Phattpiggies Wood Shed

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@LongDraw I'm still looking. The 10a ones I found are a bit bulky and need a decent cover fitting over the cable terminals.
They use screw terminals under a small plastic cover which isn't something I'd be happy to send out.
Timber has been bought to address this.

No tweeks to the heater. Higher amp PSU speed the click up.

Thank you, I'm glad you like the look of the one piece of wood. There's something nice about the look of them.

Long time since I've done a lidded piece.
Figured Mango, 10mm Blackwood MP with brass and black accents.
The new couplings I found scrub 4mm off the OD, 15mm now.
IMG-20191118-191841.jpg

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Life's way too short to be taking anything seriously, especially oneself.
Had this in mind for a while but the blanks disappeared.
Then as if by magic.....
IMG-20191119-151616.jpg

Unfortunately they aren't the colours of whatever was consumed prior to being evacuated. Unless it was mud.
A good coat of finish really richened it up.
IMG-20191119-151536.jpg

Skunkport

It is important to note that as the seasons change in Alaska so does the diet of the moose and there will be subtle color variations in the blanks depending upon berry consumption of the moose.

Hmmm, a nice stem there but I think I prefer a more summery shade of moose shit myself.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Hope everyone had a great Xmas and we all have a fantastic 2020.
No more talk of poo. It's done now and crossed off the list. Just the stem to do.....

Loads of stuff going on, as ever, which has occupied way too much of my mind. All done and dusted now so hopefully back on track.

The year is starting out nice and steady as I set about a revamp and add an extension to the shed. Really looking forward to getting it all back to rights.

End of last year saw a few things come together.

PHAAF's for starters.
IMG-20191203-155047.jpg

IMG-20191212-142546.jpg

IMG-20191210-183316.jpg

IMG-20200107-195420.jpg

Also decided to use some Black Palm, only a bit differently. This stuff can only be described as a soft brown spongy pith full of black needles, which get spat out at you.

In the picture you can see the black lines running across the top surface normally they run lengthways along the blank. Cross cutting it shows off the 'wood' really well.
IMG-20191202-155934-645.jpg

Walnut burr veneeer and black pvc for the accents, Blackwood for the stem.
IMG-20191202-142135.jpg

Bog Oak and alternative Ivory piece that went down to Brazil. Customer played around with some pictures until they had the stem the way they wanted it.
IMG-20191122-164914.jpg

The Yew and Briar Burl acrylic case got it's stem.
IMG-20200107-192638.jpg

Yew starts out very light coloured but with exposure to the air and light it really richens up.
IMG-20200106-205854.jpg

No way of stopping this happening. UV inhibitors can be used but they only slow it down rather than halt it in it's tracks.

The Yew bowl was turned ages ago and you can see the foot is lighter than the underside, it's still darkened up.
Exposure to the light has really changed the top surface.
IMG-20200106-210533.jpg

All woods do this, Osage being one of the most dramatic. Going from that rich yellow to mud.

Playing with an 18mm today, not many requests for them, difficult to make the fat bottom into anything slender looking. This one drops too far into the joint but it seals and shows it can be made to look a little less 'dumpy'.
IMG-20200107-163401.jpg

Really busy first quarter of the year, too busy for my poor head to cope with.

All for the greater good and should allow a bit more idea exploration and improve a few more things.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Happy New Year! Yep, '19 was a really bad one, might 2020 be good enough to compensate. A least I wish you the very best and hope to see you again this year.

P.S. Something is wrong with the pic of the bog oak. Can't pin it in no way. It's a pity it really is a nice one

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Great stuff! Liking the plain-barrel VC receiver. Particularly fond of 'slimline' stems myself.

Thought; counter-bore the first blank to overhang the metal barrel with, say, a millimeter+ clearance.
Just a thought on finger protection. Leave the VC fins exposed. Maybe a few other advantages come from this.
This would be reserved for a wider-skirted stem of course, but could be interesting.
Is that what you are doing with the Walnut Burr and the last one?

I love the way some lighter woods age gracefully. :D

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
@TommyDee the slimline stems taper down to the MP and the hot end.
They are thicker by a mm or so where your fingers would naturally fall when palmed and span.
I've found there is less of a tendency to hold the stem where it tapers down to the Ti.
But it happens and you swear.

This is where I am as far as hot end options goes. Some other ideas in the works as well.
The longest Blackwood and Black Palm stem has what I've been calling a top hat, barrel with a rim.
The same pieces are in the 3 aluminium HE.
Once I have all the ali pieces they will be sent out for anodising.
Black but with the ends of the fins sanded back for that nice black and silver contrast.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Apologies for the 'thread neglect' had loads to deal with and not posted enough at all.

@Moses Baca your good lady and yourself did really well to hold off for so long. I'm really happy both pieces are being enjoyed.

Thank you @almost there.

@im not a robot thank you for the kind words and I'm looking forward to getting your piece together.

Been too much going on this last month and travelling or lengthy phone calls seem wasted time.
Just have to keep reminding myself that it's all for the greater good.

Flying into Vegas for Winter Champs tomorrow evening so it seemed only fitting that a couple of stems got made for such an occasion.

Alternative Jade and black acrylic triple piece.
Also an Olivewood square.
Added a removable condenser that's got a 10mm MP fixed to it.
IMG-20200219-164605.jpg

These have been a good exercise in grey matter stimulation.
IMG-20200215-092816-959.jpg

The black jars are looking great no matter the wood used for the lid.
Chakte Viga, Bog Oak, Chakte again, Olivewood and Blackwood.
Found a bigger jar as well. Working towards a faster and better way of making these.
IMG-20200221-122736.jpg

Had a customer ask if this would be possible. Bought a Walnut grinder from the only place that had one over here, Poland, and tried it out.
IMG-20200219-170409-807.jpg

The tip sits snug in the funnel so there is no way of any kief or fine powder going down the side of the VC. The funnel also fits nicely onto the grinder.
IMG-20200219-170409-798.jpg

Last edited:

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Great times with great people at Champs.
Quick trip off the tarmac in Red Rock Canyon.
Many thanks @VAPEHUNTER we were like giggling school kids.
For those who've asked about the clicks. SS tips
And for those who like to see shit working. 3 more heat cycles after this with no regard for the cool click. Spaced them out rather than all in one.
Extracts on rayon. Turn the volume back down if you upped it for the clicks.
Changed my mind about where to take the triples a couple of times. They require bigger blanks for starters, just going with the flow.

Top Bottom