Please Help. MB2e Tincture Burnt!

Mlongton

So I just got an Ardent-Nova Decarboxylator and Magic Butter 2e. I was very excited to make a good strong tincture. Used 20g of high quality sativa and 2.5 cups of Everclear. Followed MB2e instructions: place on 130 degrees F. and hit button for 4 hour tincture or 8 hours for a stronger end product.
Added ingredients and set it for 8 hours. I heard the machine operate normally for the whole 8 hours. It beeped when cycle was complete. I was so excited to test it.
Imagine my fury when I unplugged and opened the MB2, all of the EverclearEverclear had cooked away and all the flower had burnt and stuck to the bottom. Completely burnt!! $300 wasted!!!!

Please help. What went wrong??!!??!!??!!

Mlongton,

damm

So I just got an Ardent-Nova Decarboxylator and Magic Butter 2e. I was very excited to make a good strong tincture. Used 20g of high quality sativa and 2.5 cups of Everclear. Followed MB2e instructions: place on 130 degrees F. and hit button for 4 hour tincture or 8 hours for a stronger end product.
Added ingredients and set it for 8 hours. I heard the machine operate normally for the whole 8 hours. It beeped when cycle was complete. I was so excited to test it.
Imagine my fury when I unplugged and opened the MB2, all of the EverclearEverclear had cooked away and all the flower had burnt and stuck to the bottom. Completely burnt!! $300 wasted!!!!

So I am guessing we followed https://magicalbutter.com/recipe/magicalbutter-tincture here; what proof are you working with on everclear?

You should be able to use 151 or 191 proof alcohol just fine (according to that page) what temp choice did you use?

Alcohol likely got too hot and flashed up and burned your product. It is unfortunately flammable

Lastly, I am sorry for your loss. 300$ and cleaning up that mess and the cost of everclear is quite a bit :( I rather miss the black market times like this; a solid 200$ I am out and I can always get cheaper for 160$ an oz.

damm,

Mlongton

So I am guessing we followed https://magicalbutter.com/recipe/magicalbutter-tincture here; what proof are you working with on everclear?

You should be able to use 151 or 191 proof alcohol just fine (according to that page) what temp choice did you use?

Alcohol likely got too hot and flashed up and burned your product. It is unfortunately flammable

Lastly, I am sorry for your loss. 300$ and cleaning up that mess and the cost of everclear is quite a bit :( I rather miss the black market times like this; a solid 200$ I am out and I can always get cheaper for 160$ an oz.
Ya, I set it to 130degreesF. for 8 hours. I called manufacturer. They said faulty thermostat sensor allowed temp to get too high. I didn't buy it from MB.com so warren try is void. But they said to contact the seller and get back to them and they'll work with me on a replacement.
I got the money back for the MB2e. But still out the $300 of flower. And yes, paying the legal dispensary prices sux.

Ohmie

Govrnmnt fund adult circumcision & frenuloplasty!

I just ordered a mb2 thinking it decarboxylated your stuff for you! Why are there people promoting it as if it does all the work for you?

Ohmie,

damm

I just ordered a mb2 thinking it decarboxylated your stuff for you! Why are there people promoting it as if it does all the work for you?

Because there are a lot of people who like to be spoon fed and don't know how to do what they want. I mean if you think about it; how hard is it really?

http://dgoldalchemy.com/ is interesting

Edit:

Actually I kind of got the same gotcha myself; thought it was going to decarb ... I was terribly excited when I got it and then realized I had to decarb my product rushing down to the store for a cheap toaster oven that should work and then off you go.

The real sad part is the bitterness of the product is usually not there if you make cannabutter with boiling water. Sure you loose some potency but the bitterness isn't something they talk about with these machines too much.

Last edited:
damm,
Reactions: Ohmie

Ohmie

Because there are a lot of people who like to be spoon fed and don't know how to do what they want. I mean if you think about it; how hard is it really?

http://dgoldalchemy.com/ is interesting

Edit:

Actually I kind of got the same gotcha myself; thought it was going to decarb ... I was terribly excited when I got it and then realized I had to decarb my product rushing down to the store for a cheap toaster oven that should work and then off you go.

The real sad part is the bitterness of the product is usually not there if you make cannabutter with boiling water. Sure you loose some potency but the bitterness isn't something they talk about with these machines too much.
My ovens inside isn't working so I guess I'll have to try decarbing w the mb2. If it heats it decarbs,right.? The manual suggests an oven but that's totally not their sales angle. Kinda insulting but I plan to get my money's worth

Ohmie,

damm

My ovens inside isn't working so I guess I'll have to try decarbing w the mb2. If it heats it decarbs,right.? The manual suggests an oven but that's totally not their sales angle. Kinda insulting but I plan to get my money's worth

It will not decarb your bud; it will warm it up and you may get some infusion. But without some way to decarb your bud; your kind out of luck.

Some alternatives to skipping decarb; use concentrates ask in the store if it's activated or not... Rosin is for example usually (dunno maybe someday they'll find a process that won't decarb? *shrug)

Are you using Alcohol for a tincture as well? if you have a Sous Vide machine (okay heater and bags and .. ) you could just do that with boiling water and run it that way.

http://www.sousweed.com/blog/decarb

damm,
Reactions: Ohmie

Ohmie

It will not decarb your bud; it will warm it up and you may get some infusion. But without some way to decarb your bud; your kind out of luck.

Some alternatives to skipping decarb; use concentrates ask in the store if it's activated or not... Rosin is for example usually (dunno maybe someday they'll find a process that won't decarb? *shrug)

Are you using Alcohol for a tincture as well? if you have a Sous Vide machine (okay heater and bags and .. ) you could just do that with boiling water and run it that way.

http://www.sousweed.com/blog/decarb
All I got is vg, pg, and the mb2e. Since i dont have the required tools for the mb2 supersecret oven technique(<sarcasm) I'm using abv at the moment..But what you're saying is get a Ziploc bag and boil away? Might need athermostat(which is why I bought the "butter churner" in the first place) but if all else fails I guess I'd be going in that direction

Ohmie,

damm

All I got is vg, pg, and the mb2e. Since i dont have the required tools for the mb2 supersecret oven technique(<sarcasm) I'm using abv at the moment..But what you're saying is get a Ziploc bag and boil away? Might need athermostat(which is why I bought the "butter churner" in the first place) but if all else fails I guess I'd be going in that direction

It's pretty smell proof; you can pick up a Sous Vide and do it for a little more but really all it is boiling water; yes. You can bottle the VG in a mason jar combine it with your ABV and ... go for it !

Here's a small video of mason jars and olive oil; should work if you follow the same method

damm,

Ohmie

It's pretty smell proof; you can pick up a Sous Vide and do it for a little more but really all it is boiling water; yes. You can bottle the VG in a mason jar combine it with your ABV and ... go for it !

Here's a small video of mason jars and olive oil; should work if you follow the same method
Not that I'm fully understanding decarb. How is decarboxylation not automaticaly taking place through being heated during the tincture process? So, should I just raise the temp to 220° for the first hour then do the rest at like 160 or whatever they recommended for the other several?

Ohmie,

damm

Not that I'm fully understanding decarb. How is decarboxylation not automaticaly taking place through being heated during the tincture process? So, should I just raise the temp to 220° for the first hour then do the rest at like 160 or whatever they recommended for the other several?

If you want to run it for 2 hours you should go for a lower temp. Review https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/ for the details on it.

Decarbing too long will turn your product into CBN I believe; not the end of the world if that's what you want... but I have no experience on that.

That's the dirty secret of cooking with Cannabis is you don't want to overdecarb it; but you want to activate it... so how you activate it is important

Top Bottom