A potential drawback is that the FF likes the chamber to be fully loaded, but as others have mentioned, it's possible to put a concentrate disc on top to take up space. But honestly, I'd pack it full and just take small hits as you need to. Once you have your technique down, it's easier to dose by setting the temp and controlling your draw than it is to set dosages by how much product you're vaping.

FF2 obvious downsides: Expensive. You have to stir every once in a while. Not super stealthy.

Given that the OP is such a light user -- once very couple of months -- I'm hesitant to recommend such an expensive device for such infrequent use. It would be cheaper and easier to just combust.

Top Bottom